• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
A distressed 57-year-old woman called in saying her violent husband had threatened to kill her after years of escalating abuse at home and that she had to leave. She was at the local police station. She said she had filed a police complaint but, fearing her husband would murder her, she had asked the police to accompany her home to safely retrieve her possessions before leaving. But the police refused.

"You're in the police station? You're in danger. Your husband is at home. The police can accompany you," the operator assured the caller.

The woman said that the police were refusing to do so. Macron looked visibly angered and shook his head, but remained silent.

In a call that lasted 15 minutes, the operator attempted in vain to persuade the gendarme to help, but the officer insisted it wasn't his place to intervene. Unaware that the president was listening in, the officer said – wrongly – that he would need a judicial order to accompany the woman.

Macron silently shook his head and wrote a note on a piece of paper, handing it to the operator.

"It's the gendarme's job to protect her when there is a clear risk," with or without any extra judicial permission, the note said.

The hotline operator continued to press the officer, at one point saying: "This woman is under threat of death, are you waiting until she's actually killed?"

But the officer refused to act.

After the call, an exasperated Macron asked: "Does that happen often?"

The operator, who had been working on the hotline for over 20 years, said: "Oh yes, more and more frequently."

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ACAB

It's interesting that police in western nations seem to see serve and protect as serving themselves and protecting themselves.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
ACAB, Western or Eastern doesn't matter they all suck.

I would say I'm surprised by this development but I'd be lying.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What a fucking shame. So often, the wrong people are being attracted to police work. There are plenty of good people out there that would make great police officers, but they're just not attracted to the position. Instead, it's those looking for power and authority. Just gross.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Western Nations? Maybe you meant North American nations. I would say the police have a good reputation in Scandinavia and other parts of Europe.
Not really tbh. A huge number of Finnish cops had a private FB group where they were being racist shits and laughing at women being raped etc. Cops are shit everywhere.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And in many eastern nations corruption and bribery runs rampant. People in positions of power will abuse it everywhere.

Fair enough, you'll receive no argument here. I hesitate to call this an abuse of power, however. This is a gross dereliction of duty and a failure to uphold the uniform. In some ways, that's a lot, lot, worse.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a sexism thing or a self-interest (I don't want to confront a murderous husband) thing or both?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Cops: it isn't just America!
no, but America is still in a league of its own. We have shitty cops the world over, just like we have mass shootings around the world. Their severity, their frequency, and how the aftermath is dealt with in law, is what is different.

For example police in Germany kill 1-3 people a year, in a country with the largest population in Europe besides Russia, and is the second most immigrated to country in the world, plus having open borders within the schengen zone. We still have shitty cops in general, but it's nowhere like having to deal with U.S cops, and those stats apply to a bunch of western countries like Scandinavian countries. And the entire police force fires less bullets a year than a single car chase in the U.S.

Cops are shit the world over, but how institutionalised it is varies greatly. personally I don't like using the ACAB/1312 phrase because in Germany and parts of Europe this had almost exclusively been used by nazis and ultras because of their disdain for police

Last edited:

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
People the guy is not a simple cop, he's a gendarme, he's a military cop. That's even worst, French have their issues with the police, either for racial reason or social reason (see the yellow vest repression). Gendarmes are supposed to be better than cops and to see such laziness (or other reasons) to do his fucking job is fucking infuriating ! it's a military for fuck sake, you swore to protect the nation !! Protect it !!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People the guy is not a simple cop, he's a gendarme, he's a military cop. That's even worst, French have their issues with the police, either for racial reason or social reason (see the yellow vest repression). Gendarmes are supposed to be better than cops and to see such laziness (or other reasons) to do his fucking job is fucking infuriating ! it's a military for fuck sake, you swore to protect the nation !! Protect it !!
American here. Can you spare a few words to differentiate Gendarme from Police? We don't have such a distinction here in Freedomland. Is a Gendarme a member of the military that's occasionally called upon for domestic service? In the US I think this would be the equivalent of "National Guard".

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
As an American, allow me to ask you to spare a few words to differentiate Gendarme from Police. We don't have such a distinction here in Freedomland. Is a Gendarme a member of the military that's occasionally called upon for domestic service? In the US I think this would be the equivalent of "National Guard".

They are vaguely similar concepts. The difference is that the US National Guard acts as something more of a reserve force with minimal civil involvement outside of very specific circumstances. The Gendarmerie have an active role in civil law enforcement and internal security.

Gendarmes, in my experience throughout Western and Eastern Europe, tend to be arseholes.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
As an American, allow me to ask you to spare a few words to differentiate Gendarme from Police. We don't have such a distinction here in Freedomland. Is a Gendarme a member of the military that's occasionally called upon for domestic service? In the US I think this would be the equivalent of "National Guard".

The difference is mostly about where they are. Police are more in urban areas whereas the gendarmes are in the countryside. So they are rarely involved ( or at all) in keeping the public order during urban riot. Thus, in part, the better reputation. Otherwise the gendarmerie is a military corps in the same way as the armée de terre ( litt. Army of land) but with the same kind of tasks than the police.

We also have hospital run by the army too, their reputation is better than the normal public ones (for good reason in my opinion). Military are supposed to be the best servant of the nation. To not speak, to not whine nor complain, to stay silent and to act.

Edit: I don't think it's similar in any kind of way to your national guards, are most extreme to this day way of dealing with disorder is the CRS (big guy in armor that loves to hit, they're hated) and their completely police. To send the army in front of the population would be unimaginable and seen as a fascists action.

Last edited:

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? The Gendarmes are particularly known to be arseholes. Friends in France have always suggested to me that the normal police are comparatively the lesser of evils

Oct 27, 2017
The difference is mostly about where they are. Police are more in urban areas whereas the gendarmes are in the countryside. So they are rarely involved ( or at all) in keeping the public order during urban riot. Thus, in part, the better reputation. Otherwise the gendarmerie is a military corps in the same way as the armée de terre ( litt. Army of land) but with the same kind of tasks than the police.

We also have hospital run by the army too, their reputation is better than the normal public ones (for good reason in my opinion). Military are supposed to be the best servant of the nation. To not speak, to not whine nor complain, to stay silent and to act.

Edit: I don't think it's similar in any kind of way to your national guards, are most extreme to this day way of dealing with disorder is the CRS (big guy in armor that loves to hit, they're hated) and their completely police. To send the army in front of the population would be unimaginable and seen as a fascists action.

Oh, so it's like the Police and the Civil Guard (Guardia Civil) here in Spain. State and military law enforcement. The latter has a slightly better reputation than the former (though it's nothing stellar either...).

I have to be honest: I always thought that not all cops were bastards. And I still believe it for individual people. But I read something that changed my mind some time ago: all cops may not actively be bastards, but they are a willing part of the system that allows other to be so. So they are complicit to the problem and maintaining the status quo.

Absolutely disgusting. I hope this woman got the help she needed.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? The Gendarmes are particularly known to be arseholes. Friends in France have always suggested to me that the normal police are comparatively the lesser of evils

Weird. I have a completely different experience. As the son of a cop and a military I could tell the difference of perception quite easily. Maybe it's because I mostly lived in the city though. The bad stuff about the gendarmerie I heard was that they were way less good at investigating than the police.

Oh, so it's like the Police and the Civil Guard (Guardia Civil) here in Spain. State and military law enforcement. The latter has a slightly better reputation than the former (though it's nothing stellar either...).

I have to be honest: I always thought that not all cops were bastards. And I still believe it for individual people. But I read something that changed my mind some time ago: all cops may not actively be bastards, but they are a willing part of the system that allows other to be so. So they are complicit to the problem and maintaining the status quo.

Well it's normal to develop a group mentality when you're in a... group, obviously. and my father being a cop I could see it, they often push the responsibilities on their hierarchy, politics and politician's network, which is in part true. But the issue is that inevitably a job that consist of holding a gun, hitting protesters, and being the owner of authority will always bring people that have no vocation in protecting but only to dominate and use their power. Some cops see themselves as cowboy; Their guns simulate their phallus (which is also true for individual without a phallus)

Individuals no matter where they are are always stuck in their situation. When you're young you're rebel, most of the time, but one day you'll have to go the bank to ask a loan, and then you're stuck, the bank owns you, the system owns you. You have monthly payment to pay, you're fucked.
With your sentences I could describe bankers, assurances providers, judge, member of parliament, etc...

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The structure was copied from France, so yeah, it is the same!

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing they protect and serve is the paycheck they receive without doing nothing.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Some Cops Are Bastards and they ruin the reputation for the rest of them. Sadly, it's a job that attracts lots of assholes. That said, I sincerely hope this Gendarme gets fired for refusing to help when he had the duty to do so, at least to serve as an example to the rest.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
So did the woman end up getting help? What happened with her after that?