• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the finals yesterday, that was really fun. Standard meta so far feels really nice and keeps shifting every week.

I have no idea how to beat Niv and dive down. That combo just ends the game and there is not much you can do if they get to the stage they can play it. Niv-Mizzet is so absurd...

Three carnage tyrants were played that game but it wasn't enough to win. like holy shit dude how you beat this then.

you gotta play something like plaguecrafter or eldest reborn and hope it doesn't get countered. that's not going to work. Basically you gotta win before Niv but it's so hard against Teferi, Deafening Clarion, star, cleansing nova, settle the wreckage. There are so many stoppers here.

Last edited:

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ughh so sick of izzet draaaakes, every other game...just....drakes....everywhere...

Standard is solid right now, but goddamn I cannot wait for the next set. Orzhov, Rakdos and Simic, mmmmm, shit is gonna be so good. Crossing my fingers for a decent Orzhov Plainswalker, don't think there has ever been one.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Izzet is just very cheap to build. crackling drake and co are only uncommon. you can use your starter wildcards to get 3x phoenix. Bulk of it is just common/uncommon and from the newest set as well. Even an absurd card like Niv-Mizzet if you play it, is rare and it's not required.

It's strong deck and it's so cheap and fun so everyone now plays that. Compared with Boros aggro, it's actually cheaper I think. That deck needs 4x Benalia and quite a few rares. It's pretty frustrating. In tournament scene it's not that great, in this game everyone spams Izzet-drakes.

you can draw so absurd and auto win any game with Izzet drakes. It's really not difficult to play overall. Your opponent needs to have very specific answers.

Oct 25, 2017
Izzet is just very cheap to build. crackling drake and co are only uncommon. you can use your starter wildcards to get 3x phoenix. Bulk of it is just common/uncommon and from the newest set as well. Even an absurd card like Niv-Mizzet if you play it, is rare and it's not required.

It's strong deck and it's so cheap and fun so everyone now plays that. Compared with Boros aggro, it's actually cheaper I think. That deck needs 4x Benalia and quite a few rares. It's pretty frustrating. In tournament scene it's not that great, in this game everyone spams Izzet-drakes.

you can draw so absurd and auto win any game with Izzet drakes. It's really not difficult to play overall. Your opponent needs to have very specific answers.
Anyone up for a MTGA tournament? With direct challenges I feel like we have to have a tournament any time someone suggests a deck is auto win. :D

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
On my second Guilds of Ravnica draft I went 7-2. I had a Selesnya convoke deck. I liked that it isn't really that mana depended. Flight of Equenauts was MVP.

Last edited:

Newt

Oct 25, 2017
Finally optimized my BO1 Golgari deck. Got the Karn idea from from the last GP. Two back to back 7-0s so far.

2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
3 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
2 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
4 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
3 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
3 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
3 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
8 Forest (XLN) 277
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
6 Swamp (XLN) 269
3 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Vraska, Relic Seeker (XLN) 232
2 Golgari Guildgate (GRN) 248

1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
2 Duress (XLN) 105
2 Golden Demise (RIX) 73
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Vraska, Relic Seeker (XLN) 232
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
2 Necrotic Wound (GRN) 79
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have there been any events around either of the Ixalan sets yet? I quite like their whole aesthetic but I heard they won't be part of standard this time next year.

Sep 14, 2018
Have there been any events around either of the Ixalan sets yet? I quite like their whole aesthetic but I heard they won't be part of standard this time next year.

I wouldn't worry about that, WotC have hinted that when next rotation happens a sort of "Arena Eternal" format will be added, probably from kaladesh forward, though I remember a rumor eldritch moon was halfway coded at some early point in development.

So any ixalan cards you own will always be available in that format, which will probably be better than standard at that point anyway.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't worry about that, WotC have hinted that when next rotation happens a sort of "Arena Eternal" format will be added, probably from kaladesh forward, though I remember a rumor eldritch moon was halfway coded at some early point in development.

So any ixalan cards you own will always be available in that format, which will probably be better than standard at that point anyway.

That's good to hear. I like brewing thematic decks and I've got a couple of ideas for the Ixalan sets, it's just the lack of an Ixalan or Rivals draft has made getting the cards I need for them a bit slow going.

As an aside, what are the sets people like most/least? I vaguely recall there was one Japanese-based set that no one seems to think very highly of.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That's good to hear. I like brewing thematic decks and I've got a couple of ideas for the Ixalan sets, it's just the lack of an Ixalan or Rivals draft has made getting the cards I need for them a bit slow going.

As an aside, what are the sets people like most/least? I vaguely recall there was one Japanese-based set that no one seems to think very highly of.

Kamigawa block was a low point, yeah (even though is has a bunch of very vocal fans) due to the theme not quite resonating with people and some wonky mechanics (even though it did have some pretty impactful cards, like the Jitte, Gifts, Azusa, Kiki-Jiki). Innistrad has been very well received, both times we went there. Ravnica has historically always been very successful. Dominaria set has been a huge success, according to MaRo.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
I vaguely recall there was one Japanese-based set that no one seems to think very highly of.

That would be Kaladesh, the theme is sort of middle eastern location focused on inventions and artifacts (and vehicles and energy). Turned standard into a trash fire for 2 years and led to several bans which is unusual for mtg.

Everyone has sets they like but I think Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica were both very well received and standard is in a good place now, it's fun times ahead for the game.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zendikar block was peak magic for me. Sooooo much busted shit, busted vampires, busted Kor, busted enchantments and artifacts, land fall was fucked up, eldrazi, nuff said. They'll never print a set like that again.

shards of alara block was also really cool. Cascade is one of my favorite mechanics. Man I played so much magic back then...

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Zendikar block was peak magic for me. Sooooo much busted shit, busted vampires, busted Kor, busted enchantments and artifacts, land fall was fucked up, eldrazi, nuff said. They'll never print a set like that again.

shards of alara block was also really cool. Cascade is one of my favorite mechanics. Man I played so much magic back then...

Busted-est Magic has ever been was either Mirrodin block or Urza's block. Urza's Saga was broken beyond belief, Legacy and Destiny weren't far behind. I survived both Combo Winters and man, those were crazy times.

Oct 28, 2017
That would be Kaladesh, the theme is sort of middle eastern location focused on inventions and artifacts (and vehicles and energy). Turned standard into a trash fire for 2 years and led to several bans which is unusual for mtg.

Everyone has sets they like but I think Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica were both very well received and standard is in a good place now, it's fun times ahead for the game.

Kaladesh has an Indian theme, not Middle Eastern.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Busted-est Magic has ever been was either Mirrodin block or Urza's block. Urza's Saga was broken beyond belief, Legacy and Destiny weren't far behind. I survived both Combo Winters and man, those were crazy times.

Think I started playing magic in odyssey and onslaught sets so I missed all that, thankfully lol.

Every time Carnage Tyrant comes out, I see my entire life flash before my eyes.

I play it in like 5 different decks and even I hate playing against it. Green would be meh without it though....

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

the japanese set very few likes is kamigawa, kaladesh was received fairly well despite the fact that energy was a broken mechanic.

thankfully ravnica isn't overshadowing too much Ixalan, it's almost sad thinking about all the cards in amonketh that didn't have a chance to shine in their standard format.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Think I started playing magic in odyssey and onslaught sets so I missed all that, thankfully lol.

So you actually caught Mirrodin. I wouldn't blame you from blocking it out of memory, though :D

Mirrodin block holds the distinctions of having an entire mechanic banned at one point (artifact lands), a single card that was so ubiquitous it was 4-of in every single competitive deck and it warped the entire Standard (Skullclamp), and a Standard environment that spawned the unholy trinity of Raffinity, Goblins and Elf and Nail, three decks so powerful that they didn't make it possible to get a turn 4 win, they made it common.

Last edited:

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I didn't even realize skull clamp was from Mirrordon block. I think I was playing pretty casual back then so I didn't know anything about what was busted in standard.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I didn't even realize skull clamp was from Mirrordon block. I think I was playing pretty casual back then so I didn't know anything about what was busted in standard.
After being out of Magic for a long time I got back in by playing around casually with a few buddies around the time of Time Spiral. One of them had a fairly disorganized box of random stuff they had from playing during Onslaught and Mirrodin that another long-lapsed player and I built decks out of. That player and I both independently made artifact piles with Myr Servitor and Skullclamp. I think it took about two games before we were both asking, "How the hell did they print Skullclamp?"

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did the vault progress get halted? I had 82% and after a draft I still had 82%. And no, I didn't only pick cards I didn't own yet before someone is asking.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get vault progress from draft picks (only if it's fifth copies and when the draft is over iirc).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't get vault progress from draft picks (only if it's fifth copies and when the draft is over iirc).
You only get vault progress from 5th copies. I have a playset of almost every common and uncommon in the set, so when I'm drafting I usually get 5-9% vault progress. Yet I didn't even get 0.1% after the last draft.

Sep 14, 2018
the japanese set very few likes is kamigawa, kaladesh was received fairly well despite the fact that energy was a broken mechanic.

Oh I wasn't around back then I just jumped to KLD reflexively lol. I actually like the setting and energy, the problem was energy being generated so easily with no drawback, Attune should have been 2 mana or something, there had to be some tradeoff for running those fucked up mana bases which were instantly fixed by Aether Hub and Attune.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One day, maybe, one day Wizards will learn that having mechanics go around mana costs - either the mana color or the cost itself - always creates degenerate environments, because the players will optimize the cost away.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, I'm the kind of dude who spends mythic wild cards on Trapjaw Tyrants for random enrage decks when I got like 30 planes walkers I should be getting.

Yo but goddamn, he shuts the whole goddamn board down when he drops and they don't have any removal. No one MOVE.

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I wasn't around back then I just jumped to KLD reflexively lol. I actually like the setting and energy, the problem was energy being generated so easily with no drawback, Attune should have been 2 mana or something, there had to be some tradeoff for running those fucked up mana bases which were instantly fixed by Aether Hub and Attune.
they were so scared of energy ending unused that they ended up creating strictly better version of other cards which generate energy to power up other degenerate cards.
the lack of hosers didn't help.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I've had a bad streak in matches. Either getting land screwed or just not eeking out those wins. Mostly just land screwed though.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like mono-red is back to being a lot more popular again in constructed event, presumably thanks to the rise of drakes and how it is their natural predator. Really actually liking going back to angels as my main deck as it slaps them down hard most of the time.

Also, god Niv is crazy, especially in the Drakes deck when he comes down. Had a field of high-end angels down and didn't have the immediate means to remove him my turn after he came down, and he just ate through the whole damn field with his little one damage pings in a single turn. Though the real frustrating part is how it works on BOTH players sorceries and instants. Like, it's like "okay, I'm spending two damn Lava Coils, but at least I get it off the field," which is already punishing enough. But nah, they really need the added advantage of two draws and pings, too!

Of course this has me pondering the thought of trying drakes again with Niv for best of one, but I know that you'd end up running into extra trouble with Golgari that way... I dunno.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
had my best game yet against Jeskai control.

My hand was complete trash fire for most of the match, barely had any creatures besides elves BUT I had dropped Golgari Queen on turn 3 and actually got her ultimate going.

Here is the thing, nothing could ever ever touch his face lol. everything got countered, exiled, aoed away, like he played settle the wreckage on a 2/2. At one point he had Teferi and Niv on board. I got his Teferi with Eldest Reborn and just bounced his shit aroumd. Eventually got a carnage tyrant and he conceded. I almost died. The fact that he could survive this long was just absurd. I guess I couldn't draw any worse. I just drew land 5-6 turn. I wish this game had a replay.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mono red seems to be everywhere in constructed event.

All of my games are against Mono red, Izzet Drakes, or Red White decks.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
mUppeR8.jpg

airhorn.wav

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't checked mine to keep track of it. How many packs does it usually take for it to open?
A lot lol. Can't give you specific numbers. I almost exlusively draft which seems to be quicker though. Every Draft is supposed to give you 5-8% when you already got most commons and uncommons in playset.
Mono red seems to be everywhere in constructed event.

All of my games are against Mono red, Izzet Drakes, or Red White decks.
I caped and crafted it as well. There's no point in playing constructed event with control decks that need 15+ minutes for each match when you can just lose or win in 5-10 minutes instead. Before I had the deck I would need hours with my Bolas deck before I got the daylies done. Now it's sometimes not even an hour lol. The deck having a decent winrate helps I guess. I don't like playing it 90% of the time but grinding becomes so much more bearable with it.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot lol. Can't give you specific numbers. I almost exlusively draft which seems to be quicker though. Every Draft is supposed to give you 5-8% when you already got most commons and uncommons in playset.

How do you check it again? I'll give mine a check..last time I checked mine like a month ago it was at 15 or so?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mines at 37.5, which seems to match up with with it being 15 a month ago.
Yeah nvm I did a new run (only went 4/3 sadly... but got a march of multitudes and venerated loxodon out of it) and I got 5.4% out of the run. And that's a run I picked up some uncommons I didn't have yet, too. Seems solid. It's weird it didn't seem to count the last one though. I have to check how much the next 3 free packs give me. All I want is that last vault to fill up and then I'm not opening anything and saving up for the next expansion when the vault is gone. I'm still affraid they'll fuck us over somehow though. No way they'll make the progression just flat out better.

On a sidenote, it's really frustrating to have a lot of the cards needed for selesnya tokens but can't build it anyway because there are just too many mythics needed and I don't have a single Emmara.

Briosa

Aug 7, 2018
Ffs this game man. I crafted most of the mono red deck, went 7/0 in competitive, and since then, 3 competitive runs in a row, I went 0/3.
Either I start with 2 mana in hand and don't get any more 5 turns in and lose, or I draw literally 7 lands in a row. 7. fucking. lands. I got 22 lands in there. I draw mana, again draw mana, play flame of keld, draw 3 fucking mana the next turn, and then draw mana for 2 consecutive rounds.
The fuck is this bullshit.
I'm done.

Can you share the deck/link, please? Thanks in advance.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you use MTGA Tracker it also tells you your vault progress. Too bad I forget to open it 90% of the time, would be nice to know the winrate of some of my decks.