• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Anddddd.....my mind is blown!

Here's a little backstory; I've been gaming for most of my 36 years of existence. I've had most every console from NES to current gen's PS4 and Switch. I've been happy with them, for the most part, no major issues.

Flash forward to the past couple of months, where I work with a bunch of developers who talk about their "rigs" all day, their GPUs, RAM, motherboards, yada yada yada. One day I was intrigued and asked them why would I switch from console to PC. After all, it's much more expensive, time consuming, things don't always work, can't game from couch (I had a million and one reasons not to game on PC). They mentioned that yes it is expensive, but once you game at over 100FPS with everything set to Ultra, using the precision of a mouse/kb, you'll change your mind.

Well, on to today, I am a happy owner of a gaming laptop (yes I know it's a laptop but I needed a new one anyway) with an RTX 2070, 16GB ram, Gen9 I7, SSD, 1440p 27" monitor, new gaming chair on order, you name it I've got it now.

Currently playing Gears 5 with everything maxed out and running at around 80FPS is an absolute dream. Looking forward to Borderlands 3 and just the sheer joy of a mouse/kb is a total game changer with any shooter.

Anyone else have a similar story? Should I just sell away my PS4 Pro? Sorry, just wanted to share my experience and get this out there, so happy with my decision!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, on to today, I am a happy owner of a gaming laptop (yes I know it's a laptop but I needed a new one anyway) with an RTX 2070, 16GB ram, Gen9 I7, SSD, 1440p 27" monitor, new gaming chair on order, you name it I've got it now.

Dam son. Upgraded to the big leagues. Enjoy it and be sure to check out the PC community thread.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Getting a high refresh rate monitor really is a "no going back" moment. Even just breaking 80ish fps is so noticable over 60 fps.

May 18, 2018
Nah keep the ps4. When you're done with the honeymoon phase, you'll realize that games sometimes go to console first. Also just flat out exclusives. Also, most multip-plat games work better on consoles.

Buuuut yeah, I never really noticed much between 30 and 60 because I don't have an eye for that until mk 11 put out a 60 fps patch on pc and my God what a difference. Enjoy that buttery goodness.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I switched to gaming primarily on PC nine years ago and it's the best decision I made as a gamer. I remember after gaming exclusively on PC for a few years I played a game on PS3 and it was jarring getting used to the lower framerate again.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, I just made the switch to a proper PC too with a 2070 Super, had only used an OK laptop up until this point. Apart from a few really fucking weird technical problems that I've had to sort out, it's been amazing. Doom at 144fps with keyboard and mouse is absolutely unreal.

Does kind of suck that 60fps is now gonna seem sluggish to me, but necessary evil I guess.

I wouldn't sell the PS4 though, there'll probably be an another exclusive or two worth plying.

OP
OP
The Grizz

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
welcome!

144 hz is so good feeling
Yep the monitor is also 144hz which has also been amazing. Absolutely no blur. Also played Control with ray tracing turned on and saw things, graphically, that I have never seen before. It's the first time in a long time I've been amazed at visuals. Seeing real time reflections in windows and swirl marks on marble floors is jaw dropping.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Welcome and have fun playing game's on high fps. You can use controller on PC for game's better suited for controller and keep the PS4 Pro for it's exclusives and enjoy best of both worlds.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Anddddd.....my mind is blown!

Here's a little backstory; I've been gaming for most of my 36 years of existence. I've had most every console from NES to current gen's PS4 and Switch. I've been happy with them, for the most part, no major issues.

Flash forward to the past couple of months, where I work with a bunch of developers who talk about their "rigs" all day, their GPUs, RAM, motherboards, yada yada yada. One day I was intrigued and asked them why would I switch from console to PC. After all, it's much more expensive, time consuming, things don't always work, can't game from couch (I had a million and one reasons not to game on PC). They mentioned that yes it is expensive, but once you game at over 100FPS with everything set to Ultra, using the precision of a mouse/kb, you'll change your mind.

Currently playing Gears 5 with everything maxed out and running at around 80FPS is an absolute dream. Looking forward to Borderlands 3 and just the sheer joy of a mouse/kb is a total game changer with any shooter.

Anyone else have a similar story? Should I just sell away my PS4 Pro? Sorry, just wanted to share my experience and get this out there, so happy with my decision!
People talk about their MOTHERBOARDS?

Also congrats on the laptop, be careful with overheating!

Last edited:

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I play like 95% of my PC games with a controller. I guess that's the beauty of gaming on PC, you have that choice.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have always had a gaming PC and have always owned all the various consoles. Depending on my mood, I have played one significantly more than the other, but the pendulum always swings back. For me personally, each one has significant pros and cons. I try and play the game on the device that will lean heavily towards the pros when possible.

As always though, people who own the means to play whatever they want regardless of platform continue to be in the best position.

OP
OP
The Grizz

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
People talk about their MOTHERBOARS?

Also congrats on the laptop, be careful with overheating!
It's a pretty nerdy group that I work with, they brag about everything.

Yeah I've been monitoring heat across all 6 CPU cores and my GPU. I hover around 80 and spike to 90 every now and again, but it hasn't been too bad, from what I can tell.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Heh, I play like 95% of my PC games with a controller. I guess that's the beauty of gaming on PC, you have that choice.
the best part is using steam input and just remapping anything to whatever you want, adding chords (inputs on multiple buttons at once), mode shifts (different controller input for vehicles maybe!), overlays for inventory or action management that are super easy to use, or even just using mouse joystick to play old PC games pretty well with a controller. adding gyro aim to anything you want is worth tons just alone.

the possibilities are endless

Nov 9, 2017
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I PC couch game with a 4k OLED set. Maybe you should eventually look into adding a LG C9 or E9 to your setup?

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
If you have a laptop you should be able to game on the couch no problem. Just hook up to TV and use a controller.

I've always had one console from each gen and a gaming PC and every time I try really getting into console gaming the framerate is what bothers me the most, I was so hyped for Ultimate Alliance 3 but I can't handle the framerate. I feel like a snob because I used to rag on my friends that would say "Oh once you play on a 144mhz monitor you'll never go back" and while I can handle a locked 30fps the difference is so noticeable. So yeah there's definitely some hurdles with PC gaming but it can be so much better when it works.

Also strategy games

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's fantastic. I like consoles and computers about equally. I find them complimentary.

My favorite part is having competing stores slangin keys. Makes shopping fun and saves a lot of money. Actually, no... I got a lot more games for my money. I'm pretty sure I spend the same amount of money or more because of that.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
The answer to your question about your PS4 Pro depends entirely on how much you enjoy Sony exclusives.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Grats man. I'd keep the PS4. There are some genres that just have more population for multiplayer goodness (COD, Sports games, Fighting Games). It's getting better on PC tho as Cross Play becomes a more common thing.

The thing I absolutely love about my PC over my consoles is how customizable the experience is. Steam Controller, PS4 Controller, 30 fps or 60 fps, mods for a bunch of things, Reshade, etc etc.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's a pretty nerdy group that I work with, they brag about everything.

Yeah I've been monitoring heat across all 6 CPU cores and my GPU. I hover around 80 and spike to 90 every now and again, but it hasn't been too bad, from what I can tell.
that is the average temp it seems like for most non liquid cooled pcs.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
There is literally no modern multiplatform game that is not perfectly playable on PC with a gamepad.
Well, multiplatform yes by definition. Anyways, using m and k is what I was talking about and lots of games are better suited for it. Shooters, RTS type games, Mario Teaches Typing, etc.

ocha

Nov 9, 2017
I love gaming on PC. I'll still hold on the Playstation for exclusives but Microsoft is great with releasing all their stuff on PC and I can play with my Xbox friends. the Switch also is filling its role nicely. There are times I open Gears 5 or similar options heavy PC games and seemingly have a panic attack with all the options. I'm still used to buy it and run it style console life. But once I see those in the hundreds of frames per second all is forgiven. When I bought DMC5 and RE2: Remake for a steal on release day I can't help smile. Games are so much cheaper. Or free on Epic or Twitch or seemingly everywhere. Gamepass on PC is also awesome. Microsoft is killing it in the hearts and minds department.

Another issue I sorta have is a travel for work. I'm constantly in hotel rooms. So downloading games can take days when I'm not home. And my options on upgrading are more limited because I limited to gaming laptops. PC gaming still is the way to go though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not having to grab your older consoles every single time is wonderful and it saves space. Dump your games, grab Retroarch, use Playnite/Launchbox with it, or follow the tutorials to add the games to Steam so you can launch them all with a click of a button, and enjoy the fact that you can hot swap between Gears and Yoshi's Island.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I just made the switch to a proper PC too with a 2070 Super, had only used an OK laptop up until this point. Apart from a few really fucking weird technical problems that I've had to sort out, it's been amazing. Doom at 144fps with keyboard and mouse is absolutely unreal.

Does kind of suck that 60fps is now gonna seem sluggish to me, but necessary evil I guess.

I wouldn't sell the PS4 though, there'll probably be an another exclusive or two worth plying.

Heh you should try a 120/144hz ultrawide. Wow is all I'll say.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gaming is awesome.

21:9 is really an upgrade if it's working.

But pc gaming also has deep problems. Take a gander into redit or the steam forums. Pages and pages of problems. Too many working parts from too many places. I personally don't have problems 7/10 times but sometimes it's truly fucking bonkers.

Console gaming has its perks (mostly exclusive games) and pc gaming has its perks.

Wouldn't want to stop enjoying both sides.