• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
How often do you run into intentional slow players? I've been seeing it a lot more lately. People who are clearly just sitting and waiting until the last second to resolve or pass.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How often do you run into intentional slow players? I've been seeing it a lot more lately. People who are clearly just sitting and waiting until the last second to resolve or pass.

Not as often as I used to, thankfully. Supposedly you're able to report them but I've heard no indication about whether anything is actually done about it.

When it happens these days it's mostly because of a connection issue, and I find myself reconnecting when the timer burns low. Obviously if this is happening every turn then that's probably not what's happening.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's not too often for me. I just assume people are playing while watching Netflix or a stream.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's disconnecting or not paying attention, but if it happens every turn to the very last tick of the rope, then yeah it's a jerk. :( It was rampant in Hearthstone.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
this past week i ve seen disconections and upon reconnect i get a waiting message that has gone up to 2 minutes before i get reconnected, on one ocassion went over 3 minutes and i just closed the client.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, been one game off diamond with aristocrats all day. Then loss 2 in a row now I'm back to no bars. Think I'm gonna have to suck it up and play Sultai midrange or something for this tier....

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Can you get demoted from a rank? I was thinking go full grind to reach at least gold i am starting level 2 silver.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
You can lose tiers but not gold to silver. There's also "tier protection" for each where you can lose a couple games when at a new tier before ranking back down.
good to know, I moved one more tier in silver. will try to reach gold tomorrow after I farm the daily gold/uncommons in case I open something useful

Oct 25, 2017
Won another 3 (maybe it was 4) games in draft. It's so addicting!

How is Day 9 at Arena? I watched this whole video and really like his personality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsxIflRBAk

The biggest problem i'm running into with MTG+YouTube is i'm starting to get a bunch of alt-right garbage recommendations.
It's weird, that seems to happen no matter what. You can start looking up Smash Brothers tutorial videos and next thing you know, your suggestions are half alt-right neonazi nutjobs. It's almost like YouTube is okay with such people.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

How is Day 9 at Arena? I watched this whole video and really like his personality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsxIflRBAk

The biggest problem i'm running into with MTG+YouTube is i'm starting to get a bunch of alt-right garbage recommendations.

Day9 is a great dude, and pretty fun to watch, but he's definitely still relatively new to Magic. He's pretty smart, so he's picking it up, but he makes a lot of choices that seem sub optimal to me. There are certainly people that have been playing Magic a much much longer time that one could watch if they really wanted to learn, but as entertainment he's pretty great.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm really looking forward to rotation. It's probably just because I play so much, but I really feel like I need a new meta.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, that seems to happen no matter what. You can start looking up Smash Brothers tutorial videos and next thing you know, your suggestions are half alt-right neonazi nutjobs. It's almost like YouTube is okay with such people.
Yeah, I just wish they weren't Magic related. I'll start watching a video and 3 minutes in the dude is just going off about the sjw agenda or whatever they kick and scream about.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm really looking forward to rotation. It's probably just because I play so much, but I really feel like I need a new meta.

Yeah I think the cracks are showing in standard yet again. I was interested in the set for all of a week, I don't even know what I'm waiting for now that ranked bo3 is here, I never play it anyway so I guess it wasn't that.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Day9 is a great dude, and pretty fun to watch, but he's definitely still relatively new to Magic. He's pretty smart, so he's picking it up, but he makes a lot of choices that seem sub optimal to me. There are certainly people that have been playing Magic a much much longer time that one could watch if they really wanted to learn, but as entertainment he's pretty great.

He's pretty open to receiving the criticisms for misplays though. It's honestly kinda nice to see those things that other streamers would just gloss over. I've been really enjoying him, MegaMogwai, and Jeff Hoogland.

edit; and SaffronOlive

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The big ones to avoid are The Quartering/Unsleeved, Rogue Deckbuilder, MTG Lion, and I think Desolator Magic?

There are some "edgier" ones that aren't alt-right, or even alt-right adjacent, that some people tend to avoid, like Alpha Investments. (I actually really love his videos, but he often times gets too hung up on the lack of horn-dog art in nuMagic, but even then it's mostly half-serious. I trust he's not actually malicious as he's close friends with many of the harder left-leaning creators.)

Safe bets are The Command Zone, Tolarian Community College, Nizzahon Magic, Rhystic Studies, and Strictly Better MTG.

There are tons of magic YouTubers though, and even more Twitch and eSports personalities that are great, but these are just the ones that I know and like.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big ones to avoid are The Quartering/Unsleeved, Rogue Deckbuilder, MTG Lion, and I think Desolator Magic?

There are some "edgier" ones that aren't alt-right, or even alt-right adjacent, that some people tend to avoid, like Alpha Investments. (I actually really love his videos, but he often times gets too hung up on the lack of horn-dog art in nuMagic, but even then it's mostly half-serious. I trust he's not actually malicious as he's close friends with many of the harder left-leaning creators.)

Safe bets are The Command Zone, Tolarian Community College, Nizzahon Magic, Rhystic Studies, and Strictly Better MTG.

There are tons of magic YouTubers though, and even more Twitch and eSports personalities that are great, but these are just the ones that I know and like.
Thanks! I watch Alpha Investments (sharing the same exact feelings as you), Tolarian, Good Luck High Five and now Day 9. Oh and openboosters. I'll be sure to sub to the others!

AzVal

May 7, 2018
The only youtubers I can stand are Tolarian Community College and Rhistic studies, I am a hardcore commander player and cant stand much of the Commander zone, sometimes they seem too "shilly". Even from TCC I avoid some of the stuff (mainly roleplaying with coplayers, although he seems to do it with certain taste), I cant stand bufoonery or flexing, so no Rudy/AlphaInvestment and lets not start with boogie althought I ignore if he still does things MTG related.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Day 9 is just all around great. He limits his twitch chat to subs only during his broadcasts which can be annoying, but they're all so positive and supportive I actually don't mind. Despite what was said above, he's not a beginner at MtG. In fact he hosted a MtG show on Geek&Sundry called Spellslingers. He does slip up sometimes but that's often because he's trying to engage with his chat and it splits his focus. But he ranked pretty high in mythic and gets praised by other MtG streamers consistently, so don't sleep on him.

Oct 25, 2017

YouTube is a microcosm of everything amazing and terrible about the internet. On the one hand, you can learn about any topic you ever wanted and entirety of human knowledge is at your fingertips. On the other hand, you get a platform for every hateful or anti-intellectual group to spew their nonsense. The ethics of how to manage YouTube are not terribly simple (in that I'm not sure I want Google to be the sole arbiter of what's "real" and "fake" or to be responsible for dilineating between what's "edgy" and what's hateful) but it's clear YouTube's current approach sucks.

And as for why MTG content tends to attract alt-righties: it's easy to forget with the two semi-recent explosions in popularity (after Duels and after Arena) that the game was basically the realm of white dudes and basement dwellers. It's so much more inclusive than its ever been and Wizards is super cool and progressive, but it doesn't really surprise me that there's a thread between the Magic community and the alt-right. And I'd say I'm surprised the unsleeved guy is still making content but I bet being banned by WotC gave him a bigger platform in that foul corner of the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a really weird glitch where sometimes I end up with the wrong avatar. I wonder if it's related to connection issues or long queue times.

The responsiveness improvements seemed great, so it's a real shame that connection problems have become so bad since the patch.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
In Ravnica Limited, would you first pick a Crackling Drake? I got one first and 2nd pick, but building a deck around it was pretty hard. End up splashing white for more removal and went 4-3

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In Ravnica Limited, would you first pick a Crackling Drake? I got one first and 2nd pick, but building a deck around it was pretty hard. End up splashing white for more removal and went 4-3

I think there are a lot of possible packs where that'd be a good first pick. You don't need *that* many spells for it to be good. A 4 mana 2/4 flier that draws you a card is pretty great in limited, and it can become way better than that. Just prioritize a bit of fixing to make it more likely to be castable.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I think there are a lot of possible packs where that'd be a good first pick. You don't need *that* many spells for it to be good. A 4 mana 2/4 flier that draws you a card is pretty great in limited, and it can become way better than that. Just prioritize a bit of fixing to make it more likely to be castable.

Well its more the fact that it ties you into Izzet pretty heavily, and I'm not sure doing that pack 1 pick 1 is a good idea, since its my first ravnica draft. I picked them so I can run Izzet drakes in constructed, and gumming up the ground and winning with fliers is usually an ok strategy in Limited. Convoke is a pain to deal with though, lost to that 7/5 wurm with hexproof pretty often.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
There are so many playables in Guilds draft that it's fine to speculate on that cycle of uncommons p1p1 given their power level. The corollary is you have to accept that there's a high chance you won't play them and be willing to move off of them pretty quickly if you're getting passed stuff in other colors.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a really weird glitch where sometimes I end up with the wrong avatar. I wonder if it's related to connection issues or long queue times.

The responsiveness improvements seemed great, so it's a real shame that connection problems have become so bad since the patch.

So my account seemed to forget my Avatar after the singleton event. So I just get a random avatar. I haven't set it back cause I like the random. Maybe check your profile and re select it?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well its more the fact that it ties you into Izzet pretty heavily, and I'm not sure doing that pack 1 pick 1 is a good idea, since its my first ravnica draft. I picked them so I can run Izzet drakes in constructed, and gumming up the ground and winning with fliers is usually an ok strategy in Limited. Convoke is a pain to deal with though, lost to that 7/5 wurm with hexproof pretty often.
You are not comitting to anything P1P1.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I must be ranking up to the cream of the crop since matchmaking is taking so long.

It's just plat 3, what's going on WotC?

Oct 25, 2017
I must be ranking up to the cream of the crop since matchmaking is taking so long.

It's just plat 3, what's going on WotC?
Matchmaking in casual was taking like 45-60 seconds today which is quite bad compared to usual. I don't know if it's a bug or people are actually stopping playing. I've gotten addicted to a ton of multiplayer games over the years, and long game / queue times have been the death knell of several games for me I feel like.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
The increase was so sudden, I think it must be a bug on their end. At least, I desperately hope so.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Yay moved to Gold with a very incomplete Sultai!

Yeah its true that is taking more time to find matches.....

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Second game today where an opponent playing against my Esper Control forced me to play out the tedious process of killing them off long after I exiled everything they had and they had zero chance to win. Don't really know what to make of that. I guess it's just spite?

EDIT: Also I just lost to a fucking land destruction deck and I want to die now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Second game today where an opponent playing against my Esper Control forced me to play out the tedious process of killing them off long after I exiled everything they had and they had zero chance to win. Don't really know what to make of that. I guess it's just spite?
Pretty much, that's one of the absolute most despicably toxic play patterns in the game, so it only seems fair if anyone running it has to suffer through the entire time-wasting process as well.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pretty much, that's one of the absolute most despicably toxic play patterns in the game, so it only seems fair if anyone running it has to suffer through the entire time-wasting process as well.
"Despicably toxic", really?

I don't like it when people run Teferi and no other win con, but I have Chromium in my deck for the beatdown, and it just happened to be the literal last card in my library, so I had to wait it out. I would have won quicker if I could.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Also I just lost to a fucking land destruction deck and I want to die now.
Were you at least showing a win condition? I've forced stupid (sorry) control decks to at least show me that they ACTUALLY have the game now and again in the past.

But yes, spite is a very real option because that deck is just super unfun to play against and there's a good chance it riled your opponent.

Oct 25, 2017
"Despicably toxic", really?

I don't like it when people run Teferi and no other win con, but I have Chromium in my deck for the beatdown, and it just happened to be the literal last card in my library, so I had to wait it out. I would have won quicker if I could.
I don't do what you described myself, but it seems a pretty fair reaction to that deck to me. :P

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Were you at least showing a win condition? I've forced stupid (sorry) control decks to at least show me that they ACTUALLY have the game now and again in the past.

But yes, spite is a very real option because that deck is just super unfun to play against and there's a good chance it riled your opponent.
Yes, he had a lot of life gain in his deck but made me beat him down over like 10 turns with Chromium. So it was just spite.