• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
www.polygon.com

Madden NFL 21 trailer reveals new gameplay mechanics, release date

Free next-gen upgrade available on PlayStation as well as Xbox

EA also announced Tuesday that through its Dual Entitlement program, it will offer a free upgrade to the next-gen console version of Madden NFL 21 for PS4 customers as well as Xbox One players. As the company quietly revealed earlier this month, it has extended the program's window of availability — now, customers can upgrade from PS4 to PS5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series X anytime before the release of Madden NFL 22, at no additional cost. EA is promising that it will deliver "distinct Madden NFL 21 experiences across current and next generation platforms."

However, there are edge cases where the next-gen upgrade won't work - such as if you buy a PS4 disc of Madden, but own a PS5 Digital Edition, as there is no disc-drive to authenticate your ownership, probably.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Important bit here:

Some edge cases won't be eligible for the promotion: For instance, said EA, "Physical discs cannot currently be used to upgrade to discless consoles." In other words, if you buy a physical copy of the game on PS4, you won't be able to get a free digital copy of the PS5 version if you have the Digital Edition of the PS5, so maybe go digital just to be safe.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Good hopefully more and more companies support crossbuy and smart delivery

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
EA making bad policies but still trying to look like the good guy. How about they let me upgrade my game for free at anytime. This limited offer is bullshit.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they named it "Dual Entitlement"

It feels so slimy lmao like they're blaming us for not wanting to pay $60 twice

"entitlement"

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's any licensing problem (with athletes or music) or if it's just EA doing business

Better than nothing, I guess...

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too much negative for EA doing something positive. If you want the next gen version after the free window I'm sure it will be 2 bucks used at gamestop.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
dual entitlement?

how about you actually improve your sports games and not feel entitled to our money for doing nothing

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any licensing problem (with athletes or music) or if it's just EA doing business

Well they originally only gave a window until the end of the year but people got pissed off about that so they pushed it back to the launch of next year's game. I think it's EA being shitty more than anything.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As Alex Navarro said a little while back: leave it to EA to take the easiest softball lob of a good PR chance and mess it up.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Awful name and yeah, gotta go after them used game sales, old Madden copies still have value before the new one drops.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The official statement I read plus the article in the OP says that there's no word on PS4 to PS5. Is that because they don't know the mechanism yet, or are people just assuming (I mean, it makes sense, I just didn't see it confirmed by EA)

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely get conservative vibes.
Let's be real, in a just world, madden would not drop every year and charge 60 for an incremental update.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
i4yYPUU.png

Awadlx

Mar 15, 2020
Strange. The PR release doesn't mention PlayStation. Only Xbox. Though EA "quietly" extend the "window of availability" and offer to PS4/PS5.

Are they not allowed to mention PlayStation as part of their marketing deal with Microsoft?

Same with Cyberpunk 2077. During a presser CD Projekt Red intimate their upgrade offer will extend to PS5 but they decline to talk about it untill later.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
The official statement I read plus the article in the OP says that there's no word on PS4 to PS5. Is that because they don't know the mechanism yet, or are people just assuming (I mean, it makes sense, I just didn't see it confirmed by EA)
Strange. The PR release doesn't mention PlayStation. Only Xbox. Though EA "quietly" extend the "window of availability" and offer to PS4/PS5.

Are they not allowed to mention PlayStation as part of their marketing deal with Microsoft?
Looks like they just haven't updated the website for the offer, the actual press release on their press site includes PS.
In addition, this year, EA SPORTS will deliver distinct Madden NFL 21 experiences across current and next generation platforms. Through partnerships with Sony and Microsoft, EA SPORTS will offer Dual Entitlement, creating ways for players who purchase either an Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5 to upgrade** their copy of Madden NFL 21 from prior generation Xbox One or PlayStation 4 platforms at no additional cost. This offer will be in place all the way through the Madden NFL 21 season, up to the release of Madden NFL 22, so players can upgrade whenever they first purchase their new console within that period. Offer exceptions apply. Physical discs cannot currently be used to upgrade to discless consoles. Visit ea.com/nextlevel for more information and tune into EA Play Live on June 18 at 4pm PT for more news on the next generation.
news.ea.com

EA SPORTS Reveals Madden NFL 21 With NFL MVP Lamar Jackson on the Cover | EA Press Room

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) unveiled NFL MVP and Baltimore Ravens Quarterback Lamar Jackson on the cover of EA SPORTS Madden NFL 21 across all editions with franchise-first artwork that reflects Jackson’s unique NFL journey.

Oct 25, 2017
"Entitlement" is a common term when talking about digital licensing. Don't be babies about this. You can still criticize EA's decision on valid grounds.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Looks like they just haven't updated the website for the offer, the actual press release on their press site includes PS.

news.ea.com

EA SPORTS Reveals Madden NFL 21 With NFL MVP Lamar Jackson on the Cover | EA Press Room

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) unveiled NFL MVP and Baltimore Ravens Quarterback Lamar Jackson on the cover of EA SPORTS Madden NFL 21 across all editions with franchise-first artwork that reflects Jackson’s unique NFL journey.

They still link to this page:

www.ea.com

Feel Next Level with EA SPORTS™ - EA Official

Experience the next generation of sport with new features to Feel Next Level in FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

During our recent Inside Xbox announce, we included some dates limiting this Dual Entitlement approach. Having listened to our players response we're extending the offer all the way through our Madden 21 season up to the release of Madden NFL 22, so players can upgrade to Madden NFL 21 on Xbox Series X whenever they first purchase their new console within that period.

We'll update with details for other platforms soon.

but it does seem like it's in the works just they have to hammer out the details, so that's good.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They still link to this page:

www.ea.com

Feel Next Level with EA SPORTS™ - EA Official

Experience the next generation of sport with new features to Feel Next Level in FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

but it does seem like it's in the works just they have to hammer out the details, so that's good.
That's what I meant with "they haven't updated the website with the offer". I mean it still says EA play is happening on the 11th as well when it got pushed back to the 18th.

It just got updated with the news release wording.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ah yes, well I guess Ubi did already steal the good name for this with their very similar "Gaming Glutton" promotion for their cross gen titles.

"Entitlement" is a common term when talking about digital licensing. Don't be babies about this. You can still criticize EA's decision on valid grounds.

Common terms != Great marketing terms necessarily

Here, for instance.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah that makes sense, I assume it'll be the same if people want to upgrade from Xbox One to Lockhart (assuming the discless rumour is true).
How Play Anywhere works for those who buy a disc game for Xbox One(or Xbox one X) and wants to play that game in the One S Discless?
That could give a clue for how it will work.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate the phrase "Dual Entitlement".

like wtf lol

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Just sucks how obvious it is that they're refusing to commit to Smart Delivery so that they don't have to offer this with their other games.

EA gonna EA I guess.