• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
KZzr7r.gif
Lmao

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put too much stock in Hamill's retraction. You can't have the actor who played Luke Skywalker openly discussing how unhappy he is with how Luke Skywalker is portrayed in your newest movie. There's no way Hamill wasn't pulled to the side by people who worked on the movie and politely asked to take back what he said.

I just hope Lucasfilm learned from this. Abrams should have written and directed all three movies. Rian Johnson basically just showed up, replaced the Luke Skywalker we've all known for thirty years with his own version, then rode off into the sunset after he killed the guy off. Even if Luke Skywalker was meant to die in Episode 8 regardless, at least we might have gotten more than just a cool send off if there had been more consistency between the movies.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just hope Lucasfilm learned from this. Abrams should have written and directed all three movies. Rian Johnson basically just showed up, replaced the Luke Skywalker we've all known for thirty years with his own version, then rode off into the sunset after he killed the guy off. Even if Luke Skywalker was meant to die in Episode 8 regardless, at least we might have gotten more than just a cool send off if there had been more consistency between the movies.
Ride into the sunset as in got full control over the next massive SW trilogy project.

Wake up, it has been 30 years, people change, the world changes, Luke has been affected by what happened in the meantime.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't put too much stock in Hamill's retraction. You can't have the actor who played Luke Skywalker openly discussing how unhappy he is with how Luke Skywalker is portrayed in your newest movie. There's no way Hamill wasn't pulled to the side by people who worked on the movie and politely asked to take back what he said.

He never said he's unhappy with Luke, he just said he didn't expect where it went on a very specific point that he spells out. He hasn't said anything negative about it since then, quite the opposite, actually.

All this "not my luke" bullshit is soooo childish, SMH.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He never said he's unhappy with Luke, he just said he didn't expect where it went on a very specific point that he spells out. He hasn't said anything negative about it since then, quite the opposite, actually.

Come on, whether you agree with Hamill's opinion on the character it's clear he wasn't keen on the direction they took Luke. He just didn't like people twisting his words into thinking he hates the movie and/or using it to justify their own opinions about Luke and the film. I don't really care too much what Mark thinks should have happened with Luke, after all his ideas for Luke pre-ROTJ were pretty out there, all I can do is talk about my reactions to the treatment of the character.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Except this wasn't a case of Hamill saying one damaging thing initially and then retracting it later. His initial statement was a positive, if candid one, along the lines of "I was initially worried and couldn't wrap my head around the character. It didn't seem like Luke but then Rian sat me down and really hashed it out with me and I eventually saw exactly what he was saying and it all made sense. But I did have my initial worries." The later retraction was a "this comment has caused so much distress, confusion and misinformation that I wish I'd never said it."

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Come on, whether you agree with Hamill's opinion on the character it's clear he wasn't keen on the direction they took Luke. He just didn't like people twisting his words into thinking he hates the movie and/or using it to justify their own opinions about Luke and the film. I don't really care too much what Mark thinks should have happened with Luke, after all his ideas for Luke pre-ROTJ were pretty out there, all I can do is talk about my reactions to the treatment of the character.

He disagreed with withdrawn reclusive Luke. That's *all* he ever said. This is also the man who wanted Leia and Han to be murdered by Darkside ROTJ Luke - So I really don't know where people get off by "lol Hamill h8s TLJ!!!11"

Still, none of that means "unhappy", or offended, or anyhting. Just that he didn't think that particular thing fit.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
On another note, I just want to reiterate this point one last time because I'm tired of seeing it pop up. People keep saying that if Luke showed up physically he would've been destroyed by those AT-ATs. I really don't get where people are getting this idea or able to state this with any certainty. First, if there is one thing clear about Star Wars is that there is no limit to what the Force can do. So, being able to dodge a billion bolts of AT-AT fire is not in the realm of impossibility neither is crashing a Star Destroyer using only the Force. There is no limit.

Second, the entire premise of Luke's final act is based on the idea that everyone believes it's possible, both on an in-universe and meta level. Kylo Ren, whose trained in The Force from some of the most powerful Force users in the galaxy and whose aware of the concept of Force Projection, is completely fooled into believing Luke is real. He watches as Luke survives an entire onslaught of AT-AT fire and his thought isn't, "oh, of course he's just projecting like Snoke." No, he actually believes what Luke did is possible within the realm of The Force and is thus required to confront him head on. However, most importantly, YOU believe it is possible. Yes, you sitting in the audience. When Luke shows up and brushes off The First Order's attack you aren't going, "ah, of course he's just projecting himself." Rather, you are entirely convinced it was possible for him to do that. Thus, had the final Force Projection reveal not happened you would have entirely believed that Luke was capable of surviving such an attack.

So, with all that said, people need to stop acting like Luke showing up physically would have resulted in his death and using that as a justification for the necessity of his Force Projection. You can argue the thematic difference between the two, but you can't sit there and state with any definite certainty that Luke would have been blown to bits had he decided to show up physically.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Internet: "Mark Hamill said he hated the movie"

Literally Mark Hamill: "I didn't hate the movie"

Internet: "Psh, I wouldn't put much stock in that"

What is even going on any more?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, I just want to reiterate this point one last time because I'm tired of seeing it pop up. People keep saying that if Luke showed up physically he would've been destroyed by those AT-ATs. I really don't get where people are getting this idea or able to state this with any certainty. First, if there is one thing clear about Star Wars is that there is no limit to what the Force can do. So, being able to dodge a billion bolts of AT-AT fire is not in the realm of impossibility neither is crashing a Star Destroyer using only the Force. There is no limit.

Second, the entire premise of Luke's final act is based on the idea that everyone believes it's possible, both on an in-universe and meta level. Kylo Ren, whose trained in The Force from some of the most powerful Force users in the galaxy and whose aware of the concept of Force Projection, is completely fooled into believing Luke is real. He watches as Luke survives an entire onslaught of AT-AT fire and his thought isn't, "oh, of course he's just projecting like Snoke." No, he actually believes what Luke did is possible within the realm of The Force and is thus required to confront him head on. However, most importantly, YOU believe it is possible. Yes, you sitting in the audience. When Luke shows up and brushes off The First Order's attack you aren't going, "ah, of course he's just projecting himself." Rather, you are entirely convinced it was possible for him to do that. Thus, had the final Force Projection reveal not happened you would have entirely believed that Luke was capable of surviving such an attack.

So, with all that said, people need to stop acting like Luke showing up physically would have resulted in his death and using that as a justification for the necessity of his Force Projection. You can argue the thematic difference between the two, but you can't sit there and state with any definite certainty that Luke would have been blown to bits had he decided to show up physically.

Could you imagine how insane that would have been?

When The Force Awakens came out, people were super impressed how Ben was able to stop a blaster bolt midair. Jaws would have literally collapsed if Luke casually did the same thing on an entirely different scale.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tone in which Hamill essentially beamed about how he fundamentally disagreed with Rian's portrayal in official publicity reveals that he thought his instincts were, in retrospect, wrong. He was telling the story in a self-deprecating manner.

He wasn't rebuking the filmmaker, he was praising the filmmaker for doing something more interesting than his initial assumption about the character.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
After watching Luke brush off his shoulder, my initial thoughts (aside from "What a badass!") were a suspicion that he had allowed the FO to kill him, and had vanished into the Force. I thought it was like a larger scale version of what Luke had watched Obi wan do in ANH. Then I noticed that he wasn't leaving footprints and thought that confirmed my suspicions.

I never once thought it was even within the realms of possibility that one Jedi, no matter how powerful they are with the Force, could withstand that barrage and walk out unscathed.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The tone in which Hamill essentially beamed about how he fundamentally disagreed with Rian's portrayal in official publicity reveals that he thought his instincts were, in retrospect, wrong. He was telling the story in a self-deprecating manner.

He wasn't rebuking the filmmaker, he was praising the filmmaker for doing something more interesting than his initial assumption about the character.

See this? This is how people who have interactions with human beings think.

Thanks for that take, Boco.

Oct 28, 2017

How would Luke show up physically? His X-Wing has been in the bottom of the ocean for many years. It is highly unlikely it is even functional seeing how machine parts and electrical circuits degrade under water all that time. He also used part of the X-Wing as the door for this hutt. This isn't an ESB situation where the X-Wing got completely submerged in a swamp for a few min until Yoda pulled it out. There's no way that thing is still operable. If Luke wanted an out on that island he would have parked the X-Wing on land like Rey was able to with the Falcon, not put it in the water.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
After watching Luke brush off his shoulder, my initial thoughts (aside from "What a badass!") were a suspicion that he had allowed the FO to kill him, and had vanished into the Force. I thought it was like a larger scale version of what Luke had watched Obi wan do in ANH. Then I noticed that he wasn't leaving footprints and thought that confirmed my suspicions.

I never once thought it was even within the realms of possibility that one Jedi, no matter how powerful they are with the Force, could withstand that barrage and walk out unscathed.

I think I was too out of my mind with hype in the moment, but once the reveal that it was all a sneaky Jedi Master trick came my first thought was, yes. That's what I wanted to see in Luke Skywalker's last stand. Not a show of strength, of him slaughtering a bunch of guys like an anime hero, but some proper Jedi-ass Jedi-ing. Saving the day, restoring hope to the galaxy, putting the fear of God into the First Order, dunking on Kylo, and all of it without raising a hand in violence. I just adore what Rian Johnson did with Luke in this movie.

When Yoda and Obi Wan talk about the Force being powerful, I never took it to mean you become like Neo in the Matrix or whatever. You become a pretty capable warrior, and it opens your mind to a heightened awareness of past, present and future, and when you die you become part of the force that binds all things, but you can't casually walk out and crush Star Destroyers like tin cans while carrying on a pleasant conversation. I know, "No different. Only different in your mind", but, still, Jedi aren't like planet-cracking DBZ characters. Maybe Luke could have thrown an AT-AT if he'd been given time to gather his concentration, but people talk like they want him to be tanking all that laser fire with his flesh and blood body and throwing all the walkers around at once.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I get it OP - I do - but Luke's fate was sealed externally IMO in that real world dictates constrained the options.

One: they decided to push him out of TFA (when initially he would be introduced there) and focused on Han as core individual from the OT trilogy of Lule/Leia/Han giving him the key role in hooking up new characters to the old. They also couldn't figure out how to not have become the hero : this last point is crucial; they decided Luke was not to be the main hero and he was not to solve anything that was down to the new cast

Two: thus in TLJ the film had to include Luke this time around while still making sure he doesn't Deus Ex machina everything as an OP hero. So of course they had to take the route he was washed up and defeated. They also had to find a way to handle him having active role while not having decisive impact on the conflict

Three: like Han - Luke had to go to remove him from overpowering events and "leading" new cast at some point and given Han went in TFA and his death was worked into character arcs for new cast removing him after one entry in TLJ in a similar manner made sense.

Thus we get Lule as hermit, taking an active (but not decisive) role in end and then promptly removed from the playing field to clear way for Rey, Finn, Poe, etc.

In short he had to die in TLJ given external dictates and his overall arc was truncated because they dumped him from TFA (ironically many of the complaints I see against Johnson are situations and constraints forced on him from TFA) leaving only one film to explore his character and get rid of him.

Side note: Leia was clearly only OT main character intended to run through all three films in this trilogy - something possible as her character was always supportive but rarely definitive in major resolutions. Han is too much of an overlap for Poe/Finn and Luke too much an overlap for Rey.

It's important to step back and realise they're ultimately fictional characters to be manipulated to the needs of the themes/narratives as well as commercial/franchise considerations.

Lule as a character was a victim of too much time passing in real world between the trilogies and the goal to ensure the future of franchise beyond reasonable timeframes to include and OT cast combined with challenge of how to include him without him automatically becoming the focus and key hero.

I felt this did mean Lule didn't quite get the inclusion or impact I'd have liked respective to where he finishes OT: but like Mark himself I don't see - given the constraints - how they could have did better than they did in TLJ. He got good mileage as washed up hermit, strong redemption, nice little scene with Yoda and a sense of peaceful completion to go out on tjatvwas about him (Han'd death actually being about Kylo Ren's arc).

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
...some proper Jedi-ass Jedi-ing. Saving the day, restoring hope to the galaxy, putting the fear of God into the First Order, dunking on Kylo, and all of it without raising a hand in violence. I just adore what Rian Johnson did with Luke in this movie.

Exactly.

I understand that people are struggling with the idea of Luke making the mistakes that he makes, which lead to the guy hiding away on the island at the beginning of the movie. For me, one of the ways to create a dramatically complete character arc is to start with the hero at rock-bottom, their lowest low, almost the point of no return. Then later on when they sort themselves out (as Luke does in TLJ), face the demons that were haunting them, overcome their weaknesses and redeem themselves by doing some good... Well then the pay-off is that much more satisfying and emotionally fulfilling.

That was Luke Skywalker's arc in TLJ.

It was difficult at times. Uncomfortable even. Hard to watch and come to terms with. But in the end, he gathered himself for one last effort and rose above it all in one of the most monumental achievements we've ever witnessed from one man in the entire Star Wars saga. He went out like a true hero, in more ways than one.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Internet: "Mark Hamill said he hated the movie"

Literally Mark Hamill: "I didn't hate the movie"

Internet: "Psh, I wouldn't put much stock in that"

What is even going on any more?

People who say Hamill hated the movie are wrong. However, Hamill made statements in interviews and junkets that are absolutely out of the ordinary for someone involved in a movie. No actor ever prefaces interviews with "this isn't what I would have done with the character". No actor opens his ComicCon segments with "I kept bring up different ideas for Luke than what was in the script, until the director refused to listen to me". Before TLJ's release Hamill's behaviour has been not what you would expect from a lead actor promoting a movie.

And there's no conspiracy to unveil here: it's very understandable. Firstly, Hamill is incredibly passionate about the character. We fans have our own expectations, and Hamill is probably Luke's biggest fan. Creating a script that completely satisfied him would have been impossible. Someone who cared less would have put up a pretty face and said "this is so, so, so amazing, the best thing ever". Hamill is honest and candid, and he said "I have this and this perplexity, and overall this isn't what I would have envisioned for Luke". Which is the kind of thing many actors think about their roles, but don't say in public because... well you see what's happening.
The second thing is that Hamill discussed Luke with fans daily for 30 years. He knew EXACTLY what people expected/wanted and how TLJ would surprise and possibly disappoint many of them. He has an obligation to Lucasfilm but he's also got an exabilished, direct relationship with fans, and I'm sure he made those statements because going into the movie saying "This is the best Luke ever, you're all gonna love it, everyone will be happy about this" would have broken the bond of trust with the fans he listens to (and maybe disagrees with).

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
How would Luke show up physically? His X-Wing has been in the bottom of the ocean for many years. It is highly unlikely it is even functional seeing how machine parts and electrical circuits degrade under water all that time. He also used part of the X-Wing as the door for this hutt. This isn't an ESB situation where the X-Wing got completely submerged in a swamp for a few min until Yoda pulled it out. There's no way that thing is still operable. If Luke wanted an out on that island he would have parked the X-Wing on land like Rey was able to with the Falcon, not put it in the water.

You seem to not understand the point of the X-Wing reveal, it was a deliberate fake out. We as the audience know an X-Wing is fully capable of being submerged in water and still function at 100%. The shot initially explains how Luke got on the island and how he could leave. So, when he shows up at the end the audience isn't immediately questioning how he got there. They immediately think back to the X-Wing, it's only after the end reveal do we see all the little clues that should have told us he's not real such as the footprints.

Basically, you're trying to discredit the idea of Luke physically showing up at the end after you already have full knowledge of the reveal. That's not how that works.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People who say Hamill hated the movie are wrong. However, Hamill made statements in interviews and junkets that are absolutely out of the ordinary for someone involved in a movie. No actor ever prefaces interviews with "this isn't what I would have done with the character". No actor opens his ComicCon segments with "I kept bring up different ideas for Luke than what was in the script, until the director refused to listen to me". Before TLJ's release Hamill's behaviour has been not what you would expect from a lead actor promoting a movie.

And there's no conspiracy to unveil here: it's very understandable. Firstly, Hamill is incredibly passionate about the character. We fans have our own expectations, and Hamill is probably Luke's biggest fan. Creating a script that completely satisfied him would have been impossible. Someone who cared less would have put up a pretty face and said "this is so, so, so amazing, the best thing ever". Hamill is honest and candid, and he said "I have this and this perplexity, and overall this isn't what I would have envisioned for Luke". Which is the kind of thing many actors think about their roles, but don't say in public because... well you see what's happening.
The second thing is that Hamill discussed Luke with fans daily for 30 years. He knew EXACTLY what people expected/wanted and how TLJ would surprise and possibly disappoint many of them. He has an obligation to Lucasfilm but he's also got an exabilished, direct relationship with fans, and I'm sure he made those statements because going into the movie saying "This is the best Luke ever, you're all gonna love it, everyone will be happy about this" would have broken the bond of trust with the fans he listens to (and maybe disagrees with).

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to not understand the point of the X-Wing reveal, it was a deliberate fake out. We as the audience know an X-Wing is fully capable of being submerged in water and still function at 100%. The shot initially explains how Luke got on the island and how he could leave. So, when he shows up at the end the audience isn't immediately questioning how he got there. They immediately think back to the X-Wing, it's only after the end reveal do we see all the little clues that should have told us he's not real such as the footprints.

Basically, you're trying to discredit the idea of Luke physically showing up at the end after you already have full knowledge of the reveal. That's not how that works.

I'm pretty sure that shot shows how Luke got to the island, but also that he's not going anywhere considering you know, his X-Wing is submerged under water. And you forgot to reference his point that part of the X-Wing's hull was used as Luke's hut door.

So yeah, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd also like to point out that there's a strong number of people who criticize Luke's arc and have positively zero problems with him being flawed or making mistakes.

For example, things I'm fine with:

- Luke choosing exile as a consequence of failing to teach Ben (but see below for a caveat)
- Luke pondering ending Ben's life
- Luke's position on jedis

Things I'm not fine with:

- Luke's airplane mode and him abandoning Leia to Snoke and Ben
- the astral projection stunt and the general anime feel of the ending
- the fact that Luke, THIS Luke, will go underused because they rushed to kill him off

I think killing off Luke particularly sting because of the situation at the end of VIII. I mean, you lost one of the great icons of the saga, but that's good because you can't have him overshadow the true protagonists of the story, right? Ok yeah, but... are they interesting/in an interesting spot?

I like Rey well enough, but as we've resolved the mystery of her past, and as she's also resolved her conflict about Ben, we're left with an extremely powerful and extremely righteous heroine whose only foreseable arc in IX is "point her in the FO's general direction, pull the trigger and enjoy the destruction". Again, I like that and I like her, but having Luke around to interact with her would have made her more interesting.

I love Finn, but TLJ was a giant rethread of his TFA arc. In one movie he goes from wanting to escape to wanting to help her friend. In the second movie he goes from wanting to escape (with her friend) to wanting to help the Resistance. In the next one he'll go from wanting to escape with the Resistance to wanting to help the Galaxy? The main problem of the ST (compared to the OT) is that since the heroes are always separated they end up needing to split screentime, and Rey is the only one who's allowed to do something actually meaningful as a result. Han's arc was something that happened alongside him interacting with the rest of the main characters; Poe and Finn are fundamentally sidelined and forced into plotlines whose only payoff is "and that's how they learned a lesson about themselves and their role in the galaxy". Han did that while doing a lot of interesting stuff.

After two movies where he's constantly the most interesting character, Ben's arc is fundamentally resolved. He's evil, fully evil now. He's in a good spot, if we were 45 minutes from the end of Ep. IX. Again, unless they set him back in IX he's not gonna be terribly interesting to watch, expecially now that any interaction with Leia is out of the way.

RJ and Kennedy may have made a point of not making Luke steal the new character's thunder, but he's still so central to VIII's story that in order to make the movie pivot on his arc he sucked the wind out of everyone else's sails.
RJ made a movie that was about Luke in order to kill Luke, and now we have a middle character that does very little to progress the story of the main heroes (see Poe or Finn - heck Poe meets Rey at the end of the movie for the first time) or fast forwards them at hyperspeed (see Rey). Luke absolutely stole the scene in TLJ, and he also stole the screentime and momentum from the main cast. A lot of people who were advocating for Luke to take a role similar to that of Obi Wan in IV also did so because Obi Wan didn't diminish Luke's arc but complimented. In TLJ Luke's presence puts half of the rest of the cast to the side.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that shot shows how Luke got to the island, but also that he's not going anywhere considering you know, his X-Wing is submerged under water. And you forgot to reference his point that part of the X-Wing's hull was used as Luke's hut door.

So yeah, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Dear goodness, why are we going over this again? Let me ask you a simple question, when you watched the movie the first time did you believe that Luke was there physically before the reveal?

If so, then this argument is over.

I'd also like to point out that there's a strong number of people who criticize Luke's arc and have positively zero problems with him being flawed or making mistakes.

For example, things I'm fine with:

- Luke choosing exile as a consequence of failing to teach Ben (but see below for a caveat)
- Luke pondering ending Ben's life
- Luke's position on jedis

Things I'm not fine with:

- the fact that Luke, THIS Luke, will go underused because they rushed to kill him off.

Bingo.

Oct 25, 2017
Dear goodness, why are we going over this again? Let me ask you a simple question, when you watched the movie the first time did you believe that Luke was there physically before the reveal?

Okay? You ignoring all the signs that he wasn't actually there doesn't prove your point. So much of your complaints is just you just seeing what you want to see.

My first thought wasn't how he got there, it was "did this motherfucker actually stop to get a haircut".

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mark Hamill clearly doesn't like how TLJ handle Luke's arc. He just didn't come out with a sworn statement because he is still working in the industry. Some people just don't know how to read between the lines. Mark walked the balance of telling the fans what he really thought but politely and professionally vague. In fact he walked over the line a few times and directly warmed the fans.

And this is not even important. It doesn't matter how much Mark like his character. I don't like how Disney handle Mark Hamill, Princess Leia and Han Solo, all three of them. IMO Luke should go out like a boss a la
Logan
. That's what fans want.

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Hamill clearly doesn't like how TLJ handle Luke's arc. He just didn't come out with a sworn statement because he is still working in the industry. Some people just don't know how to read between the lines. Mark walked the balance of telling the fans what he really thought but politely and professionally vague. In fact he walked over the line a few times and directly warmed the fans.

And this is not even important. It doesn't matter how much Mark like his character. I don't like how Disney handle Mark Hamill, Princess Leia and Han Solo, all three of them. IMO Luke should go out like a boss a la
Logan
. That's what fans want.
Seeing what they want to see.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, thats why I watched it a second time, to try and fully understand what was going on in the movie. Because I missed a lot of shit the first time.

Sitting through a second viewing and picking up hints for 2.5 hours =/= argument over.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

Logan
. That's what fans want.

Luke achieved the same, if not more than, that other character without committing a single act of violence. How is that not "like a boss"?

Cool parallel, though.

Edit: Really, that's even more bosslier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, thats why I watched it a second time, to try and fully understand what was going on in the movie. Because I missed a lot of shit the first time.

Sitting through a second viewing and picking up hints for 2.5 hours =/= argument over.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. I'll just quickly summarize my point on this topic, the fact that the majority of the audience and characters believed Luke was actually there means it is possible to believe that he could survive such an attack physically there. Because, prior to the reveal you believed it was possible.

Whether Luke should have been there physically is a thematic and character debate, it is not a debate about whether it was technically possible to do such feats.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. I'll just quickly summarize my point on this topic, the fact that the majority of the audience and characters believed Luke was actually there means it is possible to believe that he could survive such an attack physically there. Because, prior to the reveal you believed it was possible.

Whether Luke should have been there physically is a thematic and character debate, it is not a debate about whether it was technically possible to do such feats.

I'm not sure what your point is either. So because people "believe" (audience members and Kylo) a Jedi could potentially demonstrate such power then this somehow invalidates the counter argument that Luke could not have pulled off what he did with the projection had he been there physically? Is this your argument?

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke achieved the same, if not more than, that other character without committing a single act of violence. How is that not "like a boss"?

Cool parallel, though.

Edit: Really, that's even more bosslier.

Staying in the puffin planet and cast a projection is cowardly. A projection also can't save his sister and the resistance. The fact that he makes a difference in the movie because the writer makes it that way. The writer also writes an escape tunnel so his projection matters. What if there is no escape tunnel? What if the fucking cave is just a cave? A physical Luke being there would be able to actually help.

If this movie is about giving Luke a decent send off, "The Last Jedi" would be actually about Luke SKywalker, the Last Jedi. It would be a 2-hour movie with at least 1-hour scene time of Luke. It would have a scene of Luke facing his own demons, not a scene of Rey looking at infinite mirror of herself. You know that moment in Logan, when Logan faces an enemy stronger and faster than him, he knows he is too old for the fight but he takes a deep breath and steps up anyway. That's what make Logan so good. Does anyone in TLJ even acknowledges Luke's contribution and sacrifice like X23 does on his grave. Nope. Nobody even knows he is dead. LOL what a loser.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what your point is either. So because people "believe" (audience members and Kylo) a Jedi could potentially demonstrate such power then this somehow invalidates the counter argument that Luke could not have pulled off what he did with the projection had he been there physically? Is this your argument?

Um, yes.

Luke's Force Projection did not reveal that it was impossible to survive such an attack, only that he wasn't there. After all, we all believed it was possible before the reveal. Therefore, attempts to shut down suggestions that he be there as impractical because he wouldn't survive are without merit. The movie never says this.

Not that I think he needed to be there, I liked the projection.

Oct 28, 2017
Um, yes.

Luke's Force Projection did not reveal that it was impossible to survive such an attack, only that he wasn't there. After all, we all believed it was possible before the reveal. Therefore, attempts to shut down suggestions that he be there as impractical because he wouldn't survive are without merit. The movie never says this.

How would you have liked the movie to prove otherwise

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He disagreed with withdrawn reclusive Luke. That's *all* he ever said. This is also the man who wanted Leia and Han to be murdered by Darkside ROTJ Luke - So I really don't know where people get off by "lol Hamill h8s TLJ!!!11"

Still, none of that means "unhappy", or offended, or anyhting. Just that he didn't think that particular thing fit.

Uh where did he say that

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL

Logan
. That's what fans want.

Stop trying to push a phony narrative.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Staying in the puffin planet and cast a projection is cowardly. A projection also can't save his sister and the resistance. The fact that he makes a difference in the movie because the writer makes it that way. The writer also writes an escape tunnel so his projection matters. What if there is no escape tunnel? What if the fucking cave is just a cave? A physical Luke being there would be able to actually help.

If this movie is about giving Luke a decent send off, "The Last Jedi" would be actually about Luke SKywalker, the Last Jedi. It would be a 2-hour movie with at least 1-hour scene time of Luke. It would have a scene of Luke facing his own demons, not a scene of Rey looking at infinite mirror of herself. You know that moment in Logan, when Logan faces an enemy stronger and faster than him, he knows he is too old for the fight but he takes a deep breath and steps up anyway. That's what make Logan so good. Does anyone in TLJ even acknowledges Luke's contribution and sacrifice like X23 does on his grave. Nope. Nobody even knows he is dead. LOL what a loser.

LOL. Surejan.gif.

First, yes, Rey and Leia both acknowledge Luke's sacrifice. Hope is rekindled in the Galaxy, Luke is a legend once more. Did you even watch the ending? Try paying attention next time.

Did you miss how Luke's efforts killed him? He knew the score. He stepped up just like Logan.

A projection also can't save his sister and the resistance.

But it literally did.

The fact that he makes a difference in the movie because the writer makes it that way.

Yes, it's good that you understand how movies work.

The writer also writes an escape tunnel so his projection matters. What if there is no escape tunnel? What if the fucking cave is just a cave?

What if Canada is no refuge? What if the bad guys, once he's dead, just stroll into Canada and grab those kids? They've already done a ton of illegal shit they don't want getting out, after all. The kids are only saved because the writer makes it that way.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

But we haven't known Luke Skywalker for 30 years.

We knew him 30 years ago. He hasn't been on screen since.

A lot of people don't understand the difference there.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, yes.

That also doesn't prove that he would survive the attack either. Luke even scoffs at the ridiculousness of taking on the entire FO by himself in his first conversation with Rey by saying "do you expect me to take on the entire first order with a laser sword" (paraphrasing). Yes WE as the audience believed it could be real. But delving deeper, do you truly think Luke believed he could survive despite what he said to Rey.

Does anyone in TLJ even acknowledges Luke's contribution and sacrifice like X23 does on his grave. Nope. Nobody even knows he is dead. LOL what a loser.

Does the stable boy who took the time to make a Luke Skywalker action figure at the end to tell the story to his friends not count?

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I truly love how upset people are over this movie. It was fucking great – it just wasn't the fan fiction that each person had individually thought up beforehand.

It's really like how Trump supporters love "librul tears". There is just no dialogue with a subset of fans and an endless cycle of mockery and high snobbishness for TLJ threads.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those are both straight up lies on your part.

If you're going to claim the high ground don't twist his words to suit your agenda.

hamill-disney-comments-1070460.jpeg

Mark Hamil, in interview HAS blatantly contradicted the more charitable reading of this statement, on record. My assumption of "They never told me what to say" and being very literal or somewhat cagey? seems to be on the nose. They've never told him what to say, but they HAVE complained and asked him to take things down/not say things before. I'm sorry if any of the below offends anyone, but it's just the truth and his own words.

Source: ComicBooks: Luke talks about getting in trouble for revealing 'The Last Jedi Trailer'
Video

How is it possible that no one at Disney or Lucas Film as ever complained or 'told him what to say' when he himself has said that there is a list of 'things he is not allowed to say to gets flagged'. He admits that he got in trouble with them over this incident and they told him to remove the tweet. His own words blatantly contradict his later tweet.

I hope some of the more hot headed posters in here can accept when they are wrong in this instance? Apparently?

There are a lot of people who want to shout people down, draw lines, and basically act childishly when it comes what Mark Hamill (or SW in general) has said or how others interpret it. Here are his words on the subject. I know some people won't see this because they've put me on their ignore list for failing a purity test, but that's no skin off my back. People are free to clown themselves or shut themselves off into echo chambers. It's not something I'm into at all but I don't claim to be an exemplar.

I will say it's noteworthy that I am both the person who has taken the most heat for this as well as the person who seems to actually put the work in to get an accurate account of what has been said.

MAY 25, 2017​

"Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson's script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, "I at one point had to say to Rian, 'I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you've made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you've created and do my best to realize your vision.

Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens's director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard."

As noted in my cover story, Hamill has a lot of thoughts on how Luke might have been reintroduced differently in The Force Awakens. He could have come in during Han Solo's climactic scene with Kylo Ren, receiving some sort of Force-telepathy distress call from his sister, General Leia, but arriving too late to save Han from death. Or, perhaps, he might have materialized in the snowy forest of Starkiller Base, where Rey duels with Kylo. On his first read-through of the script, Hamill recalled, he got excited when the legendary lightsaber wiggled portentously in the snow. "The moment in the forest, when the saber rattles?" he said. "I go, 'Oh, baby, here I come!' And then it flies into her hands? I said, What the hell, she hasn't even trained!"

Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson's script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, "I at one point had to say to Rian, 'I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you've made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you've created and do my best to realize your vision.' " Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens's director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard. To both directors, Hamill said, he delivered a version of this spiel: "I have thousands of really terrible ideas I would love to share with you, among which you might—just law of averages—find a nugget of something and go, 'That's not as terrible as the other 35 you just told us.

Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens's director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard. To both directors, Hamill said, he delivered a version of this spiel: "I have thousands of really terrible ideas I would love to share with you, among which you might—just law of averages—find a nugget of something and go, 'That's not as terrible as the other 35 you just told us.' "

source: Vanity Fair feature "Star Wars Nerds, Mark Hamill Is One of You"

JUN. 11, 2017​

"Look, I got into trouble because… I was quoted as saying to Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you decided about Luke, and it was inartfully phrased. What I was, I was surprised at how he saw Luke. And it took me a while to get around to his way of thinking, but once I was there it was a thrilling experience. I hope it will be for the audience too."

Source: Red Carpet Interview

OCT. 30, 2017​

"That's the hard part," Mr. Hamill said. "You don't want to admit how possessive you've become. There are times where you go, 'Really? That's what they think of Luke? I'm not only in disagreement – I'm insulted.' But that's the process and you thrash it all out."

While Mr. Hamill tries not to dispute the "Star Wars" filmmakers on big plot points — he's still not sure whether Mr. Lucas always intended for Luke and Leia to be brother and sister — he found himself full of strong opinions about how the character he has been associated with for 40 years should be presented in "The Last Jedi."

"That's the hard part," Mr. Hamill said. "You don't want to admit how possessive you've become. There are times where you go, 'Really? That's what they think of Luke? I'm not only in disagreement – I'm insulted.' But that's the process and you thrash it all out."

Source: The New York Times "Luke Skywalker Speaks"

Dec 15, 2017​

"I said to Rian, I said 'Jedis don't give up.' I mean even if he had a problem, maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong, so right there, we had a fundamental difference, but, it's not my story anymore. It's somebody else's story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective.

That's the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I'm sorry. Well, in this version, see. I'm talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he's 'Jake' Skywalker, he's not my Luke Skywalker.

I still haven't accepted it completely, but it's only a movie. I hope people like it, I hope they don't get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they needed for this job."

Source: SensaCine - Video

And if anyone has anything else, post it without snark. Who cares what some people read into it when the important thing is an accurate account.

Stop trying to push a phony narrative.

Nothing you just posted refuted the person you were replying to as Hamill comments in what you posted are about the film. Stop misrepresenting Mark Hamill.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's really like how Trump supporters love "librul tears". There is just no dialogue with a subset of fans and an endless cycle of mockery and high snobbishness for TLJ threads.
I mean, am I supposed to pretend I don't think people saying the #NotMyLuke shit are at the very least narrow-minded? Sorry, I just truly think people are being big babies about this movie.

People die. The world moves on. That doesn't mean you have to forget the achievements of fallen heroes. For me, this movie took Luke Skywalker from a very flawed character that I didn't care about very much to an actual legend. I just can't fathom how people look at what happened in the movie and think "OMG they ruined my childhood hero!"

He saved the Resistance. He saved his sister. He embarrassed the First Order. He inspired the galaxy. He gave hope to a next generation of Jedi. He performed the greatest feat of the Force we've ever seen in this film series. And somehow that's still not enough. I genuinely don't know what people were expecting out of this film.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm ready for it to be 2019 so we can move on to: "Omg wtf did JJ do?!? How could he end it this way? Oh well, at least we'll always have TLJ"

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I mean, am I supposed to pretend I don't think people saying the #NotMyLuke shit are at the very least narrow-minded? Sorry, I just truly think people are being big babies about this movie.

People die. The world moves on. That doesn't mean you have to forget the achievements of fallen heroes. For me, this movie took Luke Skywalker from a very flawed character that I didn't care about very much to an actual legend. I just can't fathom how people look at what happened in the movie and think "OMG they ruined my childhood hero!"

He saved the Resistance. He saved his sister. He embarrassed the First Order. He inspired the galaxy. He gave hope to a next generation of Jedi. He performed the greatest feat of the Force we've ever seen in this film series. And somehow that's still not enough. I genuinely don't know what people were expecting out of this film.

If you posted this in the first place instead of being obnoxious, things would be better. Don't be a prick

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you posted this in the first place instead of being obnoxious, things would be better. Don't be a prick
forgive me, but i don't know what the fuck this is supposed to mean

Are you thinking of someone else? I mean, I can be flippant at times but I don't think any of my posts in this thread would qualify as "obnoxious" or being a "prick"