• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 14, 2018
I just unlocked the GB merfolk starter deck. Are merfolks the new elves ? Tons of +1/+1 and such.
Is this viable with the right cards ?

It is indeed a competitive deck that can win games when built right. It's not in the meta right now but the guild with that color pair is coming in like 2 weeks so who knows what will happen then.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crushing people into Gold 1 with boros aggro combined with divine visitation. It may change when I get into Platinum and really, the deck probably would be more consistent if I just followed the standard boros t1 template, but divine has caught people off-guard a few times. Helps that there is not much enchantment hate being used in standard at the moment.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
While we're wishing, it would be amazing if they released an update where you don't have to click Resolve 3.5 million times for a stack of the same trigger, and/or a way to not have your timeouts eaten when it happens.
In general there needs to be better ways to skip through phases. I've been playing a lot of Adanto Vanguard and it's driving me insane that the game asks at every possible moment whether I want to give her indestructible even if nothing is about to damage or destroy her or she already has indestructible.

I would love a "Yes, genuinely keep skipping everything" option with an adjustable time frame. So for example it skips after a second unless I cancel and I could increase it if I want more time to react. The current skip switch is pretty pointless since it still asks for a resolve for just about everything.

btw What does an orange name mean? Dev or something?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In general there needs to be better ways to skip through phases. I've been playing a lot of Adanto Vanguard and it's driving me insane that the game asks at every possible moment whether I want to give her indestructible even if nothing is about to damage or destroy her or she already has indestructible.

I would love a "Yes, genuinely keep skipping everything" option with an adjustable time frame. So for example it skips after a second unless I cancel and I could increase it if I want more time to react. The current skip switch is pretty pointless since it still asks for a resolve for just about everything.

btw What does an orange name mean? Dev or something?
Yeah orange is a Dev player. Always wondered when I'd run into one, but I never have!

Oct 25, 2017
You can use shift + enter to toggle skip all on / off correct? I use that for Advanto.
I thought it never seemed to work properly when I used to try that sort of thing, though maybe they fixed it. It also might make you miss responding after the entire stack, but before they do anything else.

On another note, I just got my first polyraptor as a single card reward. Please tell me there's a dumb meme deck that uses this somewhere. :P

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Just started the game. I have experience with MTG and the old Duels game, feels like a more polished version of them. So I've just unlocked the basic 5 decks and built my own based on whats available.

So far, I'm going RG with mana elves and dragons.

How's the collection for new players once everything unlocks? packs seems to take very long to get.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Im new to card games and have spend about 80 hours in artifact the past month and a half.

I decided to try out the mtga arena yesterday and am having a good time so far! Bought the $5 welcome deal and am looking forward to maybe playing with some fellow members here and learning a thing or two. I have no idea what im doing.gif

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im new to card games and have spend about 80 hours in artifact the past month and a half.

I decided to try out the mtga arena yesterday and am having a good time so far! Bought the $5 welcome deal and am looking forward to maybe playing with some fellow members here and learning a thing or two. I have no idea what im doing.gif
I would suggest watching LegenVD on youtube. He's really chill with a soothing voice and makes it really easy for people to learn new strategies and habits.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Couple quick questions about the ranked modes. When you gain a rank can you still derank down to the previous one? In hearthstone you can't which I thought was pretty good because you can experiment more with decks because you can't go below specific ranks.

Also, does anyone know if the rewards are based on your rank at the end of the season or your best rank that season?

Sep 14, 2018
Couple quick questions about the ranked modes. When you gain a rank can you still derank down to the previous one? In hearthstone you can't which I thought was pretty good because you can experiment more with decks because you can't go below specific ranks.

Also, does anyone know if the rewards are based on your rank at the end of the season or your best rank that season?

You can go down in tiers in the same rank, from gold 3 to gold 4 etc, but not from gold to silver.

The rewards are based on your highest rank but don't worry about them, there are 5 tiers of rewards and the only difference between them is 1 pack so basically who cares. This is pretty much a trial run for the ranking system.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
You can go down in tiers in the same rank, from gold 3 to gold 4 etc, but not from gold to silver.

The rewards are based on your highest rank but don't worry about them, there are 5 tiers of rewards and the only difference between them is 1 pack so basically who cares. This is pretty much a trial run for the ranking system.
Cool, thanks. I'm glad you can't lose rank. Means I can get to Silver V or whatever and just screw around for a bit with decks.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
Got destroyed playing ranked Rivals of Ixalan draft this weekend. Guessing most of the players drafting in Platinum have experience playing it before while I'm new to the format. Felt like most of my opponents curved out perfectly and got their limited bombs out early while I was screwed or flooded in 2/3rds of my games. Think I'll stick to constructed events until the new set rotates in since there aren't a lot of cards in Rivals I'm interested in for my collection.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not often I see a really unusual deck in casual unranked games. Tonight I ran into someone who played 3 consecutive Haphazard Bombardment and followed up with Cleansing Nova and Star of Extinction to bring me down to 1 land from like 6-8.

Thankfully they still lost, but it was surprisingly close.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
is it just me, or do a lot of white players spend WAY too much life on protecting their adanto vanguards?

like, I get it, it's a cool ability, but you just spent like 12 life to protect that one minion for a couple turns. People are going down to like 5 life just to keep this 2-mana creature alive. You are allowed to let it die, I know you have a million other creatures in your deck anyway.

I would suggest watching LegenVD on youtube. He's really chill with a soothing voice and makes it really easy for people to learn new strategies and habits.
seconded, dude is great

I'd be kind of careful with the series of guides he has for upgrading the starter decks though

wildcards are kind of hard to come by when you're first starting out, and you don't really want to spend too many of them upgrading a ton of decks

just be smart about when you choose to spend the wildcards and when you leave part of the deck as-is

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Ill check legenVD out, thanks for the tips. As a new player, is it best for me to upgrade the starter decks or to create a new deck?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ill check legenVD out, thanks for the tips. As a new player, is it best for me to upgrade the starter decks or to create a new deck?
You should just swap out cards from the starter decks with clear upgrades first, before you start creating new decks. If you're starting out, you probably won't have enough cards to make a worthwhile brand new deck anyway.

May 1, 2018
Are there any indications on when there will be a mobile release of the game? Or if it will be coming to any other platforms such as PS4, Switch, XBO?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nothing concrete, afaik the only mention was very early on during closed beta that theoretically this could be ported some day. Imo people are way too optimistic regarding a mobile/console port, this is way out in the future if ever. I wouldn't be surprised if this will never get a mobile release, not until we have 21" phones...

May 1, 2018
Hearthstone works on mobile so I don't see why this can't. Same basic setup, though there are differences of course. I just want a real MTG on my phone other than Magic 2015.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Hearthstone works on mobile so I don't see why this can't. Same basic setup, though there are differences of course. I just want a real MTG on my phone other than Magic 2015.
I think the main issue is the insane amount of interactivity the game has. It would be difficult to adapt 20 triggers on a mobile screen. I'm sure they could do it but it could be a while.

May 1, 2018
I suppose both of those points are true. Still, it would be nice to take it on the go with me instead of being tethered to my PC.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I doubt it would be worth the effort to port it for tablets, and even with the bigger screen the UI would require extensive rework.

I'd say it's more likely to come for phones and tablets than for tablets only but both is unlikely imo (at least looking at the next 2 years).

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely going to come to mobile at some point. There's 0 chance it gets the mass appeal WotC clearly wants without being able to play a match while you poop at work. I think the bigger hurdle for mobile ports is them sharing 30% of their gem sales with Google/Apple. I suppose they could cut out purchasing from the mobile clients, but then you're probably guaranteeing that a large portion of your playerbase will just never buy anything.

Are there any indications on when there will be a mobile release of the game? Or if it will be coming to any other platforms such as PS4, Switch, XBO?

Other card games (Gwent, Eternal, Elder Scrolls?) have come to XBO because there are no/little restrictions for cross-platform accounts there (i.e. you'll have your cards when you log in on Xbox). PS4 is still weird in that regard so who knows there. I think the other Magic games were fairly popular on consoles, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them port it. Consoles have much less reach than phones/tablets, so even though it'd be easier, I would think phones are top port priority.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why would revenue sharing be the issue, it's better than zero revenue. Regardless, it's unlikely to come to mobile anytime soon and I have not seen anything indicating otherwhise.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played my first draft game today with ixalan. I had no prior knowledge of the set, went white and blue and I somehow won my first game despite a very bad beginning!
Gotta sleep now tho, I'll continue tomorrow evening. Damn it feels good to play some magic again !

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any tips on what to pick for the ixalan draft?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EcejIJV.png

Quick and dirty deck i made with vindicator, anything I should move around?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Btw I took the 5€ newbie deal. Should I buy some packs from the new expansion in 2 weeks or should I only use the crystals for draft ?
I'm sitting on 2500 crystals right now, should be about 3 to 3.5k when the expansion hits.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw I took the 5€ newbie deal. Should I buy some packs from the new expansion in 2 weeks or should I only use the crystals for draft ?
I'm sitting on 2500 crystals right now, should be about 3 to 3.5k when the expansion hits.

Use it for drafts, because usually you get the same difference as if you were buying packs(a draft will give you <60 cards depending on the format, equivalent to 8 packs or so, and you have a chance at earning more through the draft and gaining more gems). Especially with the new set around the corner~!

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017

I started playing a few weeks ago and would recommend drafts. As the other poster said, you get about the same from them card wise. In addition, I currently prefer drafts to constructed since in general the cards being played and the situations you are in are bit simpler than in constructed. Also they are an even playing field for newer players with a smaller collection!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Use it for drafts, because usually you get the same difference as if you were buying packs(a draft will give you <60 cards depending on the format, equivalent to 8 packs or so, and you have a chance at earning more through the draft and gaining more gems). Especially with the new set around the corner~!
I started playing a few weeks ago and would recommend drafts. As the other poster said, you get about the same from them card wise. In addition, I currently prefer drafts to constructed since in general the cards being played and the situations you are in are bit simpler than in constructed. Also they are an even playing field for newer players with a smaller collection!
Will the new expansion be available in draft right away ?

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Will the new expansion be available in draft right away ?

In the past the more expensive competitive draft (best of 3) has been available right away and the quick draft (best of 1) comes like two weeks later.

There also should have sealed up next week and if they give out free events at the physical pre releases like they did for Guilds then there should be some extra codes floating around in the thread.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the past the more expensive competitive draft (best of 3) has been available right away and the quick draft (best of 1) comes like two weeks later.

There also should have sealed up next week and if they give out free events at the physical pre releases like they did for Guilds then there should be some extra codes floating around in the thread.
Alright, thanks :)

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wonder if they will now bring the new set asap to BO1 draft since it's the ranked mode and it would be really silly if they still delay it.