Oct 25, 2017
MafiEraSeason24.png

Thank you to Sawneeks for the banner!​
Whether you've played Town of Salem, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, traditional Mafia, have always had an interest, or just thought this thread looked interesting - welcome! Our forum mafia community is always open to new players and we love seeing new faces join our games. Go ahead and introduce yourself in this thread and we'll help get you in a game as soon as we can!

What's mafia?

Mafia, or Werewolf, is a secretively team-based "whodunnit?" deception—elimination game played over consecutive rounds of DAY and NIGHT. Two (2) teams/Alignments, "Town" & "Mafia," compete to be the last faction alive or in majority.

Each Town-aligned player starts the game not knowing who else is Town, and don't know who's Mafia...
...but all Mafia-aligned players, start the game knowing the identities of their Mafia teammates.

During the DAY, all players are allowed to talk with each other in the game-thread, to vote out one (1) player whom they suspect is Mafia.
A DAY typically lasts for 48hrs real-time.
Town wins once all the Mafia are eliminated.

But during the NIGHT; talking is banned, except for the Mafia who can still whisper together in a private chat and can KILL one (1) player.
A NIGHT typically lasts for 24hrs real-time.
Mafia wins once they outnumber Town.

However, survival's not off charisma alone. Granted by the game's Host before beginning, everybody has a "Role" to play, and some of them have Powers: special abilities that may help reveal truths, or work to support lies!

Want to see an example of a game? Check some out HERE!
Signing up

Playing a game with us is very simple: just fill out the form below and sign up for our website! New players always get priority!

Name | Short name for votes (if applicable)
pronouns
timezone (in UTC)

Click the image to go to our website where we host spectator chats, secret game chats, and more!
Unless stated otherwise, all our games are hosted on Era.

YAEMexB.png

A Mafia game is a significant time commitment. Our games can take about a month to play, and you'll be expected to post and contribute to the ongoing discussion to help your team win. And don't forget to follow ResetEra's ToS and Member Etiquette. Though this is a game about lies and deception and things can get heated, this is just a game at the end of the day and we're all here to have fun.

But most importantly, welcome! Through various games, gambits, jokes, wins, losses, upsets, betrayals and triumphs we have formed a community of individuals who have become something like a family. We hope you will join us in our love of this game and give it a shot. You never know what might happen.

⊱≺ ⛯ ≻⊰

The MafiEra Team (Lokiduck, CaptainNuevo, RetroMG, TheChuggernaut, and Fireblend)​

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
7wtcjoS.png

Shark Movie Mafia
DhuOYQG.png

Gamerunners: A Wild Shark Appears and Natiko
Reviewer: Faddy
Gamewatchers: TBA
Players: 14
Setup: Bastard and role madness

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs
Coming soon to a forum near you, A Wild Shark Appears and Natiko present Shark Movie Mafia! A small game that features flavor from a wide variety of movies. Specifically, you guessed it, shark movies.

There will be water, there will be blood, some blood will probably get in the water. Oh, and there will be sharks. Lots of sharks. And surprises! And surprise sharks!

So what are you waiting for? Grab your favorite movie snacks and sign up today for this 14 player, bastard complexity mafia game! We won't bite 🦈

To sign up, please post:
  • preferred short name for voting (if applicable)
  • pronouns
  • timezone in UTC
upcminggames.png

1. Scott Pilgrim Mafia, by Z-Beat
  2. Love Boat: The Spin Off Mafia, by The Bear
Note these are subject to change at any point.
Olb8Ksj.png

List of Seasons 1 - 9 games
List of Seasons 10 - 21 games

Special thanks to all team members who helped during the previous season and our wonderful gamerunners for creating, and running, those games! Thank you:

• Fanto
  • FateShirou
  • lokiduck
  • Verelios
  • Randomless
  • Fireblend
  • Geno
  • and various facilitators and helpers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017

information/resources

Interested in running your own Mafia game? Click here for more info!
⊱≺ ⛯ ≻⊰
Want to know how many games you've won or don't know a certain mafia term?
Check out our game resources for that and more!

MafiEra R&D
Fireblend has created a set of tools to help streamline the forum mafia experience for those who'd like to use them! (Note: the vote tool is required for use in games.)

• MafiEra Vote Tool, a website that allows you to see a game's current post and vote counts, and other features like checking in which phase a player left the game, who were the winners, and more!
  • Vote Tool userscript (Era|OM) - allows the user to see the current game's vote count at the top and bottom of a page.
  • Isolating Posts (ISO) userscript - allows the user to search all posts from a single player with a handy button.
  • PlayerInfo userscript - allows the user to access the player list at any time in the reply box.
Mafia Championships
Beginning in 2016 our community has been invited to the annual Mafia Championships hosted by Mafia Universe. Over 225 different forum mafia communities have participated in this event with hundreds of different players over the years. Representing us in these games are:

• Sorian, who played in season 3, game 5; then the Final Game and got 4th place!
  • Ty4on and Natiko played in season 4, game 8!
  • Dr. Monkey with CaptainNuevo as a back-up! Monkey has played in Season 5, Game 7, in Wildcard Game 2, and in the finals!
  • Faddy played in season 6, game 4!
  • Dr. Monkey played season 7 with TheChuggernaut as back-up! Monkey played all the way to the Finals!
  • Maolfunction represented the community in season 8!
  • MrHedin played this year!
Mentorship Program
For new and returning players who would like some assistance, we offer a mentorship program. These mentors can not play the game for you or answer direct questions such as 'who should I vote for?' but can help with mafia terminology, general strategy, and other minor questions. If you are interested in requesting a mentor, please contact your gamerunner.

For veteran players, if you would like to offer your assistance to the mentorship program please contact a facilitator, or let us know in this thread.

A Place To Vent
Mafia can be stressful. We would like to remind everyone that if you're feeling angry, overwhelmed, or singled out, reach out to a gamerunner. Gamerunners and game watchers can offer you a private space on Outer Mafia to vent or help in some other way. Don't let mafia ruin your day. Help yourself and help our community by letting a facilitator know if you need some help.

MafiEra Hangouts
Discord: Post in this thread or PM a member of the Discord Team for an invite!
Steam: OuterMafia, managed by Roytheone.
PSN: OuterMafia, managed by RetroMG.
MafiEra's Monthly Book Club, hosted by Flatearthpandas and Fireblend. Book selection, voting, and discussion happen on Discord. Come read with us!

leaders

Facilitators
Responsible for leading all teams and representing the community.
  • CaptainNuevo
  • Fireblend
  • lokiduck
  • TheChuggernaut
  • RetroMG, aka dad

Discord Team
Responsible for keeping peace in Discord, creating and removing rooms as needed, and giving and revoking access to private rooms.
  • Barrylocke
  • CaptainNuevo
  • Fireblend
  • Roytheone
  • Rynam
  • Stantagonist
Outer Mafia Team
Responsible for creating forum boards and giving access to them.
  • A Wild Ambulance Appears
  • RetroMG
  • Sorian
  • TheChuggernaut
  • Verelios
  • MrHedin
Review Team
Responsible for receiving new Mafia game submissions and coordinating gamerunners and reviewers to get games ready to run.
  • Aeleus
  • Fanto
  • Lokiduck
  • Roytheone
Scheduling Team
Responsible for scheduling games, creating rosters, and keeping analytics.
  • Aeleus
  • cabot
  • Donniewahlberg
  • Fireblend
  • Verelios
  • Hawthorn

Last edited:

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
whew I hope everyone has suitably recovered.

but boy does it smell in here

Oct 25, 2017
Corrik
He/him
UTC -5 I think

Welcome Corrik! Are you familiar with mafia or is this your first time? If you're totally new or would just like one, we can hook you up with a mentor who can clarify rules and stuff for you during the game :)

Also I think this would be a good time to tag Jam as promised, this is a normal rules game and new player friendly if you're still interested and have time!

Corrik

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2022
Welcome Corrik! Are you familiar with mafia or is this your first time? If you're totally new or would just like one, we can hook you up with a mentor who can clarify rules and stuff for you during the game :)

Also I think this would be a good time to tag Jam as promised, this is a normal rules game and new player friendly if you're still interested and have time!
I'll be fine without a mentor. Thanks for offering!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Also jeez, where is everyone? Ghost town thread in here lol.

I reviewed Scott Pilgrim Mafia, and I can guarantee you all that Z-Beat has a mega-hit on his hands here folks! You don't want to miss this one! Sign up!

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you! Tell you what I'll give it a go, should have enough time to contribute accordingly. Happy to have a mentor too, at least at the start.

Jam
He/Him
UTC

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
TheChuggernaut you should post the link to the new OT in the old OT, in case there's people following that thread that weren't following the review thread too.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I subbed to the thread but I'm not ready for mafia yet so I can't play this round.

I could mentor, also I think all noobs should be automatically assigned a mentor, because people don't know what they need when they've never tried a thing.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Did everyone just decide to retire after that last Geno game?

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
Sign ups seem a bit slow on this one. Would people be more interested if we ran one of the smaller games first or are people just a bit burnt out right now?

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I want to play, but have a vacation at the end of February. I also somehow missed the new thread and signups

but I really do want to play. just not sure I have the time.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unfortunately just really busy the next few weeks and can't squirrel away the time to play a mafia game right now, otherwise I'd sign up. Scott Pilgrim is pretty neat, basically a collection of nerd references, so if you're not familiar with it specifically you'll probably still be familiar with most of it regardless lol.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I was considering taking a time out after the big Geno game, but band rehearsals haven't picked up yet, so a normal game should fit in. I wouldn't be unhappy if it was also a smaller game.

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so we've had enough people say they're kind of busy right now so we're going to run a mini game before we run Scott Pilgrim.

Life Is Strange True Colors

up.png

Gamerunner: Fanto
Players: 9
Type: Open Setup NewD3
Setup
To sign up, please post:
  • preferred short name for voting (if applicable)
  • pronouns
  • timezone in UTC
Corrik Jam Funky Dude Sparks jman1954goat *Splinter SalvaPot darkside malus The Wizard Tagging the people who signed up for the last game.