• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Magic the Gathering: Arena |OT| Now in Open Beta

Lyng

Writer at Joypad.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is event has almost completely taken my will to play magic arena away. Loosing on the second game feels horrible and you are more or less forced to grind this to have any chance of completing the battlepass.
Definately not buying the next battlepass, and I have a feeling several players wont. Like the Professor said about the paper brawl packs not including codes for arena, WotC just seem completely unable to make business decisions that make long term sense.

Oct 28, 2017
This is event has almost completely taken my will to play magic arena away. Loosing on the second game feels horrible and you are more or less forced to grind this to have any chance of completing the battlepass.
Definately not buying the next battlepass, and I have a feeling several players wont. Like the Professor said about the paper brawl packs not including codes for arena, WotC just seem completely unable to make business decisions that make long term sense.
I felt the same and then I realized that completing the battlepass doesn’t matter. The rewards are not any better at the end so I’ve already got the vast majority of the benefit at level 90. That’s good enough.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if anyone here saw this calculator on Reddit or not. It's a simple xp calculator that tells you how much xp you have remaining from daily / weekly wins, and how many wins you'd need to get through the catch up event to max out the mastery pass. Very useful and showed me that I don't need to bother with the event at all and I'll be fine on the mastery pass.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I’m in the minority, but the mastery pass seems like great value to me even if you end up far from finishing it. Would folks rather finish it easily and stop getting additional rewards partway through the season?

cagey

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I’m in the minority, but the mastery pass seems like great value to me even if you end up far from finishing it. Would folks rather finish it easily and stop getting additional rewards partway through the season?
A lot of the variance in perceived value between players is how you value cosmetics.

They're worthless to me, for example.

Forerunner

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
San Diego
I hit 100 a few weeks ago and haven't played since. I just like card backs so that's the main reason I wanted to hit it. I hope they have a random card back option one day, were it'll just randomly select one of yours before each match, like HS has. Right now I'm just waiting for ToE before diving back in.

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
As I understand it, the break-even point is apparently level 43, though obviously how much you care about cosmetics is going to influence that.

Lyng

Writer at Joypad.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
thisisrandomness.gif
Yeah this event should only be played if you dont like your gold.

Had my second loss to an opponent who got three "gain control of creatures" in a row. disgusting

Played the event twice now. 4 straight losses strickly because my opponent got bombs and I got duds. Yeah this event is not for me. This will be for people who like the crossroads event in hearthstone.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Who said easily? Now you had to grind consistently for almost the whole season to make it, or grind insanely in a single event in the last couple of weeks. I missed maybe a month at the beginning of the season, but made sure to complete every quest and get all weekly XP after that, and I've exclusively played the event after it launched. Still, according to that calculator I gotta win the event 18 more times.

The problem is that there are no catch-up mechanics. You fall behind on the pass, you're left behind. The 2020 event is a really awkward way to fix that.

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
I'd definitely not buy the mastery pass until the end of a season, then I can judge for myself whether then price is worth what I get out of it. I don't want to have to buy it early on based on the promise that I'll get value out of it by playing Arena a whole bunch, especially if I'm getting burned out and feel like taking a few weeks off the game (like I did last month). That'd be harder if I spend that time feeling like I'm actively wasting money I've already spent, rather than just deciding not to spend it a few days before the next set.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Who said easily? Now you had to grind consistently for almost the whole season to make it, or grind insanely in a single event in the last couple of weeks. I missed maybe a month at the beginning of the season, but made sure to complete every quest and get all weekly XP after that, and I've exclusively played the event after it launched. Still, according to that calculator I gotta win the event 18 more times.

The problem is that there are no catch-up mechanics. You fall behind on the pass, you're left behind. The 2020 event is a really awkward way to fix that.
Still, missing a month and being able to get within 3-4 levels of max isn't that bad. I totally agree that the xp could be more generous. I'm guessing that we'll see an easier time getting xp for the Eldraine mastery pass. In the end, the intent is to get people to buy the passes, so getting people upset at the xp grind isn't going to help them sell more. I still can't stress enough that there's no reason to buy the pass until the very end when you know exactly what you'll be getting.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Arena just got a small patch. Standard 2020 event is now play until you lose twice. 1 win gets you 50 xp, 2 wins gets you 150 xp, and a 3rd win gives 250 xp. Hopefully that'll make the grind a little easier for anyone who needs it.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Arena just got a small patch. Standard 2020 event is now play until you lose twice. 1 win gets you 50 xp, 2 wins gets you 150 xp, and a 3rd win gives 250 xp. Hopefully that'll make the grind a little easier for anyone who needs it.
Good change for people behind on the Mastery Pass. Thankfully I've played nearly every day since the pass released and I'm at 95 right now and shouldn't have to play the event at all.

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
Been trying out my new rotation-proof mono-black control deck for the Standard 2020 event.

4 Sanitarium Skeleton (M20) 112
4 Yarok's Fenlurker (M20) 123
4 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
3 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94

3 Duress (M20) 97
3 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
4 Liliana's Triumph (WAR) 98
3 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
3 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97

24 Swamp (M20) 271
It's fun, if a bit slow. Ritual of Soot helps tremendously against Cavalcade decks (provided Sanitarium Skeleton, Disfigure and Duress let me survive long enough to cast it) and Liliana's Triumph is great against Simic Flash. I'm a bit torn between Yarok's Fenlurker and Orzhov Enforcer for the 2-drop slot but being able to buff up the former against an empty board is handy.

There's not too much in the upcoming set that could be added, but Castle of Locthwain is a must have rare land and Murderous Rider will probably replace Plaguecrafter.