• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I have been excited that I'll get new cards before even the store people. However, if they lock it behind the really expensive best-of-3 draft, I think that would be a buzzkill.

I might still buy packs, but I'd almost feel less motivated to do that since limited format is what I love, along with collecting things, so I might just coast a few more weeks until I can play regular draft.

I really hope they start making the free packs and individual card rewards belong to the new set, though.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I have been excited that I'll get new cards before even the store people. However, if they lock it behind the really expensive best-of-3 draft, I think that would be a buzzkill.

I might still buy packs, but I'd almost feel less motivated to do that since limited format is what I love, along with collecting things, so I might just coast a few more weeks until I can play regular draft.

I really hope they start making the free packs and individual card rewards belong to the new set, though.
Sounded like they might only lock it for Bo3 for 2 weeks though, so eh. Wont hurt to wait a bit. My reward gold is ready.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Up to about 3000 gems saved for the new set's Sealed, and probably going to squeeze in at least one more Ixalan draft before then! Think it's looking like I'll get at least 2 sealed runs even without including the free one for prerelease (which I really hope they do again.) Plus I'm really, really close to another vault opening, which I think will bring me up to like 9 rare and 4 mythic wilds. And I have 9 unopened Guilds packs sitting around till I need them, because frankly I don't need any cards towards the new set, and it's probably over 90% that I get nothing but a tiny bit of vault progress out of those packs until the new 5th card solution launches. (AKA I'll pop them if the wildcard track progress gets me to a new deck, but otherwise eh. Don't need anything from that pack anymore, anyway.)

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
wait huh? Im a complete rookie to tcg/mtg and bought the starter pack on sunday
I would suggest watching LegenVD on youtube. He's really chill with a soothing voice and makes it really easy for people to learn new strategies and habits.
Theres a guy on twitch that is super welcoming to beginners, he encourages asking questions and willing to explain just about anything. Ill get his name when i get home. edit: nomakk

Last edited:

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
January schedule is up, they really delay the ranked draft mode while bringing the new format to the unranked pay only mode, unbelievable. They continue to make the worst decisions.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Do they sell packs for Ravnica Allegiance on the 17th or do you still have to wait for proper release for that?

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Greetings folks.

I got this a couple of weeks ago and am pretty hooked. I've been focusing on getting the most recent set as I believe the previous sets rotate out at the end of the year. Does that mean that you just loose all the cards from those sets? Are we likely to be compensated in any way for that?

I'd also appreciate some deck advice if possible please. The only deck I've currently made that wins with any consistency is a Blue/Black control-ish deck that uses a lot of creatures with enter the battlefield removal effects:

Exclusion Mage
Plaguecrafter
Ravenous Chupacabra
Hostage Taker

Plus some general removal/counter spells:

Dead Weight
Murder
Sinister Sabotage
Unexplained Disappearance

Then chunky fliers for finishers:

Nightveil Predator
Doom Whisperer
Dream Eater

What I'm currently unsure about is what cheap creatures to use, if any. I've used Burglar Rats, and Kitesail Freebooter so far, as they are also ETB removal of a sort. Are there any better alternatives to use with this kind of deck? Any general advice on how to improve the deck?

Sorry it's not a proper deck list, I don't remember exactly how many copies of each of these I have.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Greetings folks.

I got this a couple of weeks ago and am pretty hooked. I've been focusing on getting the most recent set as I believe the previous sets rotate out at the end of the year. Does that mean that you just loose all the cards from those sets? Are we likely to be compensated in any way for that?

I'd also appreciate some deck advice if possible please. The only deck I've currently made that wins with any consistency is a Blue/Black control-ish deck that uses a lot of creatures with enter the battlefield removal effects:

Exclusion Mage
Plaguecrafter
Ravenous Chupacabra
Hostage Taker

Plus some general removal/counter spells:

Dead Weight
Murder
Sinister Sabotage
Unexplained Disappearance

Then chunky fliers for finishers:

Nightveil Predator
Doom Whisperer
Dream Eater

What I'm currently unsure about is what cheap creatures to use, if any. I've used Burglar Rats, and Kitesail Freebooter so far, as they are also ETB removal of a sort. Are there any better alternatives to use with this kind of deck? Any general advice on how to improve the deck?

Sorry it's not a proper deck list, I don't remember exactly how many copies of each of these I have.
I'm terrible so I can't help with the deck list but as far as rotation goes. They have already announced I believe that there will be an Arena Modern format so you can still play with all of the cards in that format when they rotate out of Standard later in the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I'm sad to hear the new expansion will be paid-only for a while since I was looking foward to it.

AND I checked reddit this morning and saw a new automatic draft tool was released, which means everyone's basically going to be running that to make their drafts better, and an algorithm to help you deckbuild presumably isn't far behind. I know some of the information is already available if you google, but at least that takes work which means a significant number of people won't do it. I hated the tools people were allowed to use in Hearthstone (e.g. basically a cheat app to remember which hand card was which, plus a tool to help you automatically draft a strong deck) and I'm not looking forward to it here.

And yes I know one could just say "well if you're as good as a computer with the collected average data of the internet then it won't matter," but again the thing is that most people aren't like that, and this both makes it super easy and removes the human element even further.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I'm sad to hear the new expansion will be paid-only for a while since I was looking foward to it.

AND I checked reddit this morning and saw a new automatic draft tool was released, which means everyone's basically going to be running that to make their drafts better, and an algorithm to help you deckbuild presumably isn't far behind. I know some of the information is already available if you google, but at least that takes work which means a significant number of people won't do it. I hated the tools people were allowed to use in Hearthstone (e.g. basically a cheat app to remember which hand card was which, plus a tool to help you automatically draft a strong deck) and I'm not looking forward to it here.

And yes I know one could just say "well if you're as good as a computer with the collected average data of the internet then it won't matter," but again the thing is that most people aren't like that, and this both makes it super easy and removes the human element even further.
???

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It will be available for Bo3 draft which can only be entered with gems (paid currency though can obtain it via other events) and at a much higher price then Bo1. For Bo1 it will be available several weeks later.

Oct 25, 2017
It will be available for Bo3 draft which can only be entered with gems (paid currency though can obtain it via other events) and at a much higher price then Bo1. For Bo1 it will be available several weeks later.
Yep, that's what I meant. I could technically burn a ton of gold on packs, but limited is my true love so I'll just have to save gold longer.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay, I understand. I thought they were gonna be like "Pay 20 bucks to access the RNA set" and I was about to be a real sad dude.

Sep 14, 2018

Don't assume you need cheap creatures, you definitely need cheap removal though if this is supposed to be more midrangey/control.

Try cutting Dead Weight, Murder, Disapperance, Add Cast Down, Moment of Craving, Fungal Infection, Blink of an Eye.

If you have any specific questions of what exactly is giving you trouble I can help a little more.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Don't assume you need cheap creatures, you definitely need cheap removal though if this is supposed to be more midrangey/control.

Try cutting Dead Weight, Murder, Disapperance, Add Cast Down, Moment of Craving, Fungal Infection, Blink of an Eye.

If you have any specific questions of what exactly is giving you trouble I can help a little more.

Thanks. I have a few copies of fungal infection, and that seems a decent fit as it makes a creature and potentials kills one. Sadly I'm missing the other decent removal spells, 4x Cast Down would improve so many of my decks!

I did have an opponent concede in response to 3 Burglar rats in a row last night, but I'm not sure if I'd just be better off with more removal.

The deck's not meant to be any style in particular, just whatever works. I wanted creatures that effect the board right away after being frustrated by control decks. Doom Whisperer often just eats removal, but has also won me games, so I'm not sure about him.

One problem I've found is that I can run out of steam late game so I may need card drawing. I'm never sure of the value of draw spells vs. having more spells I actually want.

I also have a problem with decks that can flood the board with tokens, the only answer in my collection seems to be Mephitic Vapors, but I'm not sure how many copies it's safe to include as it's useless in a lot of match ups.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Joshbob1985 That sort of untargeted discard is not very useful unless it does more like Disinformation Campaign. Maybe you're looking for something like Kitesail Freebooter if you want to be disruptive. Since you're running blue and control is giving you trouble you could just run your own countermagic, that would let you back up your Doom Whisperers.

As far as card draw goes I personally value it a lot. There's Notion Rain, Chemister's Insight, and Disinformation Campaign try them out and see which one you like. The deck you're describing doesn't sound very fast so you should be running some sort of value/card advantage engines, and that color pair of blue and black has a lot of that so it should be no problem.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks again. I will give notion rain and/or disinformation campaign a try as I have both in abundance from repeatedly drafting surveil decks. I am running 3 Kitesail Freebooters and they seem hit or miss- Exiling the only removal in an opponents hand is great, but if it's a control deck they can often have more, and get it back right away. Seeing their whole hand on turn 2 has helped me win games though.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Won all my draft games yesterday :D Feels good to get 2 packs and a shitton of gems, especially since It's my first draft since 2008 !

I'm waiting for RNA to drop to start doing some constructed stuff, but I'm still watching some videos on Youtube to get an idea for the current meta. Are there some Youtubers other than LegenVD you'd recommend?
Thanks !

Feb 16, 2018
they say the paid constructed events don't look at what you're deck you're playing when doing matchmaking, but i have doubts

AND I checked reddit this morning and saw a new automatic draft tool was released, which means everyone's basically going to be running that to make their drafts better, and an algorithm to help you deckbuild presumably isn't far behind.

those things don't do much for mtg. they work in some other games without deckbuilding and signals, but they're going to fail pretty miserably even for the shitty bot drafts we have now

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Won all my draft games yesterday :D Feels good to get 2 packs and a shitton of gems, especially since It's my first draft since 2008 !

I'm waiting for RNA to drop to start doing some constructed stuff, but I'm still watching some videos on Youtube to get an idea for the current meta. Are there some Youtubers other than LegenVD you'd recommend?
Thanks !
Not sure if you're looking for on meta stuff but watch Arena Boys on channel fireball. It's incredible. MTGGoldfish is also a good follow, anything that SaffronOlive or AsianAvenger does on that channel is gold.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks !

I really like professor nox I think his youtube is just Noxious, Merchant is alright as well. Savjz and GabySpartz are pretty good fun on twitch if you ever watch that.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
oh I mean like, what's the difference between sealed and traditional?
Sealed is you get 6 packs and play with what you open. Draft is you get 3 packs (along with 7 bots) and pick one card from each pack then pass them around, so you actually get to build a deck.

Traditional is best-of-3 with sideboarding where as "Arena" modes are single game matches.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great thing. You get to play the best format in the game (mostly) the proper way.
I would rather get a sealed event, because sealed is one of my favorite modes. I very slowly save my gems for this purpose, and I like how you get so many cards.

With draft I find myself gravitating towards cards that seem more likely to win drafts, which means my collection doesn't build as evenly as with sealed.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would rather get a sealed event, because sealed is one of my favorite modes. I very slowly save my gems for this purpose, and I like how you get so many cards.

With draft I find myself gravitating towards cards that seem more likely to win drafts, which means my collection doesn't build as evenly as with sealed.
Everyone's entitled to their wrong opinion.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's entitled to their wrong opinion.
Tbf, sealed is the better event for people who need or want to have a bigger collection of cards. As Blizzard said, in Draft you'll go directly to the best cards for draft, mostly in 2 colors, while in sealed you have 6 complete packs of cards that you're keeping.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will these be unique codes, or will I be able to easily find them online somewhere? I don't play with paper.
A lot of people are doing several pre-release events, since you're only able to use one code per account there should be some codes available online.
Also, not everyone playing on paper is playing Arena, so that's even more codes that people will give away. You might wanna check Reddit next week.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
A new code had gone up but I checked and it isn't working yet. Need to wait til AFTER Arena updates for it to work I guess.
PlayAllegiance

EDIT:
Wait what is the point of this card?
Image.ashx

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea what Limited means lol. Is that when certain cards can and cannot be used?
na, limited formats are those played with sealed products as opposed to constructed
in MTGA, that means sealed deck and booster draft
commons represent the majority of cards players encounter in limited, so anything that looks bad is probably designed for that

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Limited needs a certain amount of removal to work properly, and by tweaking the power of removal, they change how the environment feels. Impale points towards an attempt of a slower environment.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's a draft, not a sealed for doing the prerelease this time around? Aww, lame, and also just like, factually cheaping out on the value, since a draft is just plain less packs you get in general. :(