• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's a draft, not a sealed for doing the prerelease this time around? Aww, lame, and also just like, factually cheaping out on the value, since a draft is just plain less packs you get in general. :(
Yep, unfortunately. Maybe they got an edict to not give out too many free cards.

As it stands, sealed is the cool mode I like but play once a month. :P

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Bummer about it not being sealed this time, was thinking of doing a physical pre release event just for the fun of it with the added bonus of a free draft. Oh well it's still something extra which is nice.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could I get some help here?
I got stomped in my first match. Any way to make this better?
HVmP3FX.jpg

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty normal to get stomped time by time, even regardless of your deck quality, but anyway:

Why cut Rosemane Centaur? Really strong card, especially compared to Ledev Guardian and the Loxodon.
I also really like the effect of Sumala Woodshaper for topdeck wars (drawing and discarding lands), but still haven't figured out if she is too much of a tempo loss otherwise.
Sprouting Renewal is generally better than Crush Contraband imo, but maybe is still better to run the latter for the small chance of using both effects (almost a game winning move undoubtedly).
And I'd play the reach spider, since you don't have many ways to interact with flying creatures otherwise.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is this best of 1 or best of 3?

Assuming best of 1:

Remove:
  • Crush Contraband
  • Pause for Reflection
  • Candlelight Vigil
  • 2x Ledev Guardian

Add:
  • Rosemane Centaur
  • Kraul Foragers
  • Hitchclaw Recluse
  • 2x Wary Okapi

If it's best of 3 you don't need the Collar the Culprit in the main deck since it's a dead/bad card in a good number of match ups. You can replace it with Vigorspore Wurm or Worldsoul Colossus.

The issue is that you don't really have any removal or finishers. Selesnya is also generally considered the worst guild in draft because there's so many deathtouchers and the removal is so good that its big creatures get roadblocked easily.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty normal to get stomped time by time, even regardless of your deck quality, but anyway:

Why cut Rosemane Centaur? Really strong card, especially compared to Ledev Guardian and the Loxodon.
I also really like the effect of Sumala Woodshaper for topdeck wars (drawing and discarding lands), but still haven't figured out if she is too much of a tempo loss otherwise.
Sprouting Renewal is generally better than Crush Contraband imo, but maybe is still better to run the latter for the small chance of using both effects (almost a game winning move undoubtedly).
And I'd play the reach spider, since you don't have many ways to interact with flying creatures otherwise.
What should I cut for the centaur and the spider? And for Sumala ?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got 50k gold saved up, sad to hear you can't draft immediately...
I would rather get a sealed event, because sealed is one of my favorite modes. I very slowly save my gems for this purpose, and I like how you get so many cards.

With draft I find myself gravitating towards cards that seem more likely to win drafts, which means my collection doesn't build as evenly as with sealed.
I just don't like the 6 packs you get are 15 cards strong but you still only get 1 rare and 3 uncommons in each of them. Meaning 2 drafts give you more than one sealed, and sealed just costs a shitton of gems.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've got 50k gold saved up, sad to hear you can't draft immediately...

I just don't like the 6 packs you get are 15 cards strong but you still only get 1 rare and 3 uncommons in each of them. Meaning 2 drafts give you more than one sealed, and sealed just costs a shitton of gems.
In sealed you're guaranteed 3 prize packs, so if you're just looking to add to your collection and don't expect to do well it is better than draft. But from a gameplay perspective draft is far superior since you have a lot more control over what you play (it's also best of 3 which cuts down on the effects variance).

Oct 25, 2017
The bear brings up a good point I forgot. Sealed means 3 wildcard progress packs and since I always lose games I appreciate those packs!

I just need cards for my digital binders, man.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In sealed you're guaranteed 3 prize packs, so if you're just looking to add to your collection and don't expect to do well it is better than draft. But from a gameplay perspective draft is far superior since you have a lot more control over what you play (it's also best of 3 which cuts down on the effects variance).
Is draft best of 3 though? I always played bo1 draft... Bo3 only lets you lose 2 times before you're done and you need to win like 3 games before you're done.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, what about this one ?

Ixalan Draft BO1. Got some control in this and some unblockable creatures.
Raider's wake as a secondary winning condition might win me one or two matches aswell, coupled with the unblockables.

XJwnlKj.jpg

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
15 lands is pretty low. I'd cut:
  • 1x Sworn Guardian
  • Costly Plunder
  • Release to the Wind
  • Raiders' Wake
  • Pitiless Plunderer
  • 1x Fathom Fleet Cutthroat

and add:
  • Sailor of Means
  • Hornswoggle
  • Recover
  • Wind Strider
  • 2x Swamp

Sea Legs, Recover and March of the Drowned are all better than Dark Inquiry, but Tetzimoc is enough of a pain that it's worth running, especially in best of 1.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
15 lands is pretty low. I'd cut:
  • 1x Sworn Guardian
  • Costly Plunder
  • Release to the Wind
  • Raiders' Wake
  • Pitiless Plunderer
  • 1x Fathom Fleet Cutthroat

and add:
  • Sailor of Means
  • Hornswoggle
  • Recover
  • Wind Strider
  • 2x Swamp

Sea Legs, Recover and March of the Drowned are all better than Dark Inquiry, but Tetzimoc is enough of a pain that it's worth running, especially in best of 1.
Well I lost miserably... worst possible hands all day long !

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
pieguy396-wildgrowth-15075535250.jpg

Why does this card exist? For 2 mana it recovering 3 life points per explore is total bullshit on top of it getting +1/+1.
Not only that but it's base states are 1/3.
This is some bullshit....

Feb 16, 2018

Why does this card exist? For 2 mana it recovering 3 life points per explore is total bullshit on top of it getting +1/+1.

it's a draft build-around that ended up in constructed because the card pool is extremely shallow. you'll see less of these as more expansions enter standard

but it's not that hard to kill, and it doesn't really ruin your draws to answer it. if you draw too much removal you can just use it on their other mediocre creatures

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
it's a draft build-around that ended up in constructed because the card pool is extremely shallow. you'll see less of these as more expansions enter standard

but it's not that hard to kill, and it doesn't really ruin your draws to answer it. if you draw too much removal you can just use it on their other mediocre creatures
The heart of the cards doesn't believe in me enough for that to happen =_=

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Walker is plenty fine to deal with most of the time in constructed. Though I totally get that it's obnoxious when your removal is coming from red damage, and you don't have the immediate answer to it, only for them to follow it up with the Jadelight Ranger drop turn three. Just one of those cards where depending on your deck, you have to definitely keep on top of it or it'll become a REAL problem. But the same is true of stuff like Goblin Electromancer I guess, so whatever. Certainly wouldn't call it unfair or overpowered at all.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played a few rounds of this. I love how fast the animations are compared to something like Hearthstone. Games feel quick and that's exactly what I want in a card game.

The only thing I'm timid on is if I have an instant in my hand, because it means I have to pay extra attention not to pass up my turn. I'm sure i'll get used to it quickly though.

As someone who is just starting in 2019, which boosters should I be buying? Core 2019?

Last edited:

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do not get Core 19 but in the end it almost doesn't matter as the "value" mostly comes from the wild cards. Probably best to get one of the Ravnica sets (new one is coming in 1 week or so to Arena) to get the maximum time to rotation for all the draft chaff you will open...

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
I played a few rounds of this. I love how fast the animations are compared to something like Hearthstone. Games feel quick and that's exactly what I want in a card game.

The only thing I'm timid on is if I have an instant in my hand, because it means I have to pay extra attention not to pass up my turn. I'm sure i'll get used to it quickly though.

As someone who is just starting in 2019, which boosters should I be buying? Core 2019?

I started a couple of weeks ago and have been collecting the Guilds of Ravnica set because the other ones rotate out at the end of 2019. GoR rotates out at the end of 2020. This apparently means that you won't be able to use the sets that have rotated out unless you're playing a special mode for out of date cards.

There is a new set coming out in a week or so that you could save up for instead. Whatever you go for it's best to focus on one set so that you can have multiple copies of the same cards.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, what happens if you have a complete set x4 and open a booster of this set? Do you only get wildcards ?

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's popular because Red decks basically can't kill it or you after Jadelight Ranger

Sep 14, 2018
Meaning what exactly ?

The vault is a mechanic from closed beta that filled up relatively quickly by opening packs and it gave wildcards as a reward.
It was replaced by the wildcard counters you see on the top right of the pack opening screen.
Since it's not supposed to be part of the system anymore, the progress percentage was hidden (and slowed way down), I remember them saying it wasn't just removed completely for programming reasons? or something.

Also what's the best way to get quick wildcards without spending money ?

There isn't one, by design.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The vault is a mechanic from closed beta that filled up relatively quickly by opening packs and it gave wildcards as a reward.
It was replaced by the wildcard counters you see on the top right of the pack opening screen.
Since it's not supposed to be part of the system anymore, the progress percentage was hidden (and slowed way down), I remember them saying it wasn't just removed completely for programming reasons? or something.

There isn't one, by design.
Guess I'll just have to play a bit more to get the cards I want then :)

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
They said, they are going to "solve" the 5th card problem in Q1 2019 so I have just been saving up all my gold and packs until then.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017

No clue. The healing is definitely way over the top.

I think low cost snowballers are not healthy design. Have removal in opening hand or better luck next time.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wildgrowth Walker is the personal bogeyman of my mono-red goblin nonsense deck, but I'm not too bothered given the number of good matchups I have (mill in particular). If I don't have removal in hand I just have to hope they let me build up my board enough for Volley Veteran to work.

Given how prevalent the more meta mono-red decks are it's no surprise that a tough early counter like this shoots up the popularity ratings.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California

Pretty great changes, more gems for drafting & more new cards for collecting. edit: oh even the draft copies alter over, this seems just generous all over? Only the chance to randomly upgrade a card in rarity from event rewards seems to be getting nerfed.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Pretty great changes, more gems for drafting & more new cards for collecting. edit: oh even the draft copies alter over, this seems just generous all over? Only the chance to randomly upgrade a card in rarity from event rewards seems to be getting nerfed.

Cool new unique animation for Chainwhirler. It's a small thing but I like them adding a little bit more visual pizzazz to non-mythic cards.

Oct 25, 2017

Limited using Rank for MMR seems like a really bad idea? Part of the appeal of Limited is that literally only that match matters. This system punishes players based on successes on previous events, which wasn't in a basic Limited pod and is essentially the exact opposite about how earning bye-rounds worked.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Doing some quick, rough math on the changes:
200 packs under the new system gets you to 95% of the rares in a set and about 52% if the mythic rares (this includes using the wild cards you earn).
210 packs gets you the full playset of rares.

If you complete your first 4 win rewards and daily quests each day (which also earns you your weekly rewards) you should get about 135 packs per set without putting in any money. That gets you about 65% of the rares and and 33% of the mythics in a set.

This is assuming all 500g quests and no 750g quests, so it's conservative. It's also assuming you don't do any events and just spend all your gold on packs directly.
This also assumes that all 4 sets released during the year are equidistant from each other, which isn't actually the case.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Constructed event rewards got hit decently hard with this update, but overall EVERYTHING else seems quite good.
Excited to drop a bit of money and enjoy the jank fest in the first few days of the new set.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
The Constructed event rewards got hit decently hard with this update, but overall EVERYTHING else seems quite good.
Excited to drop a bit of money and enjoy the jank fest in the first few days of the new set.
If the ICRs are still in and the no dupes rules apply, it's actually a huge boost there for me. Been largely getting 5th copied off that for a while now... (It's been my general go-to grind for the day, and I've built up a pretty sizable collection as a result.)

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If the ICRs are still in and the no dupes rules apply, it's actually a huge boost there for me. Been largely getting 5th copied off that for a while now... (It's been my general go-to grind for the day, and I've built up a pretty sizable collection as a result.)
ICRs don't hav ethe dupe protection, but if you get a 5th copy you'll get gems instead (or vault progress for uncommons).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix the 5th card problem? and which is the solution?

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think they handled all of this well. The constructed event was very generous with its upgrades.