• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone see a difference in the opponent quality between traditional CE and ladder? I kinda hate the mental grind of the ladder and really prefer CEs for the "bite size" experience and rewards, but I seem to do much better at CEs recently. I was getting hammered at Gold 4 earlier this month but able to pretty regularly get 3+ wins in Bo3 CE. I want to get better, so if ladder is just where all the strong players are, I guess I just need to hit the grind, huh?

edit: also really like playing new decks a lot, but I hate jumping into ladder mid-tier with a new deck. CEs are great for that.

Oct 28, 2017
I was having good success with Temur Reclamation, which is infinitely more fun to play except for the fact that tapping lots of mana on Magic Arena suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Also, I play on my Surface tablet exclusively, which means I'm playing on a touchscreen. I cannot actually play Reclamation decks unless I go plug in my keyboard.

I do find this to be frustrating. I wish there was a way to let it auto select the mana color since that doesn't matter at all after UURR most of the time. Like by holding shift or something. That would save a ton of time.

I was having really great success with Temur Reclamation since mid-March until a few days ago where I've lost like 4/6 matches. Before I probably had an 80% win rate. I don't really know what happened. The deck is super easy to misplay, but I only took note of a single misplay I'm sure cost me the game in one of those matches.

Oct 25, 2017
Drafted Guilds tonight. Had a pretty decent Dimir deck, but noticed the bots had let a Boros deck through.

Went 5-3. 7 games were against Boros. The bots must be broken.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
For QoL I'd really like a little counter on the side that shows your total mana of each colour.
Could get iffy with duals, and I know it's reflexive of paper, but it would be nice to not have to count all my lands sometimes

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I've had the most success drafting Dimir and Golgari with the bots. They seem to value Boros much more highly than those guilds. The Arena factor, where the bots just won't touch commons they aren't interested in, so you end up with much more powerful decks, seems to play better with those guilds than with Boros (where there is always 1+ bot drafter and there are few commons bots drastically misvalue).

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Drafted Guilds tonight. Had a pretty decent Dimir deck, but noticed the bots had let a Boros deck through.

Went 5-3. 7 games were against Boros. The bots must be broken.

I had pretty much the opposite problem. Did 2 drafts, drafted Dimir first then Boros and lost to 6 Dimir decks in a row. Disinformation Campaign is a brutal card in limited.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
is there anything from this latest expansion, or the upcoming war, that i should add to my jeskai angels deck? i didn't add too much from RA obviously but at 74-44 it's one of my better performing bo3 dex

4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
2 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
2 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
2 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Island (RIX) 193

1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Shock (M19) 156
2 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is there anything from this latest expansion, or the upcoming war, that i should add to my jeskai angels deck? i didn't add too much from RA obviously but at 74-44 it's one of my better performing bo3 dex

4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
2 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
2 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Island (RIX) 193

1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Shock (M19) 156
2 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165

Dovin's Veto perhaps. It's an uncounterable Negate for WU.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be any other changes coming out along with the new expansion. When they introduced no duplicates with the last expansion, they said they were working on a different solution for getting rid of the vault.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Momir's Madness event is just silly. And not the fun silly. One entry was enough.

Did manage to climb into plat for the first time, so that's nice! Although now seeing some of the black removal coming in War I don't know if they'll be many chances to keep using the Vraska's Contempt style.

I wonder if there will be any other changes coming out along with the new expansion. When they introduced no duplicates with the last expansion, they said they were working on a different solution for getting rid of the vault.

I mean, if they replace the vault before I open mine once, I'll be a little disappointed. I'd rather we just get a dust system, but don't think that's happening.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Probably a really minor thing, but I wonder if they'll have voice clips for all the new planeswalkers. I can see them doing it for rare and mythics, not sure about the uncommons.

I've already reached the point where Teferi's and Vivien's voices are etched into my nightmares.

Sep 14, 2018
Those user submitted decks on Aetherhub are such a mess, I know deckbuilding and theory crafting isn't an exact science but I think it's harder to get it that wrong, my eyes were bloodshot looking through those piles. I was just curious what people were theorycrafting for Grixis but yeah If anything I should post mine and get people on the right track.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only two decks I've been playing since open beta are mono red and mono blue. I've been wanting to change it up for a while, but with the expansion around the corner, I didn't feel like wasting wild cards on a deck that will be outclassed with the new expansion.

Really excited for the new expansion though. I've been playing hearthstone since beta and this is the first expansion I couldn't care less about. Far more excited for the mtg expansion.

Okay Momir's Madness event is just silly. And not the fun silly. One entry was enough.

Did manage to climb into plat for the first time, so that's nice! Although now seeing some of the black removal coming in War I don't know if they'll be many chances to keep using the Vraska's Contempt style.

I mean, if they replace the vault before I open mine once, I'll be a little disappointed. I'd rather we just get a dust system, but don't think that's happening.

At some point the vault will go away. To avoid any bad will, I assume they'll just give everyone a vault opening when it happens, regardless of their progress.

I don't believe there will be a dusting system, but I think it will be something similar to the gems for dupes of rares/mythic rares. Except maybe gold instead or some small amount of gems.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh having a bad run today. My own fault. I'm sick of playing the better decks so I'm playing around with jank and losing a lot. Hurry up new set.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
is there going to be a gold draft available for spark when it comes out? or just bo3 draft at first? what about sealed? I like to start expansions with a sealed or two if I have gems then drafts before buying packs. but bo3 draft is annoying af to play imo if you get a bad draft you're miserable. and it costs gems which I only use for sealed.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
They post a schedule on Wizard's site. Looks like War of the Spark will only have Sealed events available for this weekend.

Edit: See below. I didn't see the traditional draft because the calendar is hard to read on mobile.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
is there going to be a gold draft available for spark when it comes out? or just bo3 draft at first? what about sealed? I like to start expansions with a sealed or two if I have gems then drafts before buying packs. but bo3 draft is annoying af to play imo if you get a bad draft you're miserable. and it costs gems which I only use for sealed.
According to https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-online-events-schedule there is sealed the 25th and traditional (best of 3) draft starting the 29th.

Who knows when you can start using gold on events...I think it took 2-3 weeks last time? I'll be lucky if I can even get 2000 gems by then, since I typically only earn 100-150 per draft I do.

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I know they want to get that gem $$$ from sealed but it's a bummer Ranked WAR draft won't be a thing at the beginning of next season.

edit: looking at the calendar from RNA, they actually started Ranked RNA draft Feb 1, so who knows. It makes sense to hold off on Draft during the pre-release week since that follows the paper schedule, but the RNA draft started 2 weeks after pre-release (1 week after release).

Last edited:

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey,

I started playing this yesterday. Is the only way to get new decks through the Mastery tree now?

The timer for new quests on the bottom left for me just says "waiting for new quest" and the timer is all zeroes.. Is this a change that was made, I can't really find much info about it.

Cheers.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017

According to the online schedule "ranked draft" war of the spark begins May 10th. Will be Bo1 drafting available at that point until then looks like just Bo3

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit bummed that they aren't implementing any new features or changes with the new patch.

I'm excited for the expansion, but was hoping this was finally when they'd make the change to get rid of the vault and replace it with something better.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
If it's like RNA, it's just BO3. Get ready to spend some gems!
nah I only spend gems on sealed, and try to do that only before I start opening a lot of packs for that expansion. spending gems for bo3 draft doesn't make much sense to me unless you love the format. use most of my gold after in bo1 draft to regain gems and fill out commons/uncommons/rares I don't have from sealed as they work into decks

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm a bit bummed that they aren't implementing any new features or changes with the new patch.

I'm excited for the expansion, but was hoping this was finally when they'd make the change to get rid of the vault and replace it with something better.
I don't see them ever getting rid of the vault. The dupes people really care about are rares and mythics since lower rarities are super-easy to acquire. A bigger issue they'll need to deal with is rares that get reprinted. It has the same feel-bad as the old, pre-dupe protection system in that you can open a rare you already have a playset and that's a big feel-bad moment.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them ever getting rid of the vault. The dupes people really care about are rares and mythics since lower rarities are super-easy to acquire. A bigger issue they'll need to deal with is rares that get reprinted. It has the same feel-bad as the old, pre-dupe protection system in that you can open a rare you already have a playset and that's a big feel-bad moment.
I really appreciate the rare/mythic dupe protection because those wildcards are so hard to come by, but I really wish there were an easier way to earn common wildcards. I have like 5 of them and they accumulate very slowly unless you buy tons of packs.

I like collecting reprints so I'm fortunate that situation doesn't affect me.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
How many rares typically get reprinted per set though? Most of the reprints I can think of are at the common/uncommon level. When the dual and check lands come through it would be nice to not get them since there's a lot but that's years away.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciate the rare/mythic dupe protection because those wildcards are so hard to come by, but I really wish there were an easier way to earn common wildcards. I have like 5 of them and they accumulate very slowly unless you buy tons of packs.

I like collecting reprints so I'm fortunate that situation doesn't affect me.

How do you have so few common wildcards? I have so many common and uncommon wildcards and nothing to do with them.

I'll have to check, but I think I have close to 100 common wildcards. I haven't created many decks, but anytime I want to create a new one, I'm hardly spending any common wildcards.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They've been planning on getting rid of it for a while.

From their Jan 2019 state of the beta before Ravnica allegiance

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-january-2019-01-14

Finally, uncommons and commons will still contribute to your Vault progress, and the rewards from opening a Vault are unchanged—for now. We're still looking at implementing a system beyond how our Vault currently functions, but to ensure that duplication protection was available for the release of Ravnica Allegiance, the Vault will remain as a way for players to receive Wildcards from extra copies of commons and uncommons.

They may have changed their mind, or the system might not be ready yet. But based on that Jan state of the beta I was expecting it to come with this update. I actually have been saving my weekly reward packs just in case they made the change.

On a different note, it sounds like twitch prime users will be offered a free Boros deck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/bgh5jd/twitch_prime_users_will_get_a_free_boros_deck/

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They've been planning on getting rid of it for a while.

From their Jan 2019 state of the beta before Ravnica allegiance

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-january-2019-01-14

They may have changed their mind, or the system might not be ready yet. But based on that Jan state of the beta I was expecting it to come with this update. I actually have been saving my weekly reward packs just in case they made the change.

On a different note, it sounds like twitch prime users will be offered a free Boros deck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/bgh5jd/twitch_prime_users_will_get_a_free_boros_deck/

first twitch prime loot that i'm gonna love (i hope)

my boros deck can use some love

Oct 25, 2017
How do you have so few common wildcards? I have so many common and uncommon wildcards and nothing to do with them.

I'll have to check, but I think I have close to 100 common wildcards. I haven't created many decks, but anytime I want to create a new one, I'm hardly spending any common wildcards.
I kept running out when I would try to craft decks. I even bought a bunch of standalone packs and I still ended up burning common wildcards because I wouldn't get the commons I needed.

I finally have at least 1x of every UNcommon card in the game. However there are 18 commons I don't have a single copy of, most of them from an Ixalan expansion. And that's after doing like 3+ drafts in Ixalan, probably a couple sealed events, and buying a bunch of packs! I've spent a ton of time playing, bought a prerelease, did the $5 welcome pack, and typically do the daily 5+ wins and quests almost every day.

I currently have 4 common wildcards, 19 uncommon (despite having 1x of every uncommon as I mentioned), 1 rare, and 1 mythic rare.

I am lacking playsets of TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN different commons that I have at least 1 of. I'm lacking playsets of 228 uncommons.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kept running out when I would try to craft decks. I even bought a bunch of standalone packs and I still ended up burning common wildcards because I wouldn't get the commons I needed.

I finally have at least 1x of every UNcommon card in the game. However there are 18 commons I don't have a single copy of, most of them from an Ixalan expansion. And that's after doing like 3+ drafts in Ixalan, probably a couple sealed events, and buying a bunch of packs! I've spent a ton of time playing, bought a prerelease, did the $5 welcome pack, and typically do the daily 5+ wins and quests almost every day.

I currently have 4 common wildcards, 19 uncommon (despite having 1x of every uncommon as I mentioned), 1 rare, and 1 mythic rare.

I am lacking playsets of TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN different commons that I have at least 1 of. I'm lacking playsets of 228 uncommons.

How do you have enough rares/mythic rare wildcards for those decks? Or are you just homebrewing jank decks? If the latter, that makes sense that you would run out and I'd have a bunch since we are playing very different ways.

But it seems like we have a similar issue caused by wildcards only being able to be obtained through opening packs and only being able to be used on crafting cards of that rarity. You keep using them and have no other way to get them than opening packs. I don't spend them at all at don't have anything to use them on since I don't craft many decks.

For me, a lack of rare wildcards is the thing holding me back from crafting new decks and I always have to be sure I want to spend them since they are so hard to obtain. Dual color (or tri color) decks take so many rare lands that I've been holding off on crafting them and just playing mono red and mono blue.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you have enough rares/mythic rare wildcards for those decks? Or are you just homebrewing jank decks? If the latter, that makes sense that you would run out and I'd have a bunch since we are playing very different ways.

But it seems like we have a similar issue caused by wildcards only being able to be obtained through opening packs and only being able to be used on crafting cards of that rarity. You keep using them and have no other way to get them than opening packs. I don't spend them at all at don't have anything to use them on since I don't craft many decks.

For me, a lack of rare wildcards is the thing holding me back from crafting new decks and I always have to be sure I want to spend them since they are so hard to obtain.
I prefer doing draft (or on the very rare occasion I earn enough gems, sealed) so I don't normally buy packs, which is one thing that limits me from getting common wildcards I guess. It would be nice if the daily rewards had a chance of giving you common wildcards or something, or being able to turn an uncommon (any) prize card into a common wildcard. Yes I know that's similar to the dust thing but they don't even need to make it that complicated.

Let me check my rares and mythic situation...

I have at least 1 of 288 different rares (I'm considering reprints "different" for ease of searching).
I have at least 1 of 73 different mythics.

I don't know how to judge whether that is good or bad. I crafted the ones I wanted for decks, and on rare occasions I might attempt a janky deck. I kept getting Teferis without even wanting them.

I only have a full playset of 2 different rare lands. I have at least 2 of 20 different rare lands.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I've been dumping Rare WCs into shock and checklands for a few months now and I'm so close to having a playset of all of them. I feel like a great weight will be lifted off my shoulders and I can finally use WCs for actual cards for the decks.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

For me, a lack of rare wildcards is the thing holding me back from crafting new decks and I always have to be sure I want to spend them since they are so hard to obtain. Dual color (or tri color) decks take so many rare lands that I've been holding off on crafting them and just playing mono red and mono blue.

I wonder if they'd ever change up how you acquire the mana base. The meta (especially Bo1) is probably pretty heavily skewed because of how much of a pain it is to get all the rare lands. It might negatively effect the game in the long run. You can probably make decent budget lists with a lot of different decks if you assumed all the rare lands were easily obtainable.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The checklands will rotate out this fall so people should focus on shocks first. Going forward I wouldn't be surprised if they think about the Arena economy when printing new mana. Perhaps they could make lands that would traditionally be rare uncommon or offer land bundles for gems. Getting the rare lands is def one of the more "unfun" aspects of Arena at the moment.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am so sick of the massive amount of assholes playing Mono Red and Mono Blue in casual Bo1, you people deserve a special place on a Phyrexian pike.

It can be annoying, I usually just concede if I know I don't have the right starting hand for it. On the other hand, conceding just because someone plays a turn 1 Fanatical Firebrand or Siren Stormtamer can be premature. A fair number of my Goblin Cavalcade deck wins are down to playing Firebrand turn 1 straight into a concession.

Oct 25, 2017
I am so sick of the massive amount of assholes playing Mono Red and Mono Blue in casual Bo1, you people deserve a special place on a Phyrexian pike.
I don't think we should even joke about murdering people who play a certain deck. That's messed up.

People who play no-win condition decks and/or Teferi decks could have a special queue where they only play each other, sure, but people who play mono red or blue just make sense because of how the game is set up. If there weren't daily win bonuses or adults had tons of free time, sure you could try decks that take 20-30 minutes to win, but as it is that's a reasonable approach.

It's also a good experience to play against, since win or lose the game will be over within only a couple minutes, they're fair decks with both creatures and spells (plus ways to counter them), and you haven't wasted 25 minutes of your life seeing if someone endlesslly clicking Teferi actually brought something else to the game or if they're going to screw up and mill themselves.