• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did they really reintroduce that bug where your playset isn't displayed correctly in your collection again? Fucking hell man... Every second card the 4th copy is missing...
if you use MTGA Tracker it also tells you your vault progress. Too bad I forget to open it 90% of the time, would be nice to know the winrate of some of my decks.
Open the vault or the tracker? I thought the vault opens automatically?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you share the deck/link, please? Thanks in advance.
The monored one?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1474002#paper

Lavacoil is mostly against drakes and the phoenixes. I only play 2 of those. Just did a 7/1 run again and didn't come across a single Drake deck. Maybe that was just me being lucky lol. I'm missing one Chain-Whirler, one Frenzy and one Steam-Kin though.
You can put a rekindled phoenix in there as well or even two if you have them.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they really reintroduce that bug where your playset isn't displayed correctly in your collection again? Fucking hell man... Every second card the 4th copy is missing...

Open the vault or the tracker? I thought the vault opens automatically?
the tracker, its a 3rd party program you have to open when you open the game for it to collect data.

Oct 25, 2017
I asked a while back and forgot to follow up. Is there a reason you're forced to use non-Ravnica lands in GRN draft instead of being able to use whatever land art you want like in normal games?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I asked a while back and forgot to follow up. Is there a reason you're forced to use non-Ravnica lands in GRN draft instead of being able to use whatever land art you want like in normal games?

I don't know but everyone uses the same lands so much that it actually catches my eye when someone uses lands from another set.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Built an Izzet burn deck that I'm having fun with. It's nice seeing everyone ignoring the electrostatic fields in order to burn all of their removal on Drakes only for me to vomit my hand and winnow them down to lethal. Risk Factor in particular is a nice bit of kit.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fought against about 90% Green/White in the past couple of days, has there been a shift in the meta since I last played a couple of weeks ago?

Also is there a way to hide the big zoom in on the card when a spell is cast? I had an annoying moment earlier where it covered up the actual creature to which I wanted to cast the spell itself.

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Also is there a way to hide the big zoom in on the card when a spell is cast? I had an annoying moment earlier where it covered up the actual creature to which I wanted to cast the spell itself.

There's a semi-transparent arrow pointing right above the stack (the stack is where in-progress spells go). If you click it, the stack will be hidden off-screen.

Sep 14, 2018
Last week I had a match on stream vs reynad and I just noticed he uploaded a bit from the end to his youtube, he was pretty hard to beat and apparently was distracted by chat and a pizza delivery lol. He lost cause he decided not to blow up my azcanta before it flipped, can't blame chat for that one.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, selesnya tokens is probably the most expensive guild themed deck of the bunch on arena :'v
Yeah...doesn't help that I spent all of my rare wildcards to make mono red work (this deck ain't cheap in Arena either lol) That payed off already though, cut the time I need to grind for daylies in half. Still missing some stuff like a 4th frenzy but I'm good for now I think.
My problem has always been that I like to play as many cool decks as possible. Meaning I'm always missing some cards to make a decklist consistent (2 deafening clarions in jeskai, 3 overgrown tombs in golgari and so on) and still manage to always be out of wildcards anyway lol. This is a big problem for me with Ravnica especially since it's my favourite block ever and I love every freaking colour combination bar Rakdos and Simic.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Modified my drakes a bit to add in a copy of Niv Mizzet, and I think I'm liking it. For best of one, I mean. Obviously isn't always a net benefit, but if it manages to live till it gets back to you you get insane value, and it's helpful for the Teferi matchup. Don't think I'd want more than one as that'd likely gum up the deck too much, but as is it's feeling pretty nice.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I just put some jank card nobody plays in my deck for a total of 65! cards to game bo1 matchmaker, suddenly there is no tier 1 RDW anymore. I get starter, janky incomplete decks and similar, it's pretty amusing how easily you can game this matchmaker, who cares that I'm silver 1. ez quick quests and daily rewards.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've gotta ask: has anyone seen Elfball succeed like AT ALL in this meta? I run into them more than I'd think in constructed event. Not a ton certainly, but like at least 2-3 a week, and I think I've actually been seeing it much more than mono-green stompy lately... and it is just a MASSACRE every time. Like, the deck never really gets to do anything but throw down some mana elfs before I crush it to a bloody pulp, and that's with several different decks used. It's just really weird seeing it semi-frequently when it really doesn't seem to be able to compete at all.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've gotta ask: has anyone seen Elfball succeed like AT ALL in this meta? I run into them more than I'd think in constructed event. Not a ton certainly, but like at least 2-3 a week, and I think I've actually been seeing it much more than mono-green stompy lately... and it is just a MASSACRE every time. Like, the deck never really gets to do anything but throw down some mana elfs before I crush it to a bloody pulp, and that's with several different decks used. It's just really weird seeing it semi-frequently when it really doesn't seem to be able to compete at all.

I play it a lot at Bronze 1. It's really draw dependent, but it beats a lot of things when it goes off. I've been playing Jeff Hoogland's BG list. I think it's one of my higher winrate decks.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just put some jank card nobody plays in my deck for a total of 65! cards to game bo1 matchmaker, suddenly there is no tier 1 RDW anymore. I get starter, janky incomplete decks and similar, it's pretty amusing how easily you can game this matchmaker, who cares that I'm silver 1. ez quick quests and daily rewards.

Hmm? Explain. I hate going against constant golgari

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm? Explain. I hate going against constant golgari

It's just a theory I'm testing. We know there is a matchmaking based on deck power for bo1 ladder. I'm assuming that it works by assigning a score to each card in your deck and probably averaging it to assign a score to your deck. Something like that. The card's rating is based on popularity.
If they are averaging score of card, if you add more cards that have ~0 score you tank your deck rating no matter what the rest of it is. I added 4 copies of a black creature, 6 mana 5/5 flyer, forgot the name, that nobody plays and something else, made a 65 cards (more cards are obviously bad for your deck, maybe this affect the matchmaking too? lol) and it gave immediate results...

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a theory I'm testing. We know there is a matchmaking based on deck power for bo1 ladder. I'm assuming that it works by assigning a score to each card in your deck and probably averaging it to assign a score to your deck. Something like that. The card's rating is based on popularity.
If they are averaging score of card, if you add more cards that have ~0 score you tank your deck rating no matter what the rest of it is. I added 4 copies of a black creature, 6 mana 5/5 flyer, forgot the name, that nobody plays and something else, made a 65 cards (more cards are obviously bad for your deck, maybe this affect the matchmaking too? lol) and it gave immediate results...

Huh. Is there a list of unpopular cards?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
mtga pro shows the popularity of the cards in your collection if you have it but it's not all that accurate.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
So I decided to see what I could do with my 4 free Rowdy Crews, such a bad mythic, but is it? (Yes) Made a RB pirate deck, it actually wins against non meta decks quite often.

3 Dire Fleet Ravager (XLN) 104
3 Fathom Fleet Captain (XLN) 106
4 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
3 Dire Fleet Poisoner (RIX) 68
4 Fiery Cannonade (XLN) 143
4 Rowdy Crew (XLN) 159
4 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
2 Dire Fleet Daredevil (RIX) 99
3 Captivating Crew (XLN) 137
4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Unclaimed Territory (XLN) 258
3 Sword-Point Diplomacy (XLN) 126
2 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
7 Swamp (DAR) 259
7 Mountain (XLN) 275
3 March of the Drowned (XLN) 112

Not sure if I should have 4 Firebrands but so far it seems to run pretty smooth. Sword point diplomacy usually takes a good chunk of life off the opponent and the menace seems to break through consistently. Either way, it's a fast deck. I think the main reason I like this deck is because I made it myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I just randomly got a win reward Dead Man's Chest today. I didn't even know that was a card. I kinda want to see if there's any deck it can work in, at the bronze level.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I also made a Dragon deck, there aren't many dragons to choose from but it is fun in concept at least.

4 Spit Flame (M19) 160
4 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Sarkhan, Fireblood (M19) 154
4 Demanding Dragon (M19) 135
4 Lathliss, Dragon Queen (M19) 149
4 Volcanic Dragon (M19) 167
1 Island (RIX) 193
4 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager (M19) 218
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
3 Bone Dragon (M19) 88
3 Verix Bladewing (DAR) 149
4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

-edit--I took out 1 flame coil and 1 spit flame and added 2 eldest reborns.

-edit2- -2 Volcanic Dragons, -1 Lava Coil, -1 Lathliss, -1 eldest reborn, +2 ritual of soot, +2 vraska's contempt, +1 phrexian scriptures. Maybe I should just go heavy with the soot since I have no creatures below 4mana...

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
RU aggro/control pirate could be sweey, but I can't find a good deck list for the life of me :'v

and imo too many people are sleeping on dimir control as a competitive deck.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Ok just one more bad home brew deck I swear. This one has interested me ever since I saw Arcades, and I realized I had 3 of him already, so yes, I wasted a mythic on a 4th one but it has been fun. Just won my last 2 games against mono blue budget.

4 Arcades, the Strategist (M19) 212
2 Wall of Mist (M19) 83
3 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive (DAR) 69
2 Curator's Ward (DAR) 49
2 Dive Down (XLN) 53
2 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
1 Gleaming Barrier (RIX) 178
4 Grappling Sundew (GRN) 131
3 Amaranthine Wall (DAR) 210
4 Aegis of the Heavens (M19) 1
2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
2 Slaughter the Strong (RIX) 22
3 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
2 Plains (DAR) 251
4 Island (XLN) 267
2 Forest (XLN) 279

You just look like a fool until you can safely drop Arcades, then it's game time with an Aegis of the Heavens or two. I'm still tinkering with it but yea it's different that's for sure.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Blue
4 Opt (DAR) 60
4 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
4 Divination (M19) 51
2 Patient Rebuilding (M19) 67

Red
4 Shivan Fire (DAR) 142
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
2 Risk Factor (GRN) 113

Multicolor
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
3 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192

Land
9 Island (RIX) 193
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247

Behold. The most aggressive control deck. You only realize half way through the match that it's actually a burn deck.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Well I probably just got really lucky but my refined Vampire deck just went 7-0 in the Constructed event, I crafted 4 Radiant Destinies and everything went really good. I defeated 3 mono red, 2 golgari, izzet drakes, and a white weenie deck. I use only 1 Vanquisher's Banner and 1 Immortal Sun. It didn't run out of gas, and for my final battle I got my Elenda up to a 15/15 against my opponent's mono red deck. I originally was running 21 lands but seemed to almost every other game get screwed when i was practicing on ladder, but with 22 lands it always seemed to curve out.

Sorry for posting so many decks, especially since the last 3 are pretty bad, but this one actually might be halfway good, it's at least very satisfying beating mono red with it.

9 Plains (RIX) 192
3 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
3 Queen's Commission (XLN) 29
3 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
3 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
4 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
2 Twilight Prophet (RIX) 88
3 Champion of Dusk (RIX) 64
3 Call to the Feast (XLN) 219
4 Legion Lieutenant (RIX) 163
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Vanquisher's Banner (XLN) 251
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
2 Elenda, the Dusk Rose (RIX) 157
2 Unclaimed Territory (XLN) 258
2 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
4 Radiant Destiny (RIX) 18

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
any good mono color decks out there besides blue tempo and red aggro?

i don't have the wildcards to build a deck with the rare dual lands

Feb 16, 2018
is the M19 core draft any fun/good?

it's one of the worse ones, but pretty much every recent draft format is decent the first few times you do it. the big difference is that some of them stay interesting for longer than others

white is good, but it needs some rares. venerated loxodon / history of benalia / legion's landing

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I'd imagine you could probably make Steel Leaf Stompy work without the splash for Assassin's Trophy... but that deck is chock full of rares and mythics, so that probably won't help unless you just happen to have the right cards in your collection. And Mono-White Weenie is a thing, though IIRC that seems to kinda be getting replaced by a Boros variant...

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's one of the worse ones, but pretty much every recent draft format is decent the first few times you do it. the big difference is that some of them stay interesting for longer than others
I did it twice. Hated it. There are no cool and fun mechanics. Very basic. I'll not be drafting again until it's gone.

Man everyone hates it >_> I asked a discord I'm in and they said the same thing.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of core set drafts is to provide a good entry point, so they won't be as good for experienced players. There was a core set draft people like, M13, but that's the exception.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I hope next set has more cards like Carnage tyrant. There are not that many ways to punish these almost no creature Teferi decks.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As said above, mono white weenie is super strong, and while no one plays it, mono black aggro is also surprisingly solid. It lacks the combat tricks of white or the direct damage of red, but you get a lot of dicard and such with pilfering imp and freebooter, and it has cheap removal. Deadeye Tracker is also a massive threat to alot of decks but he;s prob not consistent enough for mainboard in bo1.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You need some rares for mono creatures anyway. White needs Legion's Landing, Venerated Loxodon and Benalish Marshall as rares and History of Beanlia as mythics, Green needs a shitton of rares and mythics, it's defintely the most expensive mono deck. So go with white I guess.
I hope next set has more cards like Carnage tyrant. There are not that many ways to punish these almost no creature Teferi decks.
I guess red/green a.k.a Gruul can get something like that. I don't see it happening for other colour combinations though.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I think dinos will mostly be an Ixalan thing, for now. Gruul will most probably give a lot of new toys for aggro decks, though. Azorius and Simic have never given me anything worthwhile, as a Blue player, so I'm not super hyped about the next set.