• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's the complete rules. It has all the cards in Standard right now. So every card in the sets Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, Core Set 2019, and Guilds of Ravnica.

If you start playing now there's a tutorial you can go through, then it'll give you some starter decks and you'll get quests to unlock ten more starter decks over the next few days for free.

I just played 30 straight matches. Im hooked lol

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I have finally scraped together enough cards to make a rather competitive budget Izzet deck, can finally beat decks that felt like bullshit before :P

It took WotC too fucking long to make this happen

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Vampires vs monored aggro is pretty annoying. Literally comes down to whether they draw a Chainwhirler before I can buff my tokens above 1. Only if somehow neither player draws those win conditions there's an actual match.

I feel like I'm missing some way to get above token hate. Legion Lieutenant gets removed immediately so I'm left with Radiant Destiny which I don't draw on time most games.

Sep 14, 2018
Vampires vs monored aggro is pretty annoying. Literally comes down to whether they draw a Chainwhirler before I can buff my tokens above 1. Only if somehow neither player draws those win conditions there's an actual match.

I feel like I'm missing some way to get above token hate. Legion Lieutenant gets removed immediately so I'm left with Radiant Destiny which I don't draw on time most games.

Vamps have a great matchup vs mono red, their creatures are terrible, if you're losing just to chainwhirler etb that's a deck problem, maybe I can help a little if you post your list.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Vamps have a great matchup vs mono red, their creatures are terrible, if you're losing just to chainwhirler etb that's a deck problem, maybe I can help a little if you post your list.
It's pretty close to this list: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public?id=29460

I do still win most games against monored, but it's just annoying that an early Chainwhirler can completely turn everything around. And in general the deck doesn't really have a plan against any board clears besides playing slow, and that has its own huge risks.

Sep 14, 2018

This is the list I ran a few months ago, I think the way to go is as aggresive as possible, Tribunal, Prophet, QC are too slow and too fair, control decks will always be a problem for decks like these, no need to help them by being slow. If you only make 1 change it should be to add Adanto Vanguard.

vamps.png

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This is the list I ran a few months ago, I think the way to go is as aggresive as possible, Tribunal, Prophet, QC are too slow and too fair, control decks will always be a problem for decks like these, no need to help them by being slow. If you only make 1 change it should be to add Adanto Vanguard.

vamps.png
Thanks.

The current version actually does have Adanto instead of so much late game. I completely forgot about Vicious Conquistador though, and it's a bit odd Merchant left it out of the list since I remember him gushing about how good it is. That's definitely something I'll try to find room for.

I like Tribunal in the deck since it can handle any roadblock, and it's usually very cheap considering the amount of tokens. Something like turn 4 Call to the Feast + tap Lieutenant + Tribunal the big blocker they're trying to stabilize with is devastating.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know when the new set is going to hit MGTA?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who values Prophet. It's so helpful during stalemates or to help stabilize.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who values Prophet. It's so helpful during stalemates or to help stabilize.
I really like it, but it's so hard to make stick. If it sticks it almost feels like you've won already anyway, but there are probably times when it comes out and once you see it not immediately die you're all yesyessss.gif. And then they get hit by a 4-cost card you draw and concede.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I want to get back into Magic and I didn't find a good place near me to play.
I tried Arena some weeks ago and felt like it was rather heavily relying on MTX, which I get but it still sucks.

If I continued with arena, are there things I should consider buying ASAP? which cards should I focus on?
Is it possible to trade with other players or can I only get cards by purchasing them myself?

Also, did they adopt the Pokemon TCG modell where you get a code with a IRL booster to get cards in the game? Because that would be awesome.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I want to get back into Magic and I didn't find a good place near me to play.
I tried Arena some weeks ago and felt like it was rather heavily relying on MTX, which I get but it still sucks.

If I continued with arena, are there things I should consider buying ASAP? which cards should I focus on?
Is it possible to trade with other players or can I only get cards by purchasing them myself?

Also, did they adopt the Pokemon TCG modell where you get a code with a IRL booster to get cards in the game? Because that would be awesome.

So if you do the daily missions, I think starting out you get a new deck every day. You end up getting around 8 decks or so for free. After that just play till you get used to it, completing quests earns you gold(As well as winning), and once you're comfortable you can go into constructed to earn gold through there to buy packs.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if you do the daily missions, I think starting out you get a new deck every day. You end up getting around 8 decks or so for free. After that just play till you get used to it, completing quests earns you gold(As well as winning), and once you're comfortable you can go into constructed to earn gold through there to buy packs.
I played some games already. What set should I use my gold on?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played some games already. What set should I use my gold on?

Save your gold for now, as a new set is coming out. That and I personally save my gold for the draft events they have(Usually it's like...they'll have you draft 50-60 cards for a 40 card deck, and the prizes usually include gems, the premium currency, or booster packs. You keep all the cards you draft.)

Once you get the hang of the game, you can use the wild cards you got to gain cards you would use. Otherwise, save them for the new set~!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Save your gold for now, as a new set is coming out. That and I personally save my gold for the draft events they have(Usually it's like...they'll have you draft 50-60 cards for a 40 card deck, and the prizes usually include gems, the premium currency, or booster packs. You keep all the cards you draft.)

Once you get the hang of the game, you can use the wild cards you got to gain cards you would use. Otherwise, save them for the new set~!
I just watched a great beginner guide to Arena, I didn't even know there was drafting in this!

I think I'll actually get the welcome pack for 5 bucks and get some cards from the new set with it in 2 weeks while playing some draft to get some M19 cards.
Also I didn't know about the wildcards - I gotta say, it's looking less and less grindy. They really should work on the UI tutorial and such, because at first glance I thought It'd be a grind/MTX-fest to get a decent deck.

Does anybody know if this will be integrated in steam in the future as well? It's way more convenient to play with friends that way I guess. Also, is it actually possible to play against friends ?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I complained about bronze and silver ranks a while ago but it's not all bad. I just farmed 7, 7 and 6 win drafts on my way to gold. So in regular ranked it's a pointless grind, but in ranked draft it seems to be free gems and packs.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

You end up with 15 decks from the 'new player experience'. You get the 5 mono colored decks, then every day for 5 days, you can unlock 1 dual colored deck. On the 6th day, you unlock the other 5. http://magicarena.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Experience . Kwigo , you can google "Magic Arena starter decks" or "Magic Arena budget decks" to see some easy paths to upgrading some of them. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/free-to-play-fish-saproling-swarm-standard-magic-arena here is an example of 3 versions of the starter green/black deck. The first is the free one you get. The V2 is slightly upgraded but should be do-able from wildcards you get without spending money. The V3 is the top tier competitive version that you'd probably need to spend money to get enough wildcards immediately. Other articles in that series (bottom of page) show how to enhance the other decks.

Does anybody know if this will be integrated in steam in the future as well? It's way more convenient to play with friends that way I guess. Also, is it actually possible to play against friends ?

Not sure about Steam integration, I'd be surprised. You can direct challenge friends using the crossed swords in the top of the UI. It's also one of the big rotating tiles on the main page. No idea how it works though as none of my friends play.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Orzhov walker seems bad. Sucks. I like this but seems that Planeswalker will be sideboard at best.

Sep 14, 2018
She is bad, but very unique and has a (small) chance to see play either in a new deck or some sideboard, Dovin is straight up unplayable, people may want to get cute with it and I'm sure he will be tried out, but then quickly dismissed as garbage. No PW is getting away with having such do nothing abilities. I'd rather play the Dovin from the planeswalker deck, that's how bad this is.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So when the set comes out, nothing rotates out of Arena for now correct?

I'm hoping we get some more variation in tier 1 standard. I realise that if I don't like one of the archtypes I find standard really boring and just love playing more brew type decks. This of course just gets you smashed in Gold / construction Event.

I almost wish there was a brew type of play mode but it would be impossible to really define I suppose.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping we get some more variation in tier 1 standard. I realise that if I don't like one of the archtypes I find standard really boring and just love playing more brew type decks. This of course just gets you smashed in Gold / construction Event.

I almost wish there was a brew type of play mode but it would be impossible to really define I suppose.
Nothing rotates until fall.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington

https://whatsinstandard.com/ is a good site to check if you even want to see when sets rotate.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm not an experienced player by any means so I might be looking at this wrong, but I don't see this as very useful for merfolk. At least the aggressive builds I've faced are already starting run out of cards by the time they could even play this.

The go to strat for matchups with slower decks is to stall merfolks by targeting key pieces. This gives them a lot more resilience in the mid to late game, if built properly.

It won't make it more powerful; it will make it more consistent.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I downloaded/uninstalled this game probably 3 or 4 times since open beta launched and it just wasn't clicking but gave it another go about 2 weeks ago and became completely hooked. Not really sure what happened but I've been playing several matches every single day now... spent $50 on Ravnica cards and will probably spend $50 more on the new set later this month.

Too new and still learning to really evaluate any of these card reveals but I'm excited for more stuff to fool around with. Done some ranked and gotten to gold tier so far and wanna dive into some drafting soon too.

I can't wait for this to hit tablets and mobile as well... it's gonna be the end of me lol

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RDW is everywhere in Constructed Event. At least 60% of my games are against RDW.

It's frustrating because so many of my games don't seem to come down to who played better, but who went first. You can definitely tell Magic was not designed for best of 1.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
hit 100% vault progress

any reason not to just grab the wildcards? do we know how long it will be until they do their new 5th card solution?

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I downloaded/uninstalled this game probably 3 or 4 times since open beta launched and it just wasn't clicking but gave it another go about 2 weeks ago and became completely hooked. Not really sure what happened but I've been playing several matches every single day now... spent $50 on Ravnica cards and will probably spend $50 more on the new set later this month.

Too new and still learning to really evaluate any of these card reveals but I'm excited for more stuff to fool around with. Done some ranked and gotten to gold tier so far and wanna dive into some drafting soon too.

I can't wait for this to hit tablets and mobile as well... it's gonna be the end of me lol

Don't worry about being bad at card evaluations during spoiler season. It is a defining characteristic of a magic player that they are awful at evaluations.

Oct 25, 2017
RDW is everywhere in Constructed Event. At least 60% of my games are against RDW.

It's frustrating because so many of my games don't seem to come down to who played better, but who went first. You can definitely tell Magic was not designed for best of 1.
For those who aren't familiar with terminology, this apparently means "Red Deck Wins" and is used to refer to mono-red decks.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am really excited for the new expansion in a week and a half. I think it's a great marketing move to have it release on Magic Arena a week before paper.

I've got a bunch of wildcards and gold saved up ready to open packs and make new decks with the expansion. Hopefully it also launches with their 5th card solution (and without nerfs to constructed event)

Oct 25, 2017
While we're wishing, it would be amazing if they released an update where you don't have to click Resolve 3.5 million times for a stack of the same trigger, and/or a way to not have your timeouts eaten when it happens.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just unlocked the GB merfolk starter deck. Are merfolks the new elves ? Tons of +1/+1 and such.
Is this viable with the right cards ?