• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Big grain of salt but seems like an innocent enough tweet may of revealed WB Games and Avalanche Studios?

Seems to be the photo was taken before Covid. I don't recall the previous game using photogrammetry nor actually scanning actors or models for the game, so this all seems to actually be a for a sequel.

Kinda surprised if so given the behind the scenes stuff with the previous game but then a new Mad Max film is beginning to start filming next month so maybe WB is going all in?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
What's the behind the scenes stuff from the last game? Thought it was one of the best games last gen.

Wonder if this turned into Rage 2?

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Please be true.

Mad Max was excellent, and it still is a damn fine looker on the consoles. Can only imagine how good a current gen would look like.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This would be great news. While a bit janky I thoroughly enjoyed Mad Max and would love to see a follow up. It ticked all the right boxes and is an example of a licensed game done right.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
To be honest, I really loved the first one and I'm not particularly into the Mad Max franchise, so I can't wait if it's confirmed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
What's the behind the scenes stuff from the last game? Thought it was one of the best games last gen.

Wonder if this turned into Rage 2?

Developers had never seen a Mad Max movie, tried to make Max American and generally were told by WB to Americanize the game so the IP would be more accessible.

Cory Barlog also left the project rumored to be clashing with these changes and the studio tossed out his and George Miller's contributions.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
That first game was surprisingly great. They nailed the feeling of being in the world of the recent movie, while still feeling sort of unique.
Also the driving felt great, and the weather effects were next level insane
JitteryOrneryDiamondbackrattlesnake-size_restricted.gif

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Developers had never seen a Mad Max movie, tried to make Max American and generally were told by WB to Americanize the game so the IP would be more accessible.

Cory Barlog also left the project rumored to be clashing with these changes and the studio tossed out his and George Miller's contributions.

Definitely felt like there was supposed to be more of a survival slant on the game. Remember noticing things that were weren't interactible that looked like they were supposed to be. Less narrative would have been good to. More systems and less narrative would be more Mad Max too

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Whoa. I hope so. The first game was great and if they can just refine and expand on that, I'll be a happy camper.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
If true, between this and Contraband, avalanche has just decided to be the action car game developer for the next few years i guess lmao.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I loved the first game. Super under appreciated game. It was a checklist game for sure, but each little location had a mini story to tell if you looked around. The driving was also incredibly fun.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021

That's kinda funny. Like if you're going to spend years adapting material how hard is it to actually put some time aside to sit down watch the source material, especially when its only like 4 movies, movies that are pretty much the opposite of "dense". Its not like you have to sit down and watch the entire Star Trek franchise.

Plus ignoring contributions from the franchises creator on top of that.

Just lol

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
There's a 120hz mode added on the Xbox Series X with fps boost and it's absolutely top drawer. I'd 100% recommend trying it out.

A sequel would be fantastic and very welcome.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I really enjoyed my time with the first Mad Max. I bought it randomly the Christmas after Fury Road came out and had an absolute blast with it. The only thing I didn't do for the Platinum was all the races.

OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
That's kinda funny. Like if you're going to spend years adapting material how hard is it to actually put some time aside to sit down watch the source material, especially when its only like 4 movies, movies that are pretty much the opposite of "dense". Its not like you have to sit down and watch the entire Star Trek franchise.

Plus ignoring contributions from the franchises creator on top of that.

Just lol

Surprisingly they admitted as much publicly in interviews too. The first E3 showing, Max had an American accent. The devs chalked it up to a language and cultural barrier since they never saw the movies.

The studios co-founder weirdly tried to diminish Barlog having ever been at Avalanche working on Mad Max until Barlog publicly stated he had infact been there at one time solely working on the game before going back to Santa Monica.

He and George Miller crafted out a bigger story that was meant to be the prelude to Fury Road. Avalanche even visited the filming locations during production to photograph the vehicles and record them.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Every time they said 'Dinky [dee]' instead of 'Dinky Di', I winced a bit. (Hell, Max spoke too much for that matter.)

Plus using the Dreamtime as a levelling system seemed quite disrespectful.

If they are doing a sequel, they need to have Australian consultation from the beginning, rather than trying to wedge it in mid-way through development.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Surprisingly they admitted as much publicly in interviews too. The first E3 showing, Max had an American accent. The devs chalked it up to a language and cultural barrier since they never saw the movies.

The studios co-founder weirdly tried to diminish Barlog having ever been at Avalanche working on Mad Max until Barlog publicly stated he had infact been there at one time solely working on the game before going back to Santa Monica.

He and George Miller crafted out a bigger story that was meant to be the prelude to Fury Road. Avalanche even visited the filming locations during production to photograph the vehicles and record them.
Fucking ridiculous. Unless they intentionally didn't watch them, this is just dismal behaviour. It's research, it's part of working on an IP.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
id be down. gameplay wise, mad max 1 was pretty great. hope they put a little more effort in the story though.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
PLEASE BE REAL. As average as the first game was, damn was it a great podcasting game. I 100%'d it on both Playstation and Xbox.

Sep 23, 2018
This excited me to no end when I saw it posted on Reddit.
It's such a oddity of a game and I loved every minute of playing it. Right up until the servers were shut and the plat no longer obtainable. I don't platinum MANY games - just ones I adore or that are relatively easy, but that made me sort of stop playing after the main storyline was done + cleared some portions of the map.

If there is a sequel I will for sure be there day one. I bought the OG on PSN for about ÂŁ4-6 during a sale and feel like I should have paid more given how enjoyable it all was. Vehicular combat is just great, and the Wasteland is often sublime.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed that game, a sequel could be cool! It had the best Arkham style combat IMO, very impactful.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
If they did the 3d modeling shots and all that before COVID, i.e. 2019 or very early 2020, and the game hasn't been announced yet its probably dead.

AT&T tried to shop the entire WB Games label in the time since, has spun the WB portion off into a merger with Discovery, the games section is in a nebulous place as a result and almost all their noteworthy titles have slipped on release targets. If they had more content to talk about at shareholder meetings I find it hard to think they wouldn't have taken the chance.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max was really beautiful but the gameplay loop was the most generic outpost clearing imaginable, not sure if I want more of that.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Amazing news, I really enjoyed the first. Been meaning to go back and mop up the platinum for it for ages.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
If they did the 3d modeling shots and all that before COVID, i.e. 2019 or very early 2020, and the game hasn't been announced yet its probably dead.

AT&T tried to shop the entire WB Games label in the time since, has spun the WB portion off into a merger with Discovery, the games section is in a nebulous place as a result and almost all their noteworthy titles have slipped on release targets. If they had more content to talk about at shareholder meetings I find it hard to think they wouldn't have taken the chance.

Yeah, this seems like the most reasonable take.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Avalanche Studios New York last game was Just Cause 4 in 2018. They said that they are working on their biggest project yet in job postings since then. So Mad Max 2 is not off the table.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Our parent company Warner Brothers, said they are going to do it with or without us.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max was really beautiful but the gameplay loop was the most generic outpost clearing imaginable, not sure if I want more of that.

Yup its like they wanted to have a bunch of survival mechanics like water and gas but couldn't make the rest of the game fun enough to incorporate those frictional features so we got what we got

I really enjoyed that game, a sequel could be cool! It had the best Arkham style combat IMO, very impactful.

IMO it was the worst of the Arkham knockoffs, it was just punch-punch-block-repeat for every single fight. Sleeping Dogs and Mordor were both better, Mad Max was closer to The Amazing Spider-Man

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
yo WHAT NOW?! I absolutely loved that game! Please be truuueeee. The first didn't even get any DLC (for it's DLC menu item on PC at least :( )