• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing recently and it's a real bummer that the colour challenge is locking me out of certain modes right now despite having all of them prior to the update, maybe because I didn't completely finish the mastery tree. The last thing I want to do is fight against the AI.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone having INSANE performance issues since the patch? My frame rate goes to potato every match now. Never had any issues before the patch.

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question. Will all of the cards coming out this year in card packs not be used in constructed decks in 2021? Or do certain cards carry over to be used in 2021? Wasn't sure how that worked when they went from 2019 MTG Arena to 2020.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I have a question. Will all of the cards coming out this year in card packs not be used in constructed decks in 2021? Or do certain cards carry over to be used in 2021? Wasn't sure how that worked when they went from 2019 MTG Arena to 2020.

As far as standard is concerned, when Zendikar Resurgent releases this fall, Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark, and Core 2020 rotate out. When the fall set is released in 2021, Throne of Eldraine, Theros, Ikoria, and Core 2021 rotate out, and so on.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

Standard Constructed is cards from the last 2 years. The rotation is each fall. So Throne of Eldraine and Theros: Beyond Death will be standard-legal until fall 2021. Same for the next two upcoming sets (Ikoria and Core Set 2021). The other sets currently in standard (Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark and Core 2020) are from last year and will rotate out this fall (2020).

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks guys! Kinda glad they don't immediately get rotated out, was worried that they would as soon as 2021 rolls around.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
This reflects the previous standard rotation, but it should help visualize how it works:

standard-rotation-2-1024x576.jpg

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Sad confession time: I have no mtga friends. If you would like one more please think of sending me an invite, thanks.

bunbun777#17000

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Historic Brawl event gave me an excuse to get my old Arcades "Big Booty" deck out of the closet and man, what a classic. Sucks that he rotated out right as they implemented Brawl in general.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, it's such a shame field was unbanned in historic as I really was feeling like jumping into it. The new answers to it are a joke.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man gotta love it when net decking and busted cards allow idiots to essentially auto pilot ot a win. Guy slams a dream trawler and then next turn attempts to elspeth my kroxa. Who needs to read when your hand is a dream trawler and infinite counters?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't believe people that say there's no sort of matchmaking for decks when I decided to play my high alert jank deck today and have gotten 75% decks with enchantment removal sideboard cards in them that I've never seen outside of draft, if ever (that random one that tucks the enchantment to the bottom of your deck, multiple flaxen intruder decks that seem to be based solely around playing flaxen intruder then recurring her out of the graveyard... so specific lol). The dead giveaway is not seeing is a single mono red deck ALL DAY with that deck, the one deck that having mostly 0/4 and 0/5 creatures stall while searching for high alert, would actually do pretty well against. any other day mono red would be 2 out of 3 decks I'm playing against lol.

So if matchmaking doesnt exist, I'm flabbergasted tbh.

Does Brawl still not complete quests?
Pretty sure it does and has for a while?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a pretty enchantment removal heavy standard, I know I'd be stuffing plenty of enchantment removal in the mainboard.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe people that say there's no sort of matchmaking for decks when I decided to play my high alert jank deck today and have gotten 75% decks with enchantment removal sideboard cards in them that I've never seen outside of draft, if ever (that random one that tucks the enchantment to the bottom of your deck, multiple flaxen intruder decks that seem to be based solely around playing flaxen intruder then recurring her out of the graveyard... so specific lol). The dead giveaway is not seeing is a single mono red deck ALL DAY with that deck, the one deck that having mostly 0/4 and 0/5 creatures stall while searching for high alert, would actually do pretty well against. any other day mono red would be 2 out of 3 decks I'm playing against lol.

Pretty sure it does and has for a while?

It does do deck-based matchmaking. It just doesn't do it based on what your cards do. We don't know how it works. Somehow it tries to see how janky your deck is. And I'm sure it's far from the only metric.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Swiftblade Vindicator might be my new favorite card. It's sooooooo easy to just bulldoze people with it if you get a fast start and glaring aegis

I know. I've been saying the matchmaking has been ridiculous for awhile now. It's obvious there is some kind of deck based matchmaking going on. The problem is they don't tell us how it works so we are forced to just guess at what's going on.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a pretty enchantment removal heavy standard, I know I'd be stuffing plenty of enchantment removal in the mainboard.
I guess it's possible that most other people I play against just happen to have dead cards in their hand every other game I play with normal decks lol.
It does do deck-based matchmaking. It just doesn't do it based on what your cards do. We don't know how it works. Somehow it tries to see how janky your deck is. And I'm sure it's far from the only metric.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the jank is part of it. Have they ever said anything official? It's just so obvious to me when I play meta decks, it's mono red or UW control, with a splash of fires or mono white lifegain. If it's some jank giant tribal deck, I'm playing against someone with two leylines of abundance, mana dork ramping to nyxbloom ancient on turn 4 and immediately adding a million counters to everything (or at least attempting to play a deck built around that).

I'll say tho, after playing against that exact deck today I wanna kinda make it now lol. I just wish it didn't actually work so well against me.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I guess it's possible that most other people I play against just happen to have dead cards in their hand every other game I play with normal decks lol.

Honestly, Fires of Invention alone made maindeck enchantment-hate very sensible, and that was before Theros threw a ton more enchantments into the mix. The 1-mana 'enchantment to bottom of deck' card you described is also an excellent counter to indestructible gods, especially Thassa who has been very prevalent.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I desperately need a rank below Gold Tier 4. I hit it a week and a half ago and I swear my win percentage is somewhere around 30% now.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
So tired of playing against RDW. Seems like that is 90% of my matchups now. Also had some of the worst mana screw yesterday. In 9 games, 7 of then drew nothing but lands for 5 turns, and in 1 I kept a 2 lander and drew no lands in 8 turns. Sometimes feels like the game just decides to screw you.

Did a Theros draft and was going Orzhov, pack 3 never saw a black card.

Might keep grinding Standard, debating just joining in with a red deck. Cant beat em, might as well join them.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
So tired of playing against RDW. Seems like that is 90% of my matchups now. Also had some of the worst mana screw yesterday. In 9 games, 7 of then drew nothing but lands for 5 turns, and in 1 I kept a 2 lander and drew no lands in 8 turns. Sometimes feels like the game just decides to screw you.

Did a Theros draft and was going Orzhov, pack 3 never saw a black card.

Might keep grinding Standard, debating just joining in with a red deck. Cant beat em, might as well join them.
Play best of 3? Nowhere near as much RDW and even when you face them you can sideboard and mulligan correctly.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017

This is pretty cool!

Speaking of which, who would be up for a ResetEra tournament? I already asked this during the Christmas holidays but now seems like a better time given most of us are quarantined at home.

Maybe something chill, like singleton, pauper, or with the starter decks, so anybody can join.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah these events sound really good. it would be nice if after all is said and done they worm their way into being a regular thing like the workshop

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd be down for a resetera tournament. My love don't seem to be doing the fnm stuff, at least not just yet

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
WB Hateful Auras is fun and actually kind of good. I did play against someone that had Leyline Void (lol?) and it completely nullifies the deck.

54HP and only 4 lands!

wbhateful.png

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
WB Hateful Auras is fun and actually kind of good. I did play against someone that had Leyline Void (lol?) and it completely nullifies the deck.

54HP and only 4 lands!

wbhateful.png
Leylines are so obnoxious. They're way too slow if they arent in you're opening hand and way too narrowly powerful if they are. In some matchups dropping it is just an 'i win' before the game even starts or seeing if it even makes sense to play against the enemy deck.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Dang, I feel bad for this Temur Clover opponent I just faced. I'm playing Rakdos Aristocrats and the second game I managed to survive triple clover, 2 beanstalk giants, a borrower, storm's wrath, and 2 lovestruck beasts. By all accounts I should've lost that game. I even got down to 1 life. So lucky they never drew a Fae of Wishes lol.

Most undeserved 2-0 I've gotten this season.

Sitting in Diamond 1 now, hopefully I'll get Mythic this week.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I don't understand this game lol

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Funny story on this draft
I was 2 losses and 0 wins in the beginning because fuck RNG.
And then suddenly...I got 7 straight wins in a row and I'm like WTF?????????

this was a 750 gem draft too...so somehow i got my moneys worth!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love Revenge of Ravens. Been a few games today where the other player has loads of creatures - but all of them have a power of 1 or 2 - ready to attack but I've had a couple of Revenge of Ravens just sitting there. It's a great feeling.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
WTF arena, WHAT THE FUCK. livid. I just lost a game because, even with full control on, the client didnt give me a change to respond to dreadful apathy exile with flicker of fate and move it to another creature. an easy win turned into a loss because the client fucking sucks. I just did it the game before so there's literally no reason it shouldnt have worked.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Started Plat 2 and two hours later I'm Plat 2.

giphy.gif

I don't really mind though. I mainly play for dailies and the enjoyment of the game. I just play rank because it adds another element to the game. I was playing a mono black deck and went down to plat 4 then I switched to WB hateful Arua and bounced back to plat 2. I'm sure if I played mono red or Temur I could blow through to Diamond, but those decks don't interest me. None of the meta decks interest me this expansion. Also I'm playing BO1, so that's part of the problem. Like I said, I don't really mind, you just have to go roll with the punches.

Last edited:

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Got to mythic a couple days ago with rakdos aristocrats. Enjoyed it, surprisingly. I love Rakdos and play those colors whenever I can.

No clue what I'm gonna play next season. Since we only have half a season before Ikoria, I think I'm just gonna play something random and not meta.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally got over the hump into Platinum using a Rakdos deck built around Captive Audience. People just don't seem to know what to do about it once it hits the field. 90% of the time they just concede immediately. It's hilarious.

I don't think I am gonna push for Diamond though. I have been working on a mono blue deck built around Thassa and Agent of Treachery so I think I am gonna roll with that for a bit just for fun.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got over the hump into Platinum using a Rakdos deck built around Captive Audience. People just don't seem to know what to do about it once it hits the field. 90% of the time they just concede immediately. It's hilarious.

I don't think I am gonna push for Diamond though. I have been working on a mono blue deck built around Thassa and Agent of Treachery so I think I am gonna roll with that for a bit just for fun.
My main issue with standard right now is it seems like "fun" is making your opponents time with the game as miserable as possible. The meta just seems really toxic right now (at least in arena).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My main issue with standard right now is it seems like "fun" is making your opponents time with the game as miserable as possible. The meta just seems really toxic right now (at least in arena).
Well it's legitimate strategy. If you frustrate your opponent enough that they start making mistakes then that's an advantage for you. Though it doesn't help that there are some combinations that are downright cancerous. Thassa + Agent of Treachery is pretty overpowered and also very frustrating for example.

Do you have specific examples of your own where you felt like your opponent was being intentionally toxic or frustrating?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's legitimate strategy. If you frustrate your opponent enough that they start making mistakes then that's an advantage for you. Though it doesn't help that there are some combinations that are downright cancerous. Thassa + Agent of Treachery is pretty overpowered and also very frustrating for example.

Do you have specific examples of your own where you felt like your opponent was being intentionally toxic or frustrating?
I don't know, I feel if you're playing W/U right now your intentionally trying to be frustrating, but it's more that it's so strong and consistent that the meta isn't diverse enough. Maybe I'm just more used to a local meta, which doesn't usually boil down to a handful of competitive decks. I also don't think the fact that daily and weekly rewards are handed out on wins helps either.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know, I feel if you're playing W/U right now your intentionally trying to be frustrating, but it's more that it's so strong and consistent that the meta isn't diverse enough. Maybe I'm just more used to a local meta, which doesn't usually boil down to a handful of competitive decks. I also don't think the fact that daily and weekly rewards are handed out on wins helps either.
W/U?

And yeah I don't know enough to comment on the Meta. I've only been playing Magic for a few months now. Some friends of mine introduced me to Arena and I've gotten a bit addicted to it despite it's flaws.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people seem upset about the meta right now, but I think it's mostly just set fatigue. The meta is pretty varied right now, there's a lot of viable top tier decks. There's even more decks viable for climbing on Arena efficiently. To be honest I thought I was wrong on this, but I was watching Reid Duke play today and someone asked him about the meta, and he said he thinks it's quite varied right now and in a good spot. I get the frustration though, the meta currently is about huge swings in momentum. Whether in aggro, control, ramp, or combo. It can be frustrating to lose hard in a turn or two and feel like there's no way to dig yourself out.

What helps me is to limit my play on Arena to just a couple hours every day. I get tilted less often. Also if I don't feel like playing, I don't play. It's easy for those daily/weekly wins to get you in the mindset that you have to play (and WIN) constantly, which leads to frustration when you don't win. Play when you want to instead.

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ever been on a draft thinking "Why am I winning so much with such a shitty deck?"
I just went 7-1 in core 2019 draft with a white blue deck that shouldn't have gotten more than 3 wins.

Jul 14, 2018
Warning: I did not realize how much bitching I was about to do when beginning this post. Sorry for the vibes!

...but I think it's mostly just set fatigue.

I came back to the game just before Kaladesh rotated. Ramunap Red featuring Hazoret was the darling of that next Pro Tour and it was pretty cool seeing a RDW archetype claim tier 1 status for the first time since Jackal Pup-era Sligh (I was not playing during the Goblins run with Onslaught if that was comparable). Since then, probably 55% of my matches have been against RDW. It's miserable. It's been like 4 years. The deck I'm playing changes, but the deck I'm playing against never seems to.

I'm glad there is a cheap option for people to get into Arena with, but does it also have to be the fun police deck that ensures you're toast if you ever miss a 4th land drop? I can't even enjoy brewing because my bad deck ideas will not even threaten to get off the ground before being splattered against the pavement.

As for the healthy meta-game, my roommate swears that the 3 flavors of UG decks right now are each uniquely interesting and he's probably right. I just can't shake the impression that standard is a pile of good stuff cards and the UG decks, while strategically diverse, still pull from the same stock of Uro, Brazen Borrower, Nissa, and Krasis. I wish singleton was better supported =(

Anyway, Reid Duke is a nice guy and certainly knows better than myself. I think it's totally possible for the metagame to be healthy whilst the format is still boring as hell. And that's where we are.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Warning: I did not realize how much bitching I was about to do when beginning this post. Sorry for the vibes!
I totally understand. Are you playing in best of 1? I only really see Mono Red there. It pops up occasionally in Best of 3, but I think all season I've played against it maybe 3 times? From Plat to Mythic. Last season it wasn't too frequent either and I had to get to Mythic from Gold.

UG is strong for sure. However the other colors have their decks and UGx isn't so oppressive that you can't play anything else. It's not like it was during Simic Nexus/Food times. As a Rakdos fan, it's nice to have the color pair be relevant finally. I know it's all about Cat/Oven now and people hate that, but we had the Knights package as well (still do).

That said, I definitely don't disagree that Arena encourages people to play the most efficient decks so they show up often. It also does a poor job of catering to other formats and I really hope they change their focus on Standard. Brawl could've been so much more, and I think having a permanent format/event that encourages brewing or low powered decks would be nice. Oh and Phantom Draft!!!

No worries on the remarks. Trust me, before Theros I was about ready to quit this game myself.

EDIT: Not to knock my own point in the previous post, but while Reid was positive on the meta right now, there are plenty complaining about it. Yesterday I tuned into Crokeyz and he was raging about the meta (but he's always raging :p). I'm sure you could find pro players that agree. So it's not fair for me to say it's all just set fatigue, people are upset for a reasons more than that.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
You can play quite a variety of decks right now, but your opponents sure don't. RDW, GUx or Fires.

Reclamation and adventures are functionally different enough within GUx to be worth mentioning, although they share the characteristic of being able to shit out way more mana than reasonable. I think that's my main issue. I like it when mana matters, and 80% of the meta has basically infinite mana from turn 3 or 4.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
UGx is definitely a problem and lame to play against. Can you imagine what things would be like now if they never did the bans? Can't believe they wanted to have that stuff legal alongside Uro, hah.

But anyway, on a lighter note. The joy of being done with the ranked grind is that I can mess around in Historic Play and bust out that old Izzet Wizards deck. It was never a good deck, but I for some reason can't stop enjoying it.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
UGx is frustrating as fuck. I'd rather play against RDW for an eternity than play against it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
After all the UGx complaining I get my only red source destroyed by a turn 4 Casualties of War (along with a planeswalker and creature ofc).

But yeah, keep printing cheap cards that ramp and cycle WOTC, I love it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wizards needs to step in and set a deck size limit for ranked. 250 card decks should not be allowed in serious play.

Last edited: