• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on floor 11 now, but...

The was seriously the coolest fucking puzzle in the game so far. I loved the idea of having things happen differently because you're filming it. It took me a bit to figure out getting the bucket of water filled, but then I realized that there was a reason they had the rubber ducky fall in the well to have it on the Ring girl's head.

Also loved the references like the girl in the well being the Ring, the big Godzilla scene. There were the posters in the entrance hall of the studio, and I noticed they were all of Next Level Games games. I saw Dark Moon, Punch-Out Wii, Mario Strikers Charged, and what was the other one, Federation Force? It was on the left and I couldn't really tell what it was.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I turned off the hints in the early part of the game because I was irritated with E.Gadd giving away the puzzle solutions before I could even work out what I was doing, but now I'm just going to leave them on. This "Oh, you thought you were going to the next floor? Well a ghost cat ate your key and now you have to go all the way back through the floor you just cleared" part is really not something I want to be doing.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's by far the best in the series and I'm only on 14F. Kudos to NLG for delivering this sublime game.

Sep 24, 2019
This game is so charming.

I am probably obsessing way too hard over getting all the gemstones and money.
I am still in the first 5 floors but I dont wanna leave until I got that gemstone in the lobby that is hanging high up on the wall.

Wonkertonk

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Warwick, England
My game keeps crashing upon the final "slam" of the Floor 6 Boss.
The Castle arena with the jousting ghost

Anyone else experienced this crash/bug and been able to find a fix?

Thanks.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
That goes for everything from your directional control while aiming the Poltergust to the binding of the Gooigi swapping to the R-stick. This game was a strong reminder of why I've always hated everything to do with clickable sticks; I've never encountered a situation where I liked them, and quite often, as here, they are outright bad. "Press once to swap, press twice to cancel Gooigi" is unreliable enough as it is in the heat of anything intense. But what's even worse is the difficulty of pressing the R-stick without nudging it, a problem for this game specifically when certain puzzle interactions require you to fire the Poltergust at an object with one character while swapping to the other. Eventually, playing on detached Joy-Cons, it got to the point where the most accurate way of doing this, I found, was reaching over to the R-stick with my left thumb while still holding the left Joy-Con in my left hand, while holding ZR with my right hand.
Appreciated your thoughts on the game, but this procedure made my head spin reading it. lol

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm still pretty early in the game but is there any point to money at all?

I've collected 10k and thought I would be purchasing upgrades or something.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I straight up cannot believe that I am sitting here in November 2019 playing a newly released video game that respawns you outside a boss arena and MAKES YOU SIT THROUGH AN UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENE when you lose to the boss. What are we doing here? This game has a 'skip cutscene' button, with a prompt that shows up every time you use a key to unlock a door, but won't let you use it on boss cutscenes. Good grief.

Also this game has the most obnoxious low health warning I've ever encountered. It's bad enough when Zelda games beep at you if you drop below one heart, but this game does a loud heartbeat beep and controller vibration, and it starts doing it as soon as you hit 39/99 health. With the way health goes in chunks of 20 in this game, it's basically the moment you drop below half health the game starts hassling you about it. And then when you hit 19/99 the beeping actually drowns out all the other sounds in the game and the vibration ramps up even further. Why? Who thought this was necessary?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Man I wanted to co op this last evening but I had to play for like an hour to get the co op function. Its silly that it's not there from the start. Great game though. It looks really good and the mechanics are excellent. The puzzle's aren't easy to solve too so it's fun trying to figure out how to move forward.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I just got started playing the game… is there really no option to invert the controls?
Are there any controllers for the Switch that offer a remapping feature which makes it easy to fix this? (preferably split design)

Last edited:

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
Just beat the game and man that was a lot of fun. I am still floored with how cool the floor 8 and 12 boss were. I got to say though I didn't really enjoy the ending for the game. I kind of prefer how Dark Moon wrapped things up.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it today and sadly I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped for. Game is so goddamn charming and technically well done, but there were two big things that hampered the experience for me. First one is the basic ghost fights. They never evolve to anything, they're excatly the same from the beginning to the end of the game. Second problem was that the puzzles never made me feel clever in anyway. There is such a small arsenal of moves in the game so you basically solve every problem the same way, shine torch, use vacuum, stomp or use Gooigi.

Charming game with some cool boss fights, but was hoping for more. 7/10

Oct 27, 2017
Picking this up on the way home today... excited to get started.

Not that I expect much complexity in this game, but is there anything recommended for a first time Luigi's Mansion player?

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so, im struggling to find the sttategy to fight the medieval times thingy boss, can someone give me a tip? what am i missing?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, me too. Didn't understand what was so bad about it. I thought it was great and on par with the rest of the game.

The Boss Fight is the worst in the game. The unintuitive controls + the inability to choose where you get back into the Pool after hitting the spikes make it much harder and more dependant on luck than it should have been.
Only blemish on an otherwise sublime game imo.

Oct 27, 2017
F14 was a lot of fun
That dance battle sequence was cute as fuck, those little blue ghost were hittin' It lol. DJ Phantasmagoria was a really fun boss fight too. The acting in her animation was so charming, and I love how she used her big old afro wig as a shield from Luigi's flashlight.
I really love this game, it just oozes with personality and creativity.
Going by most of the impressions from this thread, it seems as if the game deserved to review better than what it did...
86 on MC is pretty great, it's basically a B+ aggregate (which, as pointed out, is absolutely nothing to scoff at), lots of 9s n' whatnot, but yeah...after playing the game it feels like it should be higher than an 86.

May 5, 2018
Also I want to say y'all weren't kidding about the B2 fight. That SUCKED. I won't go into details on the fight exactly but I lost all of my bones and died on my third try because I was really infuriated with how it was set up. Thankfully got a continue with my bones back and managed to beat the boss after that, but with little health left. Thank goodness this game is great at making sure the player gets healed up after having some difficulty though. Now I'm onto

Tomb Suites, which is substantially better than B2 already because the pyramid room has all of this sand that you can freely suck up and its lots of fun. Its actually a technical marvel for the Switch seeing all of this sand get vacuumed or see it build up when you blow out sand and see how the sand reacts to Luigi messing with all of that sand tech.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
For sure - but I feel like most people are looking at this game like it deserved 90 or more. I mean I'm reading really high praise. For example, that 8.3 from IGN seems pretty low.

You're going out of your way to read those posts then. How many people in this thread have complained about the controls? I've seen multiple people say they gave up at the B2 boss (which still baffles me, I didn't have any issues). The slam move is a very common complaint as well.

The game is great in a lot of ways. The graphics and animation are impressive and the bosses are great, but it's also obviously flawed.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The Boss Fight is the worst in the game. The unintuitive controls + the inability to choose where you get back into the Pool after hitting the spikes make it much harder and more dependant on luck than it should have been.
Only blemish on an otherwise sublime game imo.
Luck? There's nothing based on luck in regards to that fight.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Just 2 hours in and I'm blown away by the polish and presentation here. Seems like the scale is also much larger that the other games in this series.

The amounts of coins and dollars though seems a bit ridiculous. Kinda takes away from the thrill of finding things but this is a minor complaint.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not even funny how much this game blows away the first 2 games. It really feels like this series was taken to the next level (no pun intended)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Scarescraper with randoms, not even once.
Gawwwwd dang, so you swipe the final toad from the room that I cleared with a minute left and then go to investigate some balconies instead of returning the toad so we all fail and all the floors prior were a waste of time.

Shit me sideways, nothing is worse than feeling powerless during a 99 percent guaranteed win, at least I got to use my boo face flashlight in here I guess.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the infamous B2 boss. Yeah, I can see how that one sticks out to some people as being a blemish. It only took me two tries, so it's not like it was anywhere near unbearable or anything, but the controls for that fight definitely get in the way more often than they should.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game, I just wish the repeated animations would be skippable.
If you've seen one elevator button floating to it's designated place you've seen them all.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Hellen bossfight feels made for co-op and is pretty damn tense to do solo. At the final boss now and the final phase is no joke either. It's at fights like these that the low health alarm really starts to annoy me.