• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly really appreciate Masahiro Ito sharing insight on various Silent Hill things, it's all pretty interesting what he's shared over the years. Sometimes you can kinda' space on what inspired you artistically years ago until something triggers back the memory (speaking from personal experience, but also know this is hardly a rare sentiment that some things that inspired you on certain works can be lost from memory by time), and it seems that's what's happened with Ito as he's recalled that Madonna's "Nothing really matters" music video was one of the inspirations for him on Silent Hill 2. As he was both the art director and lead creature designer on Silent Hill 2, he had a lot to do with SH2's atmosphere, and honestly this is a sorta' thing that once he says it and you watch it within that context, you can see the inspiration.

I debated if this was thread worthy, but at the very least it's interesting, so I'm curious what Era thinks. I also am curious if people on Era know some other works that inspired Silent Hill 2 that is known in official capacity, such as David Lynch's "Blue Velvet"?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great example of why artists should seek inspiration outside of their medium/genre/etc

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
The otherwise completely innapropriate influences on Silent Hill continues to be fascinating. This is at least more on brand then Kindergarden Cop.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I guess you could say SH2 was

like a version

of Madonna
IncomparableSourArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
I see it. The way she moved down that hallway in the video has always been unsettling in the best way.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Madonna's acting career was truly horrifying, i can see it

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legends supporting legends wow. Amazing song and video. That whole album is great.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actually watched the video but just dropping in to say this is an amazing song and album

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I'd give credit to Johan Renck more than Madonna. He also did Pass This On by The Knife which I always liked.

Madonna was solely responsible for the video concept (based on a novel she was obsessed with at the time) and did her own choreography but sure give all the credit to the dude

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Here's another fun fact about Madonna and horror games of the time. Shortly after it came out, she bought the movie rights for Parasite Eve intending to produce a movie that she would star in. Never happened. Probably for the best.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Cool tweet. Awesome video.
I can see why it would have inspired some of the shit that goes down in a SH game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm sure the director had nothing to do with it.

I'm sure they did but frankly people give a lot of undue wholsale credit to specific works to directors in general, there's a lot of moving parts there they didn't have a hand in such as production design, and with music videos specifically many directors (even seasoned ones) are hired on to execute other people's visions and ideas, case in point the Madonna video. Not everyone is some constant hands on type like Michel Gondry wrt music videos. But yes obviously a specific director can help realize someone else's vision better than others...that's part of why they're there :)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because Silent Hill is old and and is trying really hard to make you uncomfortable?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
looked at the thread title and thought wtf then i quickly realized it was probably referring to her Ray of Light stuff

that was a great album, shame it was a creative one-off in her career