• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much rely entirely on variance because am aesthetically pleasing deck means more to me than a strategically solid one. Odd numbers? Assymetric cycles? Non-tribal creatures in tribal decks? Unacceptable.

...I don't really play constructed.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd rather lose with a aesthetically pleasing deck than win with anything else.

Unfortunately my opponents are more than willing to oblige.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Er, they HAD a calendar, much as it wasn't updated as much as I'd like... but now that link is just, like, descriptions of what the various event types possible are, plus some junk about streamers. Come on, guys, I just want a nice easy to follow schedule so I can know what's up!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast announce huge esports investment for 2019
Just today, at the Games Awards, Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast unveiled exciting futures for Magic: The Gathering fans and players. Millions of online viewers tuned in for the Awards and saw the big announcement — a huge investment into Magic esports.

The year 2019 brings a newly restructured Magic esports program. The competitive program is for Magic: The Gathering and Magic: The Gathering Arena. Not only are we seeing a complete restructure, but a huge investment of money backs these tournaments — $10 million to be exact.

Magic esports
Magic esports encompasses both Magic games — Magic: The Gathering Arena and tabletop Magic. The new program is designed to appeal to Magic's 20 million players around the globe. The pool of money will be divided among all Magic esports tournaments. A total of 10 tournaments are played each year. These are called Mythic Championships along with other partner-run events. The 10 million will be split equally between Magic Arena and tabletop Magic.

The esports program will kick off at PAX East in Boston next year. The tournament will be a hefty $1 million invitational. This Mythic Championship will be the first $1 million tournament held at PAX East for 2019.

Chris Cocks, the President of Wizards of the Coast, commented on the importance of Magic esports and its commitment to esports:

Today is an extremely important day for Magic: The Gathering as we announce our commitment to esports and our Magic players by introducing a new tournament structure with a $10 Million prize pool. We have worked diligently to create a program that will establish Magic as a major player in esports, particularly with Magic: The Gathering Arena in the collectable card game category.
Magic Pro League
The restructure of Magic esports also ushers in the launch of the Magic Pro League. This league will feature the 32 top ranked Magic players. These players are automatically qualified for each Mythic Championship. Each player will receive a competitive pro contract and a shot at the $10 million prize pool over the course of the year.

This program was designed to support players and push the game to new heights. The Vice President of Esports at Wizards of the Coast, Elaine Chase, is excited to bring the game to a broader audience:

The past 25 years of Magic competition has led us to design this comprehensive esports program that would support Magic: The Gathering Arena, while increasing our investment in tabletop Magic. Magic Esports will catapult the game to new heights while providing support to the players by giving them the platform to build their brand and bring Magic to a broader audience.
Wizards of the Coast
The organization that brings people together through Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons is Wizards of the Coast. They strive to build a community of players for both tabletop and digital games. Wizards of the Coast is a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc., the company behind Magic: The Gathering. Hasbro is also responsible for other such popular series including Monopoly, My Little Pony, and Transformers. Both companies have been working to bring Magic esports to more players and celebrate esports.
The Leek.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I heard on stream that GAMEAWARDS was a new MTGA code, and ingame it even said redeemed successfully. However, it didn't actually show me any reward. Was that a glitch and the cards just show up in the collection?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Magic just announced a new code for Arena on the Game Awards.

GAMEAWARDS

It unlocks some kind of starter pack. They didn't say what it was specifically.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here's what it unlocks based on what MTGA Tracker shows that I gained after using the code:
Conclave Tribunal
Cleansing Nova
Ghalta, Primal Hunger
Search for Azcanta
Sinister Sabotage
Vraska's Comtempt
The Eldest Reborn
Lava Coil
Risk Factor
Merfolk Branchwalker

Someone on reddit is claiming it is 4x of the Uncommons and 1x of the rares. I can't be sure cause I already had some copies of all these uncommons. It's definitely 1x of the rares.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what it unlocks based on what MTGA Tracker shows that I gained after using the code:
Conclave Tribunal
Cleansing Nova
Ghalta, Primal Hunger
Search for Azcanta
Sinister Sabotage
Vraska's Comtempt
The Eldest Reborn
Lava Coil
Risk Factor
Merfolk Branchwalker

Someone on reddit is claiming it is 4x of the Uncommons and 1x of the rares. I can't be sure cause I already had some copies of all these uncommons. It's definitely 1x of the rares.
Awesome, thanks! I checked those and it looks like it went through, since I don't think I had any Search for Azcanta and now I have one. I'm not sure I had many copies of The Eldest Reborn either, and a second Cleansing Nova is nice.

My first vault is up to almost 72%!

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Arena REALLY REALLY needs a filter for "new cards" you have gained. Its dumb as hell that I had to run 3rd party software to find that stuff out.

Oct 25, 2017
Arena REALLY REALLY needs a filter for "new cards" you have gained. Its dumb as hell that I had to run 3rd party software to find that stuff out.
Yep. Events are especially guilty of this since it sometimes bugs out the card reveal and they just vanish into the mist.

Speaking of which, there's a new singleton challenge mode with higher cost and higher rewards that I don't remember hearing about.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was wonderwing why signups for Singleton were ending and a new Singleton was getting ready to start.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MTG 2019 Pro play: "Yeah ok Arena is making so much money we're just throwing everything out the window"

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, nice, they actually hit upon rares I still needed some of! Wasn't expecting to get much out of this, but it'll actually help out my collection!

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they killed MTGO without even announcing it that they did. They forgot to even mention what happens to MTGO lol

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The new Singleton mode takes 1500g, you get it back with 3 wins plus 1 rare and 1 uncommon. More wins than that gives more gold and potentially packs at the higher wins. 500g and a rare and uncommon if you lose out right away.

If you go 2-2 you get 1000g and a rare + uncommon. So basically a half price pack with no wildcards (1500 to enter refund 1000). Kind seems meh? I mean if you have a rocking Singleton deck and can get above 3 wins consistently this seems like a great gold farm (plus Dominaria packs), but I can't do that since my Singleton decks suck. So I'll probably stay away.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Singleton mode takes 1500g, you get it back with 3 wins plus 1 rare and 1 uncommon. More wins than that gives more gold and potentially packs at the higher wins. 500g and a rare and uncommon if you lose out right away.

If you go 2-2 you get 1000g and a rare + uncommon. So basically a half price pack with no wildcards (1500 to enter refund 1000). Kind seems meh? I mean if you have a rocking Singleton deck and can get above 3 wins consistently this seems like a great gold farm (plus Dominaria packs), but I can't do that since my Singleton decks suck. So I'll probably stay away.
Competitive Constructed has always been the money spinner for me. It's just time consuming so I don't chain it too often.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I never played singleton, what's good there? I might try, I'm sitting on so much gold. By the time expansion arrives I probably have almost 100k gold and just keep drafting new expansion. That's my plan.

Oct 28, 2017
I never played singleton, what's good there? I might try, I'm sitting on so much gold. By the time expansion arrives I probably have almost 100k gold and just keep drafting new expansion. That's my plan.

I'm not sure singleton has a solved meta at all. The most I've seen is that some people like GB. I tried running 5 color good stuff last night just to see how it would work and it's not terrible. A lot of people are running garbage cards that would barely make the cut in a draft, whereas my deck is stacked with bombs. It's not fine-tuned though and I'm not sure it can ever be consistent enough to be good. I might try to rework it as a historic deck as a lot of these bombs are legends.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Singleton is really fun. My own homebrewed jank isn't as terrible there since deck consistency is low to begin with.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I end up watching a good bit of EDH vids on youtube, as well as listening to the command zone podcast. So, because of the format, there are similarities between EDH and singleton. JumboCommander is an EDH guy who does singleton vids on Arena. Its interesting to see certain takes on the format and how certain concepts play out. Singleton is also great if you only have a few copies of cards and want to try things out without necessarily getting stomped. Rat colony decks are pretty common though in singleton. Don't know if thats changed...

Oct 25, 2017
I end up watching a good bit of EDH vids on youtube, as well as listening to the command zone podcast. So, because of the format, there are similarities between EDH and singleton. JumboCommander is an EDH guy who does singleton vids on Arena. Its interesting to see certain takes on the format and how certain concepts play out. Singleton is also great if you only have a few copies of cards and want to try things out without necessarily getting stomped. Rat colony decks are pretty common though in singleton. Don't know if thats changed...
I'm literally not sure I've ever seen a rat colony singleton deck since the first 3 days or so of trying Arena after the official release. They're mediocre to begin with, and some cards absolutely demolish them.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it!
6aBfXIK.png

This is the deck I used:
AL93gjB.png

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen the game be really laggy recently? Even after a fresh restart, a lot of the time when someone plays a card or the turn changes, the little debug framerate thing will dive down to 1-10 fps before going back up to 60.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As useful as the Pro Tracker has been, I'm probably going to need to uninstall it. Seeing my dismal win-loss ratio in numbers is starting to get a bit too demoralising.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen the game be really laggy recently? Even after a fresh restart, a lot of the time when someone plays a card or the turn changes, the little debug framerate thing will dive down to 1-10 fps before going back up to 60.

That happened to me a couple days ago where the game became laggy then crashed in a match.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That always happened to me but it was snappy when I restarted it. Recently I've had the thing where playing certain cards or changing turns sometimes lags no matter what and I see disk usage, so I'm not sure what's up.

So that actually happened to me ALOT during the cascade event, where after a few cascade matches it was literally unplayable.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a new stupid goal in life -- getting even 3/4 of the way to completing Liliana's Contract. I got that card a while back and have been wanting to attempt it.

However, I believe standard format has exactly 4 different demon names so you have to use 100% of them? Am I missing any? *edit* I guess Lazav counts as a 5th one, and I have that in the deck too.

*edit* I actually got it to work after only 3 games or so! Of course the really silly thing is that if I have 3 different flying trample 6/6 demons out, chances are I've won anyway. :P It took someone being super nice and just playing random topdeck cards instead of conceding while I kept not attacking with the demons I had out. I guess they wanted to see what actually happened when the contract went off too. Unfortunately nothing special happens -- not even a voice line or animation, unlike Hearthstone alt win conditions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a new stupid goal in life -- getting even 3/4 of the way to completing Liliana's Contract. I got that card a while back and have been wanting to attempt it.

However, I believe standard format has exactly 4 different demon names so you have to use 100% of them? Am I missing any? *edit* I guess Lazav counts as a 5th one, and I have that in the deck too.

*edit* I actually got it to work after only 3 games or so! Of course the really silly thing is that if I have 3 different flying trample 6/6 demons out, chances are I've won anyway. :P It took someone being super nice and just playing random topdeck cards instead of conceding while I kept not attacking with the demons I had out. I guess they wanted to see what actually happened when the contract went off too. Unfortunately nothing special happens -- not even a voice line or animation, unlike Hearthstone alt win conditions.

Isn't there an enchantment one that summons a demon too? unless you meant that one.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Don't forget about Arcane Adaptation.

46.jpg
I love that card. I use it in my Beckett Brass deck to make creatures I steal to become pirates and then get pirate synergies. Arcane Adaptation alongside Captivating Crew, Hijack, Entrancing Melody, Thief of Sanity and Hostage Taker is great. Ive wanted to make that Liliana's contract deck for a while, but just didnt have multiple copies of it. If y'all have some good builds share the success stories! I hope its a good combo worth doing.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I "accidentally" completed the dimir control/sadist deck I was working on sans a Dream eater and the missing shock lands.
I thought Going against mono blue tempo was demoralizing, but this is straight up mean.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Game sucks for someone who never played mtg before. Played for 3 hours and didnt get a single win with the starter decks.

Sep 14, 2018
Game sucks for someone who never played mtg before. Played for 3 hours and didnt get a single win with the starter decks.

I've been saying all year mtga wasn't good for new players to learn the game, they since added a tutorial that I don't know how much it helps cause I skipped it, but to be fair there's only so much they can do, it's not a game you pick up in a day, the value of certain things is hard to evaluate for new players until they see it in action. But the basics are very straight forward, can I ask what you're having trouble with?

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying all year mtga wasn't good for new players to learn the game, they since added a tutorial that I don't know how much it helps cause I skipped it, but to be fair there's only so much they can do, it's not a game you pick up in a day, the value of certain things is hard to evaluate for new players until they see it in action. But the basics are very straight forward, can I ask what you're having trouble with?
The tutorials are super easy. I think they are rigged and make sure you win them.

I dont know what my problem is thats why it seems hard to get better.
I barely cause any damage to the player.
Normally ends up me loosing 18-20 to 0 after my opponent starts some crazy combo attacks.
Looks to me like the people i play with know exactly what they are doing and plan all their moves until they get to a point where they unleash their furry onto me :D
Oh and they are super fast. I barely keep up reading what their cards can do.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The tutorial is mediocre. It focuses too much on the most basic obvious things then somehow it overlooks crucial aspect of the game like phases and such. Overall I feel it was a copy paste of HS tutorial and aimed at a HS player, which makes sense but it doesn't try to educate them about magic, it tries to tell them to play mtg like they play HS... which is not going to end well....

I watched someone play mtg for the first time with this and they didn't know what all these buttons (stops) are, they were so confused. You accidentally go into full control and they didn't know what to do at all. It was bad.

Also I had another person just not knowing how to read the mana cost of the cards. I can understand it, every other card game has this huge number that is the mana cost. You see the colorless cost on a mtg card and you think it's the only cost. Apparently tutorial doesn't tell any thing about mana cost.

There are some links to articles on wizards site in the game now that explain the basics. There are also level one series of articles by Reid Duke on the official site for more advanced tips. if you're starting from zero, I think you need to take a look. It's quite concise.

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Bot matches that count for quest completion are the way to resolve this, IMO. Let newbies take as much time as they need before facing other players.