• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord the final boss is awful.

There is SO MUCH waiting it's absurd. Not only that, everything he does takes off 20 HP, so you have minimal opportunity to screw up and if you die you have to start all the waiting over again. It's really disappointing final boss to what was an excellent game. I haven't beaten it yet and gave up for tonight. I have a flight tomorrow and I will probably beat it there.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they're doing this Polterkitty thing TWICE.

It is such a joy getting to move on to the next floor and see what delights are in store for you, and then they go and throw this at you. Brazen padding that just ruins the pacing and spoils my mood.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished the game and loved it. It started a bit basic for what felt like a bit longer than it should have but once you reach the fourth floor and the game shows its hand for what it can really do with its bosses? Excellent.

My only gripes are that gold is useless and that the controls took a good amount of time to get used to. I found the optional control scheme that's akin to a dual shock shooter the best and eventually using that and gyro to aim up and down felt like second nature.

The game really should have been clear about the Dark Light being available by pressing both L + R too - a feature that also would have worked better if you could activate the Dark Light by holding one of those bbuttons when you're already holding the other down, too many times when trying to use it I would either charge the light or aim the plunger because I hadn't managed to press both at the *exact* same time.

Those gripes out of the way I really believe this is an absolute must-own for anyone with a Switch. Up there with BotW, Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening and MK8D. Next Level absolutely knocked it out of the park and delivered on all of the series' potential. They took the scope afforded to them with a Home Console game and did an excellent job building on what was already good work with LM2 and addressing much of that game's criticisms. This game truly cemented Luigi's Mansion as another important series for Nintendo on the high quality games front, I hope it gets the sales it deserves.

I don't know where they go from here, they did so much. I think the next step is a mansion with more Metroidvania elements.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
I think they could have done the Polterkitty phases better. They were repetitive, and there weren't any more surprises after
the "real form" reveal
I love Polterkitty though, she's my favorite ghost, design-wise. Just not my favorite fight.

EDIT: Besides, isn't her design inspired from
the bakeneko
?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think they could have done the Polterkitty phases better. They were repetitive, and there weren't any more surprises after
the "real form" reveal
I love Polterkitty though, she's my favorite ghost, design-wise. Just not my favorite fight.
The second encounter in particular really wasn't needed. Padding in a game with plenty of content that really didn't need it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Floor 15's boss was an absolute masterpiece. Loved it. Best one yet. I'm at the point of no return now, so I'm going to come back fresh tomorrow and finish it off.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished floor 6, what a great game. I actually want to take a break and go back to explore some previous floors for gems.

Luigis Mansion 3 makes the player feel good on many levels. Lovely, lovely game.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is really special imo. I don't even have issues with the combat slam like others do. its a magical game

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the two levels that follows the less than stellar B2, I'm ready to forgive this game for everything.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im in the garden floor and my favourite boss right now is the one in the theater. Loved how
the actual music from the boss fight was coming from his piano
. The medieval boss from the trailer wasnt as good and pretty simple (in fact so simple that i was like 5 minutes trying to do different thing on the stage to see how to damage him lol

Do bosses get as good as the theater one?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finished the game this morning. Sadly I only captured the mandatory Boo and didn't even tried to get any jewel that was not in the "main path", but I wanted to play DS and if I have time later this year to play more of an already beaten game, it will be Astral Chain.

Loved the main adventure though, game is easily the best LM and the developers created lots of situations, bosses and puzzles with only a few mechanics. Graphics and animations are some of the best this year, which is crazy considering the game runs on the Switch.

Final boss was kind of a letdown, and some of the floors felt really short, but maybe this is for the best as the game never repeats concepts or ambientation for more than a few minutes. The game length is perfect as it is IMO, and the few padding (basically the cat sections) is not that bad compared to LM2. I love how I was able to complete it really fast but I know that all the hidden items will make me enjoy a lot my time with it when I return.

My main complaint is some of the control decisions, the plunger is hard to aim and when you need to aim to something "fast" it can get frustrating.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Im in the garden floor and my favourite boss right now is the one in the theater. Loved how
. The medieval boss from the trailer wasnt as good and pretty simple (in fact so simple that i was like 5 minutes trying to do different thing on the stage to see how to damage him lol

The
pianist
is my favorite boss in the game, partly for the reason you mentioned, but I can assure you that there are excellent boss fights later, don't worry about it!

EDIT: Also this music we hear before meeting the floor 4 boss is one of my favorites, it sounds like Moonlight Sonata:

Last edited:

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I wish Luigi could become a ghost himself maybe in Luigi mansion 4 like in the trailer for smash bros would be cool

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
It's really ruining my enjoyment of this game that something as simple as inverted controls aren't available. Sigh. Gyro is not a substitute for me.
Oh come on...
I died 5 times.
I'm a PhD Student.
I died 5 times with the rubber duck.
Anyone can be a PhD student. In what and at which institution? That's what is relevant. Is it a math PhD at MIT?

Such a strange comment to insert.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The only time the aiming has bothered me is
king boo. I often don't have enough time to suck up a bomb and aim at the correct boo before they start their next attack. I can get to the 3rd phase but I still haven't been able to beat him because of the clunky aiming.

Everything else has been serviceable enough that it hasn't bothered me much. The B2 boss was easy in comparison

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to feel like an idiot but how do you beat the boss on floor 2b? I used my entire health plus two bone revives and still got a game over. :( I only injured him once but I'm not even sure how I did it.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to feel like an idiot but how do you beat the boss on floor 2b? I used my entire health plus two bone revives and still got a game over. :( I only injured him once but I'm not even sure how I did it.
Apply what you did in the level before: you need to get the ghost to become dizzy to be able to suck him in, then look around the pool what you could do.

Either wait for him to attack you and dodge him or throw mines at him to get him dizzy. If you're lucky, you can even do the latter from outside the pool. Then suck him in and blow the rubber ducky against the wall. Finally, get out of the pool and do the usual business.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Apply what you did in the level before: you need to get the ghost to become dizzy to be able to suck him in, then look around the pool what you could do.

Either wait for him to attack you and dodge him or throw mines at him to get him dizzy. If you're lucky, you can even do the latter from outside the pool. Then suck him in and blow the rubber ducky against the wall. Finally, get out of the pool and do the usual business.
See I tried sucking the mine in when I was in the raft but it just seemed to detonate when it got close. I'll just try to do it outside of the pool when I get home. Thanks.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
See I tried sucking the mine in when I was in the raft but it just seemed to detonate when it got close. I'll just try to do it outside of the pool when I get home. Thanks.
Honestly I think the other approach I mentioned (i.e., positioning yourself with room to dodge in the pool and waiting for the ghost to attack) is a bit easier. The "mines from outside" thing worked exactly once for me.

Then again, maybe I'm not a good reference for this, as I fall in the camp of those who had basically zero problems with this boss.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game last night. I think it went downhill after B2 boss. There's some bosses after where I have zero idea what to do for some parts and difficulty also ramps up. The game also get repetitive. Wish coins had more purpose because you spend so much time searching every nook for coins and only have 3 things to spend them on.

Had no idea what to do with the flying fist for pyramid boss. Too fast to outrun and couldn't suck. Did you have to do the bounce move?Enjoyed the shark boss morphing into the giant doors. Magic hats were fine until they started shutting the lights off. I don't mind difficulty much but some of it just felt cheap.
I could not tell which of the 3 was the real king boo. I was just throwing bombs hoping to get the right one. Also there was no poing having a timer. I hate timers, and it added nothing but frustration to the battle.

Also do you get anything for collecting all the gems/boos or just achievements.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Beat the game last night. I think it went downhill after B2 boss. There's some bosses after where I have zero idea what to do for some parts and difficulty also ramps up. The game also get repetitive. Wish coins had more purpose because you spend so much time searching every nook for coins and only have 3 things to spend them on.

Had no idea what to do with the flying fist for pyramid boss. Too fast to outrun and couldn't suck. Did you have to do the bounce move?Enjoyed the shark boss morphing into the giant doors. Magic hats were fine until they started shutting the lights off. I don't mind difficulty much but some of it just felt cheap.
I could not tell which of the 3 was the real king boo. I was just throwing bombs hoping to get the right one. Also there was no poing having a timer. I hate timers, and it added nothing but frustration to the battle.

Also do you get anything for collecting all the gems/boos or just achievements.

Yeah, it's the bounce move by pressing ZL+ZR. I took time to figure out the right thing to do too, but I thought that boss fight was awesome
The fake King Boos lack some teeth!

And for collecting all the gems/boos
achievements yes, and you get a new flashlight for the boos and a new plunger for the gems. It's just cosmetic stuff tho, so nothing very interesting.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The
Polterkitty
section of the game really grinds the game to a halt and could have totally done without it.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Floor 11 is dragging. Cool stage but once you need to get to the boss, oof. I've been wandering around the maze and not making any progress. What am I missing?

edit: got to the boss. Kept walking right by the door I needed

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018

There are a few more floors that are very small like the theater that are more focused on the boss fight. While the piano one was my personal favorite as well, there are definitely more that come close to reaching that quality

AlfonHR

Oct 28, 2017
I found the b2 boss really easy, and here is how to beat it easily:

There is a very easy way to beat him.

All you have to do, is use the light, you won't blind him, but he will go back a bit. Just do it a couple of times until he hits de spikes, then the rest is easy

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
There's nothing strictly necessary, but:

Gold Bones: Carrying one isn't terrible idea if you don't like restarting fights when you die. Otherwise it should drop you right back in at the same or the previous room anyway... though boss cutscenes are unskippable (whyyyy?!).
Boo Finder: Never tried one, but entirely useless if it all it does is mark a room. The vibration already works as a detector, plus the music changes when you're in the right room.
Gem Finder: Good for 100%ing the game and you don't want to look up solutions, just limit the amount of walls you're bashing your head against. All it does mark one room which has an undiscovered gem, the actual search is up to you, there's no vibration or anything. Would personally not buy before very late-game as a lot of gems are easy to find if you're just poking at everything.

Just a matter of your preferred playstyle really. I believe the amount of unspent money decides your rank at the end of game, but it also doesn't seem to affect anything beyond one static screen.

I'm having trouble finding the exact amounts required for each rank but if you want to know it seems to be roughly:
A: 70,000
B: 40,000
C: <40,000

Nobody seems to have found an S-rank, should it exist it must be "perfect run" amounts. As they scrapped ranks below C chances are they did so with S as well.
Darn it. This is what I feared. Because there is limited money, from what it looks like. Ah well, I'll save it for post-game since I don't want to look up guides.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where to get 6 ghosts to defeat at once, post-game? I've seen the YouTube video recommending Tomb Suites but there aren't any ghosts there at the moment. Could it be done in Scarescraper rather than story mode?

May 5, 2018
Can we all just say that once you get the...
Super vacuum powerup
Floor 12 has the best boss fight in the game? That fight is just tons of fun from beginning to end and I was giddy with excitement throughout the whole sequence.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Just cleared out the last floor last night, was freaking awesome. Gonna go back for the boos and gems I missed before fighting the final boss

I wish Luigi could become a ghost himself maybe in Luigi mansion 4 like in the trailer for smash bros would be cool
Yeah I had the same idea, similar to how you can switch to Gooigi and move around separately, I think it would be cool if Luigi could separate his spirit from his body to go through walls or hover over gaps or something

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Just finished the game, all gems and boos and most floor specific achievements. Love this game so much holy shit.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finally arrived at the B2 boss and had read some bad things.

And yeah, it was garbage.

I'd be having nothing but a joyful and fun time up until that point. How they decided THAT is how that shit should control is beyond me. Gross.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The B2 floor boss can go fuck himself, by the way. That fight was obnoxious.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for capturing the
director ghost

Where can I see a list of all achievements?

And how to get
Polterkitty? She always hides beneath the bench on the fire set but always goes into one of the two rooms

Last edited:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This game comes out swinging so strong. Hard to imagine a game where you can beat up ghosts taking a shit not being one of the strongest of the year.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Finished today with an "A" rank. Game was absolutely wonderful except for B2, and the last two bosses. I think those fights were garbage and expected a level of control from the player that the game couldn't deliver.
Still, with over 20 hours logged, it's one of my favorite Switch games.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Darn it. This is what I feared. Because there is limited money, from what it looks like. Ah well, I'll save it for post-game since I don't want to look up guides.
I wouldn't worry about the money really, I think there's an finite amount but if you're the type to poke at everything you'll be swimming in it. Just enjoy your first playthrough. Having some extra bones would probably have made a few of the bosses much less frustrating for me, haha.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
This is the Nintendo magic I love. Such a wonderful game.

B2 is definitely the only blip in the experience so far, but every other floor has been an amazing ride.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night and erm....I didn't like the game and the first Luigi Mansion is just the superior game.
  • I didn't like Gooigi or the addition of two player in a single player game,
  • The game suffered from too many padding just to extend the play time,
  • Barring one, all of the human boss ghost are bland and lack the charm or personality that the first game had,
  • The slam move should have not been added, it makes combat and puzzles not as fun,
  • The game play is a lot more closer to Mansion 2 but with having to explore part of a mansion and having to return to E. Gadd lab every time a mission ends, it does not come anywhere close to Mansion 1 play style,
  • The map is horrible and confusing, I just ended up not using it,
  • The final two boss fights was horrible with Helen clearly being designed for two players, it was frustrating and tedious doing it on my own,
  • There was no point in adding Peach to the Luigi Mansion series if all they are going to do is make her a damsel in distress, either make her playable or don't include her,
  • The hotel mansion style was interesting to begin with but was a let down the further I progress, it lacked the atmosphere and run down that the first mansion had, I also felt that the different room set up was just confusing and conflicted with each other,
  • Some of the floors are just short and straight up boss fights, they could have easily been cut. it just seems like they went for quantity over quality,
  • The controls options are just terrible and why wasn't the - button used to bring up the map? Mapping switching to Gooigi on the right stick was a mistake as I kept accidentally switching to gooigi when fighting the ghost,
  • The ghost design is not as good as Mansion 1,
The only thing that I can praise the game is the graphic as it looked good, but the game play is just hot trash garbage and if there is to be a Luigi Mansion 4. I hope that Next Level games are not involved as it would be a skip.

I will just stick with Luigi Mansion 1.

Good lord the final boss is awful.

There is SO MUCH waiting it's absurd. Not only that, everything he does takes off 20 HP, so you have minimal opportunity to screw up and if you die you have to start all the waiting over again. It's really disappointing final boss to what was an excellent game. I haven't beaten it yet and gave up for tonight. I have a flight tomorrow and I will probably beat it there.

Yeah, the timing on the bombs is just so tight. It's clearly designed for two players.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few more floors that are very small like the theater that are more focused on the boss fight. While the piano one was my personal favorite as well, there are definitely more that come close to reaching that quality
Cant wait to see them then.

The
pianist
is my favorite boss in the game, partly for the reason you mentioned, but I can assure you that there are excellent boss fights later, don't worry about it!

EDIT: Also this music we hear before meeting the floor 4 boss is one of my favorites, it sounds like Moonlight Sonata:

Yup thought exactly the same thing. Love Moonlight sonata so i was like, damn this sounds great.