• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

Mod Edit: Currently working redeemable codes:

These will get you a few free booster packs:

PlayRavnica
PlayAllegiance
PlayWarSpark

These will add the option to use the new "style" version card art for certain cards:

STARTERSTYLES
SuperScry (or PremiumScry)
ParallaxPotion
FoilFungus

SparkleDruid
ShinyGoblinPIrate

Last edited by a moderator:

Vince_Jo1990

Jan 12, 2018
Sweet, stopped playing because of wipes, will probably start playing again, as far as digital card game goes, this is the one I prefer, maybe because I used to play Magic a lot.

Though I still need to try Artifact...this might take the crown.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
One wipe on the 27th

I always expected a wipe.
But reading this...
It...
It still hurts.

tenor.gif

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Used to check their reddit almost daily but now I'm 100% on the Artifact hype train.
Still an amazing news and will def give it a go then.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was not expecting open beta with the rotation so this is a nice surprise.

I've been in closed beta since the start of 2018, but stopped playing shortly after the release of Core due to the upcoming wipe.

It'll be nice to be able to play again and know that my progress won't be wiped.

Pretty cool that Guilds will be available in Magic Arena 2 days before it's available anywhere else. That alone should drive a ton of players to the game next week.

Between this, artifact beta and Gwent homecoming, October is going to be a huge month for digital card games.

No more wipes period? Or will there still be one prior to that date?

No more wipes period. The one next week is the last wipe.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I guess Guilds of Ravnica and rotation kinda forces their hand a bit on certain things, but...

whuh?

You make a card game and friendly matches weren't a priority over 4 forms of Standard and 2 of draft?

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the wait has been long.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Sad about the wipe, but will be nice to be into open with the new set, hoping they fix some of the major issues with the rollover.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when the game goes public if they'll keep on giving out decks in quests.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I so desperately want to play this but I don't have a Windows PC. I'm even contemplating boot camp... :(

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit, but was wary to play too much as there would be a wipe. Excited for the 27th now. I sure hope they get dueling friends in ASAP as I would like to play this with my SO.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming nothing changes when it gets into open beta (or assuming already confirmed changes), how is the F2P grind?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The F2P grind is fine once you get up to speed, but getting up to speed takes a bit longer than it should. The rate that you accquire cards is solid for a single set release, but when you first start out you're basically going to be collecting 5 sets. The Free Singleton even that they'll be running for the first weekend should help out a bunch if you just keep jamming it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The F2P grind is fine once you get up to speed, but getting up to speed takes a bit longer than it should. The rate that you accquire cards is solid for a single set release, but when you first start out you're basically going to be collecting 5 sets. The Free Singleton even that they'll be running for the first weekend should help out a bunch if you just keep jamming it.

whats that event about?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Singleton is a format where you're limited to a single copy of any card other than basic lands. It adds a lot of variance, but the power level of the decks also tend to be a lot lower, so its easier to compete. Since it's free, it's basically just extra rewards on top of your normal quests and daily rewards.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Singleton is a format where you're limited to a single copy of any card other than basic lands. It adds a lot of variance, but the power level of the decks also tend to be a lot lower, so its easier to compete. Since it's free, it's basically just extra rewards on top of your normal quests and daily rewards.

Back in my #apprentice days we called that Highlander. There can be only one!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was just trying to get my U/G Tatyova deck running but it was a mess anyway because I had too many finishers.

Is Ravnica launching with the wipe? I love Ravnica so much.
free singleton?
Also I just need some aggro deck that's working (green stomp is a thing I guess? Or is ixalan out?).
Running aggro makes the matches quick, either you win fast or you lose fast. Control decks are for people that have most cards already imo lol. Gonna build some sweet azorius shit or something once I got a nice card base from Core 19 and Ravnica.
Back in my #apprentice days we called that Highlander. There can be only one!
Lol ok so it's highlander. A great format for beginners, especially when most people won't have most of the card pool yet. Excited!

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up. Loads of streamers will be let loose with the Ravnica expansion on Arena today and it starts in about 20 minutes! Head over to twitch and find one you like.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
campared to HS how good is the grind now? I left the closed beta after seeing how hard it was to get cards (and also because of the wipes, I hate losing progress)

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
What in the f, I can hover over the cards in the Twitch stream and zoom in to read the text. What is this sorcery!?

Oct 26, 2017
Its still as difficult as it was during the closed beta, so worse than Hs.

That being said I'm still very excited for open beta.
I don't agree with it being worse than HS at all. It's super easy to get lots tier 2/3 deck, because of how generous the starter decks are and how many different things you can try. It's trying to get complete tier 1 decks without compromise that's ridiculously hard.

The new player experience in this game is so much better in terms of the grind, you can try lots of different things and just play for fun. Hearthstone you have to work towards one deck, whilst playing it.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree with it being worse than HS at all. It's super easy to get lots tier 2/3 deck, because of how generous the starter decks are and how many different things you can try. It's trying to get complete tier 1 decks without compromise that's ridiculously hard.

The new player experience in this game is so much better in terms of the grind, you can try lots of different things and just play for fun. Hearthstone you have to work towards one deck, whilst playing it.

I feel like you have to do a similar thing in Magic. Play inferior decks while working towards the deck you want.

My biggest frustration with Magic so far is that if I open a pack and don't get a wildcard or a card I need for the deck I want, I don't feel like I've made any progress. At least with hearthstone, even if I don't get any useful cards I know I'm at least 40 dust closer to the deck I'm building.

the grind should be a little easier now since there are only 5 sets in standard instead of 8

Definitely true and I think that's a big part of why it feels like such a grind. If there was only 1 set to collect, Magic Arena would feel super generous. It's having to catch up with multiple sets at once that makes it feel so difficult.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal, the also great card game that is criminally underrated, also has similar twitch support. (better even, it let you copy paste the deck list of the streamer directly into your game).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we going to be able to add friends in the open beta? this could be a deal breaker for lots of people