• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

sideboard is a mass manipulation and essence scatter that you cant see. I gotta sieboard hard for certain aggro decks but it does pretty well. I should prob main deck a few cast downs but meh...

That Pelakka Wurm has saved me so many times...one of my favorite magic cards, It use to be uncommon!

No Llanowar Elves or Incubation Druids?

AzVal

May 7, 2018

sideboard is a mass manipulation and essence scatter that you cant see. I gotta sieboard hard for certain aggro decks but it does pretty well. I should prob main deck a few cast downs but meh...

That Pelakka Wurm has saved me so many times...one of my favorite magic cards, It use to be uncommon!

That stuffs for nerds.

But nah, ramp isn't really an issue. only a couple of cards in the deck are over 5 mana.
I am having issues seeing the image on phone, you can export the decklist to clipboard on the deck selection screen.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am having issues seeing the image on phone, you can export the decklist to clipboard on the deck selection screen.

4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
3 Forest (RIX) 196
2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
2 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
1 Pelakka Wurm (M19) 192
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
3 Island (RIX) 193
3 Swamp (RIX) 194
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
1 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
2 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
1 Woodland Stream (RIX) 191
2 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Nezahal, Primal Tide (RIX) 45

4 Negate (RIX) 44
1 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
4 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
2 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
1 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Folks, if you're going to play the card Sleep, make sure you target the right player.

unknown.png

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Folks, if you're going to play the card Sleep, make sure you target the right player.

unknown.png
LMAO
maybe he was giving up?

Just got my 15 daily wins, most of them in ranked, so moved up to silver on my first ranked day, using mostly a Riot deck I had brewed instead of my main deck and winning even on a mulligan to 4, lol.

the PlayArena code is still valid, best pull was a Gold Wildcard, no great pulls today but finally unlocked the rest of the decks so got some useful things to apply wildcards on

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the healthiest standard has ever been? Here's list of decks off the top of my head that are all competitively viable:

Mono Red
RW Aggro
Drakes
Azorius Aggro
Mono Blue
BG Explore
Sultai climb
UW Control
Esper Control
Bant Nexus
Caveman Gates
Genius Gates

There's probably others I forgot, and there's also a bunch of fringe decks (Gruul Stompy, Jund Whirler, RB Aggro) that are very good but just unexplored.

It's interesting that the metagame seems really good, but the last time a card had as much vitriol directed at it as Nexus does, it was AWM and that was one of the worst standards of all time.
Esper midrange seems to be doing well, too. I hate how Azorius Aggro is just White Aggro with a deputy thrown in...

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking I'm probably going to blow all my wildcards this weekend and build a "real" deck. Either Drakes or Gates. Just not sure which.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thinking I'm probably going to blow all my wildcards this weekend and build a "real" deck. Either Drakes or Gates. Just not sure which.
Which version of Gates? The creature version is worse, but it's pretty light on rares.

I think the Gate deck really exemplifies one of my biggest problem with the current WC system. The deck is so much better with Plaza of Harmony, but they don't fit in any other deck. You're spending 4 wildcards on a incredibly narrow card.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Which version of Gates? The creature version is worse, but it's pretty light on rares.

I think the Gate deck really exemplifies one of my biggest problem with the current WC system. The deck is so much better with Plaza of Harmony, but they don't fit in any other deck. You're spending 4 wildcards on a incredibly narrow card.
Didnt know you could use wildcards on. Cards you didnt had! Luckily used all my mithics and rares on staples but wasted some uncommons that wish could have used on the explore cards from ixalan.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at my tapped out profile the other day and saw I had made a gates deck like 5 years ago when the last Ravnica set hit. I wonder how a modern Gates deck would do. Crackling Perimeter with Wilderness Reclamation would be disgusting.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was looking at my tapped out profile the other day and saw I had made a gates deck like 5 years ago when the last Ravnica set hit. I wonder how a modern Gates deck would do. Crackling Perimeter with Wilderness Reclamation would be disgusting.

I was wondering about this too. I suspect it's probably too slow for the format, but there is a lot to work with now.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not into the idea of playing Nexus of Fate to be completely honest. I just like the idea of ramping into big shit. I'm with you on the feel-bads for Plaza, which is why I'm also considering Drakes.

If I had unlimited wildcards I'd probably build some Vanni-pod decks because I think that card is super sweet. But that deck by its nature is going to be almost entirely rares and mythics.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Nexus of Fate is such a feel bad card it makes Teferi downright loveable by comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of Nexus, plus the Arena exploit that they don't fix for some reason of taking infinite turns with no timer and having it glitch your opponent into timing out if they don't click at the right times. In real life you can't do that because you just fast-forward through the infinite do-nothing combo.

And yes it's basically rewritten history where Teferi is kinda "oh, that's a bit of an annoying card" and a new stupid card is in town.

I assume they're not banning anyone for infinite no-effect mechanical exploit loops because someone made a very good point -- if people were intentionally glitching the system and getting banned for it, people would be posting and claiming they were banned for no reason, and that's not really happening yet.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'm not wasting wildcards on Plaza. I substituted Frilled Mystics and have had good results so far.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a combination of Nexus, plus the Arena exploit that they don't fix for some reason of taking infinite turns with no timer and having it glitch your opponent into timing out if they don't click at the right times. In real life you can't do that because you just fast-forward through the infinite do-nothing combo.

And yes it's basically rewritten history where Teferi is kinda "oh, that's a bit of an annoying card" and a new stupid card is in town.

I assume they're not banning anyone for infinite no-effect mechanical exploit loops because someone made a very good point -- if people were intentionally glitching the system and getting banned for it, people would be posting and claiming they were banned for no reason, and that's not really happening yet.

I keep hearing about this (particularly what happened to Shenhar), but I play a ton and I haven't encountered it at all. If someone starts resolving Nexus of Fates and digging to find more Nexus of Fates I'll just concede.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the trouble is that they can cheat on deck construction and include literally zero win conditions, which gives them more room for answers. So while yes, it's positive life EV to just concede early, it gives these people extra percentage points.

Wizard needs to just take the L and ban Nexus, or at least ban Reclamation.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing about this (particularly what happened to Shenhar), but I play a ton and I haven't encountered it at all. If someone starts resolving Nexus of Fates and digging to find more Nexus of Fates I'll just concede.
If you always concede before it can happen, I'm not surprised you haven't encountered it at all. :P

Well the trouble is that they can cheat on deck construction and include literally zero win conditions, which gives them more room for answers. So while yes, it's positive life EV to just concede early, it gives these people extra percentage points.

Oddly enough I noticed a banned card in Standard last night, some random thing from an Ixalan set. I didn't realize any of the ingame cards were banned.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm not wasting wildcards on Plaza. I substituted Frilled Mystics and have had good results so far.

I'll be very surprised if Frilled Mystic isn't a staple in any deck that can handle it moving forward. This Standard is filled with tons of expensive powerful cards, and an unconditional counter attached to a relevant body seems incredibly strong. I'm considering replacing the gate angels in my board for them, just because the control heavy match ups are kind of annoying.

If you always concede before it can happen, I'm not surprised you haven't encountered it at all. :P

Exactly! There's no value in just watching someone cycle cards. Just pretend one of those Nexus is an actual win condition and consider it a loss imo.

I'll be surprised if they ban either. Early results don't show them as being particularly problematic, and whatever NPE they cause can be mitigated by other, better changes (implementing a chess clock, for example).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be very surprised if Frilled Mystic isn't a staple in any deck that can handle it moving forward. This Standard is filled with tons of expensive powerful cards, and an unconditional counter attached to a relevant body seems incredibly strong. I'm considering replacing the gate angels in my board for them, just because the control heavy match ups are kind of annoying.

If you don't have plaza, you might want to keep the angels for the life you might lose to early aggro.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you don't have plaza, you might want to keep the angels for the life you might lose to early aggro.

Oh, I have the four plazas. I dislike the WC system, but I'm also a whale.

To be honest, I've just been unimpressed with the Angel into matchups where I really want more life. Six mana, even if you accelerate it, is just so much. If I'm getting to the point where I can resolve an angel, I've probably already resolved some sweepers and have enough space to win the game regardless. I'm going to try some Knight of Autumn or Frilled Mystics out instead.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I have the four plazas. I dislike the WC system, but I'm also a whale.

To be honest, I've just been unimpressed with the Angel into matchups where I really want more life. Six mana, even if you accelerate it, is just so much. If I'm getting to the point where I can resolve an angel, I've probably already resolved some sweepers and have enough space to win the game regardless.

If you have the plazas then you can probably afford to dump the angels, or maybe sideboard. Honestly the angels as creatures never seem to earn their keep anyway, but the life gain is nice against all the mono red out there.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you have the plazas then you can probably afford to dump the angels, or maybe sideboard. Honestly the angels as creatures never seem to earn their keep anyway, but the life gain is nice against all the mono red out there.

You are right that if you resolve an angel and get like ~12 life back you're going to win the game against most aggressive decks. My theory is that something like a Knight of Autumn will give you enough health to stabilize, be live more often, while also offering fringe benefit like beating down in extra turns or destroying enemy WR, Azcantas, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough I noticed a banned card in Standard last night, some random thing from an Ixalan set. I didn't realize any of the ingame cards were banned.

Yeah - Rampaging Ferocidon. Looking back on how much banning we went through over the past two years it's kinda funny to see that poor little dinosaur still in timeout.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I just wonder if Ferocidon would even make it in Mono-red right now. It'd go in the sideboard at least, I assume?

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sideboard for sure. With the exception of the exact split of Keld/Risk Factor, I think the 60 of the mono Red aggro deck is basically pretty solved now.

Sep 14, 2018

You can go ahead and give up hoping Nexus and especially WR get banned, it would be play design conceding defeat basically, which isn't happening and these cards are just nowhere near needing to be banned. The most they would do is maybe hit Nexus in duo standard if it really starts taking over which I doubt would ever happen with so many good aggresive decks running around. It's just a daydream by people who get annoyed at never having turns again.

WotC hates banning cards and it's an absolute last resort, the last few standard bans came after attendance at lgs had dropped considerably and as far as I know that's not happening now so...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Reclamation has plenty of utility in a variety of decks so I don't think it needs banned. Nexus of Fate is just repeatedly kicking your opponent in the groin.

Oct 25, 2017
You can go ahead and give up hoping Nexus and especially WR get banned, it would be play design conceding defeat basically, which isn't happening and these cards are just nowhere near needing to be banned. The most they would do is maybe hit Nexus in duo standard if it really starts taking over which I doubt would ever happen with so many good aggresive decks running around. It's just a daydream by people who get annoyed at never having turns again.

WotC hates banning cards and it's an absolute last resort, the last few standard bans came after attendance at lgs had dropped considerably and as far as I know that's not happening now so...
They don't have to treat real life and Arena the same, that's the point. They could alter something where if you try to take infinite turns with only Nexus left, you force pass / lose, or ban it in best of 1 Arena, or whatever.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They don't have to treat real life and Arena the same, that's the point. They could alter something where if you try to take infinite turns with only Nexus left, you force pass / lose, or ban it in best of 1 Arena, or whatever.

Or check this out: every player has a 10-15 minute chess clock. If they stall you out by looping, they'll just lose eventually. This also fixes how much of a pain in the ass it is to play big mana decks with X spells.

Admittedly, if they do this they're going to have to do what MODO did and punish people who intentionally stall the game when they're losing.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with a chess clock in general because I like shorter games instead of 35+ minute games, but I know I'm the minority. I've longed for a chess clock in games like Destiny as well in real life, since there are people who will happily drag out a few turns if it means they'll win because of some tiebreaker because you didn't get another turn or two.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaay be done with constructed event and playing minimal constructed in general for the time being because Nexus + Wilderness Reclamation is getting really bad. I did two rounds today of constructed event and it was somewhere in the 50-70% range were damn Nexus decks. And unlike Teferi which I'd just call unfun... are we sure this isn't far enough to call straight up busted? Because I'm having trouble seeing how you have a firm chance against them unless they have horrible draws if you're not blue. Like, Mono-Red Aggro has a chance, kind of, but from my experience it was actually kind of a poor matchup because of all the damn stalling cards, and it sure as hell isn't a counter to the deck. And like, Cat Combo got emergency banned, right? Well this is one mana higher and is a less firm insta-win (IE they only probably have the lock like 95% of the time once they have the combo, versus 100% win), but it looks to me like this deck has better tools to reach and protect the combo, and it's still a damn turn 5 "I instantly win" combo.

I will admit I'm kinda tilted right now though because on one of the games I had a damn monstrous board (including having stolen their Teferi and having like 4 8/8+s on the board) only to get fogged twice into infinite lock. And I made the mistake of first hanging around to see they actually had the lock and I wasn't getting another turn, and then waiting to see if they actually had a win condition. Turns out they managed one at the very bottom of the deck: using Teferi to clear the board and then using that one dual card where the one mode is spawn two 1/1 thopters to peck to death. So yeah, thaaaaaaat was lame.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maaaaaay be done with constructed event and playing minimal constructed in general for the time being because Nexus + Wilderness Reclamation is getting really bad. I did two rounds today of constructed event and it was somewhere in the 50-70% range were damn Nexus decks. And unlike Teferi which I'd just call unfun... are we sure this isn't far enough to call straight up busted? Because I'm having trouble seeing how you have a firm chance against them unless they have horrible draws if you're not blue. Like, Mono-Red Aggro has a chance, kind of, but from my experience it was actually kind of a poor matchup because of all the damn stalling cards, and it sure as hell isn't a counter to the deck. And like, Cat Combo got emergency banned, right? Well this is one mana higher and is a less firm insta-win (IE they only probably have the lock like 95% of the time once they have the combo, versus 100% win), but it looks to me like this deck has better tools to reach and protect the combo, and it's still a damn turn 5 "I instantly win" combo.

I will admit I'm kinda tilted right now though because on one of the games I had a damn monstrous board (including having stolen their Teferi and having like 4 8/8+s on the board) only to get fogged twice into infinite lock. And I made the mistake of first hanging around to see they actually had the lock and I wasn't getting another turn, and then waiting to see if they actually had a win condition. Turns out they managed one at the very bottom of the deck: using Teferi to clear the board and then using that one dual card where the one mode is spawn two 1/1 thopters to peck to death. So yeah, thaaaaaaat was lame.

Are you playing Bo1?

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's actually a fair point. I just got way into the habit of always picking Bo1 and squeezing in games when I could, but I probably should do Bo3 when I'm planning on playing longer, like doing an event or something.

I think if you're going to play Bo1 you really have to be okay with just losing some matches before the game even begins. I think Bo3 Magic is better in basically every conceivable way except for time commitment, but honestly if you have time to play 3 Bo1 matches, you should probably just play a Bo3 instead.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Zacama is my new favorite inclusion in a Gates deck. Late-game it's absolutely hilarious to just drop on the board and wreak havoc.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all have any go to Magic sites for strategy? I check MtgGoldfish and Channel Fireball but their content is a lot of non Arena talk so I'm looking to expand.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Am I right in thinking that Gates is a very competent deck to build on a budget? Gates and most of the Gate's matters cards are uncommon and common from what i can see.

Been playing with RG Ramp Dinos + Amplifire and Sarkhan's Unsealing. Its funny seeing Amplifire hit Ghalta and become a 24/24 and wins the game out of nowhere. Even if you don't win, Amplifire hitting any dino pretty much makes Ghalta's cost GG.

Thinking of adding Unsealing to Gates as well since Ram and Colossus should both trigger it and the flame waves should help stabilise and end the game.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is this the healthiest standard has ever been? Here's list of decks off the top of my head that are all competitively viable:

Mono Red
RW Aggro
Drakes
Azorius Aggro
Mono Blue
BG Explore
Sultai climb
UW Control
Esper Control
Bant Nexus
Caveman Gates
Genius Gates

There's probably others I forgot, and there's also a bunch of fringe decks (Gruul Stompy, Jund Whirler, RB Aggro) that are very good but just unexplored.

It's interesting that the metagame seems really good, but the last time a card had as much vitriol directed at it as Nexus does, it was AWM and that was one of the worst standards of all time.

i feel like drakes is the only deck i can build with my WildCards (20 / 19 / 9/ 3) - what's peoples favorite flavor of that deck?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Tearing people apart, limb by limb, with the new Pteramander and Essence Capture enhanced Mono-Blue. So good. Pteramander, as I imagined, has been a bomb, saved my skin on a top deck more times than I care to admit :D

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I ran 2 mono U CEs last night and found the deck super underwhelming (Bo1). It just seemed so inconsistent, which is definitely not what you want in a mono color aggro deck. I guess I was probably misplaying it as it's supposed to be super strong. Adapting 2 or more pteramanders for lethal is pretty great though.