• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The format they've created for it, where you bring 2 decks and each person plays one randomly in the first game, then the other in the second game, then picking which one you want in the third, is pretty odd. It seems like you could get wrecked just by the random draw if things work out that you randomly get bad matchups in both games just by the flip of the coin for which deck each player gets.

In this article they call this "Arena Standard" so I wonder if that's gonna be another new constructed queue? https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/and-mtg-arena-2019-01-31

They also confirmed they will still have traditional best of 3 ranked, thank goodness.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of assuming "Duo Standard" and "Arena Standard" from the two articles are the same thing, but they do a poor job of messaging. The "And" article seems to be a pretty clear signal though that they have decided that MTGA should diverge pretty broadly - they even mention a separate ban list.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of assuming "Duo Standard" and "Arena Standard" from the two articles are the same thing, but they do a poor job of messaging. The "And" article seems to be a pretty clear signal though that they have decided that MTGA should diverge pretty broadly - they even mention a separate ban list.
Bye Nexus in Bo1.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the season was ending, finished on Platinum Rank 1. That's how far a Goblin deck can take you.

rita7uG.png

Also I'm hording all the monies for no good reason.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I don't know if it's the deck, bad luck, or what, but I went ahead and tried making the current mono red burn since I didn't really need anything but Light up the Stage, and quite frankly... the list on MTGGoldfish just was losing terribly. I tried like 3 constructed events and all of them landed in "you just threw away a bit of gold" range, whereas normally my off-meta old angels and my drakes I haven't updated since rotation generally at least get me to the 4 wins, frequently to the 6-7. I dunno, part of it also seems to be that everyone's so focused on countering aggro right now that it's having a harder time than it may otherwise.

Also, I guess just desserts for playing this deck that seems to be the scourge of standard at the moment, but I had the most frustrating loss amongst those: Had a 1 land hand which I dared to keep because it looked like the deck could actually run with it, naturally got in that situation where the first few turns I don't draw a land... and on turn 4, the dude nukes my singular land. Turns out it was a land destruction deck, and so I spent the whole game between 0-1 lands. That has to be like the only situation where that deck could beat mono red aggro, haha.

But yeah, thinking if I touch mono-red again anytime soon, it won't be that list. Though I'm also thinking I may be done with Constructed Event anyway, as not sure the slow, minor jewel grind it is for me now is worth it.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
That Duo Standard sounds really bad. If they wanted to eliminate sideboarding, they could at least have done exactly the way HS does it. 3 decks, winner keeps their deck. 2 decks, that could be identical, and you don't get to continue with that deck? Seems so odd. Taking the worst parts of both games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see your goblin list if you don't mind. I haven't updated mine for RNA and I'm more of a netdecker than a brewer.

I haven't really added any new cards as nothing has convinced me, right now my current Goblin deck is:

4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
22 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Skirk Prospector (DAR) 144
4 Goblin Warchief (DAR) 130
4 Rigging Runner (XLN) 157
4 Goblin Trashmaster (M19) 144
4 Goblin Chainwhirler (DAR) 129
4 Volley Veteran (M19) 168
4 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143
2 Vanquisher's Banner (XLN) 251
4 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109

Of the new cards, I'm interested in checking out Spear Spewer and Goblin Gathering.

Sep 14, 2018
New format is arena only so aimed at streamers and viewers supposedly, I wonder how much people will be interested in watching it, magic isn't very popular as is maybe this gets people watching?

I went from wanting to keep up with the scene to completely uninterested but that's just me.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
7 hours till the Allegiance binge drafting!

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
i really want to blow my wildcards and make a real deck

Yeah, same. I have some budget decks made (and a red burn), but I keep look at these 3 color midrange decks (which is my favorite archtype) that have 12-16 rare lands and basically every creature is rare/mythic, and I want it.

New format is arena only so aimed at streamers and viewers supposedly, I wonder how much people will be interested in watching it, magic isn't very popular as is maybe this gets people watching?

I went from wanting to keep up with the scene to completely uninterested but that's just me.

Magic has been doing consistently well on Twitch since Arena (especially since RA released). Usually neck and neck with HS when Kripp isn't streaming. Like I said above, I'm surprised they didn't go the Hearthstone tournament rules. It's clearly popular and at least allows some sort of strategy between games.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, same. I have some budget decks made (and a red burn), but I keep look at these 3 color midrange decks (which is my favorite archtype) that have 12-16 rare lands and basically every creature is rare/mythic, and I want it.

bruh same haha

im like damn im really about to blow all my rare wildcards on lands rn

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can feel pretty safe in investing after this weekend. Craft lands for the explore package maybe - sultai is looking pretty good!

First Arena Ravinca draft today, went Orzhov (I'm still in bronze haha). 3-0 so far, faced two mirrors (though they both splashed a third colour which I don't think is worth it unless they opened a better bomb than the High Alert I saw discarded). My deck is a bit durdly, but has the long game - yet to run into any super fast Gruul or Rakdos aggro luckily.

https://gyazo.com/5de141938fcfbd1ad303790d52b1ad66

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, why can't Arena just update through the same program you play it on? The darn MTGAlauncher thing stopped working for me like 5 updates back, too, so I have to redownload the game each time there's a small update. Pokemon can do it and that at least looks like it has a lot less money and backing behind it, so why can't you?!

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had MTGALauncher not work so I'm lucky there. I would have thought reinstalling MTGALauncher fixes it. Plus MTGALauncher launches the game itself if one really wants -- I forget if there's a reason to run it directly.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
i hope this game gets a play history or replay function. as a new player it sucks when an enchantment or another delivers fatal and i get booted to you lose screen without the opportunity to see what or how it happened.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I missed these long ass bo3 games against control decks. Yeah they can take forever, but I'm never salty after a loss, and actually throw out a sincere "good game" after a good match. I've also yet to see RDW after about 20 matches or so, so that helps.

Sideboarding in negate to counter that turn 2 Azcanta that would of completely put the game in their favor and is something you aren't gonna get in bo1!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Gate decks are showing up in drafts and doing well. How are they getting consistency here?

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Gate decks are showing up in drafts and doing well. How are they getting consistency here?
Supposedly the bots don't value the gate cards at all, which means you can force the deck as long as you get a colossus, angel, and/or the trample thing.

I say supposedly, because both my drafts today had only ONE gates synergy card ever show up that I saw -- Gates Ablaze.

I'm not counting the 1-green search for land card, though. I saw that at least once.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I got lucky or what, but High Alert seems busted for Bo1 draft. If they have no enchantment hate, your deck is just so efficient. I started 0-2 and felt dumb for drafting 2 High Alerts, but ended up winning 7 straight to close it out. I had so many cheap fliers with decent toughness, and enough scrying/draw to make it my win-con basically every game.

Also when is too early to commit to a color(s) and too late to abandon it? I went UW cause it was pretty open in pack 1 (and would be presumably in pack 3), but I passed over some GREAT Gruul cards in pack 2 that bummed me out. I guess I could've gone URG or something, but I'm never super happy going 3 colors in draft.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they do things like put 1 copy of Banefire in their deck as their only win condition.

Like what.

Oct 25, 2017
7-2 in my first Allegiance Arena draft with Orhov flier splashing blue for Bindings and a Chillbringer. Grasping Thrull is really, really good.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they do things like put 1 copy of Banefire in their deck as their only win condition.

Like what.

They probably have other conditions but they may tend to stall against control decks or the like so they add a banefire to finish off the opponent. If that were me, I'd probably put in more than one though.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure if I got lucky or what, but High Alert seems busted for Bo1 draft. If they have no enchantment hate, your deck is just so efficient. I started 0-2 and felt dumb for drafting 2 High Alerts, but ended up winning 7 straight to close it out. I had so many cheap fliers with decent toughness, and enough scrying/draw to make it my win-con basically every game.

Also when is too early to commit to a color(s) and too late to abandon it? I went UW cause it was pretty open in pack 1 (and would be presumably in pack 3), but I passed over some GREAT Gruul cards in pack 2 that bummed me out. I guess I could've gone URG or something, but I'm never super happy going 3 colors in draft.
Second pack is always somewhat of a gamble because the signs from the first pack don't really tell you what is open from your left. I would not switch colors in the second pack because your third pack is supposed to reflect more closely the first pack if you read the signs correctly.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll Gotten Inheritance is also super strong for draft. I drafted 3 of them, and right now I got two of them out, and well..having a potential 8 damage is super good(Along with the 2 damage every turn). Such a ticking time bomb for the opponent.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm glad metagame challenge is back, it's so much fun and kind of a wildcard printer. And there's so much variety, I couldn't say what I ran into the most after playing it all day, notably I didn't see any red or fog the villains of bo1, not exactly hard to know why knowing my deck and those I was facing.

I think it should be a permanent format, who cares about ladder when I can earn 10 plus packs and a ton of gold every run. Still haven't got to 7 wins but that's a nice challenge unlike grinding a ladder at least.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to sink more time into this but the lack of a friends list is killing me. Playing with/against friends is the fun of Magic for me.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm glad metagame challenge is back, it's so much fun and kind of a wildcard printer. And there's so much variety, I couldn't say what I ran into the most after playing it all day, notably I didn't see any red or fog the villains of bo1, not exactly hard to know why knowing my deck and those I was facing.

I think it should be a permanent format, who cares about ladder when I can earn 10 plus packs and a ton of gold every run. Still haven't got to 7 wins but that's a nice challenge unlike grinding a ladder at least.

what is metagame challenge?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game got me slightly interested in paper Magic, so I ended up buying the two newest Planeswalker decks. My rational is that they at least come with codes to get the decks on Arena.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
This game got me slightly interested in paper Magic, so I ended up buying the two newest Planeswalker decks. My rational is that they at least come with codes to get the decks on Arena.
That's how they get ya!! Arena has had the opposite effect for me. I love card games and the tactile actions of drawing, tapping, and holding cards, but it's hard to go back to paper Magic. The streamlined play is just so much better. Not fiddling with counters or tokens is so nice. I was afraid I would end up going deep into paper Magic too, but it's kinda killed that desire.

Oct 28, 2017
That's how they get ya!! Arena has had the opposite effect for me. I love card games and the tactile actions of drawing, tapping, and holding cards, but it's hard to go back to paper Magic. The streamlined play is just so much better. Not fiddling with counters or tokens is so nice. I was afraid I would end up going deep into paper Magic too, but it's kinda killed that desire.

Me as well. I'll still play Commander, but I'd definitely have a standard deck if not for Arena.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I still do prereleases with a friend, and this last one was my first since getting into Arena... and man, like, was playing a bit beforehand, and History of Benalia in particular just feels janky in paper compared to how it is online where it just happens.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i'm thinking of banking all my wildcards until April new set drops and building a fresh Tier 1 deck then

thoughts?

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Depends on if you want to play Constructed for the next 3 months or not. Chances are the top decks now will still be around only slightly modified so there isn't really any reason to wait as there is no rotation.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan. So, playing draft, and dude played Grotesque Demise on one of my creatures. I had Stony Strength in my hand, which would have taken it out of range. Would that have worked or no, since it was already targeted? I didn't take the risk, but want to know if I made a dumb move there.