• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Tuning out already and it's only ep1. SO much lazy exposition and boring business talk.

Musical selections are dope though.

Man the episodes in Marvel shows are too damn long at 55-60 mins. Would be fine with 42-45.

Episode 5 is a tonal trainwreck lmao. So bad.

Actually groaned out loud when I saw the runtime for episode 6 was 64 minutes.

Boring the piss out me so far and I'm almost halfway.

shaneo632 man, I got nothing against you, but you come into every single one of these Marvel Netflix threads and complains about the pacing, runtime, episode count, subplots and shits up the entire thing and it's so tiring. You did it in the Punisher thread, the Jessica Jones one and now this one too, even triple posting your displeasure. It's fair that you're not fond of it and expresses this (I honestly don't get why you keep watching these shows when it seems like it's not something you enjoy) but I would really rather not read ten posts about it on a single page. It's really ruining the entire thread when one just want to have a nice discussion about the show and what's going on, but instead have to read through these things. Anyway, guess I just have to filter you out of these threads because it's not up to me to dictate what others posts, so really no offense, you can keep going if you want, would just appreciate it if you could hold it back a little. Here's hoping you'll actually enjoy the show.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
shaneo632 man, I got nothing against you, but you come into every single one of these Marvel Netflix threads and complains about the pacing, runtime, episode count, subplots and shits up the entire thing and it's so tiring. You did it in the Punisher thread, the Jessica Jones one and now this one too, even triple posting your displeasure. It's fair that you're not fond of it and expresses this (I honestly don't get why you keep watching these shows when it seems like it's not something you enjoy) but I would really rather not read ten posts about it on a single page. It's really ruining the entire thread when one just want to have a nice discussion about the show and what's going on, but instead have to read through these things. Anyway, guess I just have to filter you out of these threads because it's not up to me to dictate what others posts, so really no offense, you can keep going if you want, would just appreciate it if you could hold it back a little. Here's hoping you'll actually enjoy the show.

I feel you man, I should probably just edit my posts with updates, so sorry for that. I just expected there to be more people posting here as the episodes have been out for almost 5 hours already. I get paid to write about the shows so that's why I keep watching them, by the way.

A "nice discussion" just sounds like you want to put blinders onto the flaws, though. It's a really messy season (so far). Ignore me if you like dude, but I'll definitely scale back and edit my posts from now on, didn't mean to bring you down, just giving my honest assessment.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Are the episodes too long or just slow.

I'm falling asleep from episode 1.

Not until the last 15 minutes

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for this!

Super excited after the reviews! And for my boy Danny!

Can this not be a thread about the pacing?At this point, nine seasons in, you should know what you're going inti. Pacing talk happens in every single one of these. Other reviews have said the show is fine. And honestly, it was fine in Jessica Jones S2, Punisher S1 too. Luke Cage season 2 seems to be a huge improvement with a very interesting ending. There's reason to be hyped about this one.

Pacing was only one of the myriad of problems with Luke Cage and the various other MCU shows. People are going to keep talking about these issues because they're never really fixed and they're more than glaring in a lot of cases.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Pacing was only one of the myriad of problems with Luke Cage and the various other MCU shows. People are going to keep talking about these issues because they're never really fixed and they're more than glaring in a lot of cases.
And it's fine calling out a show on its flaws, definitely. I'm just saying that when you come into a thread wanting to talk about what's happening with the plot and all you read is "the episodes are too damn long," and "boring the piss out of me," (from the same posters in every thread) then that's a really draining read. The posts of his that I didn't quote were fine and I appreciated those for spelling out his dislikes. But when someone who don't watch these shows because he wants to but rather because he gets paid and then posts "boring the piss out of me," and "episodes are too damn long" then what am I to do with that.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I can tell you that the finale is totally worth watching even if most of the rest of the season isn't.

Luke Cage the Kingpin is a genius idea and it would actually make for a helluva Defenders season 2 focus

Agreed. The ending worked in a long running issue I had with Netflix Marvel's version of Luke into the plot in a way I didn't expect at all.

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm on ep3 and so far it's just alright. I'm honestly a tad bored since it seems to be retreading some elements and just isn't grabbing me. Still hoping it picks up as I continue watching.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that yall keep coming back despite these so called flaws that never get addressed. There must be something about these shows that you like. Maybe talk about that a little bit more instead of regurgitating the same complaints over and over each time.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that yall keep coming back despite these so called flaws that never get addressed. There must be something about these shows that you like. Maybe talk about that a little bit more instead of regurgitating the same complaints over and over each time.
That this thread is still on page one kinda implies that most aren't, doesn't it?

These shows kept trying to dilute 3-4 episodes worth of genuine content and stretch it into 13.

Sounds like this is more of the same. I'm not gonna bother watching.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
That this thread is still on page one kinda implies that most aren't, doesn't it?

These shows kept trying to dilute 3-4 episodes worth of genuine content and stretch it into 13.

Sounds like this is more of the same. I'm not gonna bother watching.
It's been out a few hours. People who haven't seen it any of it yet wouldn't be commenting much.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about this season. Just started episode 2 and Luke Cage just dabbed. How can I take him seriously after this?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Most awkward moment of the series.
Jemele Hill and Michael Smith talking about The Six, LOL!

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about this season. Just started episode 2 and Luke Cage just dabbed. How can I take him seriously after this?

I mean, I thought Luke being sort of an out of touch cornball was part of his characterization. So that doesn't bother me much. Three episodes in, the runtime drags along, but the story and writing is much improved from the first season.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The dab doesn't bother me. He got what he deserved not long after that.

Just like in Iron Man 3, when you call people out, brace yourself.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
The actor who plays Piranha is amazing. I've never seen somebody be so good at being so unlikable. He's got a rubber face like Jerry Lewis.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
On episode 7. Good so far. But I have a feeling that this will be another case of too many episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Huh, this is actually available for offline download. Looks like all the other Netflix/Marvel seasons are available for download now too, which definitely wasn't the case as of JJS2.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched an episode and a half this morning before work. The first episode, the directing seemed really rough. It was like I was seeing the stage directions as the actors moved around in the shot, really clumsy. It got better in episode 2, though.

I like Colter as LC and I liked the first half of season 1, and I'm pretty confident that this season will at least be a good way to spend some time next week.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. Will post a full verdict tomorrow as I'm out drinking now.

Suffice to say it was a very mixed season. The script is the main issue. When it was bad it was REALLY bad but Woodard almost single-handedly propped up a lot of it.

Also there's an homage to one of the best films of all time late in the season and it's so shamelessly heavy-handed I actually burst out laughing.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Luke's dab is with the screwface was hilarious

Mike Colter really owns this role and that moment was perfectly in line with the proper cornball version of Luke Cage that he's been able to create

I really wish he could interact with the real MCU; he deserves to fight Iron Man, big brother Spider-Man and geek out & team up over Black Panther

I'm on Ep 4 and I'm not expecting Atlanta, Breaking Bad or The Wire level television. I just dig these relatively obscure comic characters like Misty Knight co-starring and so much real focused characterization. That shit is just really neat, to me

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I loved most of S1, but I can barely make it through episode 1. The writing and directing feels so sloppy. I hope it improves.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
That intro fight was better than any fight in season one, and felt heavy and physical. I like how it is already setting up Mariah and how she works, but also the rivaling players in Harlem and around it. It's one big chess board, dressed up with nice jazz music and a stunning yellow aurora. Mike as Luke is still somewhat wooden, and some of the dialogue early on was shaky, but I can look through that because this world that they're building is enticing and interesting, and the moving parts makes it intriguing. I love how they're dealing with Luke becoming so popular in the face of the public, much more than many other comic book shows does it, and they make it corny a few times with Luke's little scares and the bodyguard running away, and so on. They're also building up the relationship between him and Claire, and their little conversation outside the Harlem bar, and their interactions at home makes this feel genuine and real, so much that I don't even need to see Jessica and Luke together, because what they got here works. That Mariah has already worked out, that Claire is his weak spot is great progression, so that we don't have to dwell on it for too long. I like how they address Matt's sacrifice in Defenders and how Claire was bonding with Misty and how she sees her own sacrifice and how she's dealing with the aftermath. To me personally, this was a very solid start to the season, and I just love succumbing to this world and see how it'll all evolve from there.

Oct 31, 2017
I loved most of S1, but I can barely make it through episode 1. The writing and directing feels so sloppy. I hope it improves.

Every episode so far has had different writers and directors so you may notice a difference

He's basically Black Captain America in that way. I like that.

Hell yes, these guys nail "earnest". I would have loved Colter's Cage to meet Evans' Captain Rodgers too

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I watched an episode and a half this morning before work. The first episode, the directing seemed really rough. It was like I was seeing the stage directions as the actors moved around in the shot, really clumsy. It got better in episode 2, though.
I kind of felt like this too actually, in the Harlem jazz bar, and it felt like some of the actors were looking for the directions and such.

That explosion with him coming out of all the fire was cool as hell! And that entire Harlem app is hilarious, and then Luke proceeds with the dab and all, was funny. Yeah this is what gets me on board with him. He's just a man trying to clean up the streets, and the people and him are one and the same, I like this portrayal.

The little stuff that "bothers" (not really) me is how Misty put down her plastic bag, but then after the confrontation proceeds without picking it back up. Hell, I ain't throwing such money away for nothing lol.

Daaamn, Mustafa Shakir sold Bushmaster right there and then in that moment, that swerve capoeira style, the way he speaks, the confidence and hard rock attitude phew he got this! And Mariah letting out all that frustration on that poor glass haha.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This show still easily has the best supporting cast out of all the other Netflix shows

There's at least one joke about her arm in every episode so far. Best one is from the police shrink when they were having dinner.

Lol damn

The little stuff that bothers me is how Misty put down her plastic bag, but then after the confrontation proceeds without picking it back up. Hell, I ain't throwing such money away for nothing lol. Don't bother with me, just a little nitpick I picked up on

That pension must be real nice lmao

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Currently watching season 1 still (so I guess some mild spoilers from parts of this thread), but watching Cage S1, Daredevil S2, Jones S1 all recently I feel like these Netflix Marvel Hell's Kitchen series need to switch to an 8 episode season. Hell, have them write a 13 episode season then prune the actual content down a third.

They all seem to have issues with pacing and simply can't fill a season this long.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching season 1 still (so I guess some mild spoilers from parts of this thread), but watching Cage S1, Daredevil S2, Jones S1 all recently I feel like these Netflix Marvel Hell's Kitchen series need to switch to an 8 episode season. Hell, have them write a 13 episode season then prune the actual content down a third.

They all seem to have issues with pacing and simply can't fill a season this long.

8 episodes didn't work for Defenders, just saying

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm on episode 3 and Misty just said that she saw bodies with chalk outlines around them working homicide.

Not how it works.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone finish this season yet?

Can't wait to get off work. Watched the first half of the first episode before leaving.

Wonder how long Danny sticks around. Saw an article where the show runner wants fans to beg Netflix for a Heroes for Hire show next!