• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This 5th card solution can't come fast enough.

Between constructed event rewards and daily card rewards, I opened 2 5th copies of Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants today.

Also opened a 5th copy of Weatherlight, but I'm less concerned about that one.

Oct 25, 2017
This 5th card solution can't come fast enough.

Between constructed event rewards and daily card rewards, I opened 2 5th copies of Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants today.

Also opened a 5th copy of Weatherlight, but I'm less concerned about that one.
It hasn't been an issue for me yet since I earn cards so slowly. I'm only about 60% to my first ever vault opening.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't been an issue for me yet since I earn cards so slowly. I'm only about 60% to my first ever vault opening.

I'm only at 55% on my first vault but it's been happening a bit to me. And it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

I still think the rewards and economy are very generous, it just feels bad when I get 3 mythic rares today and all 3 are 5th copies and 2 are the same card, while there's many mythic rares I don't have a single copy of.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think dinos will mostly be an Ixalan thing, for now. Gruul will most probably give a lot of new toys for aggro decks, though. Azorius and Simic have never given me anything worthwhile, as a Blue player, so I'm not super hyped about the next set.
I guess you must mean mono-blue player? Azorious had a bunch of amazing cards last time around.

201.jpg
200.jpg
155.jpg
145.jpg
218.jpg
80.jpg
179.jpg

Sep 14, 2018
Love me some Azorius, I think Remand and Detention Sphere have a good chance of getting a reprint, and I have a feeling Detain will be the keyword again, which is fine I guess, if all we get is Hallowed Fountain and 1-2 playable cards for UW shell that's good enough for me.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Love me some Azorius, I think Remand and Detention Sphere have a good chance of getting a reprint, and I have a feeling Detain will be the keyword again, which is fine I guess, if all we get is Hallowed Fountain and 1-2 playable cards for UW shell that's good enough for me.
I don't think they'd reprint Detention Sphere, but they might print something similar with an updated template. I can't see them printing remand into standard at all though. Especially not right now.

Sep 14, 2018
I don't think they'd reprint Detention Sphere, but they might print something similar with an updated template. I can't see them printing remand into standard at all though. Especially not right now.

Remand may be a little too much cause 2 mana is Teferi mana, but Cast Out rotating was the biggest hit to UW so DS or some functional reprint would fit right in, I really don't think they're afraid of empowering Tef/UW decks, there will probably be plenty of control hate in the other guilds I imagine.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remand may be a little too much cause 2 mana is Teferi mana, but Cast Out rotating was the biggest hit to UW so DS or some functional reprint would fit right in, I really don't think they're afraid of empowering Tef/UW decks, there will probably be plenty of control hate in the other guilds I imagine.
I'd be ok with blue/white getting a bunch of control options if it meant every other color got unblockable carnage tyrants

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I guess you must mean mono-blue player? Azorious had a bunch of amazing cards last time around.
Yeah, talking about mono-blue, indeed.

My money is still on rakdos madness
That would be a great fit, but Madness is pretty high on the Storm scale (an 8, last time MaRo rated it), especially because it asks for a bunch of enablers and that would drive complexity up. Also, rules-wise its kinda wonky.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone point to any artifact centric decks outside of what's on MTG goldfish. I love using them but I think I just need a few fresh ideas. The antiquities war is such a fun saga and finisher. Also I might see if I can get get chamber sentries in, maybe not even going 5 colours by using navigator's compass.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm also really curious how they will handle aggro/control balance going forward. Teferi is still a thing so I can't imagine them going full Return to Ravnica. Would be kind of overkill.

When it comes to the 5th card, I just got my first vault done so opening anything that's not what I want is kind of useless. I just hope they don't touch the wildcard system too much. Honestly they should just go with something like every 4th useless 5th card gives you a wildcard of that rarity. And the ability to turn 4 common wildcards into an uncommon one and so on, because at some point you have 50 common wildcards and 0 rare ones.

I'll just not buy anything with my gold and won't open any of the packs I get from now on. Which sucks because I'm 6 packs away from a mythic wildcard but no can do.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the thought of the Teferi plague getting more tools is just... ugh. I mean, in addition to being just entirely unfun to play against (what with just being literally "I refuse to let you play magic, and I will also largely do nothing!"), I think the reason I hate it so much is... it just feels so braindead. Like, I imagine the "fun" of control and the way to balance out its potential obnoxiousness is that, y'know, it should feel particularly skill-based, like the player needs to know JUST when to best employ their cards while pecking away at the opponent. But Teferi feels like it has the least decision making in the format, as it's just leave mana open, use most efficient counterspell available, play draw instant if you have the mana left when it's coming to your turn, and play Teferi when you can. Plus Teferi is probably the worst "I insta-win" card in the game right now. Like, Lyra, Niv Mizzet, and the like are real powerful potential game-enders... but they can eat any type of removal after hitting the board. Teferi though, comes down turn 5, needs more specific removal that can hit planeswalkers, and effectively comes with built-in protection in the form of the two open mana minimum in a deck full to the brim with counterspells. And sure, you absolutely can beat him after he comes down, but I'd say more than any other card, him hitting the field is often game, even if it'll take forever if you actually make them play it out.

Plus I think Arena exacerbates the problem, to be fair. Because I mean it is like THE deck you sideboard against, which obviously doesn't help in best of one, which is kind of the Arena default. I probably should start playing more best of 3, as it'd likely soothe at least some of my hatred for the darn deck...

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the thought of the Teferi plague getting more tools is just... ugh. I mean, in addition to being just entirely unfun to play against (what with just being literally "I refuse to let you play magic, and I will also largely do nothing!"), I think the reason I hate it so much is... it just feels so braindead. Like, I imagine the "fun" of control and the way to balance out its potential obnoxiousness is that, y'know, it should feel particularly skill-based, like the player needs to know JUST when to best employ their cards while pecking away at the opponent. But Teferi feels like it has the least decision making in the format, as it's just leave mana open, use most efficient counterspell available, play draw instant if you have the mana left when it's coming to your turn, and play Teferi when you can. Plus Teferi is probably the worst "I insta-win" card in the game right now. Like, Lyra, Niv Mizzet, and the like are real powerful potential game-enders... but they can eat any type of removal after hitting the board. Teferi though, comes down turn 5, needs more specific removal that can hit planeswalkers, and effectively comes with built-in protection in the form of the two open mana minimum in a deck full to the brim with counterspells. And sure, you absolutely can beat him after he comes down, but I'd say more than any other card, him hitting the field is often game, even if it'll take forever if you actually make them play it out.

Plus I think Arena exacerbates the problem, to be fair. Because I mean it is like THE deck you sideboard against, which obviously doesn't help in best of one, which is kind of the Arena default. I probably should start playing more best of 3, as it'd likely soothe at least some of my hatred for the darn deck...

I'd say Carnage Tyrant is a bigger game ender than Teferi, though I certainly can see why he's frustrating to you.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squee and Runaway Steam Kin. The latter isn't a goblin, but slots into basically any mono red deck. You might also live the dream and go infinite (2 steam kins, squee, prospector and Siege-Gang).

Oooh that sounds like it can be nasty.

Teferi isn't rotating out?

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
we're not that far removed from four b&r announcements with standard bans in the space of a year and teferi hasn't gotten the axe
you'll live

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Won my very 2nd Draft going 7-2 ToT
Core 2019 is lame, hardly any of the cards in it were of interest to me :S

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
we're not that far removed from four b&r announcements with standard bans in the space of a year and teferi hasn't gotten the axe
you'll live
I mean, yeah, not saying I think it deserves to be banned, as I wouldn't say it's broken. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd call it the most powerful card in standard (though I suspect it may well be, talking in terms of single cards and their impact on the game.) I just think it's an incredibly unfun and lame deck that sort of drags down an otherwise really nice standard a bit. But yeah, I can live with it, but that doesn't mean I need to like it!

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I mean, yeah, not saying I think it deserves to be banned, as I wouldn't say it's broken. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd call it the most powerful card in standard (though I suspect it may well be, talking in terms of single cards and their impact on the game.) I just think it's an incredibly unfun and lame deck that sort of drags down an otherwise really nice standard a bit. But yeah, I can live with it, but that doesn't mean I need to like it!
I don't know if it's the most powerful card in standard, but I do see your point. Its oppressive enough for me to consider splashing blue in various decks or running multiple copies of Unmoored Ego. Maybe dimir is the way to go? Or grixis with Banefire in addition to Unmoored Ego? Anyone have any suggestions for a deck with these cards? Jeskai control is pretty unfun to play against, especially when matches end up being 40+ mins...

Sep 14, 2018
Well I mean yeah, but there comes a point when you wanna play a full game. Before the open beta you would come across a string of 3 or 4 people in a row playing him.

Ah yes, the time of Approach mirrors every other game, if it makes you feel any better those decks also dreaded going up against each other, control matchups are fun but Approach mirrors were some of the most obnoxious things I've ever come across in any card game. Just endless awful game of chicken.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gruesome Fate has been a great way to break stalemates so far. When you've both got a wall of creatures stacked up and are topdecking, it's a lifesaver.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Small change to my deck.

Blue
4 Opt (DAR) 60
4 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
4 Divination (M19) 51

Red
4 Shivan Fire (DAR) 142
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
2 Risk Factor (GRN) 113

Multicolor
2 Firemind's Research (GRN) 171
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
3 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192

Land
9 Island (RIX) 193
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247

EDIT: On the subject of Guild mechanics, I really want Extort back. It was my favorite. Also I need more enchantments with it for my Esper Enchantments commander deck

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back and forth on Firemind's Research. If you're using it for card draw it's usually worth its spot. If you're using it for burn it often doesn't really pay dividends. I'll admit it's nice to have around when you need that clutch 5 damage against a planeswalker or opposing Niv.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
march of multitude into Flourish is so busted. can't even react to it unless you're blue.

I have 0 winrate against Selesnya with Golgari, I think it's so hard to win this. I keep getting 7 win runs back to back but all of my losses are to Selesnya or some insane mono red draw.

I'm not sure how Selesnya loses to RDW? Seems like a good match up for them. Conclave Tribunal is complete BS removal.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back and forth on Firemind's Research. If you're using it for card draw it's usually worth its spot. If you're using it for burn it often doesn't really pay dividends. I'll admit it's nice to have around when you need that clutch 5 damage against a planeswalker or opposing Niv.
It's filler that occasionally pays dividends and prevents any dead turns. Moreover, out of the 60 cards in my deck, 34 aren't instant or sorceries, so it usually gets a good amount of counters. And it's been a tad more useful than the card it replaced.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone elses game crash excessively during a match? I wouldn't mind that since I can always reconnect but lately there has been a bug where I can't play any cards after reconnecting since the game demands mana to play a card even though I have enough.

It makes the game unplayable for me since it crashes every second match.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I crash is after the game has been active for a long time. There seems to be a memory leak but restarting the client every now and then "fixes" the problem for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't ever really recommend this, but since I got my first Dead Man's Chest and didn't know it was even a card that existed, I just swapped it into my mediocre black/white vampire deck.

I never drew it until today. Both decks were black/white. Mine had vampires, and his had the lion healing stuff. I played Dead Man's Chest on his creature that gains +1/+1 every time it heals, and Murder'd it when it hit 7/7.

Having 7 free cards that synergized with my deck with no mana color restrictions worked QUITE WELL, thank you very much.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
finished two ce runs with 7 wins back to back and got a Teferi each time as ICR reward. Seems rigged. I hate this card, it's like the game is taunting me.