• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Is this pay to win? I really want to try it out but if I am going to be in a Hearthstone thing again then ill pass.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arena is live but Guilds of Ravnica sealed isn't until 2h45m from now, you need to complete 3 quests (play a game, play 5 lands, deal 10 damage) (apparently they are random quests) one at a time before being able to play any events so I'd recommend getting them out of the way now.

Last edited:

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
Hey if you like this you might qlso check out Forge for Windows/Android. Playing MTG with all the cards for free on mobile is fucking liberating and the amount of work these guys have put in for a free app is astounding. Closest I will ever get to shandalar again..

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Do I get to keep all I get now into the final game? I did not got access to the closed beta and my pc couldn't run it then.

Also, amazed how little talk there is about the game here.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not and there's no plans for it to be anytime soon. They want to avoid the 30% cut they'd have to give steam.

Do I get to keep all I get now into the final game? I did not got access to the closed beta and my pc couldn't run it then.

Also, amazed how little talk there is about the game here.

Agreed, but I'm expecting this to pick up now that the game is in open beta and there will no longer be any wipes.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone doing an OT?

It's going to be interesting with this and Artifact both launching so close to each other.

Both offer completely different card experiences.

Magic is the 25 year old paper game finally making the transition to digital, while artifact is a game that can only exist in digital.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How expensive would be to build a dimir deck? I don't feel like grinding in a game like magic, so may as well, pour some money and get a deck

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I will play tonight and see if this motivates me to go to prerelease on Saturday even if only to collect the codes that will come on the prerelease packs

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does this have a friend list on release? Like, how could I d if I want to play with a friend?

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to try this after work. Used to go to my LCS bi-weekly for drafts. Always had a blast. But since my son was born in Feb last year, haven't gone. At first it was to help the wife with him, and now I just don't wanna be away from little man. But damn have I missed playing Magic.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this event is stingy as fuck. You win 5 games to get TWO cards? Like, two?
It would already be not that great if you got two packs given the time investiment, but two cards? Holy hell.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this event is stingy as fuck. You win 5 games to get TWO cards? Like, two?
It would already be not that great if you got two packs given the time investiment, but two cards? Holy hell.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing. Was hoping for at least a bit of gold.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The event rewards are awful because it's a free event. The ones with an entry cost have better rewards.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am really over this whole card, gold and daily grind. The game seems nicely done and Magic is still the best Card game out there from those that I played. But I really can't stand the whole grind anymore and how you fall behind when you don't play regularly. Here is hope that Artifact offers a better solution to that problem.

MoxManiac

Nov 17, 2017
So i randomly put a vine mare in the green precon for whatever reason and my next game was against the monoblack precon. lulz

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I am really over this whole card, gold and daily grind. The game seems nicely done and Magic is still the best Card game out there from those that I played. But I really can't stand the whole grind anymore and how you fall behind when you don't play regularly. Here is hope that Artifact offers a better solution to that problem.
Artifact has no way to earn free cards AFAIK so while there is no grind, there is also no way to earn cards at all without paying.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Yes, the codename for that solution is P2W

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal give me so much free stuff I don't know I'll be able to mentally deal with rewards that are in cards, not in packs.
Eternal gives you free cards - including rares and legendaries - for WATCHING STREAMS.
That's it. You leave an Eternal stream on the background and it starts giving you free stuff.

Also the UI is incredibly better.
Sorry if I'm too much of an Eternal fanboy on this thread, but as of now, that game is so much better than this one save for one detail - this one is called Magic: The Gathering.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eternal give me so much free stuff I don't know I'll be able to mentally deal with rewards that are in cards, not in packs.
Eternal gives you free cards - including rares and legendaries - for WATCHING STREAMS.
That's it. You leave an Eternal stream on the background and it starts giving you free stuff.

Also the UI is incredibly better.
Sorry if I'm too much of an Eternal fanboy on this thread, but as of now, that game is so much better than this one save for one detail - this one is called Magic: The Gathering.

In Magic's defense, the twitch drops for Eternal really only started last week and they'll end next week when the new expansion drops.

Eternal also has had much longer to work on their UI and game.

As someone who plays eternal daily, I'll probably drop it now that magic is in open beta. I enjoy aggro decks and they don't stand a chance in the current eternal meta.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
In Magic's defense, the twitch drops for Eternal really only started last week and they'll end next week when the new expansion drops.

Eternal also has had much longer to work on their UI and game.

As someone who plays eternal daily, I'll probably drop it now that magic is in open beta. I enjoy aggro decks and they don't stand a chance in the current eternal meta.

Combrei aggro is the #1 deck right now. Tokens is also near the top. Only rakano and skycrag are not stellar rn. (tho Rakano have a very solid valkyries deck)

And even if you exclude the drops, I only mentioned it because it is how eternal rewards you with single cards (also silver chests). Most rewards in Eternal are in packs, which makes sense because the ideal is that you complete the commons and uncommons asap and then the grind is for rares and legendaries.
Because you can start building reasonable budget decks as long as you have a near complete collection of commons and uncommons; then as you collect rares and legendaries, you "graduate".

Right now in Arena, I don't see myself building even good pauper decks.
-
This is to say, it's ok for me to grind to have a top tier deck that wins tournaments, but rn the game is pretty much only giving me the pre-made decks, I can't build for myself not even cheap stuff.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If the game isn't fun to play without paying money then that's a whole other problem.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone get their code for the planes walkers to work? Got mine emailed to me, but it isn't working in game.

Combrei aggro is the #1 deck right now. Tokens is also near the top. Only rakano and skycrag are not stellar rn. (tho Rakano have a very solid valkyries deck)

And even if you exclude the drops, I only mentioned it because it is how eternal rewards you with single cards (also silver chests). Most rewards in Eternal are in packs, which makes sense because the ideal is that you complete the commons and uncommons asap and then the grind is for rares and legendaries.
Because you can start building reasonable budget decks as long as you have a near complete collection of commons and uncommons; then as you collect rares and legendaries, you "graduate".

-
This is to say, it's ok for me to grind to have a top tier deck that wins tournaments, but rn the game is pretty much only giving me the pre-made decks, I can't build for myself not even cheap stuff.

Fair enough. I think there's no debate that Eternal is far more generous than magic or hearthstone.

I'll have to check out that aggro deck in Eternal.

For me I just enjoy playing Magic a lot more than Eternal. It definitely sucks in the beginning playing with suboptimal decks (especially after having my tier 1 decks wiped with the move to open beta), but that's true with most card games.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This one is F2P correct? Might try it while deciding if I should buy Artifact. I'm probably in for Gwent single player just to have one card game where I can blame cheating AI for my bad performance :p

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017

-

I'm looking forward to trying Arena when I get home, I too have been playing Eternal since open beta an am floored by its generosity. It's really the only thing keeping me around, though I just end up doing my daily pack and make sure I don't overflow on the other dailies. I don't expect to enjoy MtG:A too much it's more greedy and cause they both have systems I'm completely burnt out on. Mana screw/flood causing even more non-games which in Eternal seems soooo frequent, I'm getting tilted just thinking about it. Looking for Arena to be a nice break from Eternal. I'm looking forward to Artifact so much more every day though..

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
What in the f, I can hover over the cards in the Twitch stream and zoom in to read the text. What is this sorcery!?

For any of our streamer folks interested in this functionality, it's a third-party extension called Deckmaster.

This one is F2P correct? Might try it while deciding if I should buy Artifact. I'm probably in for Gwent single player just to have one card game where I can blame cheating AI for my bad performance :p

F2P, pretty easy to earn packs on the daily, but the grind to pay for events is pretty heavy.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They really polished the client over time.

These card backs make me so nostalgic.

MtG is still such a good game.

This... is kind of where I might be. I am definitely going to play, and starting off with 3 free packs + 3 Planeswalkers + being here from the jump helps but I think I may be done with this model.

The grind seems tough, and it may be cheaper for me to buy Artifact cards than MtG packs for Wildcards.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game F2P? The most interesting thing about Artifact is the economic model. No F2P elements at all, no in game currency, no rewards for grinding. You pay for cards and I think you can only buy/sell cards for real money. Not sure about trading.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played Singleton for 4 hours now and didn't get a single run with more than two wins because of 3 perfect top decks as answers in a row and other bullshit or running into people who obviously had a shitton of gems and are just stomping me.
It's the same shit as when the closed beta started, the starter decks are shit and there is almost no means to get better cards at the beginning because of how the system works.
Also did anybody notice the cards you get from the Singleton seem to be, for some mircale, almost all Ixalan cards? Might not have to do something with the fact that rotates out first right?...Right???

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
Also did anybody notice the cards you get from the Singleton seem to be, for some mircale, almost all Ixalan cards? Might not have to do something with the fact that rotates out first right?...Right???

Ixalan, Dominaria, and M19 all rotate out of Standard at the same time.