• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So we could have PS5 be revealed in February and it be released in November just like this gen...

I wouldn't take things that far. I don't see PS5 getting revealed in 3 months. Maybe a mention on December 3, 2019 for PlayStation's 25th anniversary (or not).

February 2020 reveal - E3 2020 blowout - November 2020 release.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not happening. 2019 Sony has big 1st Party releases that will be spread throughout as one last pull for PS4 to hit over 100 million next year. You're looking at 2020 for PS5.

2013 had big 1st party releases that will be spread throughout as one last big pull for PS3. PS4 came out in 2013.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
OHWb7TC.gif

Please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy.
This was supposed to be a New IP.

Oct 28, 2017
So is this like a, stealth PS5 announcement?

PS5 2019 after all? Can't imagine Sony would wait till 2020 to announce it now as it's seemingly up on social media accounts.

In any case, cool.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
People expecting a fantasy title or whatever they believe to be classic should check out another LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/simonweisgerber/

"Creating the scenario for Luminous Productions' first title alongside renowned Hollywood screenwriter"

Didn't they also announce Luminous Productions working on movie / anime projects alongside games? This could be in relation to FFXVI side projects in the line of the FFXV anime or Kingsglaive.

I've said this before but I would really, really like a new mainline, single player FF to be in the vein of FFXIV. Fantasy setting, beautiful / varied (biomes) / open areas, big cities, dungeons, a job system based on classic FF jobs...

...I'm basically asking for a single player / coop MMO without a subscription.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is totally not news.

We knew they were working on a next gen game. Now we know it's not an Xbox exclusive. Shocker.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They have their reasons, obviously. So not terrible behavior at all but sensible behaviour on their part.

In 2019, with modern engines supporting multiple platforms with ease and the digital storefronts, you never have any reasons for a AA/AAA title to be exclusive anymore, unless someone pays for it.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
2013 had big 1st party releases that will be spread throughout as one last big pull for PS3. PS4 came out in 2013.

Exactly.For 2020 to happen we would have to pretend that 2019 simply doesn't exist,that Sony has to keep quiet whole year-they can not announce any new 1st party game cause they are all now in development for PS5,etc...this is just not gonna happen.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
If this is FF XVI I'm worried after what happened with XV's cancellations and 10 years to get nothing but a half shell of the masterpiece it should have been.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Yea I noticed that, Luminous was working on a AAA New IP but now it's just a AAA title. So probably an existing franchise ala Final Fantasy.

Was all a cover up. People figured it wasn't a new IP but this just seals it. This also explains everything of why Tabata left. They probably were forcing him to make XVI and he wanted to make a new IP.

Everything really makes sense now. Especially them "losing" 33 million magically.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Was all a cover up. People figured it wasn't a new IP but this just seals it. This also explains everything of why Tabata left. They probably were forcing him to make XVI and he wanted to make a new IP.

Everything really makes sense now. Especially them "losing" 33 million magically.

Forcing him to make XVI would have been a bad idea.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Forcing him to make XVI would have been a bad idea.

Especially after him cleaning up XV but maybe there was no one else to do it so they closed down the DLCs and his new IP and wanted him to start work on XVI. As we know, he left to pursue his own IP and own studio. It all fits because he didn't want to do another FF which this almost assuredly is now.

All makes sense now when you piece it together from a simple linkedin profile, which is funny. Even the 33 million makes sense. I knew it couldn't be from the DLC. It's because all of it is obviously going into starting up this project.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't get them anymore. They did bring several titles to Xbox One, you would think they would continue it. Especially now that MS has their shit together with the hardware, with them really going all in with new studios. Meh.

Well, they've been in bed with Sony ever since ps1. Sure, they've supported Nintendo and Microsoft in the years since then, but they seem set on sticking to PlayStation for the most part.

Which isn't surprising since they've had a business relationship now for over 20 years. Don't fix what isn't broken as the saying goes.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Well, they've been in bed with Sony ever since ps1. Sure, they've supported Nintendo and Microsoft in the years since then, but they seem set on sticking to PlayStation for the most part.

Which isn't surprising since they've had a business relationship now for over 20 years. Don't fix what isn't broken as the saying goes.

Right, FFVII:R was also only announced for PS4. I don't know how this is surprising if it actually is PS5 exclusive. Just because they are deciding to finally port every FF everywhere now after decades of PS and PC having them, doesn't mean they're suddenly going to jump ship from Sony to Microsoft or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Actually the most curious part of this resume for me is the new mobile title for China. I don't remember any mention of a mobile game in development, let alone specifically targeting the Chinese market. I wonder if this was linked to the new IP.

Oct 26, 2017

I guess so man, but the thing is, it was SE that right before E3 said they weren't gonna make exclusives anymore. They wanted to release everything on as many platforms possible. So I just don't get it. Especially when Xbox has shown that their titles can sell. Just look at Nier.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Actually the most curious part of this resume for me is the new mobile title for China. I don't remember any mention of a mobile game in development, let alone specifically targeting the Chinese market. I wonder if this was linked to the new IP.

"Last Idea" was just trademarked and certainly sounds like a mobile title so I think you're right on point here. That's probably what the new mobile title from China is.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Cautiously optimistic about this project. Though it's definitely disappointing that Square intends to make another PlayStation exclusive. Capcom does multi-platform better than SE.

Oct 26, 2017
Right, FFVII:R was also only announced for PS4. I don't know how this is surprising if it actually is PS5 exclusive. Just because they are deciding to finally port every FF everywhere now after decades of PS and PC having them, doesn't mean they're suddenly going to jump ship from Sony to Microsoft or Nintendo, especially when their relationship spans over two decades.

They don't need to jump ship, just support all the machines that are powerful enough for your new game. I don't think anyone expects them to make a Xbox exclusive but at least make it a multiplatform game. At the end of the day it means more sales too.

I guess it's possible that it's a debut on PS5 title like FF7R is and that it'll come to other platforms eventually like was the case with Nier, but it shouldn't be.

Oct 27, 2017

I think so too. So this means FF XVI most likely will stil use Luminous, thanks to the efforts made by Tabata and his team.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, this old news. We know since last year that BD2/Luminous had been working on a new AAA IP for next-gen. Tabata talked about it on several occasions:
You mentioned recently an all-new project being taken on by the team - how many people are working on it right now?

Hajime Tabata: It's still a very small team - we're at the very start of the process, and we're still working out what kind of game we want to make, when we want to get it out, what kind of technological base we want. It's a very small team - at the moment you're looking at 20-30 people.

Ah, so it's still pre-production.

Hajime Tabata: It's not even pre-production yet! We've got quite a lot of the technical investigations sorted for that. We've done a lot of investigation - about how the online functionality will work, moving away from dedicated games machines to cloud processing, how we could use those. A lot of the groundwork was done with Final Fantasy 15 - so we're in a good position for going into the main development.

You say you're targeting next-generation platforms. When exactly do you expect them to arrive?

Hajime Tabata: I can't say anything directly for that! It's very much my own personal intuition when that might be - I've got an idea in my head, but it's not as if I've spoken to Microsoft and Sony and have that kind of information! I'm sure sometime in the future I'll look at Eurogamer and look at an article and see something, think if that's the case I'd better start working on my plan now! We'll probably talk to you before then!
It's a new IP - did you want to make another Final Fantasy, or was it a relief to move on to something fresh.

Hajime Tabata: What I really wanted to do is use everything I learnt from working on Final Fantasy and put it into something new. You don't get that many opportunities in the games industry to make something new when you want, so I really wanted to put everything into that. And also discussing with my boss, Mr. Matsuda , he thinks from a strategic perspective, using the 15 team to do something completely new, it's a very important strategy. It all works out. I'll let you know that we won't be announcing anything for quite a while! I remember what you told me two years ago at Gamescom - without a release date, why did you come to Gamescom! I'm not going to do that again!

It shows a lot of faith from your seniors that they're giving you a new IP. So I take it that the Final Fantasy 15 project has been considered a success?

Hajime Tabata: I think that's the way the project's seen within the company. That's the assessment of how it went, and I'm very happy to hear that. It made a lot of money, and a lot of profit for the company - and that's a good thing. And the challenge of trying new things, and expanding that, that's part of the company's strategic plan. Doing new things based on what we did with 15, is perhaps even more important.

Source.
"It's hard to say at this point if the entire game is gonna be based on an open world," Tabata said. "But I would say that the overall experience that users get from playing in a massive area, that overall game experience is something that we're gonna make sure is in the next project as well."

Tabata also shared his thoughts on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and what his team could learn from Nintendo's critically acclaimed title. While he says he hasn't personally played the game yet because he hasn't been able to find a Switch, he has heard all about it from his team and would like to create a similar experience with his own team's expertise.

"I've heard a lot from the dev team and their reactions to having played it. But just from hearing the stories and the feedback, you know, we can tell that it's a really complete game," Tabata said. "It's very polished, almost a perfect game in that regard. And our goals are probably to take that experience that players felt with Breath of the Wild, but with our own technology and our own know-how.

"We have in our disposal to create a very, very high-quality game with a strong visual element to it, while creating a world that's really immersive and really beautiful. That's probably our goals in terms of what we want to be with our next project."

Source.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Luminous' new IP was based on Agni. Tabata's team lead the project the last time it was shown as WITCH at the Microsoft Build conference in 2015 too.

I don't have any faith in SE anymore but i would kill for a good old classic FF.
The screenshot you replied to is from the Agni's Philosphy aka. WITCH tech demo and it's not medieval, but a mix of modern and fantasy. There were cars and guys with machine guns etc. and a modern sci-fi-looking metropolis in the background when Agni took off on her dragon.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess so man, but the thing is, it was SE that right before E3 said they weren't gonna make exclusives anymore. They wanted to release everything on as many platforms possible. So I just don't get it. Especially when Xbox has shown that their titles can sell. Just look at Nier.

Well I also think you and everyone else is getting a little ahead of yourselves. It's just a profile of one employee. Probably for a game years away from release.

Let's wait for an "official" announcement before we bring out the pitchforks yes?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
"Last Idea" was just trademarked and certainly sounds like a mobile title so I think you're right on point here. That's probably what the new mobile title from China is.
At the end of 2017 they announced a new FFXV mobile game for the Chinese market for 2019. I guess it's that one.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
They don't need to jump ship, just support all the machines that are powerful enough for your new game. I don't think anyone expects them to make a Xbox exclusive but at least make it a multiplatform game. At the end of the day it means more sales too.

I guess it's possible that it's a debut on PS5 title like FF7R is and that it'll come to other platforms eventually like was the case with Nier, but it shouldn't be.

If it's FFXVI then I expect it to be on PS5/X2. No reason for it to be exclusive unless Sony has an exclusive deal with them, which is possible. Look at SFV.

As for VII:R, we don't know what FFVII:R is like so can't really use that to compare anything really. Maybe that'll only ever come to PC and Sony will have a big hand in it, like SFV, maybe it'll only be PS4/PS5, etc. As of now it's PS4 only and was announced as such so this and VII:R/NieR aren't really similiar to each other.

But I do think if this is XVI it'll be on both systems. Unless again, if Sony has some SFV event going on. Who knows.