• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since i was a kid, I wanted Luigis Mansion. Used to suffer thru the greasy McDonald's that had Gamecubes set up to play it. A few more price drops and Ill get a switch

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it earlier today and went back to get the rest of the gems and boos. Really solid game. I feel a more metroidvania approach would have worked better, but the different themed floors were at least a lot of fun. I was especially impressed by how many puzzles they managed to come up with given the limited control options. I'm not a huge fan of the clearly (and of course logically) western-style art direction. The ghosts themselves are really ugly looking and the music had a similar vibe For lack of a better comparison, it all felt a bit too Nickelodeon for my tastes. Overall, those are minor issues, the design was really good throughout. The collectibles were fun to find and there wasn't an overabundance of them. It also didn't overstay its welcome, I finished it in 14 hours and it took another 4 or so to find the rest of the collectibles.

So yeah a really solid, complete game. Bring on the next I say.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just finished it, great game and importantly it didn't overstay its welcome and ended when it felt right. The final boss was definitely not the best one though, I'd rank quite a few if not most floor bosses above it.

Looked at the rewards for finding all boos and gems... that's so not worth the effort lol

Last edited:

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest missed opportunity: themed outfits for Luigi. Make the gems and money worthwhile and have outfits that match the theme of the floors like in Mario Odyssey.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Looked at the rewards for finding all boos and gems... that's so not worth the effort lol
Meanwhile I've been tracking all of those down just because I don't want the game to end. I assume there's like, no reward. That's fine, tracking down the gems itself is fun, the boos on the other hand feel a bit pointless since they're all super easy to defeat and there's nothing particularly interesting about finding them.

Apr 21, 2018
I turned off the hints in the early part of the game because I was irritated with E.Gadd giving away the puzzle solutions before I could even work out what I was doing, but now I'm just going to leave them on. This "Oh, you thought you were going to the next floor? Well a ghost cat ate your key and now you have to go all the way back through the floor you just cleared" part is really not something I want to be doing.

My least favourite part of the game so far.

Apr 21, 2018
For sure - but I feel like most people are looking at this game like it deserved 90 or more. I mean I'm reading really high praise. For example, that 8.3 from IGN seems pretty low.

An 86 means it got more 9s than 8s, but this might be my GOTY so I'd definitely lean closer to 9. I actually would have expected a little higher reviews myself especially from IGN who gave Dark Moon a 9.3. I'm really, really floored by the animation in this game. It's incredibly polished, well designed, and unique, and definitely the best in the trilogy.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I beat Floor 7 but now have to deal with PolterCat and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it out of Floor 6 bathtub. I smashed all the fruits, Gooigi checked the drain underneath the tub, and everything else along with other rooms in the Floor. I can find nothing to turn the water on. I hate this cat.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Floor 7 but now have to deal with PolterCat and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it out of Floor 6 bathtub. I smashed all the fruits and everything and yet there is nothing to turn the water on. I hate this cat.
I think you can just vacuum the bath taps. If not, there might be an issue with the plumbing...

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I tried that, and if it works here I'm going to be pissed, I spent 90 minutes last night exploring trying to figure out what the hell. I'll report back shortly.
Looking at a video now it's
use big melon to smash the smaller ones in the tub, blow or suck the valves to turn on the water, then flash the little shit when it panics

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Looking at a video now it's
use big melon to smash the smaller ones in the tub, blow or suck the valves to turn on the water, then flash the little shit when it panics
How was I suppose to know that when all other tub-related puzzles clearly show the tub with cracks in it to indicate a breakable object. That's dumb.

Ok I beat it, I must have not have tried blowing it, I swear I did yesterday, oh well it's finally done. Thanks for the help Firebrand, your answer saved me a lot more frustration.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike the fact that you need to play ScareScraper to unlock all the ghosts for the Gallery. Solo mode is impossible.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't quite follow your line of argumentation. I don't know why you are telling me that you're a PhD student.

Some people have superiority complex. Just because they're going to be a doctor or have some kind of medical degree makes them think higher of themselves. We don't need to know if you're "smarter" because you're going for your PhD.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Floor 10 boss:

What an absolute chore. I've found almost every bossfight in this game to be overlong, with just too much wasted time on the 'wait until the boss becomes vulnerable' phase, and this one took the cake. The fight felt like it went on for 15 minutes, just waiting for the boss to go into her vulnerable state. Her attacks aren't difficult to dodge, there's no test of skill, just mindless waiting until you're allowed to damage her.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The low health alarm is baffling and makes the game unplayable to be honest.
Fortunately it does happen basically only in fights and after you can heal up quickly, but holy molly is it annoying. Patch this Nintendo seriously.

Otherwise this game is great, the pacing, presentation and vibe is top tier. And while the controls are far from perfect the game manages to be fun and engaging throughout.

Very happy with my purchase so far (just completed the 4th floor).

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Pacing is actually one of my major complaints so far. There is a lot of padding here, particularly in the later stages of the game. I don't know why they felt the need to make the game longer, but there are so many unnecessary instances of forcing you back through an entire floor you've just finished, if not two floors in the case of the Polterkitty part. There's enough great, unique content here that it'd be a respectably meaty game simply running through each floor once; being padded out on top of that just makes it feel overlong.

I'm up to Floor 11 now, which makes you go through the whole floor once to reach the boss, then sends you back through every room in a different order, with combat in each one this time, before you're actually allowed to fight the boss. The game doesn't need this stuff.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Meanwhile I've been tracking all of those down just because I don't want the game to end. I assume there's like, no reward. That's fine, tracking down the gems itself is fun, the boos on the other hand feel a bit pointless since they're all super easy to defeat and there's nothing particularly interesting about finding them.
Yeah I'd like to find all the gems too, figuring out those secrets is one of the best parts of the game. Like there's a red gem on the second floor that's been driving me crazy. There's a peephole showing it, but no way to get to it.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
So I just finished the game what a great game, my favourite thing about the game is of course was the gameplay but seriously Nintendo you need to start making lots of cutscenes for your game they were a delight to watch

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Floor 10 boss:

What an absolute chore. I've found almost every bossfight in this game to be overlong, with just too much wasted time on the 'wait until the boss becomes vulnerable' phase, and this one took the cake. The fight felt like it went on for 15 minutes, just waiting for the boss to go into her vulnerable state. Her attacks aren't difficult to dodge, there's no test of skill, just mindless waiting until you're allowed to damage her.

Agreed, I didn't care much for this fight and I was really excited for it given the theme. But it was fairly boring unfortunately.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Floor 10 boss:

Wait, what?

You vaccum the sand until it goes down, it takes 5 minutes to end the fight if you know what you're doing. Most things do have things beyond "wait unitl the boss becomes vulnerable'

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to invert aim? I looked in settings and couldn't find any.

Any other game and I'd assume I just didn't see it. But since this is nintendo I bet there isn't a way.

Edit: Just Googled it and there is not. Completely unacceptable to not be an option for a game released in 2019. Any other developer and they'd be getting tons of shit for this.

Im enjoying the game, but it's frustrating not being able to play in my preferred way. And playing this while I'm also playing call of duty is really throwing me off.

Last edited:

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Any other game and I'd assume I just didn't see it. But since this is nintendo I bet there isn't a way.

Edit: Just Googled it and there is not. Completely unacceptable to not be an option for a game released in 2019. Any other developer and they'd be getting tons of shit for this.
There's several pages of this thread giving them shit for it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's unacceptable.

Jan 11, 2018
The original game had inverted aim but no option for non inverted. Equally as annoying. Thankfully I'm mostly able to get used to any control scheme. Now joycon drift, which effected me terribly with this game... THAT is annoying.

Nov 26, 2017
Scarescraper with randoms, not even once.
Gawwwwd dang, so you swipe the final toad from the room that I cleared with a minute left and then go to investigate some balconies instead of returning the toad so we all fail and all the floors prior were a waste of time.

Shit me sideways, nothing is worse than feeling powerless during a 99 percent guaranteed win, at least I got to use my boo face flashlight in here I guess.
Try playing a floor where you have to collect money, and then one player goes, sucks up the biggest sources of cash possible, and then leaves the game, rendering the entire floor almost impossible to complete

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this up today (with all the gems and Boos of course).
The Master Suite was a really great floor to cap everything off with. I LOVED how all of the laser puzzles factored into Helen Gravely's boss battle. And, woah, King Boo was tough! I used up four golden bones fighting him and his clones. This game is honestly filled to brim with great boss battles, I love it!
The ending was also really cute! They need to make the next 2D Mario look like those illustrations in the credits sequence.
What a fantastic game! NLG games did an amazing job with this one.
You know, When NLG announced that they'd be going back to a singular location ala Luigi's Mansion 1 for this game I was honestly bummed out... I thought "...here is yet another Switch-era entry in a 1st party series that I love doing something that is completely unappealing to me...like, why go back to one singular building for a $60 action-adventure game in 2019??".
I imagined that the game would basically be about traversing and backtracking through a bunch of same-y looking hotel hallways. Which bummed me out because I really loved the multiple, uniquely themed haunts of LM2: Dark Moon.
So color me surprised and delighted that when I play through this game I'm greeted by a bunch of tightly focused, self-contained, uniquely themed floors to solve puzzles, fight ghost, and explore in.
This was honestly the first 1st party Nintendo game on the Switch to really resonate with me, it really appealed to my sensibilities. Hell, it even managed to scratch that OoT-style 3D Zelda itch that I've had for the past 8 years.
Great stuff, man, great stuff!

I can't wait for the next one!
I kind of hope they just abandon the idea of keeping Luigi and co. in one building though. Take us to a haunted fantasy forest, a haunted mesoamerica-style ruin, a haunted cruise ship, a haunted village all within the same game.

Last edited:

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
After beating the game
So the only asshole ghosts were the ones in the original right? They were not mind controlled, they were just assholes.

Also I loved how PISSED King Boo was with Luigi in the boss fight.

[\SPOILER]

Jan 11, 2018
This was honestly the first 1st party Nintendo game on the Switch to really resonate with me, it really appealed to my sensibilities.

Sorry to pick out this one little line out of your detailed write up (which I really liked). But I just wanted to say this is how I feel as well. I know I'm in the extreme minority, but Nintendo first party has really disappointed me with the Switch so far. That all changed with LM3 thankfully. I loved pretty much everything about it, and for me it's the first GREAT first party Switch game, other than perhaps Super Mario Maker 2. I can't say enough good things about it. NLG did a terrific job here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the Godzilla fight, and then sucked up Morty apropos of nothing.

I feel like a monster.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to pick out this one little line out of your detailed write up (which I really liked). But I just wanted to say this is how I feel as well. I know I'm in the extreme minority, but Nintendo first party has really disappointed me with the Switch so far. That all changed with LM3 thankfully. I loved pretty much everything about it, and for me it's the first GREAT first party Switch game, other than perhaps Super Mario Maker 2. I can't say enough good things about it. NLG did a terrific job here.
Its pretty cool to know that I'm not alone in this regard.
Its honestly so strange to be in a generation where Nintendo is financially successful and highly relevant but you're just kind of like "meh...that was fine, not my cup of tea though..." on most of the notable 1st party titles.
Thank the gaming gods for LM3 lol

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Just reached Floor 10...this game, man. Creativity, level design and presentation are unbridled, the most fun I've had with any game this year. My GOTY for sure.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday and loved it. It's definitely among my top Switch games and probably only behind stuff that is available elsewhere (Mario Kart 8/Tropical Freeze on Wii U, Celeste which I played on PS4 personally off the top of my head). Here are some pluses and minuses:

+ How varied the level themes were. I loved how there were some floors that made sense in a hotel and other stuff that was just totally out there. Also there were many types of floors from a design/layout perspective. Some were just a series of flat rooms. Another like a four-story tower. Another like one big puzzle. My favorite floors were Floor 10 and 8.
+ Just generally the level design and mechanics, but also all the neat little mechanics or level design ideas they'd add even just for a level to keep things interesting from a gameplay standpoint. For instance
the sawblade and swinging in the garden level or how sand was used in the Egyptian Tomb level.
+ Excellent boss fights. Both from a gameplay standpoint and because they had a lot of character to them. Floor 12's might have been my favorite.
+ The graphics were top-notch for Switch and I loved all the animations.
+ Funny story and cutscenes.
+ Not as much backtracking as the first two games (like being ping ponged around in the first or having to go back through similar spaces in second because of the mission structure).
+ Gooigi was great! I liked the new jump maneuver too.
+ Cleverly hidden collectibles in the gems.

- Would have been nice if there was something worthwhile to spend the money on. I still liked collecting it though!
- I think it would have been cool if there was some worthwhile interplay between floors. Like if two had to be moved between in an organic way. It would have been neat to see two themes mashed up a bit maybe once through this. The only time they really had you go back to another floor weren't sections I really cared for all that much
the cat chase parts and the return to B2 for Toad.
- Wish a couple of the floors had more to them, particularly ones that were mostly just boss fights. Like I wish we would have gotten
to explore the pirate ship! Maybe something more to the museum/fossil floor too.

Also didn't have too much trouble with B2, but it did keep throwing me off to switch between the way Luigi was aiming on foot and how he aimed in the floatie. I imagine it would have been easier if I was using the alternate control scheme as that seemed to play similarly to the floatie controls (I think so at least). I liked the idea of the mechanic, but I can certainly see why people had trouble with it as well.

Anyway, definitely my favorite Luigi's Mansion game. Such a charming series. I think Next Level Games did an awesome job with this game. I'd grade it an A-

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting on gamefly to send me this. Was hoping red box would have it but nothing. They don't seem to have many switch games near release.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today at 17 hours 1 minute with all gems and half of boos collected. My GOTY and maybe my favorite pure Switch exclusive.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The ghost trash can almost killed me. And then my wrongful death came at the elevator. You know the part. I pressed the switch, ghost with the flashlight came out and whacked me before I was even allowed to move. So that's where I wasted my free gold bone.

Speaking of money, is it worth spending? Should I be spending it? I'm at like 40k and don't know if I should spend it.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The ghost trash can almost killed me. And then my wrongful death came at the elevator. You know the part. I pressed the switch, ghost with the flashlight came out and whacked me before I was even allowed to move. So that's where I wasted my free gold bone.

Speaking of money, is it worth spending? Should I be spending it? I'm at like 40k and don't know if I should spend it.
There's nothing strictly necessary, but:

Gold Bones: Carrying one isn't terrible idea if you don't like restarting fights when you die. Otherwise it should drop you right back in at the same or the previous room anyway... though boss cutscenes are unskippable (whyyyy?!).
Boo Finder: Never tried one, but entirely useless if it all it does is mark a room. The vibration already works as a detector, plus the music changes when you're in the right room.
Gem Finder: Good for 100%ing the game and you don't want to look up solutions, just limit the amount of walls you're bashing your head against. All it does mark one room which has an undiscovered gem, the actual search is up to you, there's no vibration or anything. Would personally not buy before very late-game as a lot of gems are easy to find if you're just poking at everything.

Just a matter of your preferred playstyle really. I believe the amount of unspent money decides your rank at the end of game, but it also doesn't seem to affect anything beyond one static screen.

I'm having trouble finding the exact amounts required for each rank but if you want to know it seems to be roughly:
A: 70,000
B: 40,000
C: <40,000

Nobody seems to have found an S-rank, should it exist it must be "perfect run" amounts. As they scrapped ranks below C chances are they did so with S as well.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm tearing my hair out about this. Floor 7F Blooming bathroom

I'm trying to turn on the water in the bathtub to scare the polterkitty, the same bathroom where there were giant melons earlier. The tap has got a vine growing across it but I seem to have no way to break the vine. What am I doing wrong?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Floor 12 boss has been my favourite so far. Fun concept, great visuals, and minimal 'wait around for the boss to be vulnerable' downtime.

There's only the three items you see in the shop. I just bought the maximum number of gold bones after finding out that pre-boss cutscenes are unskippable after a death, and that's probably the only money I'll ever spend in the game. I don't bother picking up gold any more because there's no point to it. Unlockable outfits or something would have gone a long way.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm tearing my hair out about this. Floor 7F Blooming bathroom

I'm trying to turn on the water in the bathtub to scare the polterkitty, the same bathroom where there were giant melons earlier. The tap has got a vine growing across it but I seem to have no way to break the vine. What am I doing wrong?

I think you just need to use the blow and not the suck on those valves IIRC

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
In terms of set pieces, how you wanna top lm3 in a se sequel? It's just not possible. The variety here is perfection.
Finished it yesterday and those floors constantly surprised me and put a smile on my face.
Absolutely incredible game.