• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it on the flight I was just on, I loved it. The final boss was pretty bad, but the rest of the game was great with a few flaws. I actually liked the structure of going up themed floors in a hotel since they were incredibly diverse.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it on the flight I was just on, I loved it. The final boss was pretty bad, but the rest of the game was great with a few flaws. I actually liked the structure of going up themed floors in a hotel more than I expected to, since they were incredibly diverse. The animations and expressiveness of Luigi and the boss ghosts were excellent. I loved the bit of personality each one had right before they were finally sucked into the vacuum. I'm glad there was a control option to set it similar to the GameCube controls, and I liked that there were shoulder button options for all the things the face buttons did.

Floor 7 was easily my favorite part of the game, that puzzle felt really clever and took me a few minutes to figure out where to start, but once it clicked I loved the idea, as well as the boss of that floor.

I kind of wish the floors that were basically a boss and almost nothing else were expanded upon. Some of those really would have benefited from having more to them. I didn't mind B2 and much as everyone else seemed to, but it was not my favorite floor.

I'm conflicted on whether I like this one better than the first one or not. I think both this and the first are better than Dark Moon (which was still solid), mainly because I didn't care for Dark Moon's structure of being constantly pulled back to E. Gadd's lab, as well as Polterpup's antics.

Speaking of things like Polterpup:

I really didn't feel the second battle against Polterkitty was necessary. I didn't mind them doing that once, but the second time was excessive.

Overall, good game, not my GotY above Astral Chain or Fire Emblem, but still can definitely recommend. It nails most of what I like about the series.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
There's a super star item in scaresrcapper mode that let you eliminate ghosts by just walking through them lol.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Honestly, I loved using Gooigi, especially on boss fights.

Hellen Gravely especially, I really enjoyed having to multitask navigating Gooigi with moving Luigi occasionally as well as scaring Hellen away. Also, I love how she shield herself with her mirror and stuns Luigi when you Strobulb her.

Also, I legit didn't know what made the clones different and just got lucky each time. 1/6 odds, heck yeah. Overall, though, I wasn't a big fan of this boss. It was fine, but Hellen was a better sendoff with how she used Gooigi.

I really enjoyed using the super suck powerup and how the physics objects just go wild, but I really wish it was used more often. There's just one time it's actually required to progress, which I'm not a big fan of.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you're ranked at the end does it go by the money you have at the moment or does it take into account the money you've spent?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One reviewer, can't remember which, stated that it's money on hand at the end. If you've spent it, it doesn't count.
Oh dang lol. I spent some money earlier then I read about being ranked by money at the end. Alright I'm going to the 15th floor now. I was planning on spending money to find the rest of the games, but I'll wait.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh dang lol. I spent some money earlier then I read about being ranked by money at the end. Alright I'm going to the 15th floor now. I was planning on spending money to find the rest of the games, but I'll wait.
Yeah, none of that stuff counts towards your rank. You can always keep your cash and finish the game now for your rank and get that stuff later. At least, that's what I ended up doing.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing good to spend all of this money on.

The game has enough content where the backtracking diversions are simply unnecessary and unengaging.

Two marks.I'll say I really enjoyed it as a co-op experience though. One of the best Switch exclusives yet.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the movie studio floor was the most amazing thing Luigis Mansion has ever done ever. You can feel NLG giving it all in that floor.
Why they fuck did they basically spoil it during e3? The only should have showed the garden floor shit or the medieval one.

I didnt see much apart from the first room and the first dialog with the portrait ghost there (as something told me this floor was going to be special) but sadly someone talked openly about the
godzilla
boss fight on one of the old threads so even if I didnt watch it (and thank god as it was amazing) it did spoil a little bit the surprise.

The next floor
the dino museum
was also fun, too bad it was too short,

Now im at the middle of b2 and ive hear is the worst floor. Right now doesnt seem as bad as the garden one. Though the garden had the awesome room were
you could cut everything with the elctric saw
, that was neat.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget about Gooigi. I'm banging my head on a puzzle, not remembering I have to poop out Gooigi for the answer.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a dumbass but wtf do I do with 6f jousting boss? I feel like the game either isn't telegraphing something clearly enough or the window for stunning is too tight

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a dumbass but wtf do I do with 6f jousting boss? I feel like the game either isn't telegraphing something clearly enough or the window for stunning is too tight
Dodge his lance and immediately flashlight him.
And don't feel dumb, I know several people both IRL and on streams who were at loss how to deal with him at first.

Also avatar quote.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget about Gooigi. I'm banging my head on a puzzle, not remembering I have to poop out Gooigi for the answer.

This was me in the early floor with the shops

Thought there was some trick to opening up the shop doors, and did not understand what I was missing. The next day I realized it was meant for Gooigi the whole time

Oct 26, 2017
Dodge his lance and immediately flashlight him.
And don't feel dumb, I know several people both IRL and on streams who were at loss how to deal with him at first.

Also avatar quote.

I managed it right after I posted haha, thanks though. Glad I'm not the only one, felt like pieces of that fight weren't clicking as well as previous bosses

Apr 21, 2018
Finally finished the infamous B2. I was literally dreading it based on some of the posts here. I beat the boss on my first try only taking a single hit. I'm not sure what people find so difficult about it?

I also think there is a bit of a hidden mechanic in the slam move. I beat the B2 boss in two cycles because I timed using the slam just right. Seems to be a good way to beat enemies faster, but it's that issue of waiting too long to slam and you lose the ghost altogether. I've found a fun risk-vs-reward in that, and it's allowed me to finish off ghosts and ghost bosses faster.

Also, loving this game. B2 was a great floor. Kind of felt like Luigi was taken back to his plumbing days, and the environment feels reminiscent of old school Super Mario bros green-pipes and brick pattern - but modernized.

Nov 8, 2017
Loving the game but I think I hit a rough patch, and I'm not having as much fun.

Floor 7 was a drag, way too difficult to see what was going on between all the stuff on screen and how zoomed out it was for most things. Liked the saw but that's it.

8FL was pretty cool, but judging by the posts it's overrated imo. I liked it in the end but definitely at first it was annoying to explore the whole place with nothing to show until the last room I went into which finally gave some objective instead of having me vacuuming up literally everything in hopes of finding the megaphone. By the time I was enjoying it, the level was pretty much done with. Awesome boss fight though lol.

What really dragged me down was fucking polterkitty. Holy shit what an absolute abomination of a segment! It was such a chore, and the fact they have you chase him through the worst floor (and have you backtrack halfway through with no quick way to get back) does not help.

Looking forward to this next floor 9 though, the theme looks great and hopefully the game gets back on track with the fun like it was until floor 7!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Can someone give me some quick tips about general ghost catching?

I haven't played since the first game, and I feel like there are a lot of basic differences. Should I be 'fishing' with the analog stick, like in the original, or do you just keep the stick in the opposite direction? Also, does it help if I'm tugging on the right stick in the same direction or is that not a thing?

Nov 8, 2017

I haven't played since the first game, and I feel like there are a lot of basic differences. Should I be 'fishing' with the analog stick, like in the original, or do you just keep the stick in the opposite direction? Also, does it help if I'm tugging on the right stick in the same direction or is that not a thing?

I haven't had success with doing anything with the right stick. For the left stick, you don't need to tug or fish, just hold away and when the ghosts change directions you can just rotate and it will latch on. Just old away until you are able to slam, then slam the ghosts against others and you can chain multiple ghosts without having to stun them with the flashlight.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Catching ghost is nothing like in the original, you just flash the light, suck them in and hold the stick back till the circle fills up and then mash a to do the slam move.

I really enjoyed using the super suck powerup and how the physics objects just go wild, but I really wish it was used more often. There's just one time it's actually required to progress, which I'm not a big fan of.

I honestly forgot that was even in the game but yeah either it should have been used more or just cut entirely from the game as it added nothing.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game. Overall I liked it, and I think it's an easy recommendation for anyone with a Switch. Gorgeous visuals, beautiful animations, wonderful creativity in both level design and gameplay. It's chock full of great bosses, and it was an absolute delight seeing what new theme each successive floor would bring. Unfortunately I had quite a few issues and frustrations with the game; nothing outright game-ruining, but enough that it added up and left a bad taste in my mouth.

First, and I feel this is a pretty major problem with the basic design, is that Gold is meaningless. There are three items to buy in the store, none of which are any good, and that's that for the whole game. Every secret area, hidden puzzle, treasure chest, invisible grate that you spot in the mirror, hidden door that you see on the Soliton Radar and have to uncover in the game world itself? Useless. It all leads to Gold, and Gold does nothing. This is a Nintendo game where I was actually disappointed when I opened a treasure chest; I mean, what can you even say about that? Literally anything to spend the money on would have gone a long way to solving this. Imagine being able to buy new outfits for Luigi based on the theme of the floor you just arrived at, ala Super Mario Odyssey. Hell, I'd take palette swaps, or even just different flashlight patterns or vacuum colours or something; anything is better than nothing. You unlock some unsatisfying bonuses for getting 100% completion, and apparently you get a different rank at the end of the game based on how much money you hoarded, but I don't care about unlocking things after I'm done with the game. I basically just stopped picking up Gold after I unlocked the Store. I finished the game with like 10,000 and got a C-Rank. Who cares?

My other big complaint is that there's just too much padding here. I finished the game in 10:30 (and remember I didn't waste any time looking for Gold, so that's probably more like 12-15 hours if you do, and easily 20+ for a 100% run), which is a totally respectable hour count. This is a thicc, meaty game, full of variety and packed with unique gameplay content. Unfortunately, it also has three really blatant instances of pure, mindless busywork to pad out that hour count for no reason. The Polterkitty schlep, the trip back to Floor B2, and then another Polterkitty time waster later on. These sequences all pop up when you've just completed a floor and you're excited to go and see what the next one has in store, and they just feel like a big sweaty hand pulling the brake lever on the fun, spoiling the pacing, re-using old content without putting any kind of interesting new spin on it. It just doesn't need to be there.

I found the combat against basic enemies pretty mindless and repetitive, but it didn't overstay its welcome. What did, though, was the handful of bossfights that you spend just waiting around until you're allowed to attack the boss. For every excellent, wonderful bossfight (e.g. the Pianist, the Pirate Shark, Hellen Gravely), there was one where I felt like I was just standing in one spot, occasionally moving slightly to avoid an attack, waiting for the boss AI to cycle through its moveset until it did the one move with an exploitable window so I could move on to the next phase (e.g. the Medieval Knight, the Egyptian Mummy, King Boo). The best bosses in this game are fantastic, lively back and forths, while the worst are quite tedious, and unfortunately the final boss is one of the worst examples of this which really ended the game on a sour note.

Finally, there are a couple of easy fixes that could (and should) be patched ASAP: you can't skip boss intro cutscenes after dying, and the low health warning is the absolute most obnoxious one I've ever encountered. Unskippable cutscenes needs no explanation, there's no excuse for it in 2019, especially in a game that does let you skip some other cutscenes. The low health warning is so egregious that I don't know how it ever got into the game, though. People complain about it in Zelda games where it pops up at 1 heart out of 20; here the game starts beeping at you loudly and vibrating your controller when you hit 39/99, which basically means after taking three hits. And then if you take a fourth hit it literally drowns out every other sound in the game. The only thing worse than spending a final bossfight just standing on the spot waiting is having to do that while the only sound you can here is BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP...

So, like I said, no gamebreaking issue, but a lot of smaller stuff that steadily got on my nerves as I went through the game. I'd probably call it a 7/10 if I was of the reviewing type; several flaws I can't overlook, but I'd definitely recommend it overall.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is brilliant, im enjoying it as much as i did odyssey, the physics, animation and visuals are top notch. Its super fun to play, im having a blast.

This feels an in house nintendo game through and through, next level did a great job on this one, gotta tip my hat to them. Im only midway on but its my goty so far, although i also loved fire emblem three houses

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This Polterkitty stuff was harmless. I enjoyed it

It might be better received at the least if the fights were more interesting. Like, once you figure out the pattern of when to flash it, it's completely trivial to do without effort, and you just have to do it over and over while being forced to chase it between rooms. Kind of lackluster.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Getting kind of burnt out on puzzles but am in last floor. Miss the action in the original game.
Next Level should work on a spin off Zelda game featuring Beedle.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Completed the main quest!! Still have several gems and Boos to collect but I will await my new projector arrival before embarking on mansion cleanup duties.

B2 boss was an unfortunate blemish upon this amazing little treat of a game. The last 2 boss fights... well it's all about timing, so once I learned the patterns, it was smooth sailing. Earned an A rank with using any golden bones.

Online multiplayer here I come.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Finished the game probably about 90 minutes ago. The final fight specifically was...alright, but taken as a whole the final floor of the game is stellar and the interactions are lots of fun.
Seeing Mario's exuberance once he's free and watching him do the typical crazy Mario jumps provides such a fantastic contrast to the way Luigi is characterized. This game has the best portrayal of the brothers short of some of the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

I get the complaints about the polterkitty stuff, though I wouldn't mind having more occasion to visit prior floors if it meant that it actually led to some changes or approaching it in some different way. This is why I ultimately didn't mind the B2 return, since it winds up presenting new puzzles and taking you along a different path, so relatively little ground is actually retread there.

Overall I liked the game a lot, the animations and overall expressiveness is top notch of course and the game does a pretty good job of giving you a concise set of moves and then coming up with creative ways to make use of them. I never played Dark Moon so I'm sure some of the stuff in here is old hat to a few folks but is new for me. If I had any particular criticism of the game, it would probably just be an overall lack of variety in the basic enemies, visually but also in general gameplay as well. The enemies it has are all pretty distinct from each other, but there's only four of them, so...you wind up spending a lot of the game sucking up lots of Goobs featuring various accessories. Having another couple of ghost types, even if they were relatively standard in battle strategy, would I think help keep the game's combat from stagnating too much. Hell, even just pull some of the variation rare ghosts from ScareScraper and put them into the main campaign to put a twist on a few challenges. Once you're halfway through the game and have a good handle on the catching mechanics, it seems like the only thing the game can do to present challenge in normal combat is just by throwing sheer numbers at you, and that just becomes irritating to deal with too often.

All in all, the game wound up being more engaging than I might've expected going in, and it's the first game in a while that I actually felt momentum to play all the way through to completion which is a nice plus. At the same time, though, I can't necessarily say I've got an immediate appetite for more, so I'd still like to see Next Level Games take on some other project rather than jump directly into planning for a Luigi's Mansion 4.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Soo I'm on my first polterkitty chase and I can't tell if it's glitched? Seems to be stuck in the ivy bathroom on 7f, I smashed all the watermelons and it's hiding in the tub out of sight... Nothing else to interact with.

This game has me on a rollercoaster of tested patience lol

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Soo I'm on my first polterkitty chase and I can't tell if it's glitched? Seems to be stuck in the ivy bathroom on 7f, I smashed all the watermelons and it's hiding in the tub out of sight... Nothing else to interact with.

This game has me on a rollercoaster of tested patience lol
I'll just say it's not glitched, you're on the right track but you need to do one more thing to flush it out of hiding.

Like I just mentioned in my longer post, you only have so many functions to work with, just be patient in trying them out and you should come up with something.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll just say it's not glitched, you're on the right track but you need to do one more thing to flush it out of hiding.

Like I just mentioned in my longer post, you only have so many functions to work with, just be patient in trying them out and you should come up with something.

Well I feel like an idiot, lol. I thought the thing was just shaking because everything shakes when you vacuum it. Didn't think to do the other thing.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished floor 7... that saw Lol. Throughly enjoyed it, the game just keeps throwing interesting stuff at you at a thight pace and i love when games are thight and dense.
Couldn't wait the give a look into floor 8 before i gave it a call to go to sleep.

I absolutely adore the music in LM3.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I beat Floor 10 of the Scarescraper with two randoms tonight! My first try with online with the game was earlier this evening, and a trio of randoms and me beat the five-floor Scarescraper my first time with the online. The 10-floor Scarescraper took some trying, and we JUST completed floor 9 with ONE second left on the timer. That was the only bother to be found during an otherwise flawless run.

Just have some online achievements, and then I'll be done with the game--but I doubt I'll beat the Scarescraper boss 20 times as that just seems like a boring grind.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game a few hours ago with all boos and gems. Final boss was a pain but it was an amazing experience all around. Wish the floors were more interconnected but can't wait for the next outing!

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Only just got Gooigi and I have some questions. The game feels very linear right now, lot of scripted events no random ghost encounters. I was hoping I could clear out rooms like the original, FYI never played Dark Moon. Is the entire game going to be like this?

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Only just got Gooigi and I have some questions. The game feels very linear right now, lot of scripted events no random ghost encounters. I was hoping I could clear out rooms like the original, FYI never played Dark Moon. Is the entire game going to be like this?
You can't permanently clear rooms, if you return to a floor later there'll be ghosts again (often doing new stuff even, I even got a new cutscene once upon returning).

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished this.

The only thing that really let it down in my opinion was the final two boss battles which were absolute dog shit.

Still, awesome game.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I also just beat it. Great game, easily the best Luigi's Mansion title. It strikes a good balance of the first and second game, giving you expansive areas like the first along with reasons to backtrack, but having diverse settings and clear levels like Dark Moon. The puzzles are creative without being frustrating, and it's always surprising to see how even small little areas are packed with secrets and things to interact with. The pacing never dragged and I wouldn't have minded a few more floors at all. I will say the only negative I have is some frustrating boss fights (duck boat, and the last two bosses), but most of the big battles were fun.

It's another excellent entry into the Switch library. This thing is easily going to be the greatest piece of Nintendo hardware when it's all said and done.

Also I legit laughed out loud when
you were following Mario and he did these insane jumps while a frightened Luigi had to take the long route.

Dec 23, 2017
so I looked up a video I am on floor 4 on the stage. This camera thing appears and you are supposed to just look at it with x and then it shines an electric light and you suck up the wall to reveal a ghost orchestra? I've looked at it with x like 50 times and it's not doing that for me.... am I missing something????

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
so I looked up a video I am on floor 4 on the stage. This camera thing appears and you are supposed to just look at it with x and then it shines an electric light and you suck up the wall to reveal a ghost orchestra? I've looked at it with x like 50 times and it's not doing that for me.... am I missing something????
You need an upgrade to do that, you'll get it later as you do the story.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Finished floor 7... that saw Lol. Throughly enjoyed it, the game just keeps throwing interesting stuff at you at a thight pace and i love when games are thight and dense.
Couldn't wait the give a look into floor 8 before i gave it a call to go to sleep.
I love the saw destructibility... Haven't finished the game yet but I want it to come back. Or destructibility like that.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this with my wife. Its absolutely gorgeous and a blast to play and a truly great co op game too. My only gripe until now is how it took around an hour before I unlocked Gooigi. The puzzles are fun and not easy to solve at all. We've been searching floors like crazy to find the gems and it's actually a good idea to buy those gem finders because of how well hidden they are. The art style and animations also make it fun for my wife to play. She doesn't like violent stuff or horror but this strikes just the right balance for her.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Played through B2. What was the problem with it? Controls? Played great and had fun. I can't really understand the problem.