• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm seeing Surge Mares in the core deck now, especially in Bo1. Really good against mono red and the other meta decks you mentioned.

If you're doing Bo1, maindecking Surge Mares makes total sense, IMO. It's far too useful against way too many of the decks of the meta, and even when it's not particularly useful, it's not all that detrimental, either.

I swear this game can tilt me like few other experiences can.

The most tilted I've seen someone at a Magic table was against an UB Psychatog. Tog was the pinnacle of the permission control archetype. It was ridiculously oppressive.

Dude was running this RG deck that had Kavus and Mongrels in it. Second game, after he had his second or third Kavu countered in a row, dude just got up, threw his cards into his backpack and left without saying a single word.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we have Ionize in Standard now. If you want cruel, imagine playing against a control deck that had literally no win conditions other than four copies of Nephalia Drownyard.

Of course, even that was less miserable than Nexus loops.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After playing it again for the past week, I think I actually have finished the final version of aristocrats, and it's not awful!

2 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Gruesome Menagerie (GRN) 71
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
3 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216
3 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
3 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
2 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
3 Gutterbones (RNA) 76

2 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Arguel's Blood Fast (XLN) 90
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Drill Bit (RNA) 73
2 Makeshift Munitions (XLN) 151

Have been doing great with it in ranked and even won a bo3 constructed event. PoFG is truly disgusting, the mvp if the deck.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there anything more than rumors to the idea that you get matched based on your deck? Because it's uncanny how when I started testing my singleton deck, pretty much all I get matched with is random jank decks.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything more than rumors to the idea that you get matched based on your deck? Because it's uncanny how when I started testing my singleton deck, pretty much all I get matched with is random jank decks.
In casual best-of-1 they've said from the start the deck plays a factor, I believe. It's incredibly obvious if you're a new player playing an as-is starter deck, since you mostly only see starter decks. If you throw in a couple of mythics, you'll start seeing decks with mythics or whatever.

If I recall correctly, any ranked mode ignores deck content, and any best-of-3 mode ignores the mana balancer.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
In casual best-of-1 they've said from the start the deck plays a factor, I believe. It's incredibly obvious if you're a new player playing an as-is starter deck, since you mostly only see starter decks. If you throw in a couple of mythics, you'll start seeing decks with mythics or whatever.

If I recall correctly, any ranked mode ignores deck content, and any best-of-3 mode ignores the mana balancer.
got it, that makes sense considering I am doing my testing in casual and not ranked

But I wonder what the factors are in terms of how exactly it evaluates your deck for matching

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
It's funny that my first official deck in arena was mono U and here we are with mono U being my new go to deck for grinding constructed events.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Jesus, I just suck at drafting. I thought I had a pretty sweet Rakdos deck and went 0-3 (although I got mana screwed in one game)

Can you help me make something out of this?
MzPjMFo.jpg

What I'm thinking to cut: Junktroller, Justiciar's Portal, Expose to Daylight, Watchful Giant, Knight of Sorrows, Knight of Last Breath, maybe the Angel? What else?

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I just suck at drafting. I thought I had a pretty sweet Rakdos deck and went 0-3 (although I got mana screwed in one game)

MzPjMFo.jpg

What I'm thinking to cut: Junktroller, Justiciar's Portal, Expose to Daylight, Watchful Giant, Knight of Sorrows, Knight of Last Breath, maybe the Angel? What else?
Bankrupt in Blood is not playable in your current deck.

Angel is just too slow for your deck - not enough gates to play.

Easy cuts - Rally to Battle, Plague Wright.

Then you can start to trim some of worse creatures (you name some of them!) and modulate your curve.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

MzPjMFo.jpg

Get rid of:
  • Plague Wight
  • Justiciar's Portal
  • Bakrupt in Blood
  • Haazda Officer
  • Expose to Daylight
  • Junktroller
  • Rally to Battle
  • Knight of Sorrows
  • Archway Angel
  • Watchful Giant
  • Knight of the Last Breath

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've finally decided to overcome my phobia of blue and/or white decks and am messing about with some janky Flyers/Walls deck built around High Alert. It's pretty slow and I'm still trying to figure out which draws/counterspells are going to work out best for me but it can be a lot of fun. It's a loser more often than a winner but I can at least try to grind out some packs to get the wildcards needed to refine it.

On the other hand I kind of want to save up for drafting now that I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Last edited:

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that drafting is a bit shit for the purpose of filling out the missing Rares. Directly buying packs with gold has the duplicate protection (drafting doesn't), gives more progress to wild cards AND gives more extra wild cards by virtue of them being in packs.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that drafting is a bit shit for the purpose of filling out the missing Rares. Directly buying packs with gold has the duplicate protection (drafting doesn't), gives more progress to wild cards AND gives more extra wild cards by virtue of them being in packs.

I think it's only good at <50% collection. Once your odds of hitting duplicates are high you shouldn't draft for collection building.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got any interesting ideas for the upcoming free Singleton weekend? I don't think rats or petitioners will actually do well enough to get those Ghaltas, also those decks are hella boring.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any interesting ideas for the upcoming free Singleton weekend? I don't think rats or petitioners will actually do well enough to get those Ghaltas, also those decks are hella boring.

Singleton isn't Pauper. It's just a deck where only 1 copy of a card is allowed, outside of basic lands. A Petitioner deck definitely won't work with only 1 copy in a 60 card deck.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally decided to overcome my phobia of blue and/or white decks and am messing about with some janky Flyers/Walls deck built around High Alert. It's pretty slow and I'm still trying to figure out which draws/counterspells are going to work out best for me but it can be a lot of fun. It's a loser more often than a winner but I can at least try to grind out some packs to get the wildcards needed to refine it.

On the other hand I kind of want to save up for drafting now that I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I was juuuuust looking at a deck like that on goldfish. High alert is my kind of meme card. The article I found is here.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-azorius-high-alert-standard

I still haven't put a deck together yet but I like their list going for a lot of scry/draw. I was looking at Senate Courier/ Spirit of the Spires /pegasus since that's the kind of cards I own but their list is pretty cheap on rares.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still haven't put a deck together yet but I like their list going for a lot of scry/draw. I was looking at Senate Courier/ Spirit of the Spires /pegasus since that's the kind of cards I own but their list is pretty cheap on rares.

Yeah, Senate Courier and Spirit of the Spires are what I've been using, along with Wall of Mist for cheap 5/5s. Syndicate Messenger is something I've been playing about with (since the whole ensemble seems to play quite well with Afterlife), but I'm not 100% sold yet. The rest is draw and counterspells, along with Rally to Battle for an extra 3 damage per creature plus untap. I've also been using Sky Tether, since a 1 mana spell that makes a creature practically irrelevant against a flying deck is ok by me, though creature abilities are still a problem.

All I'm really lacking is an alternative win condition, since I'm otherwise heavily dependent on drawing a lot of flyers plus High Alert and getting them to stick, which is never guaranteed.

EDIT: Here's my deck so far. Please excuse the lack of dual lands, I'm a stingy bastard and I keep using all my rare wildcards on an obscenely janky Rakdos control deck. The Selective Snare is mostly because I keep getting matched up against Biogenic Ooze decks, and resetting all their progress on their ooze legions is the main reason I get up every morning.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone have any youtube or article recommendations for starting draft? just something to get me going. I've done it twice now and I'm so bad. i know there's a thing called mana curve and I think im fucking up there.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd rather they didn't ban it at all, but just in Bo1 seems like a good compromise. Just further removes any reason to play that mode though lol

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if their willingness to have a separate banlist for both modes is a good or bad thing.

One the one hand, maybe it means they're going to continue to print interesting powerful cards because in the worst case scenario they can just ban anything egregious from Bo1, but maybe they'll endeavor to just never print anything like NoF again to try to preempt having to ban anything and keep the two modes as similar as possible. The fact that Bo1 is impacting design (the errata to Pridemate, now this potentially) is kind of troubling.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm not sure if their willingness to have a separate banlist for both modes is a good or bad thing.

One the one hand, maybe it means they're going to continue to print interesting powerful cards because in the worst case scenario they can just ban anything egregious from Bo1, but maybe they'll endeavor to just never print anything like NoF again to try to preempt having to ban anything and keep the two modes as similar as possible. The fact that Bo1 is impacting design (the errata to Pridemate, now this potentially) is kind of troubling.
There were already the Arena-exclusive tutorial cards that are legal in best of 1 and not legal in best-of-3.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, caught under this update issue, hope they don't take too long to fix this as I've been wanting to play for a few hours now.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

I think you argued against that pretty well earlier in the paragraph. Reading between the lines of the announcement was that Bo3 players know interactions like NOF exist, to just scoop the cards in game 1, and sideboard against it in games 2 and 3.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, they are testing a "smooth shuffler" (currently only in Play mode) that removes tail end scenarios for land draws, i.e. extreme scenarios of mana screw/flood. Not sure what to think about this. I guess it's fine if it's really only extreme scenarios but this sure creates precedents.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they are testing a "smooth shuffler" (currently only in Play mode) that removes tail end scenarios for land draws, i.e. extreme scenarios of mana screw/flood. Not sure what to think about this. I guess it's fine if it's really only extreme scenarios but this sure creates precedents.
Is there a link / patch notes that talks about it? I can't seem to find the patch notes for today.

Oct 25, 2017

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Those changes sound great overall. The shuffler thing is a pretty big step so I'm curious how it will go.

It does reinforce the impression I had already that taking a mulligan was a really big risk, and very often the first mulligan hand would have 0 or 5 lands. I didn't realize their balancer previously only worked on the first hand.
Related to this: In limited play taking a mulligan hurts pretty badly, far moreso than constructed. I'll keep iffy hands in limited that in constructed I would easily pitch because of that.