• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I know, ANOTHER thread about TLJ. Yes, calm down, I've been thinking about making this thread for some time and feel now is a good enough time. Also, I feel it belongs outside the OT because I want to focus the discussion exclusively on Luke Skywalker, not Canto Bight or Rose or Poe-Holdo or Rey or anything else, I just want to discuss Luke.

Now, with that out of the way, I (as I'm sure many others) can state that I was most excited to see TLJ because of one thing, LUKE FUCKING SKYWALKER. While I have my issues with TFA, I think JJ made the right call by keeping Luke out of the movie, the new cast needed time to shine in the spotlight and Han's relationship with Ren needed to be the central focus point regarding an OG character. So, with that movie out of the way, I was hyped beyond the moon at getting a look at an older, wiser, and more powerful Luke Skywalker. One whose been around the galaxy and back, whose faced insurmountable odds, whose tasted victory, and faced defeat. But, most importantly, one that would effectively pass the torch of the franchise on to the new characters.

LUKE SKYWALKER, THE HERO IN US ALL.

At this point, I feel I need to stop and backtrack a bit so we can understand how important Luke Skywalker is not just to me, but most fans and the Star Wars franchise in general. Luke in ANH is a fucking goofy nobody. He's a dirt farmer on a dirt planet that dreams of doing something important with his life. He plays with his model flight ship and bickers with his "parents" about the harvest. In ANH, Luke in every way represents us. Every kid who every dreamed of doing something with their life but felt trapped due to their circumstances whether it be familial commitments or other general responsibilities seemingly thrust on them. People often talk about how whiny Luke is in ANH, as if that's a bad thing, again he's supposed to be whiny because he is a kid. Luke is us. He's not the best at everything, in fact he's frequently made fun of and beat up. Yet, he believes in himself.

And, through seeming luck, this dork gets swept up on a grand adventure, discovers he might potentially have some hidden power, and helps save the galaxy from the clutches of the evil empire all the while making some cool friends along the way. Your classic Hero's Journey. Yet, as the series moves on Luke is confronted with some harsh inner truths. Yoda chides his childish recklessness and his inability to focus on the present instead of dreaming of the future (hmmm, the very thing that almost gets him captured at the end) when he expresses his desire to become a Jedi. By the end of Empire, he learns that things aren't as clear as they seem as the truth of Vader is revealed to him. And, he comes to understand that beating the Empire will no longer be the sweet victory he once believed. In other words, Luke grew up.

Finally, we get to ROTJ where Luke's mentors are all gone leaving him with the sole responsibility of The Last Jedi and tasked with defeating Vader. Yet, through it all, he stays true to his heart, resists The Dark Side, and saves his father. And, in dong so, the galaxy. His initial journey has reached its end and the whiny farmboy we were introduced to at the start has become a full Jedi Master with a future all his own to shape. He's become an adult.

ENTER THE LAST JEDI

Needless to say, I was disappointed with the Luke I got in TLJ. But, before you go typing up a response, understand that my disappointment is likely different than most everyone else and perhaps even yours. You see, I don't mind the majority of the creative direction Rian took with Luke Skywalker. In fact, I quite like the majority of them. I'm okay with Luke being a failed, miserable, recluse. I'm fine with him briefly contemplating killing his own nephew. And, I thought his final Force Projection movie was brilliant and EXACTLY the type of thing I wanted to see from an older Luke Skywalker. However, the problems for me come in two forms: A) The Execution and B) Luke's death.

I said before that I like TLJ, way more than TFA. But, for me the problem with Luke (and much of the movie) is that while I enjoy most of the concepts and themes, the execution is muddled. For example, the big first shock about Luke's character is that he's basically given up. He wants the Jedi to end and has completely cut himself off from The Force. This coming from the guy who saved the galaxy without resorting to killing his father, who never gave up. Conceptually it's quite interesting, but the actual execution in the movie basically resorts to Luke sitting in a cave and whining about how dumb the Jedi are until Yoda hits him on the head. Afterwards, he "gets up" at the very end and then dies...

You can't help but go, "that was it? What was the point of that?" It's not even Rey that really convinces Luke to do something, he has to have the ghost of an OG character show up to tell him he's an idiot. Hey Yoda, I've been sitting here alone for quite some time now, why didn't you tell me any of this shit before? Again, the execution is just muddled. We could've gotten more flashbacks to his academy to flesh out his feelings about the Jedi or he and Rey could have gone on some adventure on their own on the island that tied to Luke's desire to end the cycle of violence between the Sith and Jedi. After all, he specifically sought out the First Jedi Temple, surely there had to be something there he was interested in initially? Why not have him and Rey searching the Temple island chain for some truth or what have you?

Regardless, even worse than Luke sitting in a cave spouting nonsense is the fact that he doesn't actually train Rey. He gives her only one lesson that could be considered valuable and the rest are just garbage blabberings about the Jedi needing to end that the film specifically tells us should be rejected. Why are we forced to listen to him blather on about things we know the film doesn't want us to believe? This especially hurts Rey who arguably didn't learn a single thing from Luke. The most important character in Star Wars, a symbol of everything good and right, has basically nothing wise to say for the entire film. It's all cynical nonsense. It's one thing if his ideas were an interesting counter-point, that maybe sometimes it's better to do nothing than charge head first into a situation with a sword drawn. That perhaps not fighting is sometimes the best option. But again, the film does not reinforce any of Luke's ideas, we're specifically told they are mostly wrong. That heroes and legends are needed as are The Jedi, however imperfect they may be. So much for The Wise Luke Skywalker.

But, the REAL kicker, and why I made this thread about him deserving better, is Luke's death? WHY DID THAT NEED TO HAPPEN? What purpose did it serve? Remember, I'm not criticizing his final Force Projection move, that was brilliant. I'm talking specifically his death a second later. You see, I could almost accept everything done with his character in TLJ assuming we got "proper" wise Luke in the final movie. But, Rian just up and kills Luke without any real reason as to why. I find his death problematic for several reasons:

A) It deflates his final move. Luke's Force Projection is an amazing feat that has everyone clapping in the audience once it is revealed. Yet, in the two times I've seen the movie, everyone in the audience just feels confused and deflated when Luke just "disappears." The lingering question in the air is WHY? And, huh? First, the initial reveal tricks the audience into believing Luke is okay. Everyone was primed for an Obi-Wan moment when Ren ran at him. Yet, we were amazed to see him alright. At which point Luke tells Ben, "see you around, kid." The implication is clear, Luke just pulled the wool over the entire First Order, saved the day, and all without risking his life. And then he dies...

If the Force Projection was such a lethal move, then functionally what difference is there between Luke showing up in person and Luke projecting himself? The risk is the same, and the fact that everyone believed that Luke could stand up to TFO alone means that he likely could have done all that physically. So, why not just have him physically there to fight Ben and then die Obi-Wan style? What purpose is there to the Force Projection if he dies any way. It turns what is an amazing feat and cool trick into something confusing and pointless.

B) HAN SOLO GOT THE BETTER DEATH. And, this is the one that really gets me. Remember, Luke Skywalker was the hero for an entire generation of people. He was us. Han Solo, as cool as he can be, is NOT Luke Skywalker. He is not us. He's a male fantasy. There is a reason the smooth charming, womanizing, rogue isn't the main character of the OT meanwhile the whiny, farm hick is. Yet, Han Solo was given the best exit between the two characters. He got to take on the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi, he met the whole new cast, went on a whole adventure with them, got to mentor them and give them valuable life advice, and then died sacrificing himself to try and save the galaxy and his family. It's the perfect send off to an OG character.

And then comes Luke in TLJ, the most beloved character. He sits on an island the whole movie, only interacts with Rey, and then dies at the end after briefly saying hello to Leia and Threepio. WHAT?! Luke doesn't get to meet Finn, doesn't get to berate Poe, barely has a conversation with Chewie, doesn't get to have some weird droid humor with BB-8, nothing. He just gets to die, alone. And, that's the key part I want to harp on. Luke Skywalker died alone. He didn't even get to die with his apprentice by his side or within view of his friends, he died completely alone. That's just wrong. As it stands, Han Solo had a greater impact on the lives of this new set of characters than Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi.

Now, I know what some will say. Hey man, we'll likely get more Luke in Episode IX, we'll likely get to see him mentor Rey in that. But, you people are missing the reality. Luke Skywalker is dead, whatever form he may exist in the next episode doesn't change this fact. His days of adventuring are over, he's not going to be sitting around the whole movie in the presence of the new cast giving advice and cracking jokes. He's dead. And, somehow I doubt he'll be showing up as a Force Ghost to non-Jedi characters. I could be wrong, in fact I hope I am, but I doubt it.

As it stands, Luke Skywalker was killed off without any real reason having interacted with less than a quarter of the new characters. His last send off wasn't the graceful passing of the torch to the new generation but a begrudging exit. Which is why I say that, Luke Skywalker deserved better.

Thoughts?

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Though I agree with everything said. The apologists or defence force as I call them, won't be that kind to you.

Rogue one is still the better movie out of TFA and that cute Disney movie TLJ.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
1) It's full circle for Luke. Luke in TLJ is old Yoda in OT.
2) Luke didn't "die" from exhaustion. Luke made peace with himself, and the force, and became one with it. He'll be back all force ghosty.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone who hasn't seen the film (like myself) hasn't figured it out that he dies, that title surely helps them put two and two together. :-/
Putting (spoilers) next to it doesn't help at all.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He died what he never thought he could leave up to, a legend. No one saw him die, tons of people saw him singlehandedly stand up to the might of the first order, embarrassed Kylo Ren and then vanished.

He died peacefully a legend.

Han got a "bad ass" death I guess but he died a failure. Failed his family and went out failing to bring his son back.

Luke brought hope to the universe, a hope that can never die as he lives on as a legend.

Though I agree with everything said. The apologists won't be that kind to you.
Ahh insulting people before anything is even said. Lovely.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, Luke was a little ass bitch who blew up the Death Star bc the ghost of someone he kinda knew told him to use the force

Now, TLJ is the only movie in which I fucks with Luke

He doesn't fuck with anybody cause he fucked up, when he's told it's okay to fuck up he realizes how much of a prick he's been, comes back as a shadow clone, has a bomb ass story told across the galaxy, and dies knowing he did something right and that the Jedi are in good shape

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the fact that they didn't align him with fan expectations. It made the movie better and the negative reactions are hilarious.

Plus he pulled off the most badass shit at the end.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He died what he never thought he could leave up to, a legend. No one saw him die, tons of people saw him singlehandedly stand up to the might of the first order, embarrassed Kylo Ren and then vanished.

Han got a "bad ass" death I guess but he died a failure. Failed his family and went out failing to bring his son back.

Luke brought hope to the universe, a hope that can never die as he lives on as a legend.

Han's death wasn't bad ass, it was emotional and had weight. I also don't see it as a failure, unless we believe Obi-Wan's death was a failure in ANH. He went out trying to save his son's soul. And, in doing so invigorated the soul of someone else, Rey.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017

Ahh insulting people before anything is even said. Lovely.

I did not insult anyone, lighten up a little.

Oct 26, 2017
If he had gone there in person and would have been killed, Kylo would parade his body for everyone to see and the resistance would be destroyed. As it is, Kylo isn't even certain that Luke is gone for good, and some survivors are apparently spreading the legend of Luke already (since the kids on Canto Bight, some time later, reenact the scene), which reignites the resistance.

Weapxn

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
New York, NY
I truly love how upset people are over this movie. It was fucking great – it just wasn't the fan fiction that each person had individually thought up beforehand.

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta admit, I disagree that Luke could have tanked 30 seconds of AT-AT shots without difficulty, meaning he could not have done the same thing by showing up.

Given how he went out by showing off the force in the most impressive way the movies has shown us yet, I have to disagree with your assessment.
Though I agree with everything said. The apologists won't be that kind to you.
Way to start the thread. -_-

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, Its what I have been saying over and over in TLJ thread.

They really did Luke dirty. Man it just makes me boil.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is getting tired. I don't see why this couldn't go in TLJ thread.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with everything there (for example, I think TFA is much better than TLJ), but I do agree that Luke's death felt very unsatisfying and pointless. Very much a "that's it?" moment, like he was just thrown out with the trash that Rian evidently considers most of the Star Wars legacy to be. It didn't feel quite respectful to me. Like you, I would have been fine with how he acted in the movie (except for certain things like the dumb way he throws the lightsaber away) if he had still been there to get a more meaningful end in IX. Now he's just gone, along with his legacy. But maybe he'll get to do some force ghost stuff, who knows.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Luke has literally never been cooler than he was by the end of Last Jedi. He's never been more interesting than he was in this movie. It's because of his stance that the heroes have any chance of surviving, all by tugging at Kylo's strings.

The Luke/Rey/Kylo plot is some of the best stuff the franchise has ever had.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with Luke as presented in TLJ except for how little of him there was.

He's got 2/3s of an arc (the bitter, disillusioned old Jedi and the triumphant hero who sacrifices himself so the Resistance can live on), but really needed that middle third where he's on one last adventure. Obi-wan got one last adventure (even if he comes off as a doddering old loon during most of it).

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
If the Force Projection was such a lethal move, then functionally what difference is there between Luke showing up in person and Luke projecting himself? The risk is the same, and the fact that everyone believed that Luke could stand up to TFO alone means that he likely could have done all that physically. So, why not just have him physically there to fight Ben and then die Obi-Wan style? What purpose is there to the Force Projection if he dies any way. It turns what is an amazing feat and cool trick into something confusing and pointless.

A) He could not go there, he did not have a ship
But of course that could easily have been changed, the real reason is
B) That he would get an awesome invincible moment surviving the AT-AT blasts so kids all around the galaxy would be inspired by it, to spark he flame that burns down the First Order.

Luke was what I looked forward the most to in the Sequel Trilogy and I loved every single moment with him in TLJ, especially the end.
And he will be back to mess with Kylo, no doubt, he will be the most powerful Force Ghost ever, you'll see.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Han's death wasn't bad ass, it was emotional and had weight. I also don't see it as a failure, unless we believe Obi-Wan's death was a failure in ANH. He went out trying to save his son's soul. And, in doing so invigorated the soul of someone else, Rey.
But he died fail. He failed his wife by not bringing their son back. He failed his son by not being able to save him. He failed the galaxy in that moment too. I mean sure he "invigorated" Rey's soul but that was a minor benefit.

Obi-Wans death was more inline with Lukes death than Hans. Obi-Wan chose to die in that moment. He knew his death would push Luke in the direction he needed to go. Han didn't choose to die there.

Luke made peace with himself and became one with the force, just like Obi-wan.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't I'd suggest to listen toRian's justification for his handling of Luke (skip to about 5:58 in).

For instance, the idea of him projecting himself there was to be mythic - more than the man he actually is. He notably talks about wanting Luke's death to be a contrast to Han's, that he dies on his own terms, peacefully, victorious, and inspiring generations to come.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I agree completely. The way Luke was handled in TLJ actually hurt the the original trilogy for me.

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I truly love how upset people are over this movie. It was fucking great – it just wasn't the fan fiction that each person had individually thought up beforehand.

I know, we see this in every thread. But let us have this.

I don't necessarily mind what was done, but how OP explained, it was the execution.

Luke challenged the Jedi way and was successful. Look at him in ROTJ! All black, all that anger! But he was able to come to terms with how he felt. He opposed what Yoda and Obi-Wan told him. Yet, in the ST we don't have ANYTHING about how Luke would have brought up a new generation of Jedi that embraces their emotions? That should have been the Luke/Kylo dynamic, instead we just get a force vision, like Anakin had about his mom. This shows Luke didn't learn anything (except of course he did, he redeemed Vader).

Anyway, I didn't mind it so much. It was just way too "simple" and not nuanced in the context of the OT and PT (for the audience, I'm sure). So, the death is a little pathetic.

Oct 25, 2017
Recognizing the disappointment I grew up to be made me relate super hard to Luke, and I'm only 25.

I'd love to fuck off to an island away from everyone I know. I would just feel bad because my family loves me. Shoutout to Luke to overcoming that though.

Reading the OP just makes me go "You'll understand when you're older.", but I doubt you're that young. So ... * shrug * I don't know what to tell you.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd honestly rather they hadn't brought back han, Luke, and Leia. Overall Im not fond of how they've been handled in this new trilogy

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Really wanted him to do that at the end with all the lasers heading towards him and stop them mid-flight. Wish he had a longer saber fight too. If you want to write him off, thats fine, but give us a bit more to chew on. Luke freaking Sky Walker. Isn't he suppose to be the embodiment of the force at this point?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Though I agree with everything said. The apologists or defence force as I call them, won't be that kind to you.

Now now. You're clearly baiting, don't do that, okay.

Plus he pulled off the most badass shit at the end.

Given how he went out by showing off the force in the most impressive way the movies has shown us yet, I have to disagree with your assessment.
Same. I loved grumpy Luke, and his final moment was the most epic thing ever.

Plus he has great lines full of snark. And I love snark. C'mon, gotta love this shit:

"You think I'm gonna walk out with a laser sword and take down the whole First Order?" (sums up quite a few fans I think xD)
"Amazing. Every word in that sentence is wrong."

<3

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If he had gone there in person and would have been killed, Kylo would parade his body for everyone to see and the resistance would be destroyed. As it is, Kylo isn't even certain that Luke is gone for good, and some survivors are apparently spreading the legend of Luke already (since the kids on Canto Bight, some time later, reenact the scene), which reignites the resistance.
Exactly. Showing up in person had the major risk of being killed in plain sight. So the last spark of the resistance watches their most powerful hero either get slain by Kylo or blown up by a bunch of laser fire.
Going the way he did took all that risk away.

B) That he would get an awesome invincible moment surviving the AT-AT blasts so kids all around the galaxy would be inspired by it, to spark he flame that burns down the First Order.

Luke was what I looked forward the most to in the Sequel Trilogy and I loved every single moment with him in TLJ, especially the end.
And he will be back to mess with Kylo, no doubt, he will be the most powerful Force Ghost ever, you'll see.
This 100%

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Luke utterly clowned the main villain of the trilogy and singlehandedly saved the Resistance from complete eradication and the galaxy from total domination. That's apparently not good enough for people.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke will return with Anakin as force ghosts that will just shit on Kylo Ren through out episode 9. They'll be like the old men from The Muppet Show

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Really wanted him to do that at the end with all the lasers heading towards him and stop them mid-flight. Wish he had a longer saber fight too. If you want to write him off, thats fine, but give us a bit more to chew on. Luke freaking sky walker.
See

This is the shit I talked about in the OTs

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke was more of a hero in TLJ than ever was in the OT.

He faced the First Order and they couldn't touch him. He was basically space Jesus in that moment and inspired an entire Galaxy.

The legend of Luke Skywalker grew.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I found it interesting how Rey had a strong connection with Han.

It was super apparent going back to watch TFA before TLJ. Han's death is hard and Daisy had a lot of emotion.

It was very touching to still see her still be broken up by it when she talked to Kylo. And Kylo smartly addressed the parallel of how his father was more present for Rey than him. "He would have let you down anyway"

I think thats a really powerful sub plot that is very subtle. Great writing and direction between the two films to create something like that.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
This should've gone in the TLJ thread.

And I actually think Han got the worse death.

Shaki123

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Tallon IV
This thread title needs to change ASAP. It was already spoiled for me, but if it wasn't this title would do the trick.

On Topic: The dude had at least a few more movies in him. I don't care about "ghosts".

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"You think I'm gonna walk out with a laser sword and take down the whole First Order?" (sums up quite a few fans I think xD)
<3
The best part of that line is, him projecting himself made it seem possible for him to do so. It strengthened the myth of Luke Skywalker. Having the universe think there is a guy like that around on the good side would spark tons of people to join up for the cause.

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
1) It's full circle for Luke. Luke in TLJ is old Yoda in OT.
2) Luke didn't "die" from exhaustion. Luke made peace with himself, and the force, and became one with it. He'll be back all force ghosty.

If 2 is what they intended that is even worse, Obi did it surrounded by Storm Troopers going head to head with the baddest dude on the planet. He did it because he knew he was in an unsurvivable situation. He did the only thing he could do and still help the cause. Luke on the other hand is alone on a rock and has ever option available to him but instead he says fuck it and basically offs himself, how is that better?

Oct 27, 2017
Dude came full circle.

Went from hero, to dying/forgotten legend, to legend reborn.

I liked his story arc. He redeemed himself and found inner peace. Exactly like his father.

Yoda using some force lighting as a force ghost is anything to speculate about, Luke is going to be a boss force ghost.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Luke was more of a hero in TLJ than ever was in the OT.

He faced the First Order and they couldn't touch him. He was basically space Jesus in that moment and inspired an entire Galaxy.

The legend of Luke Skywalker grew.
I mean he could have done all of this stuff years ago and is arguably a major reason why the galaxy ended up the way it did.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people responding didn't read the OP, especially people saying I disliked the film. You clearly didn't read.

A) Luke did have a ship. He had his X-Wing which was deliberately shown to fake us out when he appeared to show up on Crait.

B) The fact that Kylo and the entire First Order believed that Luke could survive those AT-AT shots means that they thought it was possible. Shit, we all in the audience thought it was possible too. What's so far fetched in believing that Luke could use the Force such that all those shots missed him? The scene is premised on the idea that it's possible for him to do those things physically. Thus, him not being there is an extra feat. Him dying reduces that feat as he could've done the same thing in person and died Obi-Wan style, ie disappearing in the Force when Kylo went to cut him.

The Last Jedi was a trash movie, but fuck it, can't do much about it now.

No it wasn't. I'll take it any day over TFA.