• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
EWNPqLr.png

Developer: Next Level Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Spooktacular Goo-stbusting Action
No. of Players: 1-4 Locally, 2-8 Online
eShop Download Size: 6.3GB
Release Date: October 31st, 2019
Price: $59.99/£49.99/€59.99

1ooOrTB.png

Sequel to the hit 2013 3DS game, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Luigi's Mansion 3 pits everyone's favorite plumber in a decidedly not-mansion-like setting: the Last Resort hotel. Luigi's Mansion 3 takes the best aspects of the original GameCube game (continuous exploration of the mansion, more unique ghosts, the return of Portrait Ghosts) and the 3DS sequel (varied environments, varied moveset) and combines them for what is hopefully to be the best Luigi game yet!

wp4S2e5.png

Luigi, Mario, Peach, Polterpup, and a bunch of Toads have arrived at the Last Resort hotel for their much-needed vacation. Ran by Hallen Gravely, the hotel has everything you could ever want: a personal bellhop, all the sweets you could eat, gorgeous views, and extremely comfy beds...

Yet soon enough, the grave truth of the hotel is revealed; it was all a trap set up by King Boo! He has captured everyone but Luigi and Polterpup in a painting, and now our "brave" hero much put a stop to him once more! Can he make it to the roof of the 17-floor hotel and save his brother and friends? That's on you to determine!

VxrYqTG.png

Defeat ghosts by flashing them with your flashlight, then sucking them up with the Poltergust. Some ghosts may have crafty defenses that require even craftier offenses, but eventually, all of them go into the Poltergust. This time around, E. Gadd has equipped our persistent plumber with the Poltergust G-00, full of new tricks to help him out (detailed below)! In addition to fighting ghosts, there's plenty of puzzles on each floor to complete. You'll have to know all your tools well to get by!

Along with all of his typical devices (the Poltergust G-00, Flashlight, and Darklight), Luigi has a whole host of new moves in his arsenal to get the upper hand on his ghostly conspirators. Here's some of his most notable ones!

HmL1gDW.png
eFnqfgR.png

Vss1qq1.png

Swap between Luigi & Gooigi on the fly in single-player, or have a second player take control of him!
Similar to the first game, Last Resort has 17 floors for you to crawl through, each with their own unique Boos Ghost! From the depressed film director Morty, to the fearsome King MacFrights, there's a bunch of colorful characters to meet along your journey!

giphy.gif

PNrKwfH.png

SCARESCRAPER

A sequel to the fan-favorite mode in the previous game, Scarescraper is back, now with up to 8 players! Team up to fight a host of ghosts, find Toads, and complete a variety of other objectives online or over Local Wireless!

giphy.gif

SCREAMPARK

A host of competitive minigames that up to 8 players can take part in locally! Get ghostly at the poolside as you collect coins in Coin Floating, shiver yer timbers in Cannon Barrage, and more! Note: This mode can only be played using sideways Joy-Cons.

giphy.gif

Additionally, Paid DLC is coming to the game post-launch, adding even more content to Scarescraper and Screampark! Even once Halloween season is over, there'll still be something to fright over... positively of course.

3IPm9Gh.png

Metacritic: 86
OpenCritic: 86

Switch Player (5/5):
You might not be going to Luigi's Mansion 3 for Halloween frights but with so many inspired set-pieces, mechanics and secrets, this is the ghost-gusting adventure at its charming best. But this time Luigi deserves to share his limelight with his green gooey doppelganger.
VentureBeat (92/100):
This is a huge step up for a franchise that has always been enjoyable but never felt special. Well, Luigi's Mansion 3 is special. It's a spooky adventure full of top-notch puzzles and so much charm that you'll be convinced by the end that maybe Luigi has been the best brother all along.
Nintendo Life (9/10):
Luigi's Mansion 3 is not only a graphical powerhouse and showcase for Next Level Games' unrivalled mastery of video game animation, it's also an immense helping of spooky fun as well. The amount of care and consideration poured into every facet of the game is abundantly clear, and it all results in one of the most enjoyable and attractive Switch titles of the year. It's also the undisputed high point of a franchise which – following this sterling release – will hopefully get even more love and attention from Nintendo fandom, and the gaming community as a whole.
USgamer (4/5):
Luigi's Mansion 3 occasionally suffers because of its fixed camera and a ghastly boss fight here and there, but the "goo" overwhelms the bad in this haunting adventure. Sucking up stuff with your Poltergust is still satisfying, and slamming ghosts into each other feels so right. Add buckets of charm, and you have a game that proves—yet again—that Luigi is the superior Mario Brother.

ijmt9Xe.png

9.13.19 Nintendo Direct Trailer

Overview Trailer

Official Site
629ZIET.png

Polterpup best boy.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nice OT.

And for people looking for an answer: yes, this is by far, very far, the most graphically impressive Switch game, hands down. Not only regarding image quality, but also lighting and performance. And it looks insane in both dock and portable modes.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great OT! But what's with the title? The site doesn't exist (gives me an unprotected blank site) and I don't think I get the joke, haha.

edit: Of course the joke is that it's a portable game. It's late, lol.

edit 2: That's a better title. Great work OP!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Can't wait to play it, but I won't be able to till tomorrow afternoon, thankfully I have nothing going on though

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, Hotel Mario gets a sequel after all those years!
Really excited for this, nice OT!

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Whoever came up with the new title, props to you.

Also, I expect lots of Polterpup gifs in this thread.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Played about 15 minutes on handheld. The game looks amazing, dripping with detail and beautiful lighting. The amount of physics, bespoke animations and moving parts everywhere kind of makes the hotel feel alive, the overall atmosphere is really impressive.

In terms of resolution if I had to guess it would be slightly under native 720p, it doesn't have the crispness of Astral Chain but the aliasing isn't as bad (though you can see clearly see shimmering, especially with the shadows).

I actually can't wait to go home and dock it so I can play with my proper headphone setup. If it's like the the previous games the sound design is going to be fantastic and enhance the atmosphere even more.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Played about 15 minutes on handheld. The game looks amazing, dripping with detail and beautiful lighting. The amount of physics, bespoke animations and moving parts everywhere kind of makes the hotel feel alive, the overall atmosphere is really impressive.

In terms of resolution if I had to guess it would be slightly under native 720p, it doesn't have the crispness of Astral Chain but the aliasing isn't as bad (though you can see clearly see shimmering, especially with the shadows).

I actually can't wait to go home and dock it so I can play with my proper headphone setup. If it's like the the previous games the sound design is going to be fantastic and enhance the atmosphere even more.
Shit nice im getting it tomorow morning cant wait

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
My friend had got an advance copy, and we've been playing it on and off this past week in co-op mode. Games been pretty good, and it feels like it has taken the best elements from the GCN & 3DS entries for the ultimate ride.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank coconut gun for the thread title, it was all him! Also, pretty nice OT, gonna keep an eye on the game.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
My own quick impressions.

Didn't play much of Luigi's Mansion 1 apart from small sessions at a friend's house many years ago to compare to, however did finish Dark Moon and while I did enjoy it I ultimately had a few grips about it.
I really like Luigi's Mansion 3 it's my favourite out of the three so far the variety in areas has kept me interested and even surprised me a few times with a good amount of creativity, you have to suspend your dispelief on how the hell the tower has some of these floors but it lends to the overworldly feel of the tower itself.
It's an absolute pure delight trying to interact with the environment, pretty much everything in the game being breakable, vacuumed up or simply prodded to see if its interactable never gets old for me and while getting coins, money and gold bars is super satisfying to collect I do wish it had more of a purpose like concept art rather then boo and gem finders you buy in the shop.

If you plan to play on handheld I cannot stress enough to find a good pair of earphones/headphones I'm normally not picky when it comes to Switch games but I do recommend it with the music being such a strong positive of the game being an improvement over the others, especially with the aesthetic of the tower itself and some more 'jazzy' cues and music at certain parts.
Also looks amazing it may not be *technically* the most impressive game that would probably be DOOM or Witcher 3 but the graphics combined with the art style makes it one of the best looking Switch games I have played.

Gameplay is not hard normal ghosts are a cakewalk and would have frankly loved for the slam move to be on a cool down or perhaps after a long tug of war with the ghosts being able to fling them back for a slam, thankfully the many mini bosses and bosses are alittle tougher and add some unique puzzle elements to make them fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I submit the following for the next one:

The Fear of Gooigi

The presentation and graphics discussion makes me nostalgic for the pre-release days of the original game.

To see scenes of that game, a "fully" realised Luigi that you can play as, was at the time very impactful.

I actually never bought the game, but I've got it pre-owned over the last few years and been dabbling with it.

Loved the 3DS sequel. Never finished it though.

May 5, 2018
Captain Fishhook da best!
SharkPirateBoss-1024x577.jpg

He's just a big pirate shark ghost! I want Captain Fishhook in the next console Mario Kart now.