• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why this is news? They straight up told us it was a next-gen game when they rebranded division 2.
The thing is that it's not a new IP anymore, it just says a new AAA title.
Nah, they provided an update to Eurogamer that reaffirms it's a new IP:

BWZZ0Y2.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ts-square-enix-final-fantasy-15-dlc-cancelled

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Agni's Philosophy needs, imo, to get rid of the rifle-wielding terrorist-like enemies and tweak some things here and there to make it more interesting.

I still really don't want the new IP (or much less, FF XVI) to be based on that. I guess you can keep the overall design of the MC. Oh, and the magic system glimpsed there, which was quite cool tbh.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In 2019, with modern engines supporting multiple platforms with ease and the digital storefronts, you never have any reasons for a AA/AAA title to be exclusive anymore, unless someone pays for it.

Sure, sure...money hatting and all that.

Believe whatever narrative makes you happy, man, it's your life

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.For 2020 to happen we would have to pretend that 2019 simply doesn't exist,that Sony has to keep quiet whole year-they can not announce any new 1st party game cause they are all now in development for PS5,etc...this is just not gonna happen.

Man, I switched to the 2020 camp a while ago...time for you to come as well ;)

I know it sucks but it is what it is

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you have to be be agressive ?
I gave you reasonnable argument ? Why does it makes you upset ?

Lol man you quoted my post, I think it's you the one getting all upset ;)

There's plenty of reasons for games not to come to Xbox besides money hatting, so what can I tell you? Believe what you want if that makes you happier

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
I haven't seen this posted anywhere here yet, they also updated their website with a new message:

Creating entertainment for tomorrow

I'm Takeshi Aramaki, VP of Development at LUMINOUS PRODUCTIONS.
I had the honor of being the lead programmer for FINAL FANTASY XV.
In developing FFXV, we meticulously pursued the potential of games, from the open world system to the application of emotion-filled AI.
This philosophy is ingrained in our staff and LUMINOUS ENGINE, our proprietary creative toolset, and continues to grow each day.
We are currently making steady progress on a brand new title. We cannot wait to show you, and we hope that you look forward to its reveal.

Takeshi Aramaki

http://www.luminous-productions.com/

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Lol man you quoted my post, I think it's you the one getting all upset ;)

There's plenty of reasons for games not to come to Xbox besides money hatting, so what can I tell you? Believe what you want if that makes you happier

I'm upset because I provided arguments to your point ? :")
I dont care about games not coming to Xbox, I dont even have one.
I'm just telling you that for a publisher, nowadays because of the developpement environnement and the digital market, there's no reasons for a AA/AAA game to skip a platform unless someone pays for it or if the platform isnt powerful enough.

Now if that mere idea challenge your safety to the point you need to it personnal, whatever floats your boat.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just telling you that for a publisher, nowadays because of the developpement environnement and the digital market, there's no reasons for a AA/AAA game to skip a platform unless someone pays for it or if the platform isnt powerful enough.

Now if that mere idea challenge your safety to the point you need to it personnal, whatever floats your boat.

I'm sorry man but that's just not true. I'm not sure why you have to be so in my face trying to pick a fight lol

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt that it's possible that Sony are just more ahead with the PS5 than Microsoft is with the next Xbox right now. So Square might just know more about the PS5 at this time.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I don't know why you keep saying this, Japanese games skipping Xbox is a normal thing, it could be because they think the port won't be worth it, have a deal with another platform holder, etc.. we don't even know if this is an exclusive yet.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/15/report-ps5-square-enix-playstation-5/

If a Square Enix developer's LinkedIn profile is to be believed, the PS5 is real and Square Enix is currently working on a AAA title for the platform. It was bound to happen sooner or later, with all of the rumors and speculation currently flying around about the PlayStation 5. Next-gen consoles are likely just around the corner within the next year or two. We've known the PS5 is coming, but it's never been explicitly confirmed as the PS5 or PlayStation 5 before.

Most reports indicate that the PlayStation 5 release date will be sometime in 2020. If Sony follows previous trends, it will be revealed at an exclusive event and not at a larger industry event like E3. There's also evidence that it will be backwards compatible with the PS4 library, including digital purchases. Most recently, there's been rumblings of Sony working with AMD Ryzen tech for the console.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People expecting a fantasy title or whatever they believe to be classic should check out another LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/simonweisgerber/

"Creating the scenario for Luminous Productions' first title alongside renowned Hollywood screenwriter"

Oh god. This combined with it being a big AAA production and I'm already disappointed.

People keep saying their engine is impressive but is it efficient enough to get games out in a timely fashion?
I'm already salty that we won't see another FF game until next-gen and going by how long FFXV took it probably won't be until the end of the next-gen.
Hard to get excited. Fuck AAA games.

Oct 26, 2017
If it's FFXVI then I expect it to be on PS5/X2. No reason for it to be exclusive unless Sony has an exclusive deal with them, which is possible. Look at SFV.

As for VII:R, we don't know what FFVII:R is like so can't really use that to compare anything really. Maybe that'll only ever come to PC and Sony will have a big hand in it, like SFV, maybe it'll only be PS4/PS5, etc. As of now it's PS4 only and was announced as such so this and VII:R/NieR aren't really similiar to each other.

But I do think if this is XVI it'll be on both systems. Unless again, if Sony has some SFV event going on. Who knows.

You're right about the that. But it seems like it's a new IP, not FF.

I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt that it's possible that Sony are just more ahead with the PS5 than Microsoft is with the next Xbox right now. So Square might just know more about the PS5 at this time.

Hopefully that's it. With this being a new IP and all too. No FF but actually something new.

Polygatari

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
OHWb7TC.gif

Please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy.

Please be turn based. Please be turn based. Please be turn based.

it's not going to be turn based.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this is news? They straight up told us it was a next-gen game when they rebranded division 2.

Nah, they provided an update to Eurogamer that reaffirms it's a new IP:

BWZZ0Y2.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ts-square-enix-final-fantasy-15-dlc-cancelled
Yeah, just wanted to post this. nolifebr maybe add this to the OP to clarify that at least officially they reiterated they're still working on the new IP they started when Tabata was still there.

Though, of course you never know with SE and if they won't suddenly decide to rebrand it to FFXVII or so at some point. But for now it's still officially that same new IP.

Was all a cover up. People figured it wasn't a new IP but this just seals it. This also explains everything of why Tabata left. They probably were forcing him to make XVI and he wanted to make a new IP.

Everything really makes sense now. Especially them "losing" 33 million magically.
Nah, they still officially reiterated it's a new IP, see above.

Also regarding the loss, see this:
The 33m write down was due to throwing out work that was being done on existing projects that now have been cancelled. This includes 15 DLC, but also stuff Luminous was making first attempts on. Tabata had grand designs for Luminous including outside games, but SE decided it didn't want to go down that path. Shutting down those productions resulted in the extraordinary loss they posted, since the cash already invested in those things will be lost.

At the end of the day, SE didn't believe the stuff they cancelled had the potential to give them a reliable and decent return in investment. It sounds like Tabata did, so he'll try to secure funding from elsewhere and do it alone. He probably will, too - while he made his share of mistakes bringing FF15 home proves he could be a valuable, bankable investment for some other company or investor. On the SE side, I'm sure the new Luminous will produce something interesting too.
---

Didn't they also announce Luminous Productions working on movie / anime projects alongside games? This could be in relation to FFXVI side projects in the line of the FFXV anime or Kingsglaive.

I've said this before but I would really, really like a new mainline, single player FF to be in the vein of FFXIV. Fantasy setting, beautiful / varied (biomes) / open areas, big cities, dungeons, a job system based on classic FF jobs...

...I'm basically asking for a single player / coop MMO without a subscription.
I think that might actually be what FFXVI could be especially if it's indeed developed by BD5 (the FFXIV/FFXII/TLR team) like some things been hinting at. It's just speculation for now, but BD5 (FFXIV/FFXII/TLR team) has been hiring for a new project since at least early 2016 and some of the FFXIV leads were taken off during Heavensward's development in 2015. See:
duckroll (Sept 2017 said:
Several of the major team leads on FFXIV stepped down after Heavensward, including the director of The Last Remnant and the FFXII lead planner. :)

---

In 2.0 and Heavensward, Hiroshi Takai and Mitsutoshi Gondai were assistant directors. Kazutoyo Maehiro was the main scenario writer. Takai was the director of The Last Remnant. Gondai was the lead battle designer for FFXIV. Maehiro was a lead planner on The Last Remnant and worked as a planner/designer for all of Matsuno's "Ivalice" games - FFT, VS, FFXII.

At the end of the Heavensward patch cycle, just before Stormblood, all three stepped aside. Stormblood is carried by new leads who were promoted from the respective teams. So we have a director, a battle planner, and a scenario writer, who worked on the most well received FF game in the last decade, suddenly doing nothing for about a year now.

:thinkingemoji:

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I'm sorry man but that's just not true. I'm not sure why you have to be so in my face trying to pick a fight lol

Your replies were mocking in tone, and contains accusations to piss the other user off. Your irrelevant "lol" and smiley faces make it all the more juvenile. If you got the time to accuse others of being upset and getting up in your face, then maybe you should just stop with the aggressive replies? It's so easy, but apparently you have some issues doing that.

I don't know why you keep saying this, Japanese games skipping Xbox is a normal thing, it could be because they think the port won't be worth it, have a deal with another platform holder, etc.. we don't even know if this is an exclusive yet.

Funny you're literally saying the exact same thing as the person you're challenging. Can you guys knock it the hell off with these baits? Because your nonsensical replies only serve to derail the thread.

People keep saying their engine is impressive but is it efficient enough to get games out in a timely fashion?
I'm already salty that we won't see another FF game until next-gen and going by how long FFXV took it probably won't be until the end of the next-gen.
Hard to get excited. Fuck AAA games.

Well, I certainly hope their experience with the engine during FFXV's development helps. BD2 did manage to deliver FFXV in 3 years. However, who knows what will happen to Luminous Productions after the recent news. The project could definitely get mismanaged, but it depends. All we can do is wait anyway.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but point still stands. KH3 took much longer despite this but that was due to management and other issues like engine changes...still, even if XV did take another year in the oven, which it should or shouldn't have, doesn't really matter at this point. They proved they can ship out a AAA game to critical and commercial success in normal development time. That makes sense why they're making a PS5 game already and why Luminous is being used next gen because it's capable.
The main reason why KHIII has taken so long is because it is a fucking MASSIVE project with production values that get it to look about as close to Pixar movies as current gen consoles are capable of getting. Switching engines did cause a delay, but otherwise there haven't been any major management or developmental troubles that would've affected its release (at least anymore than big scale projects like this usually go through). You could put Nintendo, Naughty Dog or any other developer on this project and if they were to make the exact same product in roughly the same quality with the same resources, I doubt they would develop it much faster.

This will also be the second gen where only one main FF comes out. They used to at least have two or even three per generation. Hopefully with now an established engine going forward they can make at least two main FF's per generation. Regardless, I think XVI is going to be a big showcase for Sony's PS5 reveal but I don't think we're seeing that until 2020.
Last gen had two + a couple of sequels and a big portable game. You could argue technically three, since XIV 1.0 and ARR are two almost completely separate games. And this generation isn't over yet. At the very least I expect FFVII Remake Part 1 to be released before this generation ends or at latest within a few months of next gen arriving (depending on when PS5 or Xbox 5000 launches).

It's somewhat silly to look back at some PS1 generation and be all "they could make 3 mainline FFs in 4 years then, why can't they do so now". Games of FF's scale are far more massive undertakings nowadays. It's just not realistic to expect them to be able to release three mainline FFs within the span of a few years anymore. At least not without severely affecting the output of games that are not mainline FFs, which even their current pace probably already does to some degree, let alone if they developed FFXVI, FFXVII and FFXVIII simultaneously and in a way that they could release them as closely to each other as they did FFVII-IX.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Just seeing those three characters is hype.

I'm itching for it.

As for SE. I have zero faith next gen will be any less of a shitshow than this one, or the last one for that matter.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Of course they "and other developers" are working on PS5 games, the console is two years away now and games takes long years to finish up.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
OHWb7TC.gif

Please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy, please let FFXVI be a medieval fantasy.

Yuck.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as they started shooting ak47s, I was out.
Admittedly, the Middle-Eastern-looking terrorists crap can go, but other than that I'm always in for modern-fantasy-hybrid settings like that. If their new IP was a third-person ARPG with some focus on guns- and magic-based combat that would be cool to me. Imagine you could fly your dragon too! :O

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
This will be next gens squares " demo " shown at the Sony e3 conference that we will never see anything close to.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OHWb7TC.gif

Isn't 16 meant to be a co op loot game made by the 14 leads?

Or is that just guessing?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were shutdown?
What, no. Tabata left, Luminous Productions is still there. They presumably cancelled some side projects (gaming and non-gaming stuff) and are now focusing only on their new next-gen AAA IP, which we've known about since last year already.

Isn't 16 meant to be a co op loot game made by the 14 leads?

Or is that just guessing?
Everything regarding FFXVI has been just speculation. There has been no official word on anything so far.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Just seeing those three characters is hype.

I'm itching for it.

As for SE. I have zero faith next gen will be any less of a shitshow than this one, or the last one for that matter.
How has this gen been a shitshow? They've released several critically acclaimed titles, lots of smaller gems and there hasn't been anything anywhere near of the level of FFXIV 1.0 & ARR distrubting all other development. FFVII Remake was arguably announced too early for the impatient masses but otherwise there haven't been many big blunders. Luminous was almost put to task too early but they didn't get too hung up on it in the same way that they did with Crystal Tools, and began with or quickly moved projects to UE4 to keep them going forward.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I hope they can make a good final fantasy game it's been awhile since they made one of those.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think it's a safe bet that SE is cooking up a game in the Agnis Philosophy world. Probably have been for years. Whether it's this particular game or not, I just have a feeling. They showed that tech demo quite often and even had a survey where one of the questions straight up was something along the lines of "Would you want this as a game".