• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters
May 5, 2018
Just cleared floor 13

I'm pretty shocked they got to the "hotel fitness area" trope this late into the game. Gyms and fitness areas are usually staples whenever you go into a Marriott Hotel or a Hilton Inn. Would have thought they would get access to this level sooner but hey that was a pretty fun level nonetheless. I liked the treadmill gimmick where you have on them to earn prizes. Also I liked the boss a lot too. A pretty unique boss that puts good use into Gooigi. Johnny Deepend's physique and attitude reminded me very much of NLG's iteration of Super Macho Man from the Wii Punch-Out.
LM3_Johnny_Deepend_Screenshot.jpg

w4hSj9.gif

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I've been loving this game but the first polterkitty encounter is so frustrating that it's soured it a bit for me.
The section was fine until it got to the bathrooms. I was pretty annoyed until I realized that the cat left the first one and went to a second one. The watermelon bathroom was also more frustrating than it was fun, for some reason the game didn't want to have both Luigi and Gooigi place suction cups on the giant watermelon. I thought I was doing something wrong and missing something but nope, just the game being finicky.
It's only one section, but some of the bosses and enemy encounters have also been kind of annoying before this. It's really killed a lot of my early love for the game in one fell swoop.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Quite surprised by all of the hate for the
polterkitty
, let alone all of the non-spoiler'd talk of it that made it much less of a surprise for me. I've gotten stuck in a few places where puzzles don't seem the most intuitive, eg:

I didn't think to let the t-rex eat gooigi when I was down to one egg, thinking he would just 'melt' when attacked/bitten.

But, that section didn't keep me stuck for long especially since I was already familiar with the 'tools' available to me in the rooms it brought me to.
Maybe it's just because I'm a cat person, but the personality of the polterkitty kept me entertained and it felt like a well-placed segment to break up a couple of action-focused floors.

Really looking forward to B2. Seems like a return to the complexity of layouts that I enjoy.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now on Floor 13 and although I'm not done with the game yet (i'm 100%ing every level so it takes some time), I gotta say that the worry about the difficuty and the slam move prior to launch was really way off the mark. The game so far is quite well balanced, and although I stocked enough bones to avoid a Game Over, I still struggled on some bosses or rooms.

Oct 26, 2017
Quite surprised by all of the hate for the
polterkitty
, let alone all of the non-spoiler'd talk of it that made it much less of a surprise for me. I've gotten stuck in a few places where puzzles don't seem the most intuitive, eg:

I didn't think to let the t-rex eat gooigi when I was down to one egg, thinking he would just 'melt' when attacked/bitten.

But, that section didn't keep me stuck for long especially since I was already familiar with the 'tools' available to me in the rooms it brought me to.
Maybe it's just because I'm a cat person, but the personality of the polterkitty kept me entertained and it felt like a well-placed segment to break up a couple of action-focused floors.

Really looking forward to B2. Seems like a return to the complexity of layouts that I enjoy.

I think that's been the one thing keeping me from outright loving it as much as I want to - there are weird leaps in logic for the one-off puzzle mechanics they introduce that don't always (or sometimes straight up never) have introduction or present the solution as something that you would consider within the interactions you've had up to that point.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game today with my son. Took us about 12 hours to finish it. Overall I really enjoyed it but a few things stuck out to me.

- Some of the boss encounters were frustrating. The B2 ghost and the 1st boss on the final floor were the two that come to mind.
- Sometimes the game balances the co-op design poorly. Some segments feel like they were designed for two people in mind, making it suck for solo players, while others were easier if you were playing solo. Really weird.
- Collecting money was almost worthless in this game when you can only use it to buy three items in the entire game that don't even give you new abilities.
- Controls could have been better. My son really struggled with them for awhile. He didn't really get the hang of the controls until around the final third of the game.
- Some segments felt like padding. Pretty much every time the game makes you stop and go back to previous floors annoyed me. Polterkitty can go fuck itself.
- Floor 14 was dope. I took so many videos in that section, haha. Wish it was longer and did more with the theme though.

It's not perfect but it's definitely a great game that's totally charming and probably my favorite in the series.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow there are some neat little details in this game. I got a let's play video for 14F in my Youtube feed and something I missed while playing it myself:
when you're trying to find which Goob dancer has the elevator button, Luigi is snapping his left fingers!

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game

My one disappointment was:
that Hellen Gravely was built up so much and then lacked character at the very end and become nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So are Boo's only available revisiting areas? I'm on the last floor now and I've only found the very first one when they're introduced despite finding like 75% of the gems.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Asked earlier in the thread how this would be for co-op with an inexperienced player, so quick update: Played some with my wife at the weekend, she doesn't play console/action games much so was a bit of a learning curve (dual stick aiming, remembering where the controller buttons are, etc), was a bit of a challenge when you get a boss fight fairly soon after getting Gooigi where Luigi can't help (bit of a trial by fire)

After that though it's been pretty smooth though, like that there isn't too much co-op precision needed most of the time, Gooigi has basically infinite lives, and bosses tend to focus on Luigi. It's not been too frustrating most of the time for her and she's getting better at controlling it

It's a bit of a shame it takes an hour or so for Gooigi to be introduced though, would've been nice to play co-op right from the start (and get used to the mechanics at the same time), but guess there wasn't much stopping us from just swapping the controller every so often for the early tutorials

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a great game but this is possibly the worst final boss I've encountered in a video game in a decade.

Last edited:

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I did it, but I swear the other two both had eyes as well. I eventually figured out that
the real one has bombs come from the spiked ball and the others don't.
They would open their eyes sometimes but during the bomb shooting section I'm positive that they didn't have them, that's how I did it after all

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I finished the game and got Rank B. Is there any incentive to go back and get all Gems and Boos? It didn't seem like there's any additional things to unlock or alternate endings.

Great game, clocked in at 14 hours, which I think was perfect. Some really great levels, and overall one of the better games on Switch this year (which is saying something).

May 5, 2018
I finished the game and got Rank B. Is there any incentive to go back and get all Gems and Boos? It didn't seem like there's any additional things to unlock or alternate endings.

Great game, clocked in at 14 hours, which I think was perfect. Some really great levels, and overall one of the better games on Switch this year (which is saying something).
The Boos are a great source to earn coins and gold bars so they can help increase your income. I think jewels only are apart of in game achievements. I remember collecting all of the gems on Floor 10 and only got a "Collect all the Gems on Floor 10" achievement pop up message. Maybe collecting ALL of the Gems lead to a greater reward but I'm not sure. I plan on capturing all of the boos before I take on the last two bosses to make sure I grab more cash in hope for a decent rank. I might go back to Floor 9 or the basement to get all of the gems in those places.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I can't get over how much i like the soundtrack, it might beat Astral Chain for my personal Ost of the year...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked this game, though one weird thing is that it feels like some of the later game floors were kinda meant to come earlier. Not that it really matters, but Floor 13 and 14 especially just feel weird to have as two of the last ones. I feel like Floor 4 - 9 was the best pure stretch of the game.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Powering through this with my kid before Pokemon, as well as slowly going through it on the side under my own profile. It really is one of the best games on the Switch.

Just wish some of the floors were longer, especially
Unatural History Museum and Spectral Catch (which we just finished). Though I guess those are just Boss floors.

The highlight so far is probably the
Tomb Suites - pretty impressive to have such an interactive level without any performance issues.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Really liked this game, though one weird thing is that it feels like some of the later game floors were kinda meant to come earlier. Not that it really matters, but Floor 13 and 14 especially just feel weird to have as two of the last ones. I feel like Floor 4 - 9 was the best pure stretch of the game.

Kinda agree. It's kinda jarring to go from fantastical ancient pyramid/magic theater/pirate ship rooms to a standard fitness center/disco club.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda agree. It's kinda jarring to go from fantastical ancient pyramid/magic theater/pirate ship rooms to a standard fitness center/disco club.
Right. It felt like we kept escalating from very not-Hotel-type themes, which was fun and interesting. Then we go back to things you actually might find in a hotel (not to mention things usually found closer to the ground floor of one). Both boss fights also felt more like tutorial-type of fights (for Gooigi and Burst respectively) compared to the previous few.

May 5, 2018
So apparently catching all of the Boos gives you:

A flashlight that shows Boo's face on wherever the light shines itself on. Eh, doesn't seem to make the flashlight more effective and a little disappointed catching all of the boos gives you a cosmetic reward.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Right. It felt like we kept escalating from very not-Hotel-type themes, which was fun and interesting. Then we go back to things you actually might find in a hotel (not to mention things usually found closer to the ground floor of one). Both boss fights also felt more like tutorial-type of fights (for Gooigi and Burst respectively) compared to the previous few.

There was definitely some floor juggling since some of the pre-release gameplay videos had boss ghosts guarding different buttons. I guess they were still figuring out where to place everything.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Initially started this game docked on a nice 1080p screen, probably played about 3-4 hrs into the title that way. Took it to play on portable later on in the evening and I'm quite taken back by just how much fidelity and detail you lose playing that way.

I understand the game retains the highest res it can in portable at 720p, but you lose seeing so many of the smaller details in the particle effects, specular highlights and smaller object detail.

It's a far better experience to play this game docked for sure in my mind.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm stuck on floor 12. I think there is some event that is supposed to trigger where I get a vacuum upgrade but nothing is happening and I can't progress?

never mind, it finally triggered

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Finished off floor 8 with my wife and that was pretty amazing. The boss was easy with co op but a very satisfying and creative floor overall. Took us a while to figure things out. Also cleared most of the floors from boo's and gems but there is an annoying one left on floor B1 which we havent figured out how to get yet. We will be 100% ing this for sure. So much fun.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google has not helped with this. What do you get for finding all gems? All rare ghosts? All Boos?

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it with my son. Fantastic game! Easily the best Luigis mansion and one of the best on Switch imho.

Gotta say I don't get the final boss complaints. Sure it was tough but most stuff was easy to dodge and once you figure out what to do it wasn't too bad. I was glad to have a challenging final boss honestly.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Google has not helped with this. What do you get for finding all gems? All rare ghosts? All Boos?
Boos gives you a Boo face projection from your flaslight, gems give you a ... crystal?-looking plunger. The rewards aren't particularly exciting here, no.

No idea about the rare ghosts, haven't tried the scarescraper yet.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just beat the game. The animations. The cutscenes. The lead up to the final boss and the credits after. GOTY for me. Just incredible.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been floating in and out of this thread to read impressions a bit having just done it I do not get the complaints regarding the B2 boss, like at all.
You have 3 ways of dealing with him, either bait him into attacking and then spin yourself around him till he tires out, put a mine between yourselves and blow it towards him while you drift away, or just stand on the edge with the duck all inflated and he ends up blowing himself up with a mine somehow in no time at all. It's especially trivial if you have gooigi out and ready for when he's stunned before you hop back in the water and make use of a full tug of war before slamming him so it only takes two go rounds.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the B2 boss on my first try. I really didn't find it as obtuse as

using Gooigi in the DinoBoss to have him try to eat him.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I liked that they did that actually. I don't really care for the themed levels myself. They're fun, but make no sense in context of a hotel. I liked going back to the more mundane settings, though I hated the Disco, I couldn't stand those stupid dance animations.

spoils the all Boos and all Gems rewards:
you get a Boo flashlight for finding all Boos, that shines a Boo face on things. All gems is a diamond flashlight if I remember correctly. Completely useless either way. It's worth finding all Boos and gems simply because finding them was fun, but the rewards are completely useless

/edit: oh already answered, nvm.

Nov 8, 2017
As someone who's been floating in and out of this thread to read impressions a bit having just done it I do not get the complaints regarding the B2 boss, like at all.
You have 3 ways of dealing with him, either bait him into attacking and then spin yourself around him till he tires out, put a mine between yourselves and blow it towards him while you drift away, or just stand on the edge with the duck all inflated and he ends up blowing himself up with a mine somehow in no time at all. It's especially trivial if you have gooigi out and ready for when he's stunned before you hop back in the water and make use of a full tug of war before slamming him so it only takes two go rounds.

i agree, I saw all kinds of hate for B2 boss but had no problems and didn't think it was confusing at all. If anything I thought you would need to suck up the mines and shoot them back but it was even simpler.

I could see how it would be more difficult if you didn't have Gooigi on the side but after the first time you stun the boss, it's obvious what to do.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm done.

Loved it for the most part, felt like it kind of slacked off towards the last few floors though.

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat the B2 boss on my first try. I really didn't find it as obtuse as

using Gooigi in the DinoBoss to have him try to eat him.

Not mechanically obtuse, I just found it a bit awkward in the controls/scripting. The thing that kept driving me nuts was

the fact that getting popped/kicked out of the water has Luigi automatically start blowing up a new tube. Would have been great to have that trigger by the player walking to the edge or something as I kept accidentally popping and wasting time being locked into an animation rather than getting to the boss while he was stunned.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
People here have already mentioned a couple of the rewards, but there is one more reward on top of that for doing all the achievements (which does include capturing rare ghosts):

You get a golden Poltergust G-00. Purely cosmetic like everything else, but yeah.

Also, all of these things can be shown off in Scarescraper, so you actually can get some use out of them.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
People who had trouble with the B2 ghost only have to realize that Luigi will go exactly in the direction of your control stick. They're over thinking the controls.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared the five floor scarescraper. Actually had a good team.

10F HERE I GO

Also every time I play I am always green or pink, never the other colors. Pink is the best one though so I can't complain.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
People who had trouble with the B2 ghost only have to realize that Luigi will go exactly in the direction of your control stick. They're over thinking the controls.
I didn't really have trouble with it, but it was kind of awkward trying to send the bombs back at the boss when you also had to deal with Luigi going the opposite direction of the bombs when you try to blow it at him, and also having to deal with spikes behind you if you went too far backward while doing it. On top of that, if you wanted to get closer to the bomb after floating out of range, you had to turn around and blow air backwards because if you just sucked air in while looking forward, the bomb would start floating toward you. Just an awkward situation that would have been better if you could just suck up the bomb itself and shoot it at the boss. It's not like the boss was difficult at all even with this awkward control issues.