• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That B2 boss wasn't bad. A little frustrating at first with the controls, but once I figured out which one I really should be using I beat
Him easily after that.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up Floor 8 this morning, holy crap, that was an brilliant level. I loved it, I will admit I was stuck pretty early but once I figured out the gimmick, I was like "oh duh".

Only thing I didn't care for about that level was the ending with the cat. I really didn't like chasing that thing around

Can't wait to hop back on after work

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda wanted Polterkitty to...
be Luigi's cat. I know it was an evil bastard, but still lol... I guess that old hag needs something to keep her company in her painting

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it. While I thought the slam mechanic was too powerful, I did think the presentation, the sense of exploration, and everything else was just top-notch.

Looking forward to the next game.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just want to get a rare ghost. Why do other players have to keep getting them all every time I get to floor 5? Twice in a row one person got five of the six.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Well I'm done with this game, the B2 boss is impossible to control for me. Thanks for ruining an otherwise great experience, Next Level. Fucking assholes.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I beat B2 earlier today and I have to say, while it's certainly a weaker part of the game (especially the boss fight), I didn't have any major issues with it.

I am hoping though, that the game will pick up again from the next floor.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'm only on floor 7 but this is definitely one of my favorite games this year. I had no idea what you even did in Luigi's Mansion last week but I bought the game anyways and boy was that a good decision.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
That B2 boss wasn't bad. A little frustrating at first with the controls, but once I figured out which one I really should be using I beat
Him easily after that.
I think it'd be less frustrating if it gave you a moment to get a handle on the controls, the boss is pretty relentless. Once you know to leave the right stick alone and how to balance blow and suck it's not so bad. But getting there took me some time.

I generally found the controls a bit clunky in the game. The non-inverted Y surprisingly wasn't a huge problem as the game rarely requires you to do vertical aiming quickly, but the right-stick being a rotation rather than direct aiming like the left stick never stopped tripping me up. The control options didn't appear to improve this. edit: I'm wrong - Horizontal movement does give you absolute rather than rotational aiming! The L+R combo for the blacklight also is pretty finicky, having equal chances of coming out as plunger or flashlight.

The most frustrating boss for me wasn't actually B2 (even though I it was bad), but the 10F one. Its mechanics didn't really behave consistently and each time you take a hit trying to figure out which move counters you take some significant damage. Definitely the low point of the game for me.

Last edited:

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Got to the B2 boss this evening. Was kind of dreading it after reading the posts about it in this thread, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think it'd be less frustrating if it gave you a moment to get a handle on the controls, the boss is pretty relentless.
You had an entire section with the rubber duck that led up to this point. The devs probably thought that something like that would be enough to allow people to get a grasp of it.

Maybe they should have added a section where you're supposed to go down? I noticed that a few people in this thread complained about not being able to turn a full 360 degrees when that is absolutely not the case.
Everything about the horrendous controls. I know exactly what to do, but I just can't grasp this.
Just to be on the safe side, can you describe to me what you think you need to do?

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'm enjoying this game, but as some people have said in this thread, the controls are frustrating at times. I never had these problems with LM1.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Floor 7 & 8 last night and while they were fun, and I enjoy how digestible they are, I'm kinda missing the interconnectedness of the first few floors? Like, how you got through half of one floor, but then had to go to the basement before progressing further through that floor. Reminiscent of Metroidvanias.

The last few floors have been quite self-contained and linear in comparison.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You had an entire section with the rubber duck that led up to this point. The devs probably thought that something like that would be enough to allow people to get a grasp of it.

Maybe they should have added a section where you're supposed to go down? I noticed that a few people in this thread complained about not being able to turn a full 360 degrees when that is absolutely not the case.

Just to be on the safe side, can you describe to me what you think you need to do?

I have to think about the controls when I'm using them - to me, that's a sign of bad design. The best controlled games you forget you're even holding a controller.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to think about the controls when I'm using them - to me, that's a sign of bad design. The best controlled games you forget you're even holding a controller.
This is what got me, too. I think that the controls are reversed based on whether you're using the vacuum to suck or blow. So if you have to quickly switch from one to the other in a pinch, it can be very confusing.

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished B2, and i though this is one of the best levels of game yet. Also I found the boss very easy. This level reminds of Banjo Kazooie for some reason, maybe it's music, or puzzles.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting this as I was the very last post of a page and I'm a stickler for how wonderful this particular piece of animation was

——————————————————

Man, the animation is this game is truly on another level. It's not hearsay, it's so real. Not only is it just beautiful, but the amount of detail and it's potential for natural story telling in nearly every moment is astounding.

I was replaying the final fight and...

When Luigi goes to finally suck up King Boo for good, the little animation exchange is incredible. He snags him by the tounge, and then King Boo moves in close to attempt to scare him by looking him point blank directly in the eyes. Luigi shudders and closes his eyes and turns his head, and King Boo uses that opportunity to attempt to shake free. But then Luigi looks back at him, still horrified but determined, gets a grip, and manages to pull him in to finally end it. It's pretty much the perfect way to sum up Luigi's strengths throughout these journeys. All purely through a few seconds of godlike animation.

Absolutely magnificent and insanely impressive. What an amazingly talented group of people NLGs are in regards to telling little stories like this through animation. Nintendo needs to buy these peeps.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished B2, and i though this is one of the best levels of game yet. Also I found the boss very easy. This level reminds of Banjo Kazooie for some reason, maybe it's music, or puzzles.
I was going to say this. The level reminded me of Banjo Kazooie lol. I think it reminded me of the Clankers Cavern.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get some complaints about the music, it's fantastic, like jazzy and catchy. Really like it.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
This game is really cool; secretly becoming one of my favourite 2019 releases.

Did have some problems with the boss at the stage 😅

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
B2 was awesome, but I think one less screen of the 2nd half would of balanced it well. Boss was not hard and I had no issues with the controls.

I'm genuinely surprised peeps are having control problems. I hope ya'll ain't using the face buttons and instead all the shoulder buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm enjoying this game so much that I've hit the point where I just don't want it to end. I've still got four floors to go with about 15 hours of playtime. Once you reach that piano the game really comes together. The bosses are so good.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did I read this right... I'm playing on the Switch Lite. Does the Boo detector really not work at all for me since I don't have rumble? There's no on-screen indicator or anything? Is this feature essentially locked out to non-rumble users?

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I've finished the game. I'm just going back through and getting gems/boos now. I would really prefer to avoid using the gem finder if I can, but I'm running out of options. Anybody someone could give me a hint on the last music floor one I'm missing? I think it's floor 4, and if I remember right I'm missing the clear gem.

Did you unlock the Poltergeist upgrade? If so, destroy that wall behind the electrical socket and use the tv to find the. Gem in a bag of popcorn

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Reposting this as I was the very last post of a page and I'm a stickler for how wonderful this particular piece of animation was

——————————————————

Man, the animation is this game is truly on another level. It's not hearsay, it's so real. Not only is it just beautiful, but the amount of detail and it's potential for natural story telling in nearly every moment is astounding.

I was replaying the final fight and...

When Luigi goes to finally suck up King Boo for good, the little animation exchange is incredible. He snags him by the tounge, and then King Boo moves in close to attempt to scare him by looking him point blank directly in the eyes. Luigi shudders and closes his eyes and turns his head, and King Boo uses that opportunity to attempt to shake free. But then Luigi looks back at him, still horrified but determined, gets a grip, and manages to pull him in to finally end it. It's pretty much the perfect way to sum up Luigi's strengths throughout these journeys. All purely through a few seconds of godlike animation.

Absolutely magnificent and insanely impressive. What an amazingly talented group of people NLGs are in regards to telling little stories like this through animation. Nintendo needs to buy these peeps.
I just finished the game myself and
I love how much they hammed up the differences between Luigi and Mario. It made me feel for Luigi and how strong he is in overcoming such a terrifying situation compared to his fearless brother.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that a few people in this thread complained about not being able to turn a full 360 degrees when that is absolutely not the case.

It's because the rubber duck gets caught on the environment in the hallway section. If you're up against the top or bottom walls, Luigi won't be able to fully turn. You need to move a bit away from them.

Wait, did I read this right... I'm playing on the Switch Lite. Does the Boo detector really not work at all for me since I don't have rumble? There's no on-screen indicator or anything? Is this feature essentially locked out to non-rumble users?

The goo in Luigi's vacuum will bubble when you're near a boo. Or is the boo detector the item from E. Gadd's shop? In which case no idea

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Up to floor 9 now and it's actually unbelievable how much better this is than Luigi's Mansion 2. I can't believe the same team made it.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I took me a while to figure out the [floor 10] Cleopatra boss because I thought I had to get rid of all the snakes and didn't think vacuuming her face made a difference. I died like 4 times before this clicked. Tense floor too with the timed puzzles. Quit at floor 12 and this is looking like another fun one.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing a bit more last night and yeah, I'm starting to feel it's going to be another Nintendo classic for me. It has all the qualities of an EPD game. Clever mechanics and level design, highly interactive, lots of attention to detail and extremely polished.
Gooigi is a brilliant addition as is the drain cleaner contraption. Very fun to use.
Shaping up to be the very best 3D adventure AAA game of the year for me.

Up to floor 9 now and it's actually unbelievable how much better this is than Luigi's Mansion 2. I can't believe the same team made it.

This too.
I wonder who did the game design for both and if it's the same director.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just made it to the 10th floor, and WOW, this game just likes to keep topping itself, doesn't it? What a freaking amazing game LM3 is.

As for B2, I found the level to be decent. The back and forth between Luigi and Gooigi really came in to play in this stage. As for the boss, I managed to get him first try, but I can definitely see how it would be a pain for some players that are struggling with the controls.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I finished B2 this morning and I think it's been the weakest level of the game. It looked great and started off well enough. Yet, once you get to the floating on the water section, it took a nose dive for me.

I just really didn't care for that, probably due to the controls? I don't know, I just didn't have fun with it. I tried to get through it as quickly as possibly and didn't spend much time searching for hidden items or gems. The boss was ok though, got him first try but it was a bit annoying for sure.