• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just a quick question about how Raid works: does an attack just need to be declared, or does it actually need to resolve (i.e. attacker not destroyed/exiled before it deals damage) for the Raid effects to take place?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure raid triggers even if yours attackers leave the field an their attack don't go through...

OK I checked, raid checks if you have declared attack in your turn, it doesn't care if that attack went through or not :v

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Magic cards do what they say. Raid is an ability word which means it has no actual rules meaning. Whatever the text says is what the card does. Raid says "If a creature attacked this turn" not "if a creature dealt combat damage to a player or planeswalker."

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
an attack has to go through. If they get exiled/destroyed, then it's as if you didn't attack.
Fair enough, cheers.
BreezyLimbo is wrong. The moment you choose your creatures in the "Declare Attackers" step, Raid is active through the end of the turn, no matter what happens to the creatures. Even Spires of Orazca removing an attacker from combat doesn't change the fact that it attacked.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see the continued special rules events happening. Adds a nice twist to things and lets you maybe play some other cards. Though experimenting is tough what with the way wildcards work.

I hope that at some point they use the "Standard Gauntlet" format that they've used on Magic Online before, where there are a bunch of the top archetype decks from the format and you get one randomly to play through a league in. Maybe could do that soon after the World Magic Cup that happens soon and will have a lot of Standard happening.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BreezyLimbo is wrong. The moment you choose your creatures in the "Declare Attackers" step, Raid is active through the end of the turn, no matter what happens to the creatures. Even Spires of Orazca removing an attacker from combat doesn't change the fact that it attacked.

Oh

Its been a while since I used a raid card o:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm pretty sure raid triggers even if yours attackers leave the field an their attack don't go through...

OK I checked, raid checks if you have declared attack in your turn, it doesn't care if that attack went through or not :v

Thanks again all. And no worries BreezyLimbo, it hasn't cost me anything yet.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the game is trying to tell me I suck
OYqxnIN.png

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Tips for a bo1 MonoR list?
I'm currently running the usual tournament one (x4 Experimental Frenzy, x1 Rekindling Phoenix, x2 Lava Coil), but I was thinking whether to change the draw engine (using a couple of Risk Factor intstead of all in with Frenzy) or to cut the Phoenix (since everyone is running exile effects). I'm not really sure what's ideal for bo1 matches or what's better for each matchup (regarding the draw engine).

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Since I sort of suck at this game and can't get many wins in QC, this streamer event seems like a decent deal.

500g for a rare vs 1000g when getting a pack and it's probably less than that if you get a few wins and perhaps free if you're lucky or good.

This event is at least more fun to play IMO than the last couple.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about making opponents lives miserable, if you want easy wins in the Cascade event, run a mono red wizard/spell deck.

buIXWQn.png

Not pictured here for some reason-Izzets locket because I ran out of wizards lightning.

Edit: It's actually disgusting. Last game of my run(6-0) I had to mulligan down to 5 cards due to mana stuff but I still won.

Last edited:

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've run into that deck (and similar) a bunch of times in the event and it always folds. I'm just running a normal Golgari Midrange list swapping out a few cards for Elvish Rejuvinator. All of the red decks just crumble to Jadelight Ranger cascading into Wildgrowth Walker.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've run into that deck (and similar) a bunch of times in the event and it always folds. I'm just running a normal Golgari Midrange list swapping out a few cards for Elvish Rejuvinator. All of the red decks just crumble to Jadelight Ranger cascading into Wildgrowth Walker.

I ran into that deck once on one of my runs and I beat it

hmm. I'd have to run a few more times I guess

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Hah, running Golgari explore deck in the cascade event, while listening to music, and had drawn into lethal with multiple Sovereigns Bite. Had 2 Beast Whisperers and 2 Path of Discoveries. Too busy jamming and I played my Vampire Sovereign triggering both Path of Discoveries and both Beast Whisperers and milled myself out. Legit took me by surprise. Not used to milling myself out. Be warned y'all, check yourself before you mill yourself in this event. This event is so chill I took it for granted. :o

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I mean, I've heard of builds with Rowdy Crew, but I think it sucks, personally. What build would even be effective with it? Just jank?
Rowdy%2BCrew%2B%255BXLN%255D.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Talking about making opponents lives miserable, if you want easy wins in the Cascade event, run a mono red wizard/spell deck.

buIXWQn.png

Not pictured here for some reason-Izzets locket because I ran out of wizards lightning.

Edit: It's actually disgusting. Last game of my run(6-0) I had to mulligan down to 5 cards due to mana stuff but I still won.

You run too much mana, no?

I run a similar deck, except I don't use Lava Coils (in case of unlucky cascade), no Treason or Chainwhirler. Instead, I have 4 Risk Factors and 4 Tectonic Rifts (usually makes creatures unblockable).

Incapable of breaking the game to get 6 wins, but got the first 5:0 clear today ;)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what are you people doing with your gold and packs now that they announced duplicates will be gone at some point? I don't want to open anything because I won't be able to finish the vault before that update drops in a month or two. Since I got almost all shock lands at playset (except overgrown tomb, would have 0 of them if I didn't craft one for some reason) and one or two mythic playsets I really don't want to open duplicates of those. On the other hand I only need to open 6 more packs to get another mythic wildcard and wonder if they will change the system for that. They probably will change something when they remove duplicates for sure.
Sitting on 3 wildcards of every rarity, 3 packs and 17k gold at the moment.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I use my gold on drafts. If I don't open the vault before it's phased out I'm not too bothered. I'd rather keep enjoying the game rather than wait on their fix.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what are you people doing with your gold and packs now that they announced duplicates will be gone at some point? I don't want to open anything because I won't be able to finish the vault before that update drops in a month or two. Since I got almost all shock lands at playset (except overgrown tomb, would have 0 of them if I didn't craft one for some reason) and one or two mythic playsets I really don't want to open duplicates of those. On the other hand I only need to open 6 more packs to get another mythic wildcard and wonder if they will change the system for that. They probably will change something when they remove duplicates for sure.
Sitting on 3 wildcards of every rarity, 3 packs and 17k gold at the moment.
From the forum post where they announced the upcoming duplicate protection:
Should I wait to open my Vault until this issue is resolved?
We still plan on allowing players with completed Vaults to open them once changes go live (at least for a time), but the expectation is still that the Vault will go away and that its contents will not change. If you don't have a completed Vault it won't be lost, and we're working on what it will provide.
I would just crack packs and not worry about it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But...it just says if we have a complete vault we can still open it. And I won't get a complete vault. And I don't really want to see what an uncompleted would have in store when I look at what a complete one gives you lol.

And again, all I'm doing right now with cracking packs is running the risk of getting duplicates when I could just wait until the protection is in and...not get any duplicates. Doesn't help that I'll most likely get my Mnemonic Betrayal playset before I get a single Phoenix lmao.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
you have around an 8% chance of hitting a dupe opening a pack if there are four rares and two mythics you're worried about opening dupes of
if there's nothing else you want from the set that you might use in the months between now and implementation of no dupes, then sure, go ahead and wait, but if you didn't need them in the first place then why wait to guarantee opening them at all?

if you hit a dupe, it feels bad, and then... you get over it? how's it different from opening a bulk mythic that you'd never use?

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
MTGA to consoles and mobile sounds right.

God having this on my phone would be amazing. I could finally uninstall Hearthstone!

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this comes to phone they are going to have to add time to the turn clock

There is just no way to handle something like Elf Ball without a million sliding menus

Oct 25, 2017
If this comes to phone they are going to have to add time to the turn clock

There is just no way to handle something like Elf Ball without a million sliding menus
They could make the skip turn button actually work, and/or an "acknowledge all of these" button.

They could also make desktop stop subtracting an increment time every time you click a button, even if you click it instantly, resulting in you auto-losing if the stack grows to a certain size. That would be lovely.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-jeskai-control-60764#paper

Can someone help me understand why this has 4 Clifftop Retreat instead of Boros Guildgate? No mountains or plains are suggested, which means it's 4 rares instead of 4 commons, and I don't think the rares could ever trigger.

*edit* Ooh, leaving this to make my ignorance known: I didn't know that Sacred Foundry counted as a Mountain AND a Plains for this purpose.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-jeskai-control-60764#paper

Can someone help me understand why this has 4 Clifftop Retreat instead of Boros Guildgate? No mountains or plains are suggested, which means it's 4 rares instead of 4 commons, and I don't think the rares could ever trigger.

*edit* Ooh, leaving this to make my ignorance known: I didn't know that Sacred Foundry counted as a Mountain AND a Plains for this purpose.

Yeah when I discovered that it worked that way I was stunned. It makes them incredibly powerful. Using rares on those lands is very boring from an exciting-ness perspective, but wow does it pay off in consistency in stuff like this. Having a full cycle of the rare lands makes a big, big difference in multicolor decks being able to work or not.

Sep 14, 2018
I just saw today's announcement and was very excited until Chris Clay offhandedly mentioned the one thing I've been waiting all year for is coming, just not for bo3 constructed.

No rank/rewards for competitive play, only for bo1 and limited which is great, basic features always welcome but why exclude bo3 of all things?

I already mostly dropped the game and now I know there's nothing for me until the Azorius cards bring me back, top tier decision making over at WotC as usual.

giphy.gif

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
both of these tracker software just suck, they just randomly stop working. So annoying. How hard it is to parse a text file on consistent intervals???

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone else feel conflicted between adding flavour appropriate cards and cards which work way better with your deck strategically? The current deck I'm building is 100% goblin save for Banefire and it's killing me.

Ok it's not actually a tough decision at all, I just have to pretend I've got a fire-breathing goblin somewhere.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Had a new idea for a card resource system. This wouldn't work for MTG as-is but could work for a very MTG-like digital game, I think.

When most skilled deck-builders craft a deck, they use certain thresholds to decide which cards their manabase can support. For example, this article is used a lot.

What if, instead of enforcing mana-base success/failure in-game, it was enforced in deckbuilding? Say we're building a constructed deck. We have 60 budget to start. We can allocate that to cards (1 budget = 1 card) or to mana (1 budget = 1 devotion to W, U, B, R or G).

In order to even put a card in your deck, you must meet a certain devotion to that colour. So to play Chainwhirler, you would need 23 devotion to R (or some other number) in your deck resource allocation.

Then, in-game, you gain generic mana as a function of your card:devotion ratio.

Many people who defend lands talk about how they benefit the ability to deck-build. For that reason, I think it's interesting to think about moving both the costs and benefits to that stage, rather than in game. I'm sure there are lots of problems. This would probably make a MTG-like game too consistent. But I've never seen anyone propose a solution like this and I wonder what folks think.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else feel conflicted between adding flavour appropriate cards and cards which work way better with your deck strategically? The current deck I'm building is 100% goblin save for Banefire and it's killing me.

Ok it's not actually a tough decision at all, I just have to pretend I've got a fire-breathing goblin somewhere.
Not unless I'm building an EDH deck.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
This would probably make a MTG-like game too consistent.

And this is why, even though it sucks when we get mana screwed/flood, the current system works really well. It adds a huge element of variance to the game. It pretty much guarantees that most decks aren't fully optimized at play time (decks that approach that are usually broken and not fun to play against). Variance and catch-up mechanics are two of the most important things in fun, social games.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed the overflowing omniscience deck.
One opponent decides to let me go trough the almost infinite turns rather than conceding, that was pretty boring :v