• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Looks great, the variety in location types is pretty impressive and promising. Gotta hurry and finish DQXI before this comes out...

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Charles Martinet sounded like he recorded Luigi's voice with syrup inside his mouth.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how long i'll be, im guessing 8h not counting multiplayers/mini games

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im going on media black out, but man, I really hope they get creative with boss ghosts. Them not being humanoid and the enemies being 2's LoL WaCkY blobs being in over the eerily goofy first game's is still such a huge bummer.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get that the bosses aren't humanoid? The only non humanoid boss is a shark and even then the original game had a dog and non humanoid ghost bosses as well so your post is confusing to me
The art style of the ghosts is more blob-y like the enemies, unlike the first game where there was a clear distinct difference between enemy shapes and the clearly human ghost body types, save for maybe bogmire.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh...not really tho?
Luigis-Mansion-3-gameplay-shows-off-garden-themed-floor-1280x720.jpg
and
b8b7c55082adef2eebee4c4cc0e99df0.jpg

VS

Portrait%20Ghost%20Biff%20Atlas.jpg

images

Theres a clear effort to avoid the cute creepiness of the first in favor of just going full wacky supernatural, and the boss ghosts looking a lot less like people shows that, and it's disappointing. The bosses just look like normal ghosts with a few things pnned on instead of actual full unique personalities.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of Next Level's ghost design. Even the regular ghosts are just... bland, to me, and the bosses are even worse compared to the first game's portrait ghosts. This one is doing better than Dark Moon on that end but I still can't say I like it.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
and

VS

images

Theres a clear effort to avoid the cute creepiness of the first in favor of just going full wacky supernatural, and the boss ghosts looking a lot less like people shows that, and it's disappointing. The bosses just look like normal ghosts with a few things pnned on instead of actual full unique personalities.
Why didn't you post the chef? Why didn't you post Morty? Is it because he shows more emotion and personality than any lm1 ghost combined. What is the unique personality of biff? How does having the blue ghost be more humanoid(thus having them use more gameplay mechanics like sword fighting throwing and sheilding) change the fact that lm3 bosses look like people?

Nov 4, 2018
I still think Luigi's voice sounds really off. It sounds like Charle's voice is a lot dryer and rougher. Guess we're finally starting to see Charle's age effect his performances.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
and

VS

images

It should also be noted that how dr potter behaves and how the common ghosts behave are completely different. Dr. Potter is mean and angry, nothing like the mischievous common ghosts. He's a grumpy old man who attacks you throughout the entire level.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Looking at the boss designs, they're clearly more inspired by the different floor themes. Sure it's different to the first games design of having the portrait ghosts fill in for different members of an actual house, but I think it's still quite charming. Plus you have some real stand out designs like
switch-luigismansion3-e3-artwork-105.large.jpg

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should also be noted that how dr potter behaves and how the common ghosts behave are completely different. Dr. Potter is mean and angry, nothing like the mischievous common ghosts. He's a grumpy old man who attacks you throughout the entire level.
Okay? It doesnt negate that his design is still too similar to the ghosts, and overall clearly toned way down compared to the first.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't you post the chef? Why didn't you post Morty? Is it because he shows more emotion and personality than any lm1 ghost combined. What is the unique personality of biff? How does having the blue ghost be more humanoid(thus having them use more gameplay mechanics like sword fighting throwing and sheilding) change the fact that lm3 bosses look like people?
As I said, im avoiding most media, and have only seen a few.

Also, I dont like the kind of "personality" they give, where it feels more like Scooby Doo, when the first game felt more like Goosebumps. The Dark Moon ghosts are awful in both design and personality because they are a joke, while Luigi's Mansion 1's ghosts were the bullies and Luigi the joke.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
Okay? It doesnt negate that his design is still too similar to the ghosts, and overall clearly toned way down compared to the first.
I just think it's funny that you try to draw this conclusion with just 2 pictures. What about the scene where Dr. Potter grows pineapples to crush luigi. Is that something mischievous common ghosts do? You said he lacked a personality

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's funny that you try to draw this conclusion with just 2 pictures. What about the scene where Dr. Potter grows pineapples to crush luigi. Is that something mischievous common ghosts do? You said he lacked a personality
Again, you're getting weirdly defensive and just trolling now

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
As I said, im avoiding most media, and have only seen a few.

Also, I dont like the kind of "personality" they give, where it feels more like Scooby Doo, when the first game felt more like Goosebumps. The Dark Moon ghosts are awful in both design and personality because they are a joke, while Luigi's Mansion 1's ghosts were the bullies and Luigi the joke.
We're not talking about dark moon

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these ghosts are Dark Moon's ghosts but blue instead of green

Sure, the common ghosts are since they want to use the fact that those ghosts can interact with objects but the boss ghosts have a number of different shapes ranging from humanoid to wacky. Mr. Potter is just one example of the later.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the common ghosts are since they want to use the fact that those ghosts can interact with objects but the boss ghosts have a number of different shapes ranging from humanoid to wacky. Mr. Potter is just one example of the later.
You can make any ghost interact with objects, its not a strict in-universe rule that only DM's ghosts can lol.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can make any ghost interact with objects, its not a strict in-universe rule that only DM's ghosts can lol.

I meant more they can reuse the animations they had (like for instance why the hotel has an egyptian tomb is clearly so they can reuse the mummy ghosts from Dark Moon) but I'm not the one making declarative statements about the game while there are clear contradictions in the OP's video.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I mean, it's fine to prefer 1's artstyle (which also comes down a bit to how luminescent/transparent the ghosts are) but you do have this DJ ghost who it's safe to say is more human-looking that Mr. Luggs.
LM_Mr_Luggs_Screenshot.png

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
these ghosts are Dark Moon's ghosts but blue instead of green
The fact that Next Level Games has said they wanted to bring portrait ghosts back specifically because of criticism against Dark Moon has alleviated my fears about bland ghosts for the most part. The fact that most of the footage they show tries to show off these boss ghosts and their interactions with Luigi helps alot too. It's clearly changed in art style and presentation though, so it's perfectly fine to be wary. I'm hoping for the best.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant more they can reuse the animations they had (like for instance why the hotel has an egyptian tomb is clearly so they can reuse the mummy ghosts from Dark Moon) but I'm not the one making declarative statements about the game while there are clear contradictions in the OP's video.
For a series that gets a game every half a decade, it really shouldnt have to reuse so much that it cant deviate in its artstyle.

But, again, my biggest problem with both DM and this is its tone. Like I said before, 2 and 3 are Scooby Doo while 1 was Goosebumps, and I'm kinda tired of slapstick ghosts.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
always impressed by how clean this game looks
amazing how its improved since reveal

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's fine to prefer 1's artstyle (which also comes down a bit to how luminescent the ghosts are) but you do have this DJ ghost who it's safe to say is more human-looking that Mr. Luggs.
LM_Mr_Luggs_Screenshot.png

Or Miss Petunia or Jarvis which also share designs more in line with common ghosts that the humanoid ones.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
For a series that gets a game every half a decade, it really shouldnt have to reuse so much that it cant deviate in its artstyle.

But, again, my biggest problem with both DM and this is its tone. Like I said before, 2 and 3 are Scooby Doo while 1 was Goosebumps, and I'm kinda tired of slapstick ghosts.
Huh? It has 17 floors of deviation. 17 floors of interactive environments.

I do understand that a lot of people don't like the tone of the newer games but I think (as game design goes) it's for the best. The dark rooms of the original game are used to hide it's shallow interaction with the environment and wouldn't work in a game where almost every room is a puzzle of some sort. Having to shine a flashlight just to see the pieces of a puzzle, every single time, would get old extremely fast. And then there's the case that a constantly eerie spooky atmosphere is very creatively constricting. Would any of Luigi's abilities in lm3 fit in with the atmosphere of the original? The goofiness of Gooigi would take away from spookiness as well as the burst and plunger. And how many varying environment are possible in this atmosphere without becoming boring after playing more than 3 hours. Lm1 dosen't work as a big budget game and Nintendo knows that.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Holy fffffffff...

UCK.

Once again I'm not even watching this shit properly cuz there is absolutely no point in doing so. I'm just skimming and not paying attention and I can see how insane this game looks.

Cannot wait. This is gonna be an EVENT.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
What is this about the ghosts in the first game having "real" personalities? I haven't played it in ages but I remember half of them just basically sitting in a room with one real trait if that before you suck them up. Oh this guy wears a heavy coat and sits in a freezer, this guy is fat and eats. Seems weaker than something like a sad director looking to create a movie and actually talks to you.