• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This Temur Reclamation deck is insanely good. I'm really enjoying it. Fits my playstyle very well. Feels a bit slimey but I'll live. And I can play 3 games in the time it took me to play one Esper control game.
The one Ultron linked? Are you playing casual / ranked / best-of-1/ best-of-3?

I just spell pierce'd a wilderness reclamation and got an instant surrender, which felt amazing.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This Temur Reclamation deck is insanely good. I'm really enjoying it. Fits my playstyle very well. Feels a bit slimey but I'll live. And I can play 3 games in the time it took me to play one Esper control game.

Yeah, I played it a lot more tonight, taking it 4-2 through a Traditional Constructed event, and then some ranked play, and it's super fun. And also seems to have plenty of game vs most decks. I really like having the Expansion half of Explosion in there, since it can do a lot of work defending your spells vs counters, copying draw spells, or other random things that come up. And the joy of Niv Mizzet + Explosion, even for a reasonable amount like 4 or 5, cannot be overstated.

I definitely lost some games doing some dumb stuff and forgot SO MANY times to set the stop in the end step that lets you float mana with Reclamation. I wish I could put a dice on my digital deck to remind myself of this. I'm at least trying to always set a beginning turn stop as a sort of "did you set your end of turn stop" reminder. But if you don't have it set when Reclamation is resolving it might be too late. Which is super annoying, so that got me a lot. Sure would be nice if you could just set a permanent stop...

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I always think I'm being clever putting in stops to be able to draw at the end of enemy turn, only to realize I played the wrong land/tapped out of blue and my opt just hangs out doing nothing.

Izzet drakes is pretty fly. I ended up collecting pretty much the whole deck by accident, and it's sweet to be able to pump up 10 power with a pair of drakes just by cycling/using some removal on the board. Most games end up with opponents going from 10 to zero. I don't understand spell pierce though, and I feel like I'm using it wrong. Everytime I have it, I wish I had just rolled a little slower and had a negate instead. Is it really good enough just to make someone use two extra mana? Or is it just a cheap way to pump the drakes?

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
you don't use spell pierce when they can pay the 2 mana, you use it to lock them out of their turn. it's amazing early game tempo. late game just try to squeeze it in where your opponent can't play something. that and quench can like, basically win games in the first 3 turns so yes, it's awesome if you want to win quickly

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy Izzet Drakes. Spell Pierce is the ultimate tempo play. There's no better feeling than spell piercing a Teferi on turn 5.

Oct 28, 2017
The one Ultron linked? Are you playing casual / ranked / best-of-1/ best-of-3?

I just spell pierce'd a wilderness reclamation and got an instant surrender, which felt amazing.

Not that exact one. Similar but I tweaked a few cards here and there. Mainly to get rid of a bit of anti-aggro as I found I rarely use it in Esper. Also the sideboard.

Yeah, I played it a lot more tonight, taking it 4-2 through a Traditional Constructed event, and then some ranked play, and it's super fun. And also seems to have plenty of game vs most decks. I really like having the Expansion half of Explosion in there, since it can do a lot of work defending your spells vs counters, copying draw spells, or other random things that come up. And the joy of Niv Mizzet + Explosion, even for a reasonable amount like 4 or 5, cannot be overstated.

I definitely lost some games doing some dumb stuff and forgot SO MANY times to set the stop in the end step that lets you float mana with Reclamation. I wish I could put a dice on my digital deck to remind myself of this. I'm at least trying to always set a beginning turn stop as a sort of "did you set your end of turn stop" reminder. But if you don't have it set when Reclamation is resolving it might be too late. Which is super annoying, so that got me a lot. Sure would be nice if you could just set a permanent stop...

Yeah I lost two games for this reason. Plus another where I chose X for the wrong value, then timed out when I went to redo and it hit my opponent for the draw which was...lol.

Once you get used to it I think it'll be very strong.

Oct 25, 2017
Not that exact one. Similar but I tweaked a few cards here and there. Mainly to get rid of a bit of anti-aggro as I found I rarely use it in Esper. Also the sideboard.

Yeah I lost two games for this reason. Plus another where I chose X for the wrong value, then timed out when I went to redo and it hit my opponent for the draw which was...lol.

Once you get used to it I think it'll be very strong.
Ah, I'm still hunting an elusive gold 3 best-of-1 deck. I played red extensively and have been testing blue but nothing has been reliable enough yet.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I'm still hunting an elusive gold 3 best-of-1 deck. I played red extensively and have been testing blue but nothing has been reliable enough yet.

I played a bit of Izzet Drakes that I modified a little for Bo1 last season. Seemed solid. Basically the Bo3 list that's everywhere with room made for 2 mainboard NivMizzets. It felt good against RDW and MonoU iirc.

I was pretty successful in Gold with my old (pre Ravnica Allegiance) WW which I digged up due to a quest.

Someone hit Mythic #1 in Bo1 with a WW deck. I guess the meta could be a bit different in Gold v Mythic, but it's definitely still a strong deck in Bo1.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I actually reached gold 2 just barely, for the first time today. I started using the gruul deck again for a quest but put in a couple more expensive dual lands so maybe that helped.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Kaya is such a fun card. Really good job in this set in general with planeswalkers not just being "+1 draw a card, - 3 kill a thing".

Too bad about Nexus of Fate and Wilderness Reclamation still making things miserable for everyone involved.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
you don't use spell pierce when they can pay the 2 mana, you use it to lock them out of their turn. it's amazing early game tempo. late game just try to squeeze it in where your opponent can't play something. that and quench can like, basically win games in the first 3 turns so yes, it's awesome if you want to win quickly

Hmm, thinking about it I might be trying to play out drakes too fast to get on the board. Spell pierce def seems like the value drops after 3 then pumps back up after 5-6 when someone is trying to resolve something important. I have a habit to try an put an enigma on 3, crackling on 4, and they could probably wait an extra turn or 2 without much problem so I could float some mana.

Anyone know if the challenger decks would include an arena code like other products do? Or are they sticktly a paper product?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, thinking about it I might be trying to play out drakes too fast to get on the board. Spell pierce def seems like the value drops after 3 then pumps back up after 5-6 when someone is trying to resolve something important. I have a habit to try an put an enigma on 3, crackling on 4, and they could probably wait an extra turn or 2 without much problem so I could float some mana.

Waiting a turn to resolve a Drake so that you have a blue open for Pierce can be pretty solid if you know the deck you're playing against has important spells they want to resolve on curve at 4 or 5 mana. If you can Spell Pierce a Vivien or Eldest Reborn that they were planning to use to kill your Drake your chances to win that game just went up a lot. But if they have Lava Coils instead (and you don't have Dive Down) just get it out there and make them have it.

Last edited:

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah spell pierce depends on what deck you are facing. Teferi in Esper, Light Up the Stage/Experimental Frenzy etc...

Also, try to think about if it's safe to drop Enigma on 3. It might be better to drop it on 4 and have protection up for example.

Feb 16, 2018
the game's still missing a place to play constructed with try-hard decks

the 1000 gold event doesn't feel rewarding, and i feel the players are stronger on ladder (which is even less rewarding)

magic online seems to have a queue where you can net $37 for going 5-0

i guess arena does the metagame challenge thing for a single weekend when the set is new. maybe something like that should be permanent. idk

Sep 14, 2018
Metagame challenge is fun because of when it's available. Now it would not be a challenge it's just play a meta deck. And this standard meta is boring as hell.

RNA is a mediocre set whose biggest flaw was wasting Azorius, but that's just me.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is Child of Night a decent sideboard option for Rakdos Aggro/Aristocrats against RDW/Burn? I know Chainwhirler trashes it but I don't see too much of it these days. Cheap lifegain feels too good to pass up in that match-up but my attempts at splashing white have been too inconsistent.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Child of Night a decent sideboard option for Rakdos Aggro/Aristocrats against RDW/Burn? I know Chainwhirler trashes it but I don't see too much of it these days. Cheap lifegain feels too good to pass up in that match-up but my attempts at splashing white have been too inconsistent.
Just run a couple of that card that drains as lifegain - sovereign's bite (?).

Getting wrecked by Chainwhirler kinda defeats the purpose of the card.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gotta love the asshole mono red players who decide to start roping on turn 2 after you kill their first creature.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love the asshole mono red players who decide to start roping on turn 2 after you kill their first creature.
I have literally never seen this in probably hundreds of hours playing MTGA against all sorts of decks, including ranked and unranked, and a ton of mono red opponents. Are you sure they did it intentionally instead of disconnecting or getting distracted, and how often does that happen?

If anything, someone playing mono red wants to move on as quickly as possible, so they're statistically probably way less likely to rope than any other players.

Now OTHER decks, sure. I especially hate when people take like 45 seconds on each turn when they have 1 card and no mana. Your decisions aren't that hard.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I get roped all the time, and it's definitely intentional in most cases because you can see them mousing over cards, sometimes they will even emote or whatever. It's not always mono-red, but that seems to happen often. And when I say roping, I don't mean leaving the game or disconnecting, like literally waiting until the last second to pass priority just so the game doesn't boot them automatically. Just purposely wasting time. I've had people just take their entire turn to tap all their mana and then do nothing with it. The mono red player I was just playing against was targeting himself with damage instead of me, etc.

To be fair I play decks that a lot of people would find frustrating to play against, but nothing outright degenerate. I even refuse to run Teferi in my Esper control deck.

Oct 25, 2017
I get roped all the time, and it's definitely intentional in most cases because you can see them mousing over cards, sometimes they will even emote or whatever. It's not always mono-red, but that seems to happen often. And when I say roping, I don't mean leaving the game or disconnecting, like literally waiting until the last second to pass priority just so the game doesn't boot them automatically. Just purposely wasting time. I've had people just take their entire turn to tap all their mana and then do nothing with it. The mono red player I was just playing against was targeting himself with damage instead of me, etc.

To be fair I play decks that a lot of people would find frustrating to play against, but nothing outright degenerate. I even refuse to run Teferi in my Esper control deck.
Huh, I must be lucky then. In gold 4 / 3, best of 1, it's almost completely stopped happening compared to silver.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm getting intentionally roped for the second time today, this time on ranked ladder by someone who is apparently very mad I played an Immortal Sun, even though it doesn't look like there are any planeswalkers in their deck????

EDIT: New State of the Beta.

Cosmetics!

My wallet is fucking dead

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty neat looking!

Prices for the styles are based on card rarity and buy it once for your playset. Price estimate based on 1600 Gems = $10
  • Common: 400 Gems (~$2.50)
  • Uncommon: 600 Gems (~$3.75)
  • Rare: 1000 Gems (~$6.25)
  • Mythic Rare: 1200 Gems (~$7.50)

57unWuZHsw.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, if they start doing animated cards I hope there will be an option to disable the opponent's cosmetics like I can auto-mute their chat lines. I'm afraid they won't and I'll be stuck with them just like I'm stuck with the constantly irritating scorpion of death. T_T

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yikes, if they start doing animated cards I hope there will be an option to disable the opponent's cosmetics like I can auto-mute their chat lines. I'm afraid they won't and I'll be stuck with them just like I'm stuck with the constantly irritating scorpion of death. T_T
The FAQ says you can't disable your opponent's cosmetics. Which of course you can't. I don't know any game that lets you do this. They want you to see them so you'll be enticed to buy them.

My big issue is with those animated cards and sleeves, how they affect performance. I have to run the game on lowest settings and I don't really need any additional visual flair bogging down my machine any more.

Oct 25, 2017
The FAQ says you can't disable your opponent's cosmetics. Which of course you can't. I don't know any game that lets you do this. They want you to see them so you'll be enticed to buy them.

My big issue is with those animated cards and sleeves, how they affect performance. I have to run the game on lowest settings and I don't really need any additional visual flair bogging down my machine any more.
Exactly. The game already gets a bit laggy on a decent desktop, and it already has enough distracting animation, that I could actively be driven away if things get flashier. I don't mind cosmetics that AREN'T animated or obnoxious (no anime girl card sleeves, no moving cards and particle effects, etc.)

It'll be kind of sadly funny if the thing that makes me quit Magic is them trying to make money and draw people in, but ultimately I guess money will decide the future of the game.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Its a shame they aren't using this to tie all the different versions of a card into 1 search result (and you just pick a different card art). I'm tired of importing decks and having to manually edit out 1 (Dominaria) Teferi for my 1 Promo Art Teferi. Crafted all the different versions of staple commons just because I got tired of doing that with Opt, Duress etc. The game should be smart enough to sub out versions of cards you don't own for versions you do own

Exactly. The game already gets a bit laggy on a decent desktop, and it already has enough distracting animation, that I could actively be driven away if things get flashier. I don't mind cosmetics that AREN'T animated or obnoxious (no anime girl card sleeves, no moving cards and particle effects, etc.)

It'll be kind of sadly funny if the thing that makes me quit Magic is them trying to make money and draw people in, but ultimately I guess money will decide the future of the game.

Yeah the one bright side is they're ridiculously expensive (for the ones you have to pay for) so its not going to be that common

Also I will pay $10 for Hatsune Miku card sleeves and theres nothing you can do to stop me!!

(I did the same thing in real life)

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see myself spending 2.50 to upgrade to fancy shiny Opts or Shocks or some other common card. But then I was always the "look for cool promo versions" person for my paper decks.

Doing that for Rares or Mythics is less likely.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not too bothered about getting any animated cards but I'm keen on some of those card backs and new avatars.

I also wonder how practice mode will work. Will it just play a generic precon with a perfect curve? Will it be customisable in any way?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lots of new avatars, apparently Angrath and Huatli can be bought either with 600 gems or 3000 gold.

42fe37faa70f99a879de04268fcb2658a3759e83bd1d3dc31697fd5749a08623u46.png

You unlock additional avatars though "Store Bundles", whatever they are.

I can imagine the mindgames now: Dovin Avatar, Azorius card sleeves, straight into turn 1 Mountain and Firebrand.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not bothered by any of that, though other than a few moments of "neat" it doesn't really appeal to me. Hopeully the animated cards won't get on my nerves.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At least it'll be easier to spot the whales now, with their fully "foiled" tier 1 decks.

On another note, what are our thoughts on the progression tree for new players? I like that it's skippable but not that you still have to play to get the other precons (if you do skip) like the current system. Though I guess it won't affect anyone in this thread since we're presumably all past that. I wonder what we'll get retroactively.