• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that commons/uncommons go to the vault to turn into rares/mythics eventually, its like autodusting.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'll take mono-coloured aggro over Esper control any day. I tend to play cheap creature-based decks and aggro matches tend to be over in 4 or 5 turns. I keep meaning to switch over to Bo3 but I'm always afraid that my sideboarding is subpar, my deck has to many hard counters or that I run into Nexus without enough enchantment removal.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I don't think we should even joke about murdering people who play a certain deck. That's messed up.

People who play no-win condition decks and/or Teferi decks could have a special queue where they only play each other, sure, but people who play mono red or blue just make sense because of how the game is set up. If there weren't daily win bonuses or adults had tons of free time, sure you could try decks that take 20-30 minutes to win, but as it is that's a reasonable approach.

It's also a good experience to play against, since win or lose the game will be over within only a couple minutes, they're fair decks with both creatures and spells (plus ways to counter them), and you haven't wasted 25 minutes of your life seeing if someone endlesslly clicking Teferi actually brought something else to the game or if they're going to screw up and mill themselves.
Fictional Planeswalker death on a fiction races fictional weapon, of course. I suppose I should put my rage into nicer terms, just expressing how I feel about these people. I understand why some of them play, but I doubt a majority of them are playing for the fun of Magic and the wide variety of decks it offers at that point, and if that's the case you should be playing in Ranked.

Yeah I'll take mono-coloured aggro over Esper control any day. I tend to play cheap creature-based decks and aggro matches tend to be over in 4 or 5 turns. I keep meaning to switch over to Bo3 but I'm always afraid that my sideboarding is subpar, my deck has to many hard counters or that I run into Nexus without enough enchantment removal.
It's ironic because I'd rather face against Esper Control than mono-R/U decks.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I find playing against control and midrange decks to generally be more interesting than playing against aggro decks. With aggro it almost always comes down to the coin flip, which isn't terribly engaging. Even when you stabilize against aggro, the game after that is boring since they're almost certainly out of gas with no real way to win. When you stabilize against a midrange deck, they often have outs that they can play to, which keeps things fresh as the game progresses.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
the ranked rewards are not worth the time investment at all, so once i hit gold i see 0 point in not getting daily wins in casual no matter what i'm playing. blame WOTC for having such trash rewards. give out rare/mythic wildcards for rewards and you'd see casual become 'slightly' healthier if you just wanna screw around. but as it is now , dozens of wins for like one extra pack? lol no thx brah

oddly enough this is one of the only things hearthstone really beats MA at by a mile. in that game there's 0 point to not playing ranked, monthly rewards are pretty good, you get rewards and wins counted for ranked that you don't for casual (of course negatively HS has pitiful daily gold win rewards to add to this as well), casual in that game doesn't offer any serious benefits unless you're crazy desperate for a daily win. but in this game you can get 15, which takes a long ass time generally speaking. not bad but just really incentivizes playing fast games in casual modes, ranked is pretty pointless.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
the ranked rewards are not worth the time investment at all, so once i hit gold i see 0 point in not getting daily wins in casual no matter what i'm playing. blame WOTC for having such trash rewards. give out rare/mythic wildcards for rewards and you'd see casual become 'slightly' healthier if you just wanna screw around. but as it is now , dozens of wins for like one extra pack? lol no thx brah

oddly enough this is one of the only things hearthstone really beats MA at by a mile. in that game there's 0 point to not playing ranked, monthly rewards are pretty good, you get rewards and wins counted for ranked that you don't for casual (of course negatively HS has pitiful daily gold win rewards to add to this as well), casual in that game doesn't offer any serious benefits unless you're crazy desperate for a daily win. but in this game you can get 15, which takes a long ass time generally speaking. not bad but just really incentivizes playing fast games in casual modes, ranked is pretty pointless.
If you want more rewards tied for winning ranked, that directly incentivizes playing faster decks because of limited real life time, at least for most adults I'm guessing.

I'm not aware of any win-based reward structure that doesn't reward decks that respect both players' time, unless there's some sort of control deck that has like a 75% winrate despite taking 25 minutes per game (and if that exists it's probably unbalanced). I almost think it's healthier as-is, since there aren't crazy rewards tied to ranked so I'm not broken-hearted if I don't get beyond platinum. Plus, people who are high ranked probably like the game a lot, since they're not driven to play ranked purely because of rewards.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think it's worth getting to gold, but agree there's no point above that. Unless you really enjoy trying to climb the ladder.

But getting to gold isn't too difficult and it's worth playing ranked instead of casual at least until you get to gold. Especially with gold now rewarding an exclusive 3D card art now.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also not that hard to get to gold since you gain two pips for a win and only lose one for a loss in silver. It's climbing out of gold that takes work.

Sep 14, 2018
I pretty much never bother with ranked, I thought I would but it just felt pointless to me and I'm very competitive so I'm not sure why, maybe I just don't value ladder grinding as a way to measure skill in mtg. I like the comp event a lot though, that one makes money too! It's kind of a goldmine actually.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only bother leveling up Ranked to Gold just for the monthly ladder reward and then just stick with regular Unranked. Less meta decks there and people actually experiment with different brews.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot believe they haven't updated the UI to better support having multiple planeswalkers out at once. It's crazy in a set with infinite planeswalkers you can't actually have more than 4 out at a time without having to scroll pages to find the one you're looking for, and the Bolas static ability is a mess in itself.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
How long do I have to wait for a normal ranked WAR draft? Kinda sucks GRN is going into a RNA draft when WAR literally just launched in the game.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was already annoying when Bo1 draft wasn't Ranked but niw that WotC decided that Bo1 draft is the only ranked draft it is straight up ridiculous that they intentionally delay the newest set for the gold draft. Stuff like this makes me avoid spending any money on Arena. Still have like 19k gems after buying the 50€ bundle once after the launch of the shop.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much never bother with ranked, I thought I would but it just felt pointless to me and I'm very competitive so I'm not sure why, maybe I just don't value ladder grinding as a way to measure skill in mtg. I like the comp event a lot though, that one makes money too! It's kind of a goldmine actually.

I definitely find Bo3 CE to be my favorite mode. I need to grind to Mythic 1 month just so I can find out if I can "do it" and then never touch ladder again.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Update is live, also new code for 3 packs "PlayWarSpark" .
EDIT: NVM it's fixed now, thanks for th code!
HOLY SHIT
LINKIN PARK IN 2019
Black-Kid-Is-Blown-Away-By-The-Awesomeness.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh daaaaaang, that's a real disappointment to me. I didn't realize the "planeswalker in every pack" thing was only for real life packs. :(

Only 1/3 of my PlayWarSpark packs had a planeswalker, and it was an uncommon one.

I feel like that messaging could have been made better because I've been hyping myself for months about that. I guess in real life it's still true.

*edit* Going sealed did get me 6 planeswalkers though? 4 rare, 2 uncommon, but it could have just averaged out.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Sealed packs should be just like the real-life packs. 14 cards with one being a planeswalker.

I did wonder how the 8 card prize packs would work with this. I guess the answer is "kind of crummy"?

Oct 28, 2017
Oh daaaaaang, that's a real disappointment to me. I didn't realize the "planeswalker in every pack" thing was only for real life packs. :(

Only 1/3 of my PlayWarSpark packs had a planeswalker, and it was an uncommon one.

I feel like that messaging could have been made better because I've been hyping myself for months about that. I guess in real life it's still true.

*edit* Going sealed did get me 6 planeswalkers though? 4 rare, 2 uncommon, but it could have just averaged out.

Sealed and draft will give you one. They can't in 8 card boosters in Arena because it would unbalance the rarities at every level.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm jealous of the people playing my deck before I get to, I can leave work whenever I want but it's kind of frowned upon lol. Don't solve the meta without me!

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I really want to "work from home" the rest of the day but we have some serious deadlines coming up.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Got War of Spark Vivien and 2 of the uncoloured dragon plaenswalker cards.
I bought the 3000 gems card pack and got them from there along with a bunch of other neat cards too.
I'll wait til a cheaper WoS draft goes up then get some more gems for it.

EDIT: Also I've been playing against more creature summoning decks lately and that to me is a better way to lose than control type decks ^o^v

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Already hit the casual queue with "new and improved" Mardu aristocrats. Way too early to judge how good it is, of course, but I'm liking the new tools available to the archetype.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I've played 3 sealed events and my first impression is that black and blue are real strong and the amount of playable removal is high compared to recent limited formats. It has a very unique feel for sure with all the planeswalkers.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
The Boros Deck from Twitch Prime:

https://www.twitch.tv/prime?sf211609071=1

Deck List:
1 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
2 Legion Guildmage (GRN) 187
10 Plains (M19) 261
11 Mountain (M19) 273
4 Fresh-Faced Recruit (GRN) 216
2 Boros Challenger (GRN) 156
2 Skyknight Legionnaire (GRN) 198
3 Blade Instructor (GRN) 1
2 Truefire Captain (GRN) 209
2 Hammer Dropper (GRN) 176
2 Garrison Sergeant (GRN) 172
2 Swathcutter Giant (GRN) 202
2 Sure Strike (GRN) 118
3 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
3 Luminous Bonds (RIX) 12
1 Response // Resurgence (GRN) 229
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Swiftblade Vindicator (GRN) 203
1 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
1 Light of the Legion (GRN) 19
4 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
First sealed was rough. 3 and 3. Looks like aggro is still pretty strong.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Great day sorry I have to bitch BUT:

Just want to play my new B/W brew and first 3 matches are against Esper, they go first and thought erasure turn 2.

Any other deck I have a chance lol.

Edit-- currently they have all code redemptions disabled.

Oct 25, 2017
Great day sorry I have to bitch BUT:

Just want to play my new B/W brew and first 3 matches are against Esper, they go first and thought erasure turn 2.

Any other deck I have a chance lol.

Edit-- currently they have all code redemptions disabled.
With the new blue/white/black cards and blue/black being so strong, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays strong or gets even more popular. Thought Erasure for a free surveil, learning someone's deck, and hurting their early game is an ultra easy choice.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Playing sealed for my first dive into WAR.

Proliferate is crazy. Especially that 1/1 flier that proliferates on combat damage. I got a +1/+1 counter on that turn 3 and just snowballed my way to victory 3 times now.

I'm going white/blue/green. 5-0 so far.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4-0 so far with this deck in sealed
unknown.png

I didn't think it was going to work since I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for playables but it's been good so far. Command the Dreadhorde has overperformed from what I expected

I spent 40 minutes deckbuilding and I ended up sticking RBg over UBg or BG because while I had solid blue and decent green I felt I didn't have enough creatures in either to make them work.

Rest of the cards: https://imgur.com/a/5MkaKQG

Not gonna play more until tomorrow so if anyone sees any changes they would suggest I'm all ears.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's barely assembled from my first few packs but... Grixis Zombies is a fun deck. I feel bad that the M19 Liliana is only going to be in standard with WAR for like six months because she's finally got a deck where she's usable.

Oct 28, 2017
Just went 7-2 with a pretty fantastic Mardu deck. Had a Liliana, Gideon and Sorin. Sorin was a lot better than I expected him to be - his passive (lifelink to all creatures in my turn) saved me twice against aggro. Gideon was a powerhouse beater that no one could stop, especially when I had the Pegasus out. Liliana was a value engine and easily sealed the deal both times I played her, though the second I almost still lost as I was so low on life.

I think 3 color was the right choice for my pool, but mana was definitely scarce (especially when I needed WW for Gideon on turn 3). I hope tomorrow night at pre-release I'll be able to build 2 colors as I think that will be more consistent. Flying seems incredibly strong, so keep that in mind. I won multiple games by flying over enemies.

Oh, and fuck Sarkhan. That guy is an incredible beater. Turned a winning game into a losing game instantly.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So this is funny: There are 2 uncommon Walkers (Kiora and Vraska) that I already had deck plans for. Out of 104 packs I didn't pull a single one of either. They and Ashiok are the only Walkers I didn't manage to pull out of one of those packs (of the Walkers that can come from packs)

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got back from my Thanos-ban. Good day for it too!
Arena has been hilarious with the new WAR cards.

Vitu-Ghazi is awesomely janky