• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 15, 2017
For someone like me, it's like nails on chalkboard.

I agree. For me the accent was the least enjoyable part of this season. I do give them props for trying though.

I would much rather they went with full on Patois or "Jamaican" with baked in subtitles than reworking the language to fit the English structure and sounding awful.

Overall I really enjoyed this season.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I think I enjoyed this better than Season 1.

That conversation between Mariah and Tilda hit home. Just super emotional

Can't believe they fixed Danny in 1 episode. I really want H4H now

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I felt about the ending, but damn this season was incredible. Bushmaster is one of my new favorites for sure.

Though as someone who really liked Jessica and Luke together, my ship keeps getting further and further away :(

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Man, Shades went from being a (corny as hell) mob hitman/enforcer caricature in season one, to a genuinely interesting character this season.
Shades feels like a transposed Deus Ex protagonist. I love him. Cast Theo Rossi as Denton, Jensen, or an OC. He has the perfect curtness, voice hoarseness, swagger, and of course... the sunglasses.

He and Comanche have my favorite plotline. It's cliche as hell, but very well executed.

My next favorite part of this season so far has been Colleen and Misty's segment. Colleen was so awesome there, and I'm tempted to watch Iron Fist (which I skipped) just for her now.

I still have a 5 episodes to go.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I trust your advice, Lotus, but I might ignore it.

I see.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f3334566865644f7042466c6944773d3d2d3434363033313134362e313465626236333265366131373436303736383134383231343939362e676966

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man was not expecting that ending lol. Just finished the season and it got so good towards the end. This season was a huge improvement over the first season.

I almost feel like they cant do a Heroes for Hire show now though lol. At least not until a Luke Cage season 3 has happened.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the second to last episode. Really enjoyed it. A little slow at times but didn't have the pacing problems season 1 had where everything went to shit at the end.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I went from not finishing season 1 cause it felt so bland to binge watching season 2 in 3 days. Not perfect but the main cast really did good through and through. Ending was not what I expected, in a good way though cause it could take a really interesting turn in season 3.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So basically when the shot this they thought "So what was good and what was bad about S1?" and they doubled down on everything.

Great cast (Bushmaster oozes charisma, Mariah and Shades are still overacting almost every scene but it just works, Luke's father is great, Colter's still serviceable, Hissick is great) even if Cottonmouth is still untouched, great character moments mid season, some passable action and a general sense of humanity permeating the nonsensical story.

And then they made sure the pacing was all over the place, that nothing about the plot made a lick of sense ("We need to find Mariah, we need to take her down, how about the Jamaican parade?" SHE'S IN THE CLUB. EVERYONE KNOWS SHE'S IN THE CLUB. YOU CAN ENTER THE CLUB ANYTIME SHE GOT NOTHING TO STOP YOU FFS), every character having a 180° turn at least a couple times (Mariah is another victim! No she's a monster! A victim! A monster! Bushmaster is a bloodthirsty sadist... but hey he's not that bad after all! There's even the obligatory "We're not so different!" line we mocked in every other MCU tv series so far and it happens AFTER Luke solves his daddy/anger issues).

The musical moments are still cool but you start to wonder why these respectable artists are supposed to accept playing at the club of a woman who is well known for oppressing and terrorizing the community.

Most importantly, they must have thought: what made the first season of Luke Cage special, what made it different from other MCU shows? It was BORING. Not "I'm engaged in this but it's kind of boring because it's defying my expectations" a la JJS2. Not the "I want to die please kill me" Iron Fist boring. It was a "this is a really good premise in the strongest setting for these series and with some of the best ideas and cast for these series, so now that we have all this potential let's do absolutely nothing with it" trademark of boring that LCS2 delivers again with such passionate determination you almost applaud it. The third time Bushmaster and Cage fight you realize this is even less interesting than a duel between Rey and Kylo Ren, there's no real question about who will win and what that will entail.

Luke Cage S2's plot, much like its titular protagonist, moves at the slow, relentless speed of inevitability. We absolutely empathize with Luke's constant groans as stuff that can't possibly affect him happen around him and people run around like headless chicken changing ideas every 2 episodes in order to make sure nobody has anything close to a remarkable, consister character ark.

I didn't even hate the season. I couldn't. Luke Cage S2's complete lack of soul is an emotional vacuum cleaner that sucks any possible reaction out of you, and you end every episode contemplating how time has elapsed yet you feel like you haven't moved one inch. What a glorious trainwreck.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I trust your advice, Lotus, but I might ignore it. It'll depend on how fatigued on Marvel I am after finishing this.
As someone who has liked basically everything Marvel has done since Iron Man, I have to say don't bother watching Iron Fist. It's bad, and the parts that carry over into Defenders actively make that series worse.

I didn't even bother watching Inhumans just because it had the same showrunner, even though I love Agents of SHIELD and like half its stories involve inhumans in some way.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Shades is the best there is. Sorry Johnny McIver.

Comanche was great as well.

And now I need Iron Fist S2 to come along so we can get some more Danny and Colleen kicking ass.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
yeah no i can't do it

Got to the end of S02E01 with the dab and that god awful new kid and have to bail. This is worse than anything that went down in Iron Fist.

I immediately watched an episode of Glow afterwards, and it's staggering a much of a gulf in quality there is between the two shows when one actually has great writers, directors, and performers. This shit is amateur.

Mike Colter deserves better.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
yeah no i can't do it

Got to the end of S02E01 with the dab and that god awful new kid and have to bail. This is worse than anything that went down in Iron Fist.

I immediately watched an episode of Glow afterwards, and it's staggering a much of a gulf in quality there is between the two shows when one actually has great writers, directors, and performers. This shit is amateur.

Everything you said in this post is true.

That said, I still enjoyed Luke Cage season 2...as awful as the lows were. The highs were very good.

But yes, by all measures and ANY standard, Glow is a significantly better show.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah no i can't do it

This is the one Netflix show where each episode improves on the last, and the finale is fantastic. I almost dropped the season because of episode 1, but there is so much good in the season, that it would be criminal to miss it

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I think the pacing was rock solid after episode 2-3 and you know who left.

But then episode 10-11 happens and I felt they could have wrapped things up by then.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Netflix's Universe of shows is in a race to see who can write the worst season. When a season is so lackluster I'm excited for _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ appearing. Something is wrong.

This show does a ton of telling instead of showing. Was Mariah and Bushmaster really causing that much chaos? With exception to the church. All their gang war did was disrupt some trap houses, 2 night clubs, and a restaurant. For the day to day people of Harlem, they seem so unaffected.

You know what would've fixed this? Removing the omniscient eye with so many perspectives. The season would be more compelling if Luke Cage is trying to do his best to contain the chaos from these two minimally seen forces while their chaos is abrupt and actually causing havoc. The restaurant scene particuarly would become a giant surprise when for the first time, they attack innocents. By focusing only on Cage and the neighborhood, you could establish a true change in setting if harlem went from bright and sunny to boarded up windows.

Also, isn't it weird for 12 episodes Luke spent trying to stop Mariah from dying to Bushmaster but when she dies to her own daughter he doesn't just accept and approve her death. He fucking enjoys it. WHAT!? How is that even logical? Shouldn't he be mad?

Mariah and Shades also have zero onscreen chemistry. I've never seen two actors in a romance be so dispassionate. Which I would be fine with if Shades wasn't actually in love with her. In my opinion, Shades' potential is a bit ruined the moment he kept talking about true love with Mariah. He seemed in Season 1 to just be the Littlefinger of the series but ended up being Moon Boy.

I'm also not sure why Shades was bisexual this season. I'm all for LGBTQ+. But the moment, dreads and him sat in a room and talked about being prison lovers, I knew he was going to die and shades was going to kill him. His sexuality was not genuine but a shitty plot device to make Dreads death sadder. Which is shameful.

The plot also has too many conveniences. Challenges presented to characters seem less like something they solve but something that conveniently goes away. Luke Cage needs money because he violently beat up an abuser and in general he needs money to survive, That's interesting theme to take for a super hero show instead of other super heroes shows that the main characters just inherit millions of dollars. (Looking at you Flash/Arrow) How will Luke solve that hurdle? Oh, he takes a show for $150,000. Okay, this is interesting. He's going a little against his morals- Oh, his accuser is beheaded so the law suit is dropped and he doesn't have to figure out how to make money. That's convenient.

I think the only time I was happy with the show was when Mariah got her wealth back. That was the first time the show had logic. On the flip side, Iron fist. Why would you buy a drug warehouse moments before you burn it down. That's an immediate federal case and the police would have reasonable doubt to believe Rand enterprise was in the drug trade when they are bailing trap owners out especially when the day before there was a shoot out with Bushmaster and Mariah at your unopened pharma warehouse. Seriously, what the fuck was that scene?

I also feel Bushmaster lost all threat after episode 8. He spared Luke's life multiple times for no reason. Why introduce him by having him gut the eyes out of an enemy to show he is ruthless then have him just make a pass at his largest foe? A man, that if he killed would propel him to godhood in Harlem where Mariah's goons would probably fold just knowing he killed the Bullet proof man. But it's okay. Kick Luke on the pavement. Then kick him into the river. Oh, you want to kill him with your knife now.... after you have no night shade- cool.

Other Nit Picks:
Can this show decide what is Luke Cage's power? If you punch Luke Cage, do your bones break like in episode 1? OR can you punch him normally. The show is very wishy-washy when it comes to this.

Musical Performances. I'm fine with them but you dont need to give each performer a large chunk of screen time if they have no consequence to the plot. In Tron:Legacy, that entire movie was a Daft Punk synth electronic music video. Their time on screen: 3-4 seconds.

Social Commentary. If your not going to tackle being black in america, stop throwing off lines randomly like you are. No line annoyed me more than: I'm black,an ex con and in a hoodie. And For the jury, Black negates both * (paraphrase). If you're not going to tackle systemic racism, why bring it up? He's a vigilante. He's a criminal. That's all you need to discredit yourself.

Misty: Why did you even lose your arm? You got a mechanical arm which the prop department lazily made. It's just a glove. Seriously, they didn't even put in sounds in post production for its mechanics? A light weight, fully silent arm might be more advanced than even Stark's suit. Why even cut off the arm if the mechanical one has no drawbacks. It actually fucking enhances her strength. What should be a handicap is an immediate strength. She did very minimal training to even get used to using it. One scene she is clumsy. The next she is using it as her main hand again.

More Misty: Misty's greatest super power is knowing what the audience already knows. All of her sherlock moments made me laugh when she reenacts the crime scenes. Wow, this would be real interesting if I didn't see EXACTLY what happened last episode. Again, this goes with the first point I made about perspective. This is an element that could've been cool if we weren't an omniscient eye. If Luke Cage and Misty actually had to solve mysteries to find Bushmaster/ Mariah's plans and chaos, that'd be cool. But, you know, easier to just spoil everything.

I honestly have no hope for season 3. How can Luke Cage be a crime boss when he is so self righteous? How can he be a crime boss if he cant kill? All he can issue are empty threats. I see Crime Boss Luke Cage lasting for a total of 1-2 episodes before they abandon the concept and go back to status quo.

Oh, god. I wrote all this and didn't even mention what the most dangerous theme about season 2 was: Policing doesn't work. Vigilantism is true justice.
The system is apparently so broken, they would rather have witch hunts than trials.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded of something from the comics. It wasn't a Luke Cage comic, although Cage was in it.

Bendis' Daredevil run, where DD overthrew the Kingpin and took over for him. And it was Luke Cage who told DD that he was going to far. I think it would be a fun inversion to have DD fill that role in LC season 3.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Woodard serious with this performance?

I'm only on episode 8 but the acting is downright laughable.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Is Woodard serious with this performance?

I'm only on episode 8 but the acting is downright laughable.

The epitome of opinions being like assholes. No, wait.

yeah no i can't do it

This might be worse. There's not one episode, not one scene, not one single line of Luke Cage Season 2 that's worse than Iron Fist. The best episode of Iron Fist is just slightly better than the worst of Luke Cage season 1, even.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Alfre Woodard is way above the garbage material she has to work with. Even a pro like her can't make it work.

Juice from SoA is also incredibly terrible here.

There's just so much wrong on the presentation front. I don't know of if the creative team is to blame, or if Netflix severely slashed their budget.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alfre Woodard is way above the garbage material she has to work with. Even a pro like her can't make it work.

Juice from SoA is also incredibly terrible here.

There's just so much wrong on the presentation front. I don't know of if the creative team is to blame, or if Netflix severely slashed their budget.

Yeah that's why her performance made me jump a bit, she's usually a way better actress.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you think that her reaction when

she learn that the inspector was killed by shades
is an instance of good acting than yeah you're right, everyone has them...

Are you serious? That was clearly purposely faked.

The woman's so far gone empathy-wise, that even despite her actually not knowing that the captain died due to Shades, she can't even be bothered to try and give a genuine reaction.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom how wrong the opinions on this last page is. It's Incredible really.

Lotus explains Woodard's acting well.
It totally went above the heads of some people.

Anyway, time to tune out of this thread.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you think that her reaction when

she learn that the inspector was killed by shades
is an instance of good acting than yeah you're right, everyone has them...

It's posts like this that writers and directors read and realize that people don't get subtext and that's why we end up getting hit over the head with plot points repeatedly.

Her reaction was like that on purpose.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it.

Like all of the Marvel / Netflix collabs it definitely drags in places but Luke is a cool dude, the music is great and the supporting cast all work well together.

As someone that hasn't read any of the comics is the end to the show an arc that they've already done? Cause I'd like to read that if they have.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's posts like this that writers and directors read and realize that people don't get subtext and that's why we end up getting hit over the head with plot points repeatedly.

Her reaction was like that on purpose.

Are you serious? That was clearly purposely faked.

The woman's so far gone empathy-wise, that even despite her actually not knowing that the captain died due to Shades, she can't even be bothered to try and give a genuine reaction.

That would be fine if her acting was gradually showing that throughout the season. Here, she was like that from the very start of the season, nothing to do with subtext.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed all of Season 2, was much better than season 1.

Misty is my favourite character by far, love her.

I may actually watch Iron Fist season 2 since they seem to be handling his character much better now

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was fantastic, mainly the 2nd half.

Pros:
- The soundtrack is great, loved the jamaican themes
- Great acting. Misty is damn delicious, Bushmaster is boss, Mariah went from eh to holy shit near the end, and all the other side characters were great.
- I liked the ending. Unless i missed something i don't get why everyone is saying he's a crime boss. Not yet at least. I think S3 will show his arc of possibly going down that road and then redeeming himself.

Cons:
- Claire fucking sucks and i hope she isn't coming back. Kicking rocks after one fight with your clearly stressed the fuck out boyfriend? And you grew up in NYC? Fuck outta here.
- Tilda annoyed me. I don't get why she was pissed about losing Harlem's Paradise? Didn't seem like something that would relate to her.
- Hated Shades turing into a snitch. It made killing Comanche absolutely pointless. If he wanted Mariah gone, should have had her killed. I don't know how getting Mariah locked up would help anything. I get he wanted to get out the game but such a drastic turn over a couple of murders was too much of a stretch, regardless of the "rules". Great acting at least.

Fav quote
Luke: Bitch please... no offense.
Mariah: None taken... nigga.

Dumbest scene
*Guy who has clear shot of killing shades decides to get closer, gets overpowered and shot twice in the chest*
Shades: Give me your phone!
Guy shot twice laying on the floor: *Calmly passes his phone to Shades*

Now i need some damn Daredevil in my life.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fantastic, mainly the 2nd half.

Pros:
- The soundtrack is great, loved the jamaican themes
- Great acting. Misty is damn delicious, Bushmaster is boss, Mariah went from eh to holy shit near the end, and all the other side characters were great.
- I liked the ending. Unless i missed something i don't get why everyone is saying he's a crime boss. Not yet at least. I think S3 will show his arc of possibly going down that road and then redeeming himself.

Cons:
- Claire fucking sucks and i hope she isn't coming back. Kicking rocks after one fight with your clearly stressed the fuck out boyfriend? And you grew up in NYC? Fuck outta here.
- Tilda annoyed me. I don't get why she was pissed about losing Harlem's Paradise? Didn't seem like something that would relate to her.
- Hated Shades turing into a snitch. It made killing Comanche absolutely pointless. If he wanted Mariah gone, should have had her killed. I don't know how getting Mariah locked up would help anything. I get he wanted to get out the game but such a drastic turn over a couple of murders was too much of a stretch, regardless of the "rules". Great acting at least.

Fav quote
Luke: Bitch please... no offense.
Mariah: None taken... nigga.

Dumbest scene
*Guy who has clear shot of killing shades decides to get closer, gets overpowered and shot twice in the chest*
Shades: Give me your phone!
Guy shot twice laying on the floor: *Calmly passes his phone to Shades*

Now i need some damn Daredevil in my life.

Regarding Claire:

Her reason for leaving is pretty damn good. Yea we never got to see her past or anything, but I like that she immediately went ahead and took a break. From her PoV, she never wants to be in that kind of position again, so what's wrong with that?

Anyways she's gone now, y'all got what y'all wanted lol

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Claire:

Her reason for leaving is pretty damn good. Yea we never got to see her past or anything, but I like that she immediately went ahead and took a break. From her PoV, she never wants to be in that kind of position again, so what's wrong with that?

Anyways she's gone now, y'all got what y'all wanted lol

I get that but Luke isn't a normal dude living a normal life. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body. To connect him punching a wall to her parents domestic abuse is shit. Especially after she was nagging the shit out of him about stuff that wasn't her business. What pisses me off was her encouragement of being a hero. Getting shot at around the clock with risk of getting killed, but god forbid shit happens and you take a little anger out on a wall. Fuck that. She pulled the same shit with Daredevil and if it wasn't for him, the city would have been destroyed. Claire sucks. (Still love Rosario though <3)

He needs to hook up with Jessica again since they can relate to each other.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get that but Luke isn't a normal dude living a normal life. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body. To connect him punching a wall to her parents domestic abuse is shit. Especially after she was nagging the shit out of him about stuff that wasn't her business. What pisses me off was her encouragement of being a hero. Getting shot at around the clock with risk of getting killed, but god forbid shit happens and you take a little anger out on a wall. Fuck that. She pulled the same shit with Daredevil and if it wasn't for him, the city would have been destroyed. Claire sucks. (Still love Rosario though <3)

How can you say he doesn't have a bad bone in his body, like the dude didn't just beat the shit outta that one guy the previous episode? Like Claire said, all he had to do was conk him on the head like he usually does. Even other characters commented on his anger issues. The one in particular that got to me is how Luke's the type that likes to bottle that shit in for as long as possible. Which is alright in the short-term, but in the long-term, not exactly the healthiest thing to do.

Not to mention other sketchy stuff like not really trying to save Mariah at the very end, or this whole crime boss phase he's going through. His heart's in the right place of course, but isn't that what they all say?

Also you gotta remember that our PoV is different from hers. Obviously he's our MC, with posters even joking that he's the "black Captain America". We know the writers ain't gonna have him do anything truly fucked up, much less have him actually put his hands on her. But for Claire, all she's seeing in that moment is a very angry boyfriend, one that got super strength no less. She doesn't have the knowledge we do as viewers. And Luke punching that wall made her recall something very painful. So she dipped. Again, I don't see the issue with that. She even came back at the end, presumably to try and talk things out.

I didn't really like the argument itself all that much (though it gradually became a really great scene), but I don't got any issues for why she left.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a weird argument, and one I see come a lot in regards to character motivation that basically calls for characters to act like they have the same knowledge about something as the viewers do. All Claire knows is that her boyfriend is getting progressively more aggressive, and her attempts to talk him out of that are met by more aggression. Sure it was just the wall this time, but next time it could be her. Would Luke actually do that? Probably not, but Claire doesn't know that for a fact.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
This is a weird argument, and one I see come a lot in regards to character motivation that basically calls for characters to act like they have the same knowledge about something as the viewers do. All Claire knows is that her boyfriend is getting progressively more aggressive, and her attempts to talk him out of that are met by more aggression. Sure it was just the wall this time, but next time it could be her. Would Luke actually do that? Probably not, but Claire doesn't know that for a fact.

I respect you put some thought into this. But yeah. Only girl he can let loose with is JJ and vice versa for the record.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't know how traumatic experiences work my guy.

How can you say he doesn't have a bad bone in his body, like the dude didn't just beat the shit outta that one guy the previous episode? Like Claire said, all he had to do was conk him on the head like he usually does. Even other characters commented on his anger issues. The one in particular that got to me is how Luke's the type that likes to bottle that shit in for as long as possible. Which is alright in the short-term, but in the long-term, not exactly the healthiest thing to do.

Not to mention other sketchy stuff like not really trying to save Mariah at the very end, or this whole crime boss phase he's going through. His heart's in the right place of course, but isn't that what they all say?

Also you gotta remember that our PoV is different from hers. Obviously he's our MC, with posters even joking that he's the "black Captain America". We know the writers ain't gonna have him do anything truly fucked up, much less have him actually put his hands on her. But for Claire, all she's seeing in that moment is a very angry boyfriend, one that got super strength no less. She doesn't have the knowledge we do as viewers. And Luke punching that wall made her recall something very painful. So she dipped. Again, I don't see the issue with that. She even came back at the end, presumably to try and talk things out.

I didn't really like the argument itself all that much (though it gradually became a really great scene), but I don't got any issues for why she left.

I get it, i just didn't like it. Claire is a very stronger character. She's seen and been through some shit. Its how quick she bounces that annoys me. It was half assed and forced. All she does is bail on the heros. They didn't even continue with the "luke going too far" for the rest of the season. And I'm sure the audience shrugged it off since cockroach was an absolute shithead.

Don't even know why she would date vigilante superhero in the first place.