• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Magic is designed around Bo3 play with a sideboard. Their design space and philosophy inherently expects you to be able to make decisions for games 2 and 3 that drastically help against certain match-ups. You're kidding yourself if you think that will radically change because Arena exists.

edit: bringing Protection from X back shows that they are really not going in a Bo1 direction.

I don't even get what "going in a BO1 direction" means. What cards would even represent that?

BO1 is a crapshoot. Magic is always about the meta and adapting to it. Don't wait for the change to happen. Change yourself. Sometimes you have to realize the new meta says your pet deck is going to be rolled and if winning is your goal (Mine really not. I like to pull off dumb interactions that have a payoff. Winning is secondary) then you have to try a different deck or maybe angle of your decks purpose.

It took me years to get out of my comfort zone (I still rarely play red) but I'm a better player for taking bad beats and coming to terms my deck just isn't working agaisnt popular decks of the times. Saying the system is broken isn't.

You know what beats simic control? Another control deck. Green decks that have anti control options. Like aggro? Vamps seems pretty good. If they have to wait 4 turns to sdrop a frilled mystic you're getting under their negates with vampires. Heck Monored seems pretty good too honestly. Just don't smork them. Slow it down a bit. By nature simic flash is reactionary. Don't give them the advantage of casting spells on your turn. Make them make the first move. Those snakes are useless if you aren't casting. Hold back, take it easy. I was once young like you. Look at me now, I am old and happy ;) lightning strike that wolf when it lands. Time my not be on your side but you got cheap spells. Take advantage of it. Play around their strat.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh I see what they are saying. Stuff like mortify is with bo1 in mind. Honestly thats fine. I like cards that are efficient.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even get what "going in a BO1 direction" means. What cards would even represent that?

BO1 is a crapshoot. Magic is always about the meta and adapting to it. Don't wait for the change to happen. Change yourself. Sometimes you have to realize the new meta says your pet deck is going to be rolled and if winning is your goal (Mine really not. I like to pull off dumb interactions that have a payoff. Winning is secondary) then you have to try a different deck or maybe angle of your decks purpose.

It took me years to get out of my comfort zone (I still rarely play red) but I'm a better player for taking bad beats and coming to terms my deck just isn't working agaisnt popular decks of the times. Saying the system is broken isn't.

You know what beats simic control? Another control deck. Green decks that have anti control options. Like aggro? Vamps seems pretty good. If they have to wait 4 turns to sdrop a frilled mystic you're getting under their negates with vampires. Heck Monored seems pretty good too honestly. Just don't smork them. Slow it down a bit. By nature simic flash is reactionary. Don't give them the advantage of casting spells on your turn. Make them make the first move. Those snakes are useless if you aren't casting. Hold back, take it easy. I was once young like you. Look at me now, I am old and happy ;) lightning strike that wolf when it lands. Time my not be on your side but you got cheap spells. Take advantage of it. Play around their strat.

This isn't paper with your mate. It's competing with every Bo1 card game. Standard will always take control over that and I'd take a ban that Bo1 in play / ranked / constructed game triples Bo3.

Go to your GPs for that. Arena will move to Bo1 long term, like every other online card game.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh I see what they are saying. Stuff like mortify is with bo1 in mind. Honestly thats fine. I like cards that are efficient.

More things like Knight of Autumn that let you choose different effects depending on the match-up, not that it's the first card to do so, but it's useful for Bo1 to have the flexibility.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely think Bo3 is more balanced. That said, as a relative beginner who joined late, I'm spending most of my time in Bo1. Why?

1. The time commitment. Some days you don't have the time to play a lot and just wanna clear dailies fast.

2. A lot of good sideboard cards are rare / mythic. Stuff like Sorceror's Spyglass / Immortal Sun vs Planeswalkers, Shifting Ceratops vs Blue. I can't really afford to spend wild cards on these when I don't even have a full set of shocklands for any color pair.

3. Ranked Draft and Sealed are both Bo1, so I don't really have a choice as to what format to play Limited with. Ranked Draft is the only way to get gems for a F2Per / someone who doesn't spend a lot, and the risk-reward ratio for Traditional Draft is really scary. I can see myself going 0-2 twice and basically losing all my gems.

Last ranked draft went well though, went 5-3 and drafted 7 rares and a mythic. All crazy-colour intensive so I only played like 3, but still worth it. Green-Red with Domri, splashing for Dreadhorde Invasion and Ajani. There was also a Tamiyo, Karn (who sucks in limited, but a rare is rare), Finale of Devastion (in colour but too expensive) and a Bolas's Citadel. Grinded people out with Ajani and Courage in Crisis.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You know, even with sideboarding and things like that, it is quite clear that some stuff is very overpowered and some is very underpowered. Like, green is really weak at the moment. No sideboarding is going to change that.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Baffled by the idea that Bo3 is dying or going anywhere on Arena. Arena is basically the best implementation of Standard, can't imagine that there aren't a ton of people playing it either in lieu of or to supplement their paper Magic habit which is still dominated by Bo3. Not to mention that they just printed a ton of color hoser cards, quintessential sideboard tools. It's nice to have Bo1 as an option if you just want to jam something quickly, but it takes so much depth out of the game and turns so many games into coin flips.

Anyway, I decided that while Arena was taking care of all of the Standard that I wanted to play, I was still interested in playing with a little more power. So I guess I have a Modern mono red prowess deck now, and it just so happened that SCG was running a discount on full art bolts too...

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
You know, even with sideboarding and things like that, it is quite clear that some stuff is very overpowered and some is very underpowered. Like, green is really weak at the moment. No sideboarding is going to change that.

Uhh, green has arguably the 3 most powerful cards in the format, and multiple other format staples. That statement sounds very strange to me.

Oct 28, 2017
How about no. Arena is built on Bo1 and you be stupid to think otherwise. They chose to make the client with Bo1 as the key game so it's the main conversation.

Red is fucked.And they should be called out on it.

Red is not fucked. Red's in exactly the place it should be. We need a deck like red aggro in every meta. Maybe next fall it will be white, or RW. Maybe in two years it'll even be green. But we'll always have one if the meta is designed well.

Yes, Arena does feature Bo1 but only in its casual formats except for Sealed. The competitive meta event they just ran was BO3 (and it had the best prizes you could get in any event by far). They have BO3 draft and ranked play. The only time you are forced to play BO1constructed is for super casual events, and RDW isn't even good in those most of the time.

That said, RDW isn't even overly good in BO1. All those decks you get on MTGGoldfish and Arena Lists and whatever are BO3 lists. If you sit down and actually try to convert one of those to BO1, you could easily improve your RDW matchup without significantly damaging the others. There are solutions to your problems. Wizards changing how the game works is probably the worst solution to your problem.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't paper with your mate. It's competing with every Bo1 card game. Standard will always take control over that and I'd take a ban that Bo1 in play / ranked / constructed game triples Bo3.

Go to your GPs for that. Arena will move to Bo1 long term, like every other online card game.

That would be a silly move. BO3 ranked is one of the major things that makes this game superior to something like Hearthstone

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Red is not fucked. Red's in exactly the place it should be. We need a deck like red aggro in every meta. Maybe next fall it will be white, or RW. Maybe in two years it'll even be green. But we'll always have one if the meta is designed well.

Yes, Arena does feature Bo1 but only in its casual formats. Sealed is BO3, the competitive meta event they just ran was BO3 (and it had the best prizes you could get in any event by far). They have BO3 draft and ranked play. The only time you are forced to play BO1 is for super casual events, and RDW isn't even good in those most of the time.

That said, RDW isn't even overly good in BO1. All those decks you get on MTGGoldfish and Arena Lists and whatever are BO3 lists. If you sit down and actually try to convert one of those to BO1, you could easily improve your RDW matchup without significantly damaging the others. There are solutions to your problems. Wizards changing how the game works is probably the worst solution to your problem.

I agree with the rest of your points, but Sealed is sadly Bo1 in Arena.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
More things like Knight of Autumn that let you choose different effects depending on the match-up, not that it's the first card to do so, but it's useful for Bo1 to have the flexibility.

Right, I fail to see how this makes Simic Flash OP and Monored deadzo though. Not that you were making that argument.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017

Nissa is like the strongest PW in Standard right now. Hands down.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry. I usually just concede a to each their own on this. But Teferi while very, very good is nowhere as powerful in Standard as Nissa. Any other format (limited aside) and Teferi is king. Nissa does a lot more. In standard.

Teferi gives awesome card advantage turn three. This can be crucial. He also doesnt protect himself very well. Nissa not only accelerates your turns providing a better board state but protects herself AND puts an attacker on the board. Don't let her 5 CMC fool you. This is Green. She's coming down more like turn 4 with protection and a hasty attacker and also ticks up to 6. Shes got survivability. Teferi goes down from a gust of wind if you -3 on turn 3.

Also I can't stress it enough but Nissa wins games on her own. Teferi can't do that.

(Inserting Edit here): Lets put them up against each other. Monogreen Nissatron vs Esper/Azorius (Hey I tried it!)/Bant (heh).

Turn 1 (lets say Nissa won the cointoss):
Nissa: Forest Llanowar go.

Teferi: Tapland go.

Turn 2:

Nissa: Forest. 3 drop. Go.

Teferi: Island/Swamp (who are we kidding shockland, basics amirite?) Thought Erasure (its always thought erasure) makes you discard a card which depending on where on the ladder could be your most expensive or most relevent turn 3 card. Go.

Turn 3:

Nissa: Attack with 3 drop. Or 3 drop and Llanowar if no 4 drop. Cast four drop/hold back because its esper and they 140% have a board wipe of some sort and we don't overcommit. Go.

Teferi: Play untapped land. Play Baby Teferi. Bounce the three drop or 4 drop depening on the board state. Draw a card. Go.

Turn 4: Play Forest. Murder Teferi with Llanowar elf. Or di we care becausw are we playing instants? Not really this is Timmy Town. Or if you somehow had two Nissas or drew one play Nissa and then murder Teferi with a Forest. Go.

Teferi: Land. Play board wipe or vraskas Nissa.

We still have a real board state for Nissa and nothing for Teferi. Either we got a beater that needs another answer or Nissa is around powering out more cards. The more she survives the more inevitable it becomes. Green doesn't care if the board wipe happens on their turn or the opponents. The board demands answers.

Teferi can tick up to 9000 all day long and he'll be as relevant to the board. You untap nissa to 8 loyalty and you've got the game locked up more often than not.

Again Teferi is great. Tempo is awesome and outdrawing your op for answers every 3 turns is card advantage. But Nissa doesn't need assistance. Shes going to grow an army, let you cast your top ends, have blockers and if left unchecked take all the lands out of her deck so you're drawing gas and have at sone indestructable vigilant planty Werebears that have threshold. That also tap for double green.

It gets dumber with cards that support Nissa. Leylines are cute but man they really make things go dumb quickly.

Kiora and Nissa are best friends. I fear her way more than Teferi.

Nissa makes monogreen superfriends possible with both Karns and Ugin. And when you have a billion mana and drop a turn 5 god pharoah statue which is also smacking you down for 6 pretty soon it just makes me think Nissa is the best Standard Planeswalker.

I do love new Sorin which is is awesome in vamps but post rotation Nissa is going to beat out any advantage he might have right now. Nissa is ready for this and post rotation standard and if you're playing black you better maindeck Elderspells in BO1.

(Yes I'm fully of magical christmas land hyperbole but Nissa really is that good.

I never liked playing Green because its so dumb and green. But between her and Kiora theres gas and so many options at your finger tips. Having access to stupid amounts of mana will do that.

Besides... Narset is scarier than Teferi anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nissa can be nasty, that's why I've got Ritual of Soot and Noxious Grasp packed away in the sideboard. They're lifesavers for me.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Nissa can be nasty, that's why I've got Ritual of Soot and Noxious Grasp packed away in the sideboard. They're lifesavers for me.

Now you're catching on. I think Monoblack control is a good foil to monogreen. Massacre Girl loves that elf flesh and trees.

And goblins and knights and vampires and merfolk. Yeah, she eats aggro up.

But thankfully put in check by Esper.

Its almost as if theres no one perfect deck!? Weird.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The argument for Teferi 3 maybe edging out Nissa is that there is no drawback/risk associated with dropping Teferi. Board wiping or exiling Nissa's lands are brutal risks the card brings.

Teferi on the other hand gets you card draw and a tempo advantage at no additional cost.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Arena is not meant to replace paper magic and it won't. The fact is, the majority are casuals will play Bo1 and the casuals will dictate the game due the F2P. Why would they ever go Bo3 when the rewards are slower.

Bo1 for Red is just BS. There are 9 cards in standard right now that do 3 damage to any target. And when I can get 7 wins comfortable in constructed Bo1 it's not cool for anyone. (I feel dirty doing it).

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Arena is not meant to replace paper magic and it won't. The fact is, the majority are casuals will play Bo1 and the casuals will dictate the game due the F2P. Why would they ever go Bo3 when the rewards are slower.

Bo1 for Red is just BS. There are 9 cards in standard right now that do 3 damage to any target. And when I can get 7 wins comfortable in constructed Bo1 it's not cool for anyone. (I feel dirty doing it).
I have a Mono-White Lifegain Bo1 deck that's pretty GG for Mono-Red if you'd like me to share!

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
This budget Cavalcade of Calamity Deck is amazing at running people over, even managing a turn 4 kill on the draw against a opponent Turn 4 Nissa with damage to spare

Turn 1: Opponent Llanowar Elf. Shock the Elf
Turn 2: Opponent Incubation Druid. I cast Goblin Instigator
Turn 3: Risen Reef. I cast Chandra's Spitfire.
Turn 4: Nissa, animate a land. I cast 2 Cavalcades. 6 Triggers, Spitfire hits for 19

And its super budget too. You can get the 4 Spitfires just from the Chandra Deck that was being given away. Add 4x Cavalcades, 1 power 1-2 drops and burn and thats basically it. No rares needed (though Steam-kin, Legion Warboss and Krenko all work well if you have them, Frenzy is way too slow in my experience). And its mono-red so you rarely have land problems

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
atm the deck I have the most fun with is boros feather, locking people out of the game on turn three is sweet :v

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I use Duress. They have four cards in hand. Nissa, Mass Manipulation, and two lands. If I don't get rid of Nissa it's going to snowball hard. MM is annoying, but all they have on board are two Llanowar Elves, so him grabbing my two guys isn't a huge deal. So I get rid of Nissa. Next turn they MM, like I expected, but I have two first strike minions in hand, so I throw those down and I should be good. Nope, they top deck another MM. Now, they have everything and I have nothing.

giphy.gif

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Blew all my rares (and a surprisingly ammount of commons) on the UG flash deck. Some people get pretty angry because, you know, all the counterspells and overall not being sure what to do, but I think it is a very legit deck, it's not particularly OP and the game doesn't last forever because the goal still is to put midrange creatures on board.
But people hate playing against counterspells.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Blew all my rares (and a surprisingly ammount of commons) on the UG flash deck. Some people get pretty angry because, you know, all the counterspells and overall not being sure what to do, but I think it is a very legit deck, it's not particularly OP and the game doesn't last forever because the goal still is to put midrange creatures on board.
But people hate playing against counterspells.

After playing some more against it (and the MonoU variant), it's really not OP. Counter-spells are still 1:1 interaction most of the time if annoying to play against. The deck is very good if they can keep Spectral Sailor alive to use as a mana sink.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
After playing some more against it (and the MonoU variant), it's really not OP. Counter-spells are still 1:1 interaction most of the time if annoying to play against. The deck is very good if they can keep Spectral Sailor alive to use as a mana sink.

Yes. You eventually run out of counterspells (tho by that time, you're probably also starting to build a board).
And aside from Spectral Sailor, you don't really draw cards.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
m14vKuX.png

finally a 5-0 with boros feather.
not a single elemental deck this time, which makes honor guards and tomik almost worthless :'V

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few casual matches with a GW Arkbow build. Seems like it could be powerful against all the counter spells. When you dig with Arkbow, you're not actually casting anything so their counter spells are worth less. It runs Tolsimir and Nightpack which will also constantly fight their stuff every turn.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Quest: Kill 15 opponent's minions. Hmm, this might take me more than one game.

My opponent is playing Temur Elementals and they create a 16 stack of 2/2 zombies. I have Kaya's Wrath in hand. That felt good.

D6l8fu1.gif

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Built a Golgari+w Moldervines pile with the w being there for Kaya's Wrath. Not good in the least, but supremely satisfying to win with.

Also? Status report on Hydra deck: It is shocking how little attacking I do with this thing. It's basically a matter of building an impenetrable wall of fatties and watching the opponent either concede or swinging in with two of them and getting the kill.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Built a Golgari+w Moldervines pile with the w being there for Kaya's Wrath. Not good in the least, but supremely satisfying to win with.

Also? Status report on Hydra deck: It is shocking how little attacking I do with this thing. It's basically a matter of building an impenetrable wall of fatties and watching the opponent either concede or swinging in with two of them and getting the kill.

Hydras are fun because once you plop down a ginormus trampler either they got an immediate answer or not. Makes the games go quick.