• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
red players are finding new and innovative ways to win, like splashing black for even more bolt effects

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
red players are finding new and innovative ways to win, like splashing black for even more bolt effects

Red players just have way too many tools to help them burn an opponent down.

Shock
Lightning bolt
Wizards lightning
Skewer
That 2 cost 2 damage mage

And all those, at most, will cost 3 mana. Get in card draw with light up the stage or risk factor and they can just win at an unprecedented pace.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
my two most hated things at the moment are opposite ends of the spectrum: monored burn to the face, and stupid Nexus decks with literally no win condition other than making you concede

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I could (almost) stand how broken Wilderness Reclamation is if it didn't take these morons 2 minutes to float their mana every turn. Manual tapping being as clunky as it is in MTGA doesn't help of course.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
my two most hated things at the moment are opposite ends of the spectrum: monored burn to the face, and stupid Nexus decks with literally no win condition other than making you concede
I am literally building every single deck with a counter measure against Nexus atm.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Went 7-2 in my first draft!

First pick was Patient Rebuilding, which I got simply because it looked super-cool and fun to build around, 2nd pick was Skyrider Patrol. I just picked all the green and blue cards and somehow got passed a 5th pick Tezzeret! So the plan became to stall the ground until those 3 cards could win the game for me.

2nd Pack gave me all sorts of good white cards like Leonin Warleader, Mentor of the Meek, Valiant Knight, which was nice but gave me a headache trying to figure out how to build my deck. I had bombs in UW, but green had solid cards like Giant Spiders

I settled on UW splashing Green for the Skyrider Patrol. Won 2 games with things going well, then lost the next 2 thanks to mana / colour screw. Decided that 3 bombs is more than enough with a Recollect and swapped to GU for more consistency and won the next 5 games, even managed to deck someone with Patient Rebuilding

Oct 25, 2017
Protip for people playing sealed mode: If you put more than 1 color in your deck, make sure you actually include more than 1 color of lands.

I might have forgotten to do that. ;_;

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure anything else I do today will be as satisfying as playing a super jank deck in casual, getting matched against pure petitioner mill, and pulling Rakdos, The Showstopper from my graveyard onto the battlefield to wipe their entire board and cause an immediate concede.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I almost got milled in the Core 2019 draft last night. We had a stalled ground board state and he put down the enchantment that mills 2 cards every time they draw a card. Luckily I was able to Tezzeret out a Skyrider patrol and slowly build up some fliers. They played 3 Dwarven priests throughout the game and probably gained 20-30 life. I won on my last turn. I would've been pissed if I lost, but I guess I gotta respect the wincon.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Urgh... I didn't want to, but I might make a mono red deck just for those gold grinds.
Anyone got a list for the famous mono blue?

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Had an idea on the weekend for merging some of the best qualities of Bo1 and Bo3. In competitive Bo1 modes, before the game even starts, you could be shown a flop of 5 random unique non-land cards in the opponent's maindeck. Then you get to sideboard for 1 minute before the game starts. Otherwise proceed as normal.

Could help reduce the incentives to play hyper-linear decks and make sure both sides are always playing the best version of their matchup.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Had an idea on the weekend for merging some of the best qualities of Bo1 and Bo3. In competitive Bo1 modes, before the game even starts, you could be shown a flop of 5 random unique non-land cards in the opponent's maindeck. Then you get to sideboard for 1 minute before the game starts. Otherwise proceed as normal.

Could help reduce the incentives to play hyper-linear decks and make sure both sides are always playing the best version of their matchup.
Yup. Or even see their colors. But I don't think anything is going to happen and I'll just move mostly to bo3 once it hits ranked.

Bo1 actually offers a pretty interesting deckbuilding challenge when you're supposed to be ready for anything and everything, but archetypes like mono red are just far too fast for it to meaningfully work out like that. It's too reliant on starting hand and first few draws when the match is over on turn 4 otherwise.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I think any game with a ladder and/or daily quests will always favor a quick Bo1 for any random unstructured play. A lot of the player base is just gonna be looking for quick games, win or lose. I just don't think they want to spend the time to sideboard. My armchair-psychologist take is that it's more satisfying for most to quickly get past the crushing defeats and enjoy the quick romps, rather then spending 1minute optimizing your deck and still lose.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'd rather get crushed quickly than get crushed over 35 minutes, especially if I only have MAYBE 1 hour to devote to Magic per day. If I play a 20+ minute game deck, I'm probably not getting 5 wins a day in that time.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best of one results in me conceding preposterously fast when things become even somewhat disadvantageous. Like, keep a 2 lander and don't have a 3rd land by turn 4 and the opponent is doing something? Smash that concede button! Slightly slow hand vs 1 drop - 2 drop from mono-red? OUT OF THERE. Nothing in hand/board and they have more than 2 cards? Bye! This is of course at least partly caused by having no aspirations towards a ladder rank.

At least in Best of 3 I have reason to stick it out in game I probably won't win, just to make sure I know what they're up to and how to sideboard and stuff. And the fact that I will play this person for at least one more game means I don't wanna go "well, annoyed by your deck BYE".

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily the Magic player base is large enough to support multiple ways to play. The best Wizards can hope for is to steer people towards Bo3 by ensuring/showing people that it's not that scary. For example, each win of Bo3 counts towards the weekly/daily win count.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily the Magic player base is large enough to support multiple ways to play. The best Wizards can hope for is to steer people towards Bo3 by ensuring/showing people that it's not that scary. For example, each win of Bo3 counts towards the weekly/daily win count.
Yeah I won't touch BO3 while only having about an hour every second day to grind the dailies.
Your idea is actually great, I'd definitely be up for it if each individual win counted for the dailies.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I completely misread your post!
What about the 15 wins/week where you can get 3 booster packs ? Do you need to win a bo3 for 1 victory in there ?

I honestly haven't noticed myself, as I don't do a ton of Bo3 (only the Trad Draft this set), but https://www.toiletdrake.com/arena-guides/quests-rewards-and-the-vault-guide/

The wins are based on games, not matches. So if you win a best of 3 match, it will count as two wins.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, Hydroid Krasis fucking EXPLODED to 40+ bucks. I didn't even see it putting in that much over the weekend. It's good, but not 40+ good imo. But I guess this set needs some kind of chase mythic, and Vannifar ain't it, atleast not yet lol.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly bo3 differs from bo1 timewise other than being able to Nope out of a bo1 game much easier when it's not going your way. bo3 is just...playing 2-3 games of magic instead of one. Unless you were only going to play one game and log off, I don't know how bo1 is better timewise. You also get a sideboard!

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, Hydroid Krasis fucking EXPLODED to 40+ bucks. I didn't even see it putting in that much over the weekend. It's good, but not 40+ good imo. But I guess this set needs some kind of chase mythic, and Vannifar ain't it, atleast not yet lol.
I think it's an insane card. The fact that the draw+heal can't even be countered is massive. Simic has just felt super underwhelming for me outside of Krasis, crab man and ooze. So many cards that are basically "Under-statted Minion - Adapt for a billion mana to become slightly over-statted". Maybe I'm still missing some obvious picks in my collection.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been doing really well in sealed RNA pools. getting max wins in most. I don't know if that speaks to the level of play on Arena, I haven't played in a few years, so I doubt it's me.

M

I did not know this. Very cool

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My last Sealed pool for RNA included Judith, Rakdos The Showstopper, ethereal absolution, and a bunch of aristocrats style creatures. Going well. The mana screwed me only once so far.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's an insane card. The fact that the draw+heal can't even be countered is massive. Simic has just felt super underwhelming for me outside of Krasis, crab man and ooze. So many cards that are basically "Under-statted Minion - Adapt for a billion mana to become slightly over-statted". Maybe I'm still missing some obvious picks in my collection.

Crab man has won me so many games off of him alone it's insane. swinging for 4 on turn 3 is some rdw level bullshit for standard, and you can grab his buddies from your deck giving you card advantage, he's insane. If he's in my opening hand against most control decks and I play first it's gonna be a pretty quick victory.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing gets me like the classic "Your go" when I'm genuinely thinking about the play to make when the board is full of minions and I have like half a dozen different lines I could take. Fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing gets me like the classic "Your go" when I'm genuinely thinking about the play to make when the board is full of minions and I have like half a dozen different lines I could take. Fuck off.
This happens to me so rarely I can barely remember it. What happens almost all the time is when someone has 0 or 1 card, there's maybe 2 minions on the board with no abilities, and no choice to be made.

And then I get roped or have to wait 45 seconds.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Also, I'm not sure how exactly bo3 differs from bo1 timewise other than being able to Nope out of a bo1 game much easier when it's not going your way. bo3 is just...playing 2-3 games of magic instead of one. Unless you were only going to play one game and log off, I don't know how bo1 is better timewise. You also get a sideboard!
Damnnn, I didn't know it was that much. RIP, would've been great in my Simic Ascendency deck

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a jank teferi deck

I feel dirty

2 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Seal Away (DAR) 31
1 Fountain of Renewal (M19) 235
2 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
2 Island (RIX) 193
2 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
3 Disinformation Campaign (GRN) 167
3 Whisper Agent (GRN) 220
3 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Revitalize (M19) 35

Last edited:

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
50.000 gold prepared for the Allegiance draft. Ready to go!

Curious to see how much that will fill up my Allegiance collection.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Followed up my nice 7-1 sealed with a 0-3. Sometimes Magic happens and you don't get to draw land.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
I've been absolutely hooked to magic the past 3 weeks and am having a blast! I've just reached diamond in ranked and am proud of myself :'D

Now to face nexus of fate every game :'D

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't get over how good growth chamber guardian is. He wasn't even on my rader during spoilers but now it's one of my favorite cards in the set.

I've played about 5 or 6 new decks and I think I've settled on Sultai midrange for my deck for bo3 next season. And not just golgari midrange with Krasis thrown in. It's been most consistent for me and has the most adaptive sideboard, and just lot's of fun cards in general.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to card games, I've always been scared off by the idea of desk building. Will I get over that or is deck building just not for some people?

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to card games, I've always been scared off by the idea of desk building. Will I get over that or is deck building just not for some people?
you don't have to build them from scratch, you'll probably find some cards/archetypes to be enjoyable and you can netdeck something to build off of

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Create a deck based one 2 or 3 main cards, then build the rest around it to support your win condition.
Play some games with it, learn what works and what doesn't, change and adapt, play some games with it, change and adapt according to the current meta, play some games, create a sideboard to counter your weak matchups.

I love MTG more than Pokemon or YGO since I think that MTG has way more possibilities in deckbuilding. Even jank decks can have good win rates, depending on how you play them.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I made a janky teferi deck that kinda works(?) so you can always experiment. Make something new! All my good decks are archetypes but with my own spins to them.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone. The more the I play and open packs the more I start to connect the dots I think. Some of the decks i've played against have the craziest combos though.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
A good way to get started with deck building is to "upgrade" one of the preconstructed decks. Play with it and see which cards you think you need to get more consistently and then get a full set of them; see which ones aren't working all that well and remove them; look for cards that have strictly better versions, do the same effects cheaper or have more upside, and replace those.

Bit by bit you'll get a feeling for what works and what doesn't. Don't worry about crazy combos or insane synergy, those will make themselves clear to you once you get used to it.

EDIT: And oh, don't be ashamed of just copying shit. Lift stuff from netdecks. Saw someone running a cool card combo? Make a deck around it. Copy wide and fierce.

Last edited:

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deck building is why I play mtg. Everyones saving their gold for drafts, I blow my load right away on packs to start brewing up decks to play. Arena is great for scratching that itch.

Not seen: another 2 rows of decks....

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest advice for someone new to playing competitive-ish constructed is to start by netdecking before you get really deep into spending a lot of money/wildcards on brewing your own stuff. Just check a recent Top 8, grab a deck that seems fun, and build an approximation of it with what you available (maybe with guildgates replacing rare lands or etc.) Getting a sense of "this is what a competitive deck looks like and feels like to play" is super valuable.

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
If you are interested in deckbuilding, I find its also interesting to read up on some of the strategy articles on DailyMTG, the old series can be pretty neat (now they focus more on design issues)

Here's an old link to even older articles: Interesting magic articles

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Strangely enough I think the previous mtg game series 'duals of the planeswalkers 201X' were really good at easing people into figuring out deck alterations and optimizations. In most of those games you generally only had a bunch of preconstructed decks themed around planeswalkers and every couple wins with that character you would unlock some new cards for their deck up to about 20 new cards but you got to decide which cards to sub out for the new cards if any. The cards you unlock were also curated to either enhance the base deck strategy or sometimes to transform the whole deck's plan over time, like turning a blue mill deck into a blue tempo deck. It would kind of teach you first hand as you grinded wins against the ai opponents like ok this vanilla 2/2 for 2 is really not doing enough in this green ramp deck, I should replace it with either a bigger creature or another mana accelerator.

I'm sure those first couple like 2012 or 2013 are dirt cheap now, but then it's also tough to recommend anyone go grind an old mtg game when you could be getting tangible rewards grinding the current one.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Arena Mythic Invitational tournament coming March 28-31 at PAX East.

Eight players will be invited from the top ranking Mythic players on Arena.
The final 8 slots in the Mythic Invitational will be filled with the best of the best constructed players in MTG Arena during the Feb. 1-28 preseason. Here's how it's going to work.

During the month of February—play MTG Arena! That's a pretty easy step 1. If you aren't already playing MTG Arena, you can download the game for free here.

Next—win! Achieving Mythic ranking is difficult, and getting to the top 8 is an even greater accomplishment. One worthy of an invitation to a $1 million tournament. You can play and win in ranked constructed, which includes best-of-one and best-of-three play.

We'll be publishing official rankings of the top 100 weekly throughout the month of February and emailing players in the top 1000 once the season concludes. Note that your listed in-game ranking may not be accurately reflected in your displayed ranking, as the ranking system considers games played by other players that may not be visible moment-by-moment in what is displayed for any given player. All rankings will be final as of noon PT on Thursday, February 28.

Then, by Monday, March 4, we will email final, certified rankings to every player in the top 1,000. We'll also contact the top 8 directly for more information. The top 8 will receive hotel and airfare accommodations for themselves and a four-day PAX East badge for themselves and one guest. For more details including additional rules and eligibility click here.

I'm glad a decent chunk of the invitees appear to be women. The Pro League being all men is still a bad look, but I assume they'll recruit more using this tournament.