• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad only one esper deck is in the finals. There are only a couple viable mono decks so I'm really happy they made it.

Then again it's probably bad for the health of the game. Shining a spotlight on grand finale with Teferi looping and no creatures for 30 minutes might have been exactly the sort of negative publicity that is needed.

Mottschi

Oct 28, 2017
Versailles, France
Never had much problems with any of the earlier events providing alt art cards, always collecting 4 of the rares, but this one was tough. Tried some brews, then different decks from reddit or even here, but nothing worked. Finally, just as I was about to give up, I finally made it with a modified version of MonoW

2 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
16 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Leonin Vanguard (M19) 22
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Snubhorn Sentry (RIX) 23
4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
2 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
4 Ajani's Pridemate (M19) 5

Really glad only one 5 win was required this time.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
About the trailer, as a fan of black, I find it interesting that Liliana would choose to oppose Bolas. She has always been depicted as a selfish person, so this would be an heroic act on her part. Even when she chose to join the Gatewatch, it was only because she thought it would be useful to have other planewalkers as allies. And if you look at the story of Magic, a lot of the big bad have been black.
Black isn't evil, just very self-centered, self-motivated, and fairly amoral. Which is very very easy to create evil characters with and much more difficult to make good ones with. In this case Liliana has a whole bunch of very in-color reasons for turning on Bolas. There comes a point where self-preservation becomes lower on your priority list even when your priorities center around you. In this case:

- Bolas has her freedom, which is a very on color thing for a character in black to be pissed about.
- Powerful Walkers have been toying with her life for a long time.
- Seeing that girl and her brother die in that wreckage reminded her of her own life and how she lost everything. And the last thing you want to do is be the living effigy of everything that stole away the desires of a character motivated primarily by getting what they want.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe foils like Chemister's Insight and Vraska's Contempt initially said something along the lines of "This card must be earned through play.," but now simply say "This style cannot be purchased at this time."

So it looks like if you're giving up on the whole treasure thing, you'll be able to buy it later.

...hopefully after they lower the prices on single card styles.

I was really looking forward to War of the Spark since it's my first new release since getting back into Magic, but after hearing about how many planeswalkers there are going to be and seeing today's spoilers/leaks, I'm not sure how to feel. I'm scared and confused.

loveshuffle

Alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I believe foils like Chemister's Insight and Vraska's Contempt initially said something along the lines of "This card must be earned through play.," but now simply say "This style cannot be purchased at this time."

So it looks like if you're giving up on the whole treasure thing, you'll be able to buy it later.

I was really looking forward to War of the Spark since it's my first new release since getting back into Magic, but after hearing about how many planeswalkers there are going to be and seeing today's spoilers/leaks, I'm not sure how to feel. I'm scared and confused.

Don't be. I float in and out of the game over years too and hadn't played in like 5. This current block was already intimidating with the handful of planeswalkers. Truth is, once you actually play with the cards, it all makes sense. Arena is great in that regard. I can just craft the most powerful cards/deck and instantly understand the current meta/playstyle. Teferi went from being the insanely rare and powerful card that always destroyed me, to being the insanely powerful (and not rare at all) card I used to destroy others.

As for anyone still playing the event, I recommend a BO1 tuned gates deck. Ever felt like "man, if I only had one more mana.." when playing gates? Well, this format totally fixes that. Was an easy 5-0 first play through.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up on my vods from today, that last Savjz match was a wild ride.

Now it's spoiler time, when I take a trip to Magical Christmas Land with each card reveal and wonder how they manage to print so many broken cards while ignoring the fact that maybe only a dozen will be constructed-viable after a month into the set.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Arena daily since the cosmetic update and I've been LOVING it. There's a lot to learn about the monetization model, but it's been rad so far.

I went through two drafts and can afford a third but I don't want to draft Core 19, so I guess I'm waiting. I need 300 gems so I can get the Rakdos bundle!!!

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Arena daily since the cosmetic update and I've been LOVING it. There's a lot to learn about the monetization model, but it's been rad so far.

I went through two drafts and can afford a third but I don't want to draft Core 19, so I guess I'm waiting. I need 300 gems so I can get the Rakdos bundle!!!

I had found an article a semi recent article about the monetization called "Going Optimal" which has a decent breakdown on lines you can take to get the most out of your money/time. Made me rethink sealed vs draft. I think the only thing that's really changed is the value of the seasonal ladder since they'll be an option to get card styles now. But that's gonna be pretty subjective.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I had found an article a semi recent article about the monetization called "Going Optimal" which has a decent breakdown on lines you can take to get the most out of your money/time. Made me rethink sealed vs draft. I think the only thing that's really changed is the value of the seasonal ladder since they'll be an option to get card styles now. But that's gonna be pretty subjective.
FYI, Ryan Spain used to work at Wizards and actually worked on Arena, so his takes are usually pretty good when it comes to that stuff.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Hopefully you can buy it later because i cannot for the life of me beat it. I get to mythic every month with no problem but i can't beat a dang treasure event. I've tried 20 decks.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, the April fools is cute. Just start the game and look around.

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully you can buy it later because i cannot for the life of me beat it. I get to mythic every month with no problem but i can't beat a dang treasure event. I've tried 20 decks.

Yup. I don't get to mythic as I don't have the time (and maybe not the skill, who knows!), but I think I'm fairly good. I couldn't get this treasure event beaten for the life of me. Highest I got was 3 wins with a gates deck. Too many people playing both mono red and Esper so that I felt they drew a good enough hand too many times that I couldn't beat it if I tried to optimize for everything. So it seemed the best strategy was to just play mono red with less lands. A fine strategy, but I didn't have the wildcards I needed to really make it sing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just found the Treasure event incredibly annoying and didn't bother trying to do 5 wins. It just felt like every match was chaotic and took forever, especially if the opponent stalled on waiting for treasures to resolve.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I really hope War of the Spark totally fucks over the menace to my jank known as mono decks. Especially mono-mother-fucking-blue. Those players can go to hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude I love control/midrange versus midrange/control, I could care less how grindy that match-up is.
I mean if you have a competitive control/midrange deck that's one thing. I thought you meant you were running jank, which esper or something should most likely stomp into the ground.

If you want a really bad winrate super jank deck give this a try in non-ranked play:

2 Liliana's Contract (M19) 107
8 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Rite of Belzenlok (DAR) 102
2 Demon of Catastrophes (M19) 91
2 Demonlord Belzenlok (DAR) 86
1 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
4 Rise from the Grave (M19) 117
1 Lazav, the Multifarious (GRN) 184
1 Connive // Concoct (GRN) 222
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
2 Murder (M19) 110
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
6 Island (M19) 268
2 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
3 Submerged Boneyard (M19) 257
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Rafter Demon (RNA) 196
4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
1 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
1 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
2 Spawn of Mayhem (RNA) 85
2 Rakdos, the Showstopper (RNA) 199
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
1 Arcane Adaptation (XLN) 46
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
1 Wall of Lost Thoughts (RNA) 59
1 Boneyard Parley (XLN) 94

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I shall not apologize for my Mono-blue! It's blue played the way I wish blue played, and it helps fight back against the Scourge that is Teferi decks! (Well, I'll apologize to the poor folks I occasionally run into who are trying to run janky off-meta stuff, like the guy who was trying to do something with thopters against me this morning and I just ground him into the dust. But Spell Piercing a Teferi or whatever will never fail to feel good!)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So O am enjoying this. Started playing after noticing the tourney this weekend on Twitch. I know how Magic works, but never really played it due to lack of competitors. Can people recommend some YouTube channels or specific videos that get me to understand the current meta and explain the different sets?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So O am enjoying this. Started playing after noticing the tourney this weekend on Twitch. I know how Magic works, but never really played it due to lack of competitors. Can people recommend some YouTube channels or specific videos that get me to understand the current meta and explain the different sets?

mtggoldfish is probably the default new player resource.

Some personalities like Day9 and GabySpartz are usually pretty good at explaining as they play.

Oct 27, 2017

If you want to know the current meta, here are the decks that featured most prominently at the Mythic Invitational: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/mythic-invitational-wrap-up-and-best-of-one-standard

I recently got back into Magic and am trying to avoid the 'meta' as much as possible, but I find just watching the 'pros' on Twitch to be really helpful. A lot of them explain their thought process while playing and have YouTube channels where they upload longer breakdowns behind the strategy of the decks they've created.

I've spent a LOT of time watching folks on Twitch over the past month, and the people I've found most helpful are AliEldrazi (plays primarily meta decks and explains them simply) and crokeyz (plays primarily jank and gets your mind thinking of combos outside of the meta).

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
LegendVD on youtube is great, always explains all of his plays and what the opponent could have in hand. Good sportsmanship too.
I also enjoy Merchant, and Day9 (dude is just too funny lol).

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda new player here. Never really played against people, only bots (MTG Mircroprose) and looking for a deck to collect wins and start my collection.

I really like being a dick and play mono Blue. Like mana denial, counters and bouncing creatures. What kinda deck can I find that is meta and resembles that?

Thank s for the suggestions.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda new player here. Never really played against people, only bots (MTG Mircroprose) and looking for a deck to collect wins and start my collection.

I really like being a dick and play mono Blue. Like mana denial, counters and bouncing creatures. What kinda deck can I find that is meta and resembles that?

Thank s for the suggestions.

The mono blue deck in the format is weirdly an aggro deck right now. What you probably would like is the most popular deck, Esper Control https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-esper-control-65611#paper
Before Kaya started showing up in the deck recently, the only way the deck could actually win a game was getting your opponent to concede out of frustration, or by decking them over a very long period of time (Teferi can put himself back in your deck so you never run out of cards)

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Ha, that's the deck I'm currently building, it has the douchebaggery strategy I enjoy.

The mono blue deck in the format is weirdly an aggro deck right now. What you probably would like is the most popular deck, Esper Control https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-esper-control-65611#paper
Before Kaya started showing up in the deck recently, the only way the deck could actually win a game was getting your opponent to concede out of frustration, or by decking them over a very long period of time (Teferi can put himself back in your deck so you never run out of cards)

I do like to frustrate my opponent (My exes hated my playstyle) but not a fan of long games. Checked a video of the deck in question ... Jesus, I don't want to be that big of an asshole (for now).

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, that's the deck I'm currently building, it has the douchebaggery strategy I enjoy.

I do like to frustrate my opponent (My exes hated my playstyle) but not a fan of long games. Checked a video of the deck in question ... Jesus, I don't want to be that big of an asshole.
If there were ever evidence that Teferi goes too far, this is it. :P

For what it's worth this wasn't even the most obnoxious thing. They had to ban Nexus of Fate in best-of-1 because some decks couldn't do anything at all to destroy it, and people would exploit the lack of a chess timer in Arena by setting up a situation where they could take infinite turns (see Wilderness Reclamation). A local guy told me he literally had a script that would just click Resolve when people did that, and he would win, but sometimes it might go an hour or two. Who knows if that's true of course. Point is that unless the Arena people actually started banning such players, they could just make the game loop forever by taking infinite turns, and in real life it wouldn't even work since you would fast forward to the end of the loop.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a preorder bundle up for War of the Spark now. $50 for 50 packs, a Liliana, Dreadhorde General +foily, and a boring War of the Spark sleeve.

Pretty good deal.

No Tezzeret, though? The paper buy-a-box pack-in.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing why I can't play with any of my decks today? The Play option is just greyed out. There wasn't a format rotation or anything, War of the Spark isn't out for weeks

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing why I can't play with any of my decks today? The Play option is just greyed out. There wasn't a format rotation or anything, War of the Spark isn't out for weeks
There was a two hour maintenance, but the way Arena works is that it still allows you to log on, build decks, etc., during maintenance but the play option is greyed out. It should've just ended, but maybe it went a little long.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pre-order is a decent value if you wanna spend cash for packs. It is a little weird that they are effectively replacing Liliana for T as the buy-a-box promo. I'd feel a little worse about it but crafting mythics isn't that big of a deal if he ends up being a standard staple.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Tezzeret will still be buy a box for the 9/18k box I'm sure. The pre order is also just the style right?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Havent played in a while but apparently there are new codes atm that can be redeemed. Could someone post them please?

Also what's the ETA on War of the Spark cards being added?

Oct 27, 2017
Havent played in a while but apparently there are new codes atm that can be redeemed. Could someone post them please?

Also what's the ETA on War of the Spark cards being added?

Redeem codes "STARTERSTYLES", "SuperScry", "FoilFungus", "SparkleDruid", "ShinyGoblinPirate" and "ParallaxPotion" in-game to receive free cosmetic rewards!

War of the Spark hits Arena before any other format on April 25th.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Redeem codes "STARTERSTYLES", "SuperScry", "FoilFungus", "SparkleDruid", "ShinyGoblinPirate" and "ParallaxPotion" in-game to receive free cosmetic rewards!

War of the Spark hits Arena before any other format on April 25th.
Thanks!

Really glad they added practice mode. I've been wanting to show this game to my young cousin and show off my dino deck and practice mode is a good place for him to learn the game and just send out the dinos to destroy enemy hp xp

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why I keep bullying the practice bot with stupid combos, trying to deal as much damage in one turn as possible. I could be doing something actually productive to gaining rank or gold.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I keep bullying the practice bot with stupid combos, trying to deal as much damage in one turn as possible. I could be doing something actually productive to gaining rank or gold.
I do the same. I've even lost to Sparky once or twice, but whatever. I don't have the time nor the patience to actually rank up and I just like watching how my decks work.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do the same. I've even lost to Sparky once or twice, but whatever. I don't have the time nor the patience to actually rank up and I just like watching how my decks work.

Yeah I'm finding it useful for checking if my mana curve works (i.e. if I can't consistently get X out by turn Y, I will fare poorly against Z decks) and testing interactions you're not sure of. I know a lot of these things are intuitive to people who have been playing MTG for a while, but it's a helpful learning tool.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Still playing this game daily, until I get super salty because control sucks and if you play control I hate you.

I wish the cosmetics were handled differently. Card styles kinda look bad and cost way too much. And I want a Vraska avatar but I have to spend 2 BO3 ranked draft's worth, and I get a bunch of useless stuff with it.