• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

About project Rapsody

This new IP would become Rhapsody, a game about subterfuge in 1980s Berlin. You'd play as a Russian Jew whose parents had been murdered in a Soviet labor camp. He'd be rescued by Americans, then recruited to join a spy organization called Rhapsody. "It was hitting a lot of the beats we were good at," said one person on the project. Like Mafia III, this game would put you in the shoes of someone who was treated as subhuman by the people around him and thought largely in terms of vengeance. "He's doing missions, trying to save the world and get revenge on whoever killed his parents, trying to decide between the personal good and the public good."

One source compared it to the spy movie Kingsman, "without the really goofy shit." You'd equip a variety of gadgets and sneak around Berlin, spying on enemies and doing all sorts of missions for your organization. Hangar 13 prototyped mechanics like a spy car, which you'd use to cross the border checkpoint between East and West Germany. Your inventory of items for any given mission might be limited to what you could smuggle in the car

kotaku.com

How The Makers Of Mafia III Lost Their Way

In mid-2016, a few months before the release of their first game, Mafia III, the developers at Hangar 13 in Novato, California gathered for an all-hands meeting. There, according to two people in attendance, Christoph Hartmann, president of the game’s publisher, 2K, told employees that their...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Read about the game before and it seems like something I'd really want to play. Bummer it didn't come through.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
That sounds exceptional. The kind of stuff that would bring the media of video games a whole lot forward.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It was sad to read how kinda serious pitch became some silly superhero game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That is a lot geometry data just to drop into unrelated title, I guess someone really wanted this out there.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks. I'm Jewish and it would've been nice to have more Jewish representation in games.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Really fucking wild! Look at that massive map, I wonder whoever found it - how long it would take to traverse from one side to the other. I hope Mafia 1 is a success for Hangar 13 and then they have the funding and the support to create their new IP, even if Rhapsody got cancelled. Their atmosphere and sound design are phenomenal, really loved so much about Mafia III.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Really fucking wild! Look at that massive map, I wonder whoever found it - how long it would take to traverse from one side to the other. I hope Mafia 1 is a success for Hangar 13 and then they have the funding and the support to create their new IP, even if Rhapsody got cancelled. Their atmosphere and sound design are phenomenal, really loved so much about Mafia III.

They are working on new IP but it is less serious than their other projects.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow, I had never heard about Rhapsody, sounded interesting.

Shame spy games aren't more of a thing for some reason.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
This had the potential to be amazing. It's a shame it got canceled.
I really like Hangar 13 creative direction, they always come up with cool and exciting concepts (except the superhero thing).

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More jewish representation sounds cool, Murdered By The Evil Soviets [a stereotype of the east that has its own antisemitic baggage] (as if there weren't other more likely causes of death for somebody's jewish family at the time) kinda takes the wind out of it though.

Oct 25, 2017
How did this end up in the files of another game of theirs? The map is pretty big so it might take a lot of disk space and be an unnecessary download.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
For everyone saying the map is big - it's a 1:1 recreation with simple masses over a satellite photo. The first thing that gets made before figuring out how to compress it into something fun to move around, and at the detail level shown might be around 10mb in size total.
It would not have stayed like that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
More jewish representation sounds cool, Murdered By The Evil Soviets [a stereotype of the east that has its own antisemitic baggage] (as if there weren't other more likely causes of death for somebody's jewish family at the time) kinda takes the wind out of it though.
You say that as if Soviet purges and deadly state-sponsored antisematisim weren't a fact of life when this character would have been growing up.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Just wondering, Hanger 13's 2K Czech team is working on the Mafia I remake, with Hanger 13 UK on Mafia IV?

Nice, always interesting to see cut content and plans.

According to Jason they are not working on Mafia IV but there is too much buzz around Mafia IV that it's not in some kind of development.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You say that as if Soviet purges and deadly state-sponsored antisematisim weren't a fact of life when this character would have been growing up.

Of course, but it seems contrived for the timeline (it's in the 80s, right? Who was dying in the gulags when he was a kid? And stalin had been dead for 30+ years, the most vicious and directed antisemitism was long over) and propping up a jewish hero to fight for the usa against a (bad example of a) ideology that was founded by jewish people and the target of a ton of western antisemitism feels kinda off to me.