• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
between 1877 and 1950... for perspective, my 87 year old Grandma was born in 1931.
The memorial captures the brutality and the scale of lynchings throughout the South, where more than 4,000 black men, women and children, died at the hands of white mobs between 1877 and 1950. Most were in response to perceived infractions -- walking behind a white woman, attempting to quit a job, reporting a crime or organizing sharecroppers.
Bryan Stevenson, a Harvard University-trained lawyer who created the Equal Justice Initiative in 1994 to fight for justice for people on death row, found himself transfixed by the South's history of lynching African Americans.

Stevenson and a team of researchers spent years documenting those lynchings, combing through court records and local newspapers -- which often notified the public that a lynching was coming -- and talking to local historians and family members of victims.
Naming the victims
Their findings yielded a roll call of names that have never had a place in the public memory or the public accounting of what happened:
General Lee, lynched in 1904, for knocking on a white woman's door in Reevesville, South Carolina.
Jeff Brown, lynched in 1916, for accidentally bumping into a white girl as he was trying to catch a train in Cedarbluff, Mississippi.
Sam Cates, lynched in 1917, for "annoying white girls" in England, Arkansas.
Jesse Thornton, lynched in 1940, for failing to address a police officer as "mister," in Luverne, Alabama.
"If I asked the question, "Name one African American lynched between 1877 and 1950," Stevenson said, most people can't name one person. "Thousands of black people were lynched. Can't name one. Why?"
"Because we haven't talked about it," he said. "And there are names that we can call from history for all of these other things. But not that."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/...-memorial-montgomery-alabama0948AMVODtopVideo

"Interesting" the things this country insists we "never forget" yet black Americans are told to "get over it"

Edit: could a mod edit the thread title for me please "lyncing memorial remembers over 4000 Black people killed by white mobs"

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What's happening here?
The OP seems to be from a quote bu there's no links, there's a memorial but we don't know where.
What is happening?

Point out how black Americans are told to forget our cultural context? Yeah, I will do this

And as well you should, 3000 people die in a horrible terrorist attack and we're told to never forget the horrors and that we'll always remember where we were then.
Black people being lynched on the regular? Who has time for that.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
Rod Dreher, a conservative goofball, had a very interesting blog post about this stuff a couple years ago. I think he focused on a specific series in 1920s Texas. The title was American ISIS. I recall it being worth reading (unlike most of his other work).

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
What's happening here?
The OP seems to be from a quote bu there's no links, there's a memorial but we don't know where.
What is happening?

And as well you should, 3000 people die in a horrible terrorist attack and we're told to never forget the horrors and that we'll always remember where we were then.
Black people being lynched on the regular? Who has time for that.

My bad, I copied by forget to add the link, it's there now.

Yeah I'm already told I'm playing opppression olympics so...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
My bad, I copied by forget to add the link, it's there now.
Thanks
Yeah I'm already told I'm playing opppression olympics so...
I think a better way would be without having to drag holocaust in this because god knows there's already enough people trying to minimize it.
It's baffling that much of the oppressive past of the US is kept under wraps like nothing happened though.
But we all know why it took till 2018 to get a memorial like that...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
We learned about this in high school, in regards to Reevesville, SC. There's a newspaper clipping of what was written back then. I don't know if anyone wants to read how they wrote it, but it's available. There are a few articles written about what happened as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks

I think a better way would be without having to drag holocaust in this because god knows there's already enough people trying to minimize it.
It's baffling that much of the oppressive past of the US is kept under wraps like nothing happened though.
But we all know why it took till 2018 to get a memorial like that...

And I'm absolutely not saying there are no Holocaust deniers. I am going to point out that mainstream outlets like Fox News tells black people to "get over it" that wouldn't dare say anything like that to Jewish people

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Point out how black Americans are told to forget our cultural context? Yeah, I will do this
The holocaust wasn't done by America though. So the comparison isn't fair. How many Americans know that there was an American Pro-Nazi Party, and they did parades and even had camps? It's easy to remember the crimes someone else commits, and easier to hide the ones done at home.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I'm absolutely not saying there are no Holocaust deniers. I am going to point out that mainstream outlets like Fox News tells black people to "get over it" that wouldn't dare say anything like that to Jewish people
Not to mention that whole no reparations thing.

The holocaust wasn't done by America though. So the comparison isn't fair. How many Americans know that there was an American Pro-Nazi Party, and they did parades and even had camps? It's easy to remember the crimes someone else commits, and easier to hide the ones done at home.
Japanese interment camp thing did though and they received reparations for it.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
4000 seems like a low number to me and I'm surprised there were apparently no more lynchings after 1950

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Germany (and France to a stupidly lower extent) did a bang up job remembering and contextualizing atrocities committed in its name.
Much better than whatever the fuck America is doing.
If the US wasn't always yelling about personal responsability, no one would need to drag its nose on shitty things done in the past either.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017

But the US paid out reparations to Holocaust survivors....

4000 seems like a low number to me and I'm surprised there were apparently no more lynchings after 1950

It's more than 4000 and that's just between those years names they could confirm, I believe. Obviously there were more murders before and after

Way to fuck up your own thread Elegant Weapon

The thread title? A kid will fix that soon hopefully

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that whole no reparations thing. Japanese interment camp thing did though and they received reparations for it.

You're absolutely right on that, and I think that would have been the better example for op. I don't think that the victims of the Tuskegee experiments got reparations either.

I did not know that. Is this for America's role in turning away ships fleeing Europe?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And it is STILL in the forms when you reach the US whether or not you've been part of that or not.
USA is pretty stand up about that, anything to do with slavery or Jim Crow though?
I wouldn't even be surprised if you told me that the US government didnt' even issue an apology for using AAs as unwilling medical test subjects.

Oct 26, 2017

I understand your intent, but, even setting outright deniers to the side, I think you'll find that Jews are frequently told to get over the holocaust. This is evident in the online conversation around any holocaust film.

And now you're getting dangerously close to a "Jews control the media" thing, which, I get, is not exactly what you're saying.

I think this is either going to be a thread about the lynching memorial, or a thread about how good the Jews have it, and you should update the OP (or not) depending on where you want conversation to go.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The 60 Minutes segment went into this but it's a current effort by an activist lawyer that is still ongoing. The number includes the lynching that he and his team were able to look into that had the names of the killed. Not all lynchings had documentation about the identity of the murdered.

In the segment he mentioned that there were thousands more lynchings he had to look into.

Also, Elegant Weapon : what is you doing? Good to raise awareness on this but why poison your own thread with antisemitism (and don't try to claim that ain't what you're doing)?

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Do you think the Holocaust and American's ongoing racial hatred are treated with the same reverence, honestly?

How in the fuck does that mean jewish people don't get told to get over the holocaust. Are you daft?

Oh, you're one of those people huh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.74d163169653

I did not know that. Is this for America's role in turning away ships fleeing Europe?

It's not reparations, it's assistance to people who are of old age and suffering from PTSD
https://www.jta.org/2013/12/11/news...biden-white-house-to-help-holocaust-survivors

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Google partnered with this org recently and featured this site: https://lynchinginamerica.eji.org/

They have just six audio stories (out of the 4,000 they are memorializing), and it was still too hard to listen to them all. Way too heartbreaking, way too fucked up and painful.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
I understand your intent, but, even setting outright deniers to the side, I think you'll find that Jews are frequently told to get over the holocaust. This is evident in the online conversation around any holocaust film.

And now you're getting dangerously close to a "Jews control the media" thing, which, I get, is not exactly what you're saying.

I think this is either going to be a thread about the lynching memorial, or a thread about how good the Jews have it, and you should update the OP (or not) depending on where you want conversation to go.

No, I legit wasn't even thinking about the Jews running the media thing just the stark difference between mainstream reverence and remembrance of our history

No. The holocaust bit. Why was that even necessary? Now instead of the discussion being on the memorial, it'll be about that.

I was making a point about the erasure of the history and context as black Americans but you're right, I don't want this to be black Americans vs Jews so I'll edit it out so we can keep the focus on the history of black Americans

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How in the fuck does that mean jewish people don't get told to get over the holocaust. Are you daft?
At least people acknowledge that the holocaust happened or they're rightfully grouped with fucking nazis.
With lynching and the rest? You can probably find plenty of people from both parties claiming that it's never been an issue at all.
Again, for the WWII bit, I still feel like we're not there yet in the US with how acceptance of neo nazis is but it's mile beyond and probably the best it's right now for any minority group.

And another remainder of fuck the SNCF.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason why black people are told to be over it is because the South and white supremacists are mad still that they lost.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
At least people acknowledge that the holocaust happened or they're rightfully grouped with fucking nazis.
With lynching and the rest? You can probably find plenty of people from both parties claiming that it's never been an issue at all.

I can find plenty of people in both parties who deny the holocaust or say jewish people should get over it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The United States needs to address its crimes against Black Americans the same way Germany did for its crimes. Reading that article and seeing how confederate traitors are celebrated with street names and monuments still to this day. This isn't a people who are remorseful or ashamed of what was done. Seeing some of the examples of people lynched, it is insane how this isn't regarded as blatant terrorism committed against civilians.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
If you want a do-over on this thread, go ahead. This one is already lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.