• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play Bo3 in ranked? Outside of the free Allegiance draft, I've never seen Bo3 in arena. Am I missing a setting or something?

Make sure you have the toggle in the top-ish right set to "All Play Modes". I don't think there's ranked Bo3 but there is Bo3 play and a Bo3 constructed event going on right now.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
The Bo3 Play is free, just like the Bo1 Casual Play. The constructed event is 1000gold/190gems. 5wins or 2losses.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been limited events in the past where you don't keep the cards you open, so the entry fee isn't as high? If not, have they announced any plans for that? I love drafting but hard to plop down the gems/gold so frequently (cause I suck).
Magic Online has those, they're called phantom drafts. Them introducing that could go either way, but I think in the grand scheme of things, not many players are that interested in a paid, even if cheap, event where you don't keep the cards.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Esper Control is doing absolute work for me in ladder, and it's actually engaging and fun to play. As much as I would enjoy the quick wins, I've had enough of throwing mindless red spells at faces
I refuse to play mono red in arena. Arena is the perfect tool to get better at the game without having to spend hundreds of euros on cards to try different things, and playing mono red is just like learning to play football without a ball.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the "pass until the end of opponents turn" not work? For example, I have Shock and it's the first round, I really don't want to use it but I have to keep hitting next even with that checked off. Doesn't the constant pauses during the opponents turn signal I have an instant?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Works as intended. It will still give you the opportunity to respond which imo is the correct solution, otherwise the button would be useless as you rarely know that you do not want to respond at all. It just passes the end of phase/step priorities. Only solution would be two pass buttons but that's messy.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
What are the cards from the new set i should be looking at for my golgari deck? Here it is, it is my favourite deck to play bc it's got a lot of variety, just smashed a karn tefari deck by being able to play carnage tyrant way more than 4 times, it's real fun and i don't spend real cash on packs so thrown together. (i'll die before i craft wildgrowth walker, screw that, i just want ramp to 5/6 drops for da big boyz)
but i get platinum rank with it so its successful. big drops, ramp, graveyard, tons of removal (find/finality is an awesome board clear. but i haven't looked deep at the new set yet, anything that would fit?

2 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
4 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
3 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
1 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
4 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
4 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Detection Tower (M19) 249
2 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
4 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Plague Mare (M19) 114
1 Cast Down (DAR) 81
1 Vine Mare (M19) 207
4 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
3 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
5 Swamp (M19) 269
6 Forest (DAR) 269
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Online has those, they're called phantom drafts. Them introducing that could go either way, but I think in the grand scheme of things, not many players are that interested in a paid, even if cheap, event where you don't keep the cards.

Haha I hope you're wrong! Once people get a set mostly filled out though, I'm sure they're not looking to pick up many R/M, let alone C/UC. Like, the ranked Core 2019 draft. It's fine for me, right now, to pay the entry fee cause my collection % is low, but there's only so many bombs per set so eventually I'd just rather pay less and not keep the cards. I have a pretty small collection and even on this draft (my first Core 2019), I managed to get a duplicate rare and got the gems.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of M19, I checked and was missing a lot of cards from it so I went ahead and did another draft instead of saving ALL my gold for Allegiance. Please let me know if these sorts of screenshots are getting annoying:

draft_19_1nxkw8.jpg

draft_19_2iyj0k.jpg

I feel like I got some decent creatures, and my instinct is to go USA clan red/white/blue. Black was just a rare draft, and though green has flying defense I wasn't intending to draft it. I'm also deadset on playing at least a couple of the ludicrous cost cards like the dragon and apex of power...maybe even the dragon queen, though tragically I think I missed a dragon egg the same turn I drafted her.

Is this plan terrible? Are there any other general tips glancing over this card breakdown? I could switch white for green, but then I'd lose healing. I could switch blue for green, but I'd lose defense/counter opportunities.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
reinstalled this

when i first played, i used to get a precon deck every few games - do they still give those out? or am i sol for stopping?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
reinstalled this

when i first played, i used to get a precon deck every few games - do they still give those out? or am i sol for stopping?

There are 10 "New Player Experience" decks that you unlock over the course of like 5-7 days. If you haven't unlocked all 10 you'll still get the quests, but it's about 1 per day.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
OK thanks.

any tips for a budget deck that will keep me moving + grinding forward?

Mono-red aggro and mono-blue tempo are both pretty cheap in terms of cards you'll need to craft. Since they are mono-color you won't need any of the rare lands. Mono-red aggro/burn is probably the easiest way to get started and the games are always quick which is good for grinding. But it is the most popular deck on ladder by far so you'll play the mirror a lot.

The most important thing is to try and get ~5 wins per day and the 15 weekly wins for packs. You get rewards for up to 15 wins per day but most of the rewards come from the first 5. I'd also re-roll your "big" quest each day if it's 500g. You'll have a chance at a 750g quest. Just use whatever deck has the colors or requirements the quest needs.

https://sites.google.com/view/beginners-guide-to-mtga/farming-gold

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Mono-red aggro and mono-blue tempo are both pretty cheap in terms of cards you'll need to craft. Since they are mono-color you won't need any of the rare lands. Mono-red aggro/burn is probably the easiest way to get started and the games are always quick which is good for grinding. But it is the most popular deck on ladder by far so you'll play the mirror a lot.

The most important thing is to try and get ~5 wins per day and the 15 weekly wins for packs. You get rewards for up to 15 wins per day but most of the rewards come from the first 5. I'd also re-roll your "big" quest each day if it's 500g. You'll have a chance at a 750g quest. Just use whatever deck has the colors or requirements the quest needs.

https://sites.google.com/view/beginners-guide-to-mtga/farming-gold

thanks!

should i just be buying core 19th edition packs with my gold?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
thanks!

The best value is to save up 5k gold and play whatever the current ranked draft mode is -- right now it's Core 2019. This event rewards packs but also gems which otherwise can only be obtained by spending real money. If you don't have faith in your draft skills and want to just buy packs with gold I'd suggest Dominaria and the current set Ravnica Allegiance -- they both have many standard format staples. Once you have a deck you like you can grind the Constructed Events for 500 gold which rewards more gold and individual cards.

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
thanks!

Core is always good, but know that Core, Dominaria, Ixalan, and Rivals of Ixalan all will be rotated out of Standard in the Fall (https://whatsinstandard.com/). Wizards hasn't elaborated on what 'eternal' formats will be around for Arena, but the Ravnica sets will give you most longevity, if you're super worried about maximizing your value.

I also wouldn't craft anything until you finish the New Player Experience (get all 10 dual color decks, and the 5 mono color decks). It gets you a solid base of commons and a few decent rares. A lot of the budget decks you see will be building off those, so if you use Wildcards now, you'll just waste em. I dunno how dupes work with the free decks, but it also might be worth waiting to open packs until you get all those free cards. Typically, when you get a 5th Common or Uncommon card, it helps you get closer to "opening the vault" which is just some Wildcards (I believe). If you already have the Commons/Uncommons from the starters decks before you get them for free, I don't know if those duplicates also count as "getting" the card.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The best value is to save up 5k gold and play whatever the current ranked draft mode is -- right now it's Core 2019. This event rewards packs but also gems which otherwise can only be obtained by spending real money. If you don't have faith in your draft skills and want to just buy packs with gold I'd suggest Dominaria and the current set Ravnica Allegiance -- they both have many standard format staples. Once you have a deck you like you can grind the Constructed Events for 500 gold which rewards more gold and individual cards.
Core is always good, but know that Core, Dominaria, Ixalan, and Rivals of Ixalan all will be rotated out of Standard in the Fall (https://whatsinstandard.com/). Wizards hasn't elaborated on what 'eternal' formats will be around for Arena, but the Ravnica sets will give you most longevity, if you're super worried about maximizing your value.

I also wouldn't craft anything until you finish the New Player Experience (get all 10 dual color decks, and the 5 mono color decks). It gets you a solid base of commons and a few decent rares. A lot of the budget decks you see will be building off those, so if you use Wildcards now, you'll just waste em. I dunno how dupes work with the free decks, but it also might be worth waiting to open packs until you get all those free cards. Typically, when you get a 5th Common or Uncommon card, it helps you get closer to "opening the vault" which is just some Wildcards (I believe). If you already have the Commons/Uncommons from the starters decks before you get them for free, I don't know if those duplicates also count as "getting" the card.

thanks! i'll continue to get the free decks and take it from there

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No problem. Also make sure to redeem "PlayRavnica" and "PlayAllegiance" for 3 free packs of each of those sets. The 5$ welcome bundle is also a very good value if you don't mind spending a little money.

great, thanks!

i may wait til they announce an iPhone port before spending any here - not sure i'll stick with it.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got an Aristocrat build off the ground, it's doing okay actually! It's probably not gonna end up too competitively viable, but I'm not bothered, shit's fun to mess around with.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to check your deck if the top card is revealed? Normally you can click on your deck and see the cards placed there by Azcanta or what have you, but when the top card is revealed it just examines that one.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to check your deck if the top card is revealed? Normally you can click on your deck and see the cards placed there by Azcanta or what have you, but when the top card is revealed it just examines that one.
You have to sneak your mouse sideways. Imagine warping the world in 3-dimensional space, twisting the arrow, sneaking it just under the top cards, and BAM once you see the number you can right click.

Yes it's a pain.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
WHITE
3 Hero of Precinct One
3 Tithe Taker

BLACK
2 Gutterbones
2 Costly Plunder
2 Priest of Forgotten Gods

RED
3 Legion Warboss
2 Skewer the Critics

ORZHOV
2 Mortify
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Seraph of the Scales
2 Teysa Karlov
2 Ethereal Absolution
2 Revival // Revenge

BOROS
3 Heroic Reinforcements

RAKDOS
2 Bedevil
2 Judith, the Scourge Diva

LAND
4 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Sacred Foundry
3 Clifftop Retreat
2 Blood Crypt
3 Dragonskull Summit

Plays real smooth. Priest of Forgotten Gods is a monster if they let it live.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what happened, and maybe it's just an influx of new players, but I seem to have started getting 3 wins in limited formats more often?

It's a bizarre feeling that I might have started to learn what I'm doing.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
whats the talk on this ever gettin ported to iphones?

I haven't heard the devs ever explicitly say that the Arena client was coming to mobile. People have speculated for quite a while that they would probably do it based on certain things in the UI and stuff that seem touch related.

Who knows, is the real answer.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really not seeing many red decks in gold where I am at the moment. Maybe because they all moved up ranks haha. See a wide range of stuff tbh, the coolest deck I saw was either the gates deck with the mill wincon or literally every planeswalker ever deck. The latter's first three lands were literally all duals of different colour combos.

Decided to craft Golgari as my very first deck. Don't think Golgari is too amazing, but maybe I can slowly craft the lands I need for the blue splash for Krasis, Hostage Takers and a couple counterspells. I have all 8 B/G duals for now at least.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
Really not seeing many red decks in gold where I am at the moment. Maybe because they all moved up ranks haha. See a wide range of stuff tbh, the coolest deck I saw was either the gates deck with the mill wincon or literally every planeswalker ever deck. The latter's first three lands were literally all duals of different colour combos.

Decided to craft Golgari as my very first deck. Don't think Golgari is too amazing, but maybe I can slowly craft the lands I need for the blue splash for Krasis, Hostage Takers and a couple counterspells. I have all 8 B/G duals for now at least.

I still see a bunch of red decks in gold so maybe it's just luck.

I didn't like Golgari in best of one when I tried it. For me it feels even with red decks at best and loses to control decks.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still see a bunch of red decks in gold so maybe it's just luck.

I didn't like Golgari in best of one when I tried it. For me it feels even with red decks at best and loses to control decks.
It does fold to control I've found unless you can get out a trophy or Vivien to answer Azcanta/Wilderness Reclaimation.

Looking forward to BO3 though and possibly improving manabase to splash for Krasis.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
did some inventory on my wildcards

14 common
12 uncommon
5 rare
2 mythic

mono red seems like the go to, but maybe ill do mono blue

always did like control over aggro

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Got 7-1 on my "last" RNA sealed and now I want to do another one... this is a harmful pattern ensuring I can only end on a negative note.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
fwiw I've been seeing plenty of mono red in gold tier play. Skewer the critics and the exile two cards and you can play them until end of next turn cards are both big boosts for red.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Mono blue is just as much aggro. The counters are there to protect your creature and keep bashing in, it has nothing to do with control.
fwiw I've been seeing plenty of mono red in gold tier play. Skewer the critics and the exile two cards and you can play them until end of next turn cards are both big boosts for red.

thanks, i dont usually go for the big meta decks but if its cheap to make and viable for grinds maybe i will

got a good deck list for mononred?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I'd see more mono red in gold. My deck handles them very well, but all I've been getting recently is esper control and turbofog.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing mostly jeskai and a naya deck since I don't have many packs of the new expansion yet. Other than mono red I think the new expansion slows the tempo a bit so control really shines.

thanks, i dont usually go for the big meta decks but if its cheap to make and viable for grinds maybe i will

got a good deck list for mononred?

I don't play mono red, but there are dozens of versions floating around. Try mtggoldfish to find a deck that works for you.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, going from bo1 back to bo3 feels so much better it's not even funny. Makes me wonder why I've been bothering with bo1 for the passed few weeks. I don't really care about Wizards trying to push bo1 as a format, but don't screw over normal Magic players with it. Bo3 ranked needs to hurry up, baffling that it's not in the game to begin with.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How do you play Limited? I have some levels in Limited rank from the beginning I play it, but I have no idea how to reach it again.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you play Limited? I have some levels in Limited rank from the beginning I play it, but I have no idea how to reach it again.
Limited means draft or sealed formats. I think the "ranked draft" is best-of-1 and costs 5000 coins (currently it's the M19 set, about to be Allegiance). The best-of-3 draft is super expensive and costs gems only, plus I think it's not "ranked".

Sealed is best-of-3 and costs 2000 gems, but you get 3 guaranteed packs plus the 6 packs worth of cards in sealed itself.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Limited means draft or sealed formats. I think the "ranked draft" is best-of-1 and costs 5000 coins (currently it's the M19 set, about to be Allegiance). The best-of-3 draft is super expensive and costs gems only, plus I think it's not "ranked".

Sealed is best-of-3 and costs 2000 gems, but you get 3 guaranteed packs plus the 6 packs worth of cards in sealed itself.
There is a toggle at the start screen where you have to toggle on advanced game modes.

Thank you both. I was looking at some 'Limited' option, never thought it would be the 5000 coins one.

Oct 25, 2017

When do they rotate the drafts you can play with gold? I did an M19 draft (3-3, two losses because my opponent had Ajani) and I'm back up to 3000 gold. I don't want to start an M19 draft when I hit 5k again if it's switching to Allegiance soon.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I think I have my first complaint with drafting vs bots since Arena has been out. In the past 2 days I've played 13 games of draft and 6 of those games I have encountered a gates deck that can be force-drafted just about every time because bots do not value the archetype. Small sample size yes and I went 4-2 so it's not totally OP. But I don't like the idea that the bots can sort of be abused in an obviously unintended way. Maybe they can release a bot AI patch.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have my first complaint with drafting vs bots since Arena has been out. In the past 2 days I've played 13 games of draft and 6 of those games I have encountered a gates deck that can be force-drafted just about every time because bots do not value the archetype. Small sample size yes and I went 4-2 so it's not totally OP. But I don't like the idea that the bots can sort of be abused in an obviously unintended way. Maybe they can release a bot AI patch.

Yeah the bots undervalue gates and some very powerful cards like Rhythm of the Wilds. I've pretty much broken even on my competitive drafts just forcing gates.