• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really have trouble with it, but it was kind of awkward trying to send the bombs back at the boss when you also had to deal with Luigi going the opposite direction of the bombs when you try to blow it at him, and also having to deal with spikes behind you if you went too far backward while doing it. On top of that, if you wanted to get closer to the bomb after floating out of range, you had to turn around and blow air backwards because if you just sucked air in while looking forward, the bomb would start floating toward you. Just an awkward situation that would have been better if you could just suck up the bomb itself and shoot it at the boss. It's not like the boss was difficult at all even with this awkward control issues.
Uh, the bombs have nothing to do with that fight besides avoiding them

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I didn't really have trouble with it, but it was kind of awkward trying to send the bombs back at the boss when you also had to deal with Luigi going the opposite direction of the bombs when you try to blow it at him, and also having to deal with spikes behind you if you went too far backward while doing it. On top of that, if you wanted to get closer to the bomb after floating out of range, you had to turn around and blow air backwards because if you just sucked air in while looking forward, the bomb would start floating toward you. Just an awkward situation that would have been better if you could just suck up the bomb itself and shoot it at the boss. It's not like the boss was difficult at all even with this awkward control issues.
Ignore the bombs. Just pick up the ghost's floatie when his gets dizzy and blow him into the spikes. Have Gooigi waiting up top to slam the ghost. This boss was simple and easy.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
This game still fantastic, almost completing the story. Can't wait to get to MP, hope it is good and different from Dark Moon. Really remember being addicted to DM online.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it up last night. Great game and it's likely to be in my top 5 of the year.

Towards the end it did start to drag ever so slightly. The backtracking segments were completely annoying (thankfully there weren't many). Some of the late stages felt like filler since they were rather short. One of my favorite moments of the entire game though was during Floor 12f after you get the super suction add on and need to clear away the ship. That was just an utterly amazing visual segment there, quite striking

Using the golden bones was a bit annoying since it just took so long between dying and being respawned. Fortunately it didn't happen very often and I used most of them on the final boss.

Great game overall despite a couple annoyances. None really overly detracted from the experience. Would love to see some DLC

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Game Time on my save file is 17 hours. But switch says over 25 hours. Bit odd

Either way I am taking forever to get through this game and I have another 3 floors to go. I am meticulously hoovering every nook and cranny

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is getting all the Gems worth it? I've completed the first three floors you get to (Basement, Lobby & Rooms) but I'm not sure whether I want to keep looking in all the other flows from now on.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how far in I am
Just made it to the floor with all the plants.

Loving everything about the game. Some minor complaints about controls, but the presentation, cohesiveness, and polish is really top of the line, even for a Nintendo published game. Feels like playing a pixar movie.

One thing I'm really loving so far are the bosses.
I think the last 3 have been particularly great with the chef, conductor/piano, and king/joust. The scale and originality has really started to go through the roof and the arenas have gotten bigger. If it keeps going this way, these are the best bosses I've seen in a Nintendo first party game this generation.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Is getting all the Gems worth it? I've completed the first three floors you get to (Basement, Lobby & Rooms) but I'm not sure whether I want to keep looking in all the other flows from now on.

The reward isn't too terribly exciting, but I found it was the journey (the creativity in finding and how to collect the gems was a ton of fun for me) and not the destination that made it worthwhile.

May 5, 2018
Beat the game last night. What a great, joyous game this ended up being. A solid amount of detail went into the animations of the characters during gameplay and cutscenes and it's really a lot of fun to explore the hotel. The puzzles are pretty clever and it's actually really amusing to wreck so much carnage in this hotel by vacuuming or blowing everything in each floor and then get some money or gems for your wreckage. I will say the final two boss fights weren't as good as Floor 12's fight (the best one in my mind) but they were fun.

I did enjoy the gimmick of Hellen's fight where you have Gooigi hep Luigi by turning off power inputs for the lasers. But I found that it wasn't worth it to catch Hellen when all 4 lasers were up because she'd Just take you to one. I waited when 1 or 2 lasers were down for Luigi to get her.

As for King Boo difficulty wise I get like it was an appropriate last battle, but it got pretty frustrating. It seemed like the game only designated a small amount of chances for you to launch a bomb at King Boo. Sometimes he gawked at you when after he launches the bombs to let you counter attack and sometimes he didn't. Also it was hard to indicate which King Boo was the real one that it felt like a very strange guessing game with little logic as to how you find the real one. I saw one King Boo do a special slam attack and that was when I thought it was the real one. But when I launched my bomb and what I thought was THE target it was fake. It was still super satisfying to get Luigi and Gooigi to slam King Boo around by his tongue though.

I'm feeling pretty good about this game Ranking in my top 10 (maybe top 5) this year.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely feel like the biggest missed opportunity wasnt offering more (and more expensive) items in the shop to tempt the player in balancing a high score versus other benefits.

Also creating more final ranks so the thresholds for a high score arent so easy to achieve.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Beat the game.

Final boss wasn't terribly impressive.
He was more bombastic in 2 with the escape segments, and just in this game the shark was much more creative.

Also think money needed a better use, I like how it was tied to upgrades in 2.

That said, the general gameplay is so much better than the previous games, and I love that the hotel is filled with characters like the mansion in 1. Can safely rank the series 3>1>2.

Don't think I really care to backtrack through the whole hotel to collect all the gems and boos, too many other games to play. Especially when a lot of it just boils down to using your dark light everywhere.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game last night, played through the game with my wife.

Loved it. Only part I hated was the cat.....so bloody annoying.

Nov 8, 2017
So for those who completed the game (or are close), how would you rank the floors? Post your top 3 and bottom 3. I hope to enter the conversation soon but I'm only up to floor 12

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So for those who completed the game (or are close), how would you rank the floors? Post your top 3 and bottom 3. I hope to enter the conversation soon but I'm only up to floor 12
Top 3:

Bottom 3:

2 (second visit)

I liked basically everything, I just happened to like the bottom 3 a little less lol. I also intentionally left out the tutorial floors, so B1, 1, 2 (first visit), and 5.

The middle of the game (starting at floor 4 and culminating at the floor 12 boss fight) is overall the strongest portion of it. It was just hit after hit, for the most part.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
4F

Amadeus Wolfgeist is a pretty big difficulty spike from the earlier bosses, isn't he? I'd have been in real trouble if so many hearts didn't drop during the fight.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Things I'd like to buy with money in Luigi's Mansion 4:

+Luigi costume colors or outfits
+Flashlight patterns
+Interesting limited use items like in Scarescraper
+Optional upgrades like sucking ghosts up faster or faster flashlight charge
+Doghouse for Polterpup

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game, the final boss wasnt as difficult as some pople here were implying but its true its the only one that killed me 2 times (the only time i was killed was by the 2B boss, which is definetly the worse boss in the game, but i had a golden bone in that one so I didnt need to do a repeat).
The worse part of the final boss are the tongue attacks and having to see the middle cutscene without skipping.

The game has been a blast, Morty (Otto van Decliv in the spanish version, that is a MUCH better name. In fact, why is he called Morty in english? Otto becuase of Otto Preminger and "van decliv" as in his career goes downward) was the fucking best and his secret custscene was genius. I never cacthed him, and I dont think im gonna, even if i try to go for 100% lol

Best game of the saga, Bryce Holliday is the best director western Nintendo has, and Marie Wyatt, Aric Norine and the rest of the animation team desrve an award.

Cant wait to see whats next for NLG. My prefered games? Punch-Out!! 2 or another old Nintendo IP. Luigis Mansion needs a nice vacation after this.

1st: 8
Best portrait ghost with Morty, he was full of charm and Im actually sad more ghost dont have dialogue, incredibly inventive with the cinema screens, incredibly final battle with secret cutcscen if you let Morty make his movie
2nd: , 10, 11 and 13
the pyramid, the magic show and the gym
3rd: Also with a tie 3, 4, 9, 12 and 14
the mall, the music hall (best boss with Morty), the dino museum. pirates of the haunted mansion and the disco. The last floor also has some great puzzle rooms

Bottom, the rest. I wouldnt say they were bad, but not as good as the others.
EDIT
Wait, i do have one that i dont really like. 7
apart from the electric saw room, i didnt found it fun, and i didnt like the boss either, music was also meh. For example, music and some of the puzzles save B2

I can't get over how much i like the soundtrack, it might beat Astral Chain for my personal Ost of the year...

Its incredible and so many styles.
Chad York had a homerun with this soundtrack and Punch-Out!! one. Both have the same worldwinde music styles, but this time it was more into genres intead of world locations.
The music from 8, B2 and 3 are stellar. The music for boss 4 is incredible.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it and had a great time. Got all of the
gems
but missed a few
boos
. Is there any reason to get them? Also curious if there is
a better ranking than A?
. I will need to help my son with the last boss for certain, he was the only one I died too (at least I had the free bone). The co-op mode is a lot of fun though so it will be fun to help him through the last few levels.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it and had a great time. Got all of the
gems
but missed a few
boos
. Is there any reason to get them? Also curious if there is
a better ranking than A?
. I will need to help my son with the last boss for certain, he was the only one I died too (at least I had the free bone). The co-op mode is a lot of fun though so it will be fun to help him through the last few levels.
The gems and boos unlock a very minor cosmetic each,
the crystal plunger for gems and a Boo-face-projecting flashlight from Boos

Think A rank is the maximum confirmed still. If there is an S it must be an insane amount of money, but since they cut the ranks below C from the previous game there's probably no rank S either.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just beat the desert floor. First boss I've legitimately died to. It's not fair because the recoveries get exposed early and often. And if you fail the cycle, which is easy to fail, you have to start that cycle over. The bosses sure are getting tougher.

Also, and I don't want the answer just given to me, but am I missing something with the basement 2 level? There's the door and ladder underneath the second room in that area that I'm not sure is accessible. And then there are those really high up shelves throughout. What am I supposed to do with those? Also, there were some super-jank spots in some areas in the tunnels.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
Please help me. I need to get the blue gem on the cinema floor. It's the last gem for me and it's the only thing that keeps me from challenging the final boss. I finally looked it up but the walkthrough doesn't work. It's driving me insane.

I know that the blue gem is in the ice block and I need to melt it with fire. The problem is all of the cameras are smashed. I think that happened when I fought against the kitty. I can't figure out how to repair them and without the cameras I don't have access to fire. Is there a solution I just can't see or am I fucked?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the game, the final boss wasnt as difficult as some pople here were implying but its true its the only one that killed me 2 times (the only time i was killed was by the 2B boss, which is definetly the worse boss in the game, but i had a golden bone in that one so I didnt need to do a repeat).
The worse part of the final boss are the tongue attacks and having to see the middle cutscene without skipping.

The game has been a blast, Morty (Otto van Decliv in the spanish version, that is a MUCH better name. In fact, why is he called Morty in english? Otto becuase of Otto Preminger and "van decliv" as in his career goes downward) was the fucking best and his secret custscene was genius. I never cacthed him, and I dont think im gonna, even if i try to go for 100% lol

Best game of the saga, Bryce Holliday is the best director western Nintendo has, and Marie Wyatt, Aric Norine and the rest of the animation team desrve an award.

Cant wait to see whats next for NLG. My prefered games? Punch-Out!! 2 or another old Nintendo IP. Luigis Mansion needs a nice vacation after this.

1st: 8
Best portrait ghost with Morty, he was full of charm and Im actually sad more ghost dont have dialogue, incredibly inventive with the cinema screens, incredibly final battle with secret cutcscen if you let Morty make his movie
2nd: , 10, 11 and 13
the pyramid, the magic show and the gym
3rd: Also with a tie 3, 4, 9, 12 and 14
the mall, the music hall (best boss with Morty), the dino museum. pirates of the haunted mansion and the disco. The last floor also has some great puzzle rooms

Bottom, the rest. I wouldnt say they were bad, but not as good as the others.
EDIT
Wait, i do have one that i dont really like. 7
apart from the electric saw room, i didnt found it fun, and i didnt like the boss either, music was also meh. For example, music and some of the puzzles save B2

Its incredible and so many styles.
Chad York had a homerun with this soundtrack and Punch-Out!! one. Both have the same worldwinde music styles, but this time it was more into genres intead of world locations.
The music from 8, B2 and 3 are stellar. The music for boss 4 is incredible.
Just arrived in B2 and yep the music there is great.

breakdown

Nov 8, 2017
Please help me. I need to get the blue gem on the cinema floor. It's the last gem for me and it's the only thing that keeps me from challenging the final boss. I finally looked it up but the walkthrough doesn't work. It's driving me insane.

I know that the blue gem is in the ice block and I need to melt it with fire. The problem is all of the cameras are smashed. I think that happened when I fought against the kitty. I can't figure out how to repair them and without the cameras I don't have access to fire. Is there a solution I just can't see or am I fucked?

use the torch you used to melt the spiderweb to melt the gem from the ice block

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
19 hours non-stop, got A-Rank (used a guide to find the gems and Boo's). Game was fun, but I didn't bother with the multiplayer modes.

My Joy-Con's suffered from the J-Con drift made several bosses, such as Basement Level 2's, much harder than it should've been.

Co-op mode was made for this game, and would be perfect for road trips.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
use the torch you used to melt the spiderweb to melt the gem from the ice block
the torch is inside the cardboard box and without the camera I can't open it. I think I'm stuck. Not really stuck but I won't finish the game without the last gem and this kinda ruined the whole thing for me.

Edit: I solved it. The torch was behind the cardboard and I couldn't get it out but moving the ice as near as possible to the cardboard did the trick. Somehow there was an invisible flame reaching through. I still think this is a bug but at least I can finish the game now with all gems.

Last edited:

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Just finished the
Hellen Gravely
boss fight.

I liked it! I thought it was clever with its

active use of Googi.

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Partway through 10F after loving B2 (really not understanding the hate there), and am feeling very glad that it's not just a boss floor! Based on the layout, I was expecting that... quite the surprise!

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Completed the campaign last night with an A rank!

The final boss wasn't great but wasn't terrible, either.

I love
how energetic Mario was in the build-up to the boss. It was like he had had too much caffeine or something haha

Ohnooni

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone played this game in coop and would recommend it for a beginner?
I was thinking about playing it with my wife, can we play it together from start to finish?
She actually played more than half of Luigi's Mandion 2 on her own, so I guess she will
get the mechanics quickly and might enjoy this one too.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Partway through 10F after loving B2 (really not understanding the hate there), and am feeling very glad that it's not just a boss floor! Based on the layout, I was expecting that... quite the surprise!
Completed B2 yesterday and i loved it to be honest, the boss was also cool.
Floor 10 is amazing so far, this game keeps me surprised and entertained in such a good way.

The structure of LM3 is an exemplary exposition of classic Nintendo gamedesign. You just want to see what the next world is going to look like and that keeps you going because they are all excellent and just fun to explore.

Luigis Mansion 3 is without a doubt going to land in my top 3 games this year.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the deal with B2? Is it the water temple of LM3? I don't understand the hate. It's got a unique theme, plays well, and is long enough. Baffles me really.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
It's the controls. The Level is cool and all but the duck floaty controls like shit. There's just no logic behind it. I've beat the level an I still can't predict the direction the floaty is going to turn 10% of the time. It just feels random. A lot of people feel that way.

Aside from this minor complaint I loved the style and theme of B2. And I loved the whole game. Contender for GOTY for me.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Anyone played this game in coop and would recommend it for a beginner?
I was thinking about playing it with my wife, can we play it together from start to finish?
She actually played more than half of Luigi's Mandion 2 on her own, so I guess she will
get the mechanics quickly and might enjoy this one too.

I'd absolutely reccommend it. I played the whole campaign with my sibling and it was a blast. The first 3 floors were a bit slow since co-op is unlocked at the 4th floor you visit, but once you are past that, I'd say that co-op is the most fun way to play.

Ohnooni

Oct 27, 2017
I'd absolutely reccommend it. I played the whole campaign with my sibling and it was a blast. The first 3 floors were a bit slow since co-op is unlocked at the 4th floor you visit, but once you are past that, I'd say that co-op is the most fun way to play.
That sounds great, I'll get it then.
Hope the first 3 Floors will not take too long but we could always take turns, watching my wife play is just as entertaining.
Thanks for your Input :)

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So what's the deal with B2? Is it the water temple of LM3? I don't understand the hate. It's got a unique theme, plays well, and is long enough. Baffles me really.
I think it's the core push/pull mechanic in the level, which to me makes sense but you need to get the hang of it, and not knowing how the boss works in a confined space which can result in frustration. Thematically B2 fits in nicely and I expected worse for sure for the main level, though I needed to use a bone before I understood the boss technique (very easy once you do).

Also just thinking about that low heath sound can trigger a negative connotation. Game will be better off for it if they ever patch that out