• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finished the game yesterday, it's really good, lots of nice puzzles and secrets, tons of interactions, stellar animations, varied setting, an so on!

my only grip is that again, collectable don't get you anything worthwhile (still interesting to do for the puzzles though)

and that despite looking open, the floors are all separate so in the end there's less a sense of exploration (it's still fun to go through regardless, don't get me wrong)

Also i freaking lost it at :

that freaking old boy reference (in addition to other movies reference)... never thought i would see old boy in a mario game, lol

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 has been updated to Version 1.2.0. Check out patch notes for the update below.
Added Features

- Downloadable Content button was added to the title menu.
Story
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing when going down to B2 in the elevator.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing during the battle with King MacFrights.
- Fixed an issue that caused the camera to show the out-of-bounds area during the battle with Dr. Potter.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing by not allowing the player to insert the elevator button while playing through the Paranormal Productions floor.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Luigi from leaving the building in Studio 3 on the Paranormal Productions floor.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing by sending Luigi flying out of bounds during the battle in the Exhibit - Hall on the Unnatural History Museum Floor.
- Fixed an issue that made the enemies stop moving during the battle with Serpci.
General

- Fixed several issues to improve gameplay experience.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
DLC: -
Just when Luigi thought it was safe to get a night's rest, duty beckons as waves of new ghosts and mini-games arrive as paid downloadable content for the Luigi's Mansion 3 game on the Nintendo Switch system. With two new expansions planned for 2020, there's never been a better time to gear up for more ghost hunting.

The Luigi's Mansion 3 Multiplayer Pack includes both Part 1 and Part 2, which will not be available for individual purchase, and can be pre-purchased starting now for $9.99 in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch.
Luigi's Mansion 3 Multiplayer Pack Part 1 will arrive by April 30, 2020. The DLC includes three new mini-games for the multiplayer ScreamPark mode.* It also introduces three new outfits for Luigi with matching floor themes and new themed ghosts in the cooperative ScareScraper mode. And as a special bonus for those who purchase the DLC, players will receive an in-game Polterpup light called the Flashlight Type-P. Players can use this during Story Mode or ScareScraper.

Luigi's Mansion 3 Multiplayer Pack Part 2 will launch by July 31, 2020, with additional content and features for both ScreamPark and ScareScraper modes. There will be three more new mini-games for ScreamPark mode, as well as three new ScareScraper outfits with matching floor themes and themed ghosts.

So find your courage, dare to get scared and team up for screams. Luigi's spookiest adventure yet is about to get new waves of ghoulish delights.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game today (got A rank). Excellent game but I wish Polterkitty was a proper boss fight instead of a pace killer. And I hated how rubber duck controlled. Also, unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to skip cutscenes (except for when returning to lab) and that was a dumb decision from developers. I didn't bother getting all gems and Boos, but those what I could find were pretty neat. This was my first experience with Luigi's Mansion-series and it was a very pleasant one indeed.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My brother is getting my son this for Christmas. I'm assuming it's not a big deal, but is there anything we need to know if we've never played the other two?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I haven't seen Cinderella in years (decades?) and holy shit. E Gadd's dialect is straight up taken from the mice. It's very obvious within the first few minutes of the movie. It's crazy.
Edit: wow. Even the laugh. Seriously people with Disney plus. Check it out.

Last edited:

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Luigi's Mansion 3 has been updated to Version 1.2.0. Check out patch notes for the update below.
Added Features

- Downloadable Content button was added to the title menu.
Story
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing when going down to B2 in the elevator.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing during the battle with King MacFrights.
- Fixed an issue that caused the camera to show the out-of-bounds area during the battle with Dr. Potter.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing by not allowing the player to insert the elevator button while playing through the Paranormal Productions floor.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Luigi from leaving the building in Studio 3 on the Paranormal Productions floor.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing by sending Luigi flying out of bounds during the battle in the Exhibit - Hall on the Unnatural History Museum Floor.
- Fixed an issue that made the enemies stop moving during the battle with Serpci.
General

- Fixed several issues to improve gameplay experience.
Damn my heart goes out to peeps that may have been stuck all this time. Hope they had many save files.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
This game was amazing. I thought the e3 demo castle part was good and that didn't even compare to some of the better floors

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Just finally wrapped this up. Clocked in at about 15 hours for my initial playthrough & a few dips into multiplayer. The final bosses left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm excited to return to the game's strengths down the line by finishing gem/boo hunting.

Overall I loved the game, but it feels like quite an uneven experience re: feeling a sense of progression or story arc.

• Absolutely loved seeing / interacting with Mario, and how he navigated the environment with his typical move-set.
  • Helen was a good fight but felt... basic? after every other boss we had gone through. That entire final floor lacked a new "aha" moment and was an odd way to go out.
  • King Boo's fight was... ugh.
    • Scarescraper sort of spoiled the whole premise.
    • It did little to involve Gooigi or any sort of unique puzzle / environment aspects. Instead, it focused on more twitch-based dodging and such which just isn't the game's strong suit control wise.
    • I was excited with the cutscene going into the final phase... and then all it did was add a timer.
    • Worse, when the timer runs out... Game Over. No cut scene to show the hotel being swallowed up, Luigi's health is just drained.
    • Aim detection on shooting the bombs felt off, especially in the later stages when there were dangers/time to worry about.

Nov 4, 2017
I hope bad things happen to whoever designed the B2 boss fight. I was loving the game up to this point, but the controls are just way too clunky and counterintuitive for this to be reasonable. This fight has completely ruined the game for me.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish the DLC wasn't so amazingly underwhelming. Like does anyone even play the scream park? I'm not sure how they expect to make money off of selling the least interesting mode in the game.

I may would go ahead for it anyway for the costumes, but there's still no real incentive to play Scarescraper. I would play it a lot more if there was some sort of ranking system or something. Can't believe they haven't established something like that. It's really fun but also just empty

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Started playing this yesterday and I'm gobsmacked by how good and polished it is. Pleasantly surprised by the graphics too. Looking forward to the whole game. I've only ever played the first game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that the boss of B2 is getting like all the flack seemingly because I do not think it is entirely deserved. Sure it's not great, but it worked fine for me and it was slapstick and funny enough. It certainly is nowhere near as bad as the ice boss in 2.

And FWIW I found the boss of the Unatural History Museum to be much more frustrating. I couldn't tell whether or not I was supposed to suck or blow the sand away and I could never get all 4 of the snakes in time before it moved onto a different attack. Plus their range along with dealing 20 damage made them very threatening. Barely managed to scrape through somehow.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just finished the movie studio level, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. I had the biggest smile on my face while solving the puzzle to get the director his megaphone, and then that absolutely wonderful boss fight.. That was one of my favorite levels in a video game possibly ever.

And then Polterkitty nearly ruined the whole thing.The whole process sucked, from fighting it three times, to tracking between floors, and dealing with ghost fights in between that served no purpose other than to be annoying road blocks. The worst part though is realizing that I got the elevator button without sucking up that dumb cat, so I have no doubt there will be another stupid Polterkitty section that will do nothing but grind the pace to a halt and piss me off.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So they gave me the game on Christmas. I'm having a great time and I enjoy it much more than Dark Moon.
But now I'm stuck on the very first room of the B2 floor.

I read the last patch notes:
Story

• Fixed an issue that prevented the game from progressing when going down to B2 in the elevator.
I have the game updated, but I'm still stuck on that section.
Can I revert to a previous save, or am I screwed now?

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Got this for Christmas and just finished up Death Stranding. Going to start this tomorrow. Super excited to give this a shot. Absolutely loved the first on the GameCube. Any advice before I start?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, bought the game for my girlfriend's birthday. Now she / we HAD to buy a Switch and we did so today. She has been playing the game for hours now.
Very charming game!!! So much more detail and interactive elements than the Gamecube version (last version we played).
Looks good. On a large screen you can see the limitations (still looks very good) but on the Switch screen it looks incredible.
High quality game.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The game crashed on me today, during the museum boss fight. I did the whole fight, and right as I hit the ghost the last time and was about to suck it up, the game froze and I got an "unexpected error" message. It then dumped me out to the home menu. Has that happened to anyone else?

Oct 25, 2017
This game is such a colossal improvement over Dark Moon. I have some gripes, like fuck the mini map, like just fuck it, but overall it's a great experience so far.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm finally playing this for the first time and couldn't put it down all night. Went to floor 8 and have loved every second of it. This game is incredibly charming, polished and just plain fun. I never really cared for the first game, never played the second one and wasn't sure how I'd feel about this game. I'm very impressed by it!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm finally playing this for the first time and couldn't put it down all night. Went to floor 8 and have loved every second of it. This game is incredibly charming, polished and just plain fun. I never really cared for the first game, never played the second one and wasn't sure how I'd feel about this game. I'm very impressed by it!

I know it's 86 on MC but that's underrating it imo, the game is easily a 90+, it's incredibly addictive, polished, charming, funny, clever and fun (especially in co-op). Even on my 65" 4K it looks great.

Such a surprise as I just bought it because it was on sale, didn't even realise it had online MP too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I know it's 86 on MC but that's underrating it imo, the game is easily a 90+, it's incredibly addictive, polished, charming, funny, clever and fun (especially in co-op). Even on my 65" 4K it looks great.

Such a surprise as I just bought it because it was on sale, didn't even realise it had online MP too.
I just beat it the other day and it was wonderful through out. It's totally a 9/10 game. I too played it all the way through on a 65 4k tv and thought the graphics were outstanding. There's so much great detail in all the constantly surprising floors! I did try the online for a bit with some randoms and while it didn't grab me like the main game did it's still a nice addition just for some added replay. I can also go back and find a bunch of boos and gems as well as the rare ghosts so there's still a lot left to do. Fantastic game overall.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I just started last night and I absolutely love this game. It is oozing with charm. Had a smile on my face the entire time. Looks absolutely beautiful as well.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
How is this game not in convo for goty? It's blowing me away

We're gonna get along just fine. Its going to end up #2 behind Sekiro for me, but it deserves to be in the discussion, not put in a 'best family game' pigeonhole.

I've compared it before to DK: Tropical Freeze, not in the way it plays or anything, but just in the fact that its a brilliant GOTY type game that I think will be considered a classic down the line that was contemporaneously dismissed by many as just another solid update to a Nintendo franchise.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, guys, I'm still on floor 11, but I wanted to ask you this for the guys that have finished the game:

Is every achievement doable in a single playtrough? If I started a new game after this one, will my achievements carry over?

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through this one floor per day. Have arrived at the B2 Ghost Mechanic boss fight and it is unfathomably bad. How did this get past testing? It's one of the most poorly conceived boss fights I've ever experienced in the game. I'm battling the controls more than the actual boss. I had three tries at it (including one I got him down to 6 health) before I'd inevitably vacuum myself into the spikes and have to start again.

What a momentum killer to a game I'd been loving so far

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this one floor per day. Have arrived at the B2 Ghost Mechanic boss fight and it is unfathomably bad. How did this get past testing? It's one of the most poorly conceived boss fights I've ever experienced in the game. I'm battling the controls more than the actual boss. I had three tries at it (including one I got him down to 6 health) before I'd inevitably vacuum myself into the spikes and have to start again.

What a momentum killer to a game I'd been loving so far

Often considered a low point by players. I didn't really struggle with it that much, other than sometimes not being able to get out of the water fast enough. I essentially didn't try to worry about going backwards and forwards in the water, I just always kept moving in one direction and in circles, which made dodging stuff and water controls less complicated.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Often considered a low point by players. I didn't really struggle with it that much, other than sometimes not being able to get out of the water fast enough. I essentially didn't try to worry about going backwards and forwards in the water, I just always kept moving in one direction and in circles, which made dodging stuff and water controls less complicated.

I got through it eventually on my lunchbreak. Relief washing over me realizing I'll never have to fight that guy again. Can get back to enjoying an otherwise excellent game

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The B2 boss isn't so bad when you realize you can leave Gooigi up top, so you don't have to get out of the water to actually attack him when he's stunned.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I bought this game day 1 and finally started it yesterday. It's my first Luigi's Mansion and so far it's living up to the hype. The graphics and animation! The charm! I LOVE IT!

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Finished this in co-op yesterday. Really fun game. The amount of detail in every room is really impressive. The only thing holding it back are iffy controls, hit boxes, and a few frustrating boss encounters (Clem - B2 boss, and King Boo).

Overall, I found most of the bosses to be forgettable. With the exception of the Shark/Pirate World boss. He was phenomenal.

8/10

Oct 25, 2017
I just reached Floor 8 and this game is crazy good, the only problem is that the "Regular ghosts" and not that memorable and too easy but the exploration aspect is fantastic.

I'm not leaving any floor until I have gotten everything you can get and I'm having a blast.

Also, I can't believe how good this game looks, how is this a Switch game?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
What a crazy string of excellence...

A freaking buzzsaw baby! The most satisfying feeling after finally figuring out how to get that megaphone! THAT GODZILLA STYLE BOSS! A demon kitty! A huge possessed dinosaur!

I'm now halfway through B2 Boilerworks. I can see how some people might not like this area. So far I don't really mind it. I'm bracing myself for the boss. I hope it's not that bad.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I never had a problem with that area or the boss. Its not a great area, but I didn't mind it or the boss.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The boss there is a weird one. The first time I played through it I had zero problems with him. Then the speedrun attempt I did after that, that boss completely wrecked me. There seem to be a bunch of AI quirks with him that make him behave quite differently. In that particular attempt he seemed to be gaining more speed than usual on his slap attack which made it nearly impossible to actually dodge it, combine that with the actual momentum based controls of the ducky and you can imagine how infuriating that fight can get. The second speedrun attempt I did I completely wrecked him again like I did the first time I encountered him. Very inconsistent boss fight, so your experience may vary.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
I'm on floor 13 and really loving this game. But I haven't encountered any 'rare ghosts' yet according to my gallery. While I have collected most gems and about 50% of all Boo's.

What's up with that, is it a post-endboss kind of thing?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So I just did the B2 boss. All that fuss for that?! LOL. Y'all suck. Not sure what was supposed to be so difficult?! I did it on my first try and I think he only hit me once.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I turned hints off from the beginning. They really should be disabled by default anyways. The hints kind of ruined the 8th floor. It would've been really fun trying to figure that out on my own, but I'm not sure if I would have. I did notice I got another hint later on so not sure why that happened.

Last edited:

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So I've beaten this 3 times (I have a child who is obsessed with the game). Has there been any mention of a story driven DLC for the game, or can we safely assume it'll be at least another decade before we can see another luigis game :p

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
No talk of any kind of singleplayer dlc. Considering the asset reusing nature of the announced multiplayer dlc I'd probably say it's safer to assume they're already working on their next game while this dlc is already done and sitting in the back waiting for its releasedates.

I do wish they would add some kind of New Game + type of mode to the main game though, something that mixes up the ghost placements or maybe even randomizes it, perhaps makes some floors less puzzle orientated. I would love just playing this game over and over, but the somewhat story and puzzle driven nature of the game makes replaying it a bit of a slog. A more battle orientated new game + would be ideal for me.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the B2 boss first try. Not sure why so many thought this boss fight was so difficult. Was pretty easy. I was expecting to get frustrated based off many of the posts here. Did I just get lucky?