• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no I don't think so, it's a method to get precisely what you want at any given moment if you're ok with trading down.
I wouldn't have better decks in HS rn but I would be able to forego being able to build certain decks to complete the ones I have built.

Also I'm a spike in constructed I'll always netdecks unless wotc adds an EDH like format.
the reality is though, seeing and having played hearthstone for years, is that people will build the specific decks that are 'meta' and 'strong' and experimentation dies down.

It may not be true for you, but hearthstone has shown in spades through ever set of cards that people just pinpoint the optimal and don't experiment.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
the reality is though, seeing and having played hearthstone for years, is that people will build the specific decks that are 'meta' and 'strong' and experimentation dies down.

It may not be true for you, but hearthstone has shown in spades through ever set of cards that people just pinpoint the optimal and don't experiment.
I don't see a problem, experimentation isn't done bottom up generally. It's the content creators that experiment both in magic and in HS.

I'm a spike a funny deck is really only that. I don't derive any fun from playing them and I don't derive any fun from doing well w/ suboptimal cards as substitutes.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a problem, experimentation isn't done bottom up generally. It's the content creators that experiment both in magic and in HS.

I'm a spike a funny deck is really only that. I don't derive any fun from playing them and I don't derive any fun from doing well w/ suboptimal cards as substitutes.

and it's the content creators who can afford buying packs, getting dust, and crafting all cards.

Lower experienced players will watch these pros, and then do the same thing and play the same decks. Only the players who can spend money will be able to experiment, and everything but the highest rank will have 'optimal' decks with no experimentation.

It's a bad idea.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
and it's the content creators who can afford buying packs, getting dust, and crafting all cards.

Lower experienced players will watch these pros, and then do the same thing and play the same decks. Only the players who can spend money will be able to experiment, and everything but the highest rank will have 'optimal' decks with no experimentation.

It's a bad idea.
I don't see a difference except that I'm denied the option to get exactly what I want for longer and that I can't follow meta moves even w/in my chosen deck.
Like I have an almost completely built Jeskai deck but I can't improve my GB matchup cause I don't have Star of Extinction for the sideboard.

I also don't know how you expect people to build cohesive decks when experimenting w/o spending wild cards. Wild Cards they'll have to spend on bad cards potentially. Not to mention that even when experimenting you need a good manabase for everything not mono colour so you need a large amount of rare wild cards anyway and lock yourself into certain colours.

Experimenting to me is for casual formats like EDH that arena doesn't offer. Singleton isn't around for long enough to experiment much. Last time it was available I was only able to play it once.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyways, I have a question

I had an opponent who had a Nightveil Predator, 3 Siren Stormtamer, and Dreamcaller Siren on his side of the board(Him being a blue/black deck). He didn't have any enchantments or equips up, or any transformed land.

On my side were 2 Leonin Vanguards, and 1 Inspiring Vanguard(After attacking with my 3 characters, the Nightveil killed the Commander)

I used Cleansing Nova to wipe it in main phase 2

However, after that resolved(Everything being destroyed), Nightveil Predator came back(The image of Nightveil Predator showing up) with the text of 'When this card is destroyed, put it back onto the battlefield tapped'.

...It had no enchantments, no effects on it, and there was nothing in his graveyard hinting that it could come back.

So why exactly did it come back?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/nightveil-predator/

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine you missed your opponent casting Abnormal Endurance on it in response to the nova
85.jpg

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine you missed your opponent casting Abnormal Endurance on it in response to the nova
85.jpg

No, not unless that card was exiled from play. I looked at his graveyard after and he had no such card there, nor did it come on top of my cleansing nova like an instant usually would(And then me having to click resolve). The Cleansing Nova trigger happened immediately as if the opponent didn't have counters to it(IE no wait time between me using it and it's effect)

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that's the only card it could have been on arena

Yeah. It was the specific text too of 'Comes back tapped after destroyed'. But there was no trigger of it during my cleansing nova, and he wouldn't have used it to kill my inspiring commander since it has deathtouch.

Then there was another match of where I killed a Pelt Commander and that spawned a 3/3 elf token for no discernible reason.

Just alot of random bullshit tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
CHALLENGE THUNDERDOME GOOO! Now no one can smack talk or complain again or gauntlets will be throwing down all over the place.

When is our Era league and tournament starting?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to get in and out of a hacked account they aren't that hard to reclaim.
If there's no profit to be made hacking is far less rampant.

Imo this is a non concern that's got nothing to do w/ their decision making.
It's a massive reduction in the amount of busywork they need to do to reclaim an account for someone in the event they lose control. Restoring gems/gold is simple, undusting/redusting a profile back to an earlier state isn't.

It's not the primary reason for this decision, but it's almost certainly part of the rationale. It keeps your CS costs down.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
not having friend list is fine but they could maybe save a list of recently challenged IDs or something.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Jammed some Direct Challenge matches with a coworker at lunch, great fun!

Honestly, it's 95% of what I would want from social features. Speaking only for myself, I have many other channels for communicating/coordinating with friends. As much as I like the idea of seeing "my friend is playing, let me spectate or invite them to the game" realistically I always do this out of channel.

Not saying they shouldn't go forward with the usual suite, just that at this point MTG Arena is mostly feature-complete for me.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I know you could type the code in the search box before, but I'm glad there's buttons now for searching by set. Can play custom matches now! The new cards they have with that gift pack look pretty good too. Can definitely have a few decks upgraded with those. The turtle... glad there's a mechanic again to make all opponents creatures attack since we don't have Imaginary Threats from Hours of Devastation anymore.
136698_200w.jpg

Can make good use of the angel in token decks to make stuff indestructible, the vampire can be good in a sacrifice deck, and the dinosaur with trample and +1/+1 for each land (not forest but land) is pretty sick. The Phoenix seems the weakest, easy Lava Coil target, too expensive to cast, etc.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I really want some appropriate emotes for this game. I need something to hit to tell my opponent I'm frustrated by being mana screwed/flooded without coming off as an asshole using "Good Game" sarcastically and dragging my mouse over all my lands. Or maybe a specific emote where I can point out a card and say "Fuck that card", or novel concept....let me talk to my opponent.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, everything on the game's end seems to be a LOT faster after the update. (Naturally it can't do anything about people being pokey in making decisions, but aside from that, things were moving SMOOTH.)

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I really want some appropriate emotes for this game. I need something to hit to tell my opponent I'm frustrated by being mana screwed/flooded without coming off as an asshole using "Good Game" sarcastically and dragging my mouse over all my lands. Or maybe a specific emote where I can point out a card and say "Fuck that card", or novel concept....let me talk to my opponent.
Gwent had a pretty good thing going in the emote department to where each character had different phrases to represent each emote response. Depending on the situation some responses could be taken many different ways. The funny thing about this is it can affect the choices made during the match. With some characters you could even fake a misstep and bait them into responding. In Gwent each match is a best of 3 rounds with a limited card draw. Its similar to blackjack in you can pass at any time and whoever has the higher number of points at the end of the round wins the round. Was always hilarious at the end of the match you and the opponent go to play your last card punctuated by the "watch this..." emote. There were very close matches where I've had shit for my last card and I've thrown that emote around as if I had something then the opponent forfeits thinking I had the higher point card, lol. I highly doubt it will happen, but if the planeswalkers you choose as your avatar could do that it'd be a plus in my book. Add a little bit of spice to matches lol.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
lol I drew 6 cards with Belzenlok against this dimir discard with an empty hand. It was pretty funny. When you summon it straight from graveyard for free with eldest reborn it's so strong...
The card is not that bad. It's my mana flood protection right now lol.

Kitesail is also such an MVP card against control. it completely messes them up and super good against counter spell, often going 1 for 2 with and mess up their plans. I like it way better than duress. Different cards, but I don't mind playing kitesail in my main list, duress is always sideboard.

The game feels way smoother after update.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Kitesail is also such an MVP card against control. it completely messes them up and super good against counter spell, often going 1 for 2 with and mess up their plans. I like it way better than duress. Different cards, but I don't mind playing kitesail in my main list, duress is always sideboard.

Kitesail is considerably more value than Duress, it has utility beyond the ETB.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Really happy with the update and the news on no duplicates. Looking forward to a tourney if someone can get one organized.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Does Era have a MTG discord yet? Since there's no friend's list posting my ID in here for matches doesn't seem like it'll help.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
YES. FINALLY DIRECT CHALLENGE. Also they updated the Deck Builder and it lets you FUCKING SORT BY SET. A feature that is insane that it wasn't in at day 1.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems that the game is buggier than usual after the update? Gotten disconnected like 5 times today, and just got disconnected at the start of a match.

Also getting this banger of an error message:
9AO6rZf.png

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ffs this game man. I crafted most of the mono red deck, went 7/0 in competitive, and since then, 3 competitive runs in a row, I went 0/3.
Either I start with 2 mana in hand and don't get any more 5 turns in and lose, or I draw literally 7 lands in a row. 7. fucking. lands. I got 22 lands in there. I draw mana, again draw mana, play flame of keld, draw 3 fucking mana the next turn, and then draw mana for 2 consecutive rounds.
The fuck is this bullshit.
I'm done.

Oct 28, 2017
Ffs this game man. I crafted most of the mono red deck, went 7/0 in competitive, and since then, 3 competitive runs in a row, I went 0/3.
Either I start with 2 mana in hand and don't get any more 5 turns in and lose, or I draw literally 7 lands in a row. 7. fucking. lands. I got 22 lands in there. I draw mana, again draw mana, play flame of keld, draw 3 fucking mana the next turn, and then draw mana for 2 consecutive rounds.
I'm done.

Go down to 21 lands. It will make a difference in Arena.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done.
With mono red 2 mountain are usually enough.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go down to 21 lands. It will make a difference in Arena.
And the other 50% of the time I don't draw any lands past my 2 lands in my starting hand for 6 turns? Seriously the last 9 games in competitive were either manascrew until I'm dead with not a single land drawn or getting flooded beyond belief.
With mono red 2 mountain are usually enough.
Right, except when I want to play a Chainwhirler, Frenzy, Risk Factor or Wizard's Lightning without a wizard on board, a.k.a half of my deck or would like to play more than one thing per turn while my oppnent ramps into a turn 5 carnage tyrant. Or you know, simply also plays mono red and got 3 or 4 mana on the board.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done.
Why not take a break from the game? From your posts you aren't remotely having a fun or rewarding time, and there are many other games that may be more enjoyable. If you're done, and the game is unfair, be done and you might be happier! I've quit games before and seen my life improve.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not take a break from the game? From your posts you aren't remotely having a fun or rewarding time, and there are many other games that may be more enjoyable. If you're done, and the game is unfair, be done and you might be happier! I've quit games before and seen my life improve.
I'm having fun with the game when it's not screwing me over 9 times in a row and scamming me out of 1500 gold.
It's not that black and white you know? What is it with people in this community trying to actively discourage people from playing the game lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having fun with the game when it's not screwing me over 9 times in a row and scamming me out of 1500 gold.
It's not that black and white you know? What is it with people in this community trying to actively discourage people from playing the game lmao.
Maybe I'm misremembering but many of your recent posts seem to indicate you feel the game is highly unfair and you're not having any fun, while also saying you're done.

I've gone through the experience of being addicted to a game that I didn't have fun with, and things improved for me once I stopped, so I'm respectfully suggesting a break might be a good thing, through experience. Of course you're free to ignore this suggestion and post what you like! I just don't like seeing misery.

Most people in the thread don't seem to have the miserable experience you do, which is why I'm not making this suggestion to them.