• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like some advice about the last few cards to cut, please. I was pumped at how many Ixalan cards I got that I had 0 copies of! My goal is to have at least 1 of every card in the game.

ix_1f4jpu.jpg

My current guesses are to cut these spells:

Enter the Unknown
Aggressive Urge
Strider Harness? (but rocket-powered creatures are so coooool)

I could also cut Shore Keeper if I'm going to cut any creatures.

Your mana base is super rough. I'd cut all the white spells (It's going to be really hard to cast Zetalpa because of the WW). Probably both artifacts too beacuse they aren't that strong.

Edit: probably worth splashing for the Radiant Destiny but I would still cut the other white cards.

Oct 25, 2017
But Zetalpa the dream! And I have a Sunpetal Grove! ;_;

I really love the idea of Zetalpa, but just in case, do you strongly feel Enter the Unknown and Agressive Urge are worth keeping over the white cards / artifacts?

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
They really should do like 2 set release schedules to keep everyone busy. Alternate legacy and modern sets. Start with Revised, Legends, Dark & Fallen Empires and only allow it for an old legacy/vintage style format. Keeps everyone busy with collecting more cards, they already have the art work, general balancing and most of the card rule implementations in the game anyway.

God, I'd do unspeakably things to get all magic editions in here.
And people buy more packs, so where is the downside for them? -_-

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK OK

this weekends draft is going SO much better than my first one last weekend.

right now i am 3-1

paid more attention to curve, made sure i had a sick bomb, included some great flyers and strong removal:

Exultant%20Skymarcher-1200x1200.jpg

147.jpg

25.jpg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Shout-out CFB for the GP coverage. Graphics/camera are fine, commentary is looser than usual GPS and they interact with chat

Oct 25, 2017
Drafted Ixalan for the first time last night. Got a sick-ass 7-0 Merfolk deck. I had draws that looked like Constructed decks; multiple Adepts, multiple Boons, etc.

Then I drafted it again tonight and wend 7-2 with UW skies/ascend. I can't remember it's name, but there's a 5CC 3/5 that gains 2 life whenever it takes damage. That thing is nuts. I played two Negate and was super happy with both. Also had three Legion Conquistadors and managed to naturally draw all three of them once.

The format seems decent. Not quite as on rails as Ravnica, but the drafts definitely try to pull you hard in certain directions. Both drafts had really, really confusing signals, and it wasn't until mid pack two that I felt I found my lane.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ended up 4-3 in Draft Ixalan

Loving this format - I was always so intimidated playing limited as a kid, I'm glad I finally decided to commit to learning it

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
35 more packs, or 3 weeks of dailies/free packs, and I'll have all the rares of RA, barring I don't get mythics or wild cards obviously. From there it's nothing but mythics, and thats about another 30 packs. Since I def don't need a playset of all the mythics this set, I'll prob open another 40-50 packs then just sit on the gold till WotS. This has been a great set, made a good dozen decks so far. I reeeeeally hope they release cosmetics with the next set. I can't wait much longer!

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm speaking from complete ignorance about game development here, but is there something preventing them from churning out cosmetics (namely boards) faster?

Like even switching basic land art is some arcane task right now.

Also has anyone else noticed the motion blur effects? I think it's new.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They only have limited ressources, so it is just a question of ressource allocation. Right now these ressources are more urgently required in other areas (there is still no friends list!!!). Thankfully they are also acknowledging this instead of trying to make the quicker buck.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will take cosmetics over friends list. Wheres my goddamn animated Elspeth portrait that talks everytime I play a card?!

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably knee deep in animation work for the new set. Based on that last earnings call it seems MTGA is more popular than they anticipated so I wouldn't be surprised for more manpower to be given to the team.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
5 win traditional constructeds with my jeskai angels, i dont own any ixilan binding but conclave is fine, i think deck is very fun to play as well , i guess i'll replace the one plain next time i get a rare wc but it doesn't matter it was winning 66% before i crafted a bunch of these rare lands too. justice strike is very strong once you know your opponent is playing x/x creatures, just have such a nice toolbox of sideboard abilities with these colors you always gain ground after you see their deck and sub in

4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
2 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
1 Shock (M19) 156
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Plains (XLN) 261
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
3 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
1 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99

1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Revitalize (M19) 35
1 Essence Scatter (M19) 54
2 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
1 Dive Down (XLN) 53
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Shock (M19) 156
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Absorb (RNA) 151

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just so you know duplicate protection only applies within-rarity. So if you have all the rares your rares will not be upgraded to mythics, you will start to receive 20 gems when you would have gotten a rare.

That sucks, but that just saves me a bunch of gold on buying packs. The Only mythics I actually still want are a playset of biogenic ooze and Prime speaker, even though simic is my least played deck type. I'm gonna just hit diamond this season then gamble 1 or 2 traditional constructed a day for dailies and rares till the next set hits.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an almost-guaranteed 4-win cascade deck? I want to get 4 wins at least once, but more than any other mode I can remember, it feels like virtually every opponent is an insanely slow snail. Like, 2 cards, no hardly any mana, super obvious choices, sits there 2 minutes and burns timeouts.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Mono red variants work good. I used a G/W deck for multiple 5 win runs. Also there's a U/W variant with that 2drop legendary that prevents the opponent from using cascade.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, rough frigging night. The longer I've been playing this, the more I see the variance begin to take its toll. Losing the flip to go first (moreso in bo1), getting queued into a hard counter, or just getting boned in draws. Somethings gotta be able to offset the feelbad of a long losing streak. I have to believe there's a background MMR in place even in casual, but Magic is a complicated enough game to make even strong MMR flop. I dunno what the solution is, other than just stop playing for the night. But that's not really a good fix, ya know?

Whatever. Let us be comforted by the goodest of boys that is currently playable in standard.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kraul Harpooner is very satisfying out of the sideboard vs Mono-Blue. Feels a lot like Raptor Hatchling did when I was bringing that in for Izzet vs Red and White aggro. The game feels so much more in hand when you draw one or two of those.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read somewhere about an upcoming Ixalan Sealed event, but I can't find it anywhere, and now Dominaria Sealed has started.

Does anyone know anything about it? I still need TONS of Ixalan cards and am trying to do another event or two.

*edit* I also see Dominaria Sealed ending halfway through March, with no sealed event announced to replace it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There is no better feeling than dropping a card, seeing your opponent hover over it to read what it does, then having them concede.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Any suggestions for a deck featuring Venerated Loxodon? I've got 4 and I wanna try out some kind of deck that utilizes them.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stomping my way through platinum with Gruul is hilarious. It's like RDW but for bo3. You jst kinda don't give a shit what your opponent is doing and just keep playing whatever. Rhythm of the Wild turns everything into a ballistic missile to your opponents face. I laugh at board wipes then play 3 3/3 chamber guardians. Then they kill those and get a hasted 13/2 Harpooner to the face. Turn 4 hasted Nullhide is the thing of nightmares for half the meta decks at the moment. Easily my go to deck at the moment, helps that it's super satisfying to play against pretty much any deck type, mainly because of rhythm and cindervines.

Oct 25, 2017
Stomping my way through platinum with Gruul is hilarious. It's like RDW but for bo3. You jst kinda don't give a shit what your opponent is doing and just keep playing whatever. Rhythm of the Wild turns everything into a ballistic missile to your opponents face. I laugh at board wipes then play 3 3/3 chamber guardians. Then they kill those and get a hasted 13/2 Harpooner to the face. Turn 4 hasted Nullhide is the thing of nightmares for half the meta decks at the moment. Easily my go to deck at the moment, helps that it's super satisfying to play against pretty much any deck type, mainly because of rhythm and cindervines.
Decklist please?

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
10 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
1 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
2 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
3 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
2 Domri, Chaos Bringer (RNA) 166
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130

2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
3 Crushing Canopy (GRN) 126
4 Cindervines (RNA) 161
2 Dire Fleet Daredevil (RIX) 99
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

I only have 3 Nullhides so I thew in a Goreclaw, which can be hilarious in it's own way if it somehow survives a turn.

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I think Gruul is the one guild I can't really build with my MTGA collection, I have 0 of all the mythics (Skarggan/Domri).

Oct 25, 2017
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
10 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
1 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
2 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
8 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
3 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
2 Domri, Chaos Bringer (RNA) 166
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130

2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
3 Crushing Canopy (GRN) 126
4 Cindervines (RNA) 161
2 Dire Fleet Daredevil (RIX) 99
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

I only have 3 Nullhides so I thew in a Goreclaw, which can be hilarious in it's own way if it somehow survives a turn.
Thanks. Some of the deckbuilder improvements are good, but I particularly wish they hadn't changed these things:

1. You can't change land art without importing now.
2. You can't see your wildcards without hovering over the little item at the top now.
3. They completely removed the filter option to show cards you own but don't have 4 of. WHY?

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of heavy decks I tried going more for dinosaurs this time. I'm posting my deck yet again because this is my last Ixalan chance unless it extends through the coming weekend.

unknown.png

I need to cut a couple of non-creature spells and a bunch of creatures. I currently have 18 lands. The only things I really want to try keeping in the deck if possible are Golden Guardian and Storm the Vault, both of which seem neat. Any advice is welcome, even better if it includes an explanation so I can understand why.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
6 green sources, 6 blue sources, 7 red sources, when do you think you will ever play all these double colored spells? This deck is all over the place, I do not even know where to begin. Sorry to be this frank. Cut one color (your red spells are very weak) and hope for the best.

Oct 25, 2017
6 green sources, 6 blue sources, 7 red sources, when do you think you will ever play all these double colored spells? This deck is all over the place, I do not even know where to begin. Sorry to be this frank. Cut one color (your red spells are very weak) and hope for the best.
Thanks, red seems like the most likely cut. I was excited to try the storm card with all the blue spells but I'll give up the dream and maybe do it in constructed some day. :P

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.channelfireball.com/art...-cast-your-spells-a-guilds-of-ravnica-update/ to follow-up with why you should be very wary of spells that require more than 1 of a specific color. You'll be able to cast those 1UU, 2GG, etc spells ~50% of the time on curve with only 6 sources in a 40card deck.

While we are sharing decks for advice - this is my Sealed Deck (currently 2-1)

Yeah, same advice as Blizzard. The Tempest Djinn is a great constructed card, but with only 9 blue sources of mana, you'll be able to cast Djinn on curve only 37% of the time. So in almost 2/3s of your games it's a dead card until you live long enough to cast it.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.channelfireball.com/art...-cast-your-spells-a-guilds-of-ravnica-update/ to follow-up with why you should be very wary of spells that require more than 1 of a specific color. You'll be able to cast those 1UU, 2GG, etc spells ~50% of the time on curve with only 6 sources in a 40card deck.

Yeah, same advice as Blizzard. The Tempest Djinn is a great constructed card, but with only 9 blue sources of mana, you'll be able to cast Djinn on curve only 37% of the time. So in almost 2/3s of your games it's a dead card until you live long enough to cast it.
Thanks for the link! It looks like they adjusted things since the previous article but it's still low.

I guess the implied advice is that if you can't consistently cast something on curve in limited you shouldn't run it?

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the link! It looks like they adjusted things since the previous article but it's still low.

I guess the implied advice is that if you can't consistently cast something on curve in limited you shouldn't run it?

You can't win games if you don't cast spells! There's some wiggle room obviously, but if you adjusted your curve to show "when you can reliably cast the spell", it would be ridiculously high. A lot of your 2,3,4 drops (aka the meat of a limited deck) can't really be played as 2,3,4 drops. Your deck won't get going reliably until you're dead.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the first thing I've learned with this deck is that the auto-mana-tapper is ridiculously broken if you have Gold-Forge Garrison. I've only wasted it one turn thus far, but every single spell by default tries to tap the Gold-Forge Garrison even if you're going to have like 5 mana leftover that could have been usde instead.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One thing to add is that the CMC does not necessarily indicate when you want to play a spell. For example Mortify (1BW) is a strong card even if you cannot cast it reliably on turn 3 when splashing for one of the colors. Just make sure that you treat the card accordingly, i.e. more like a 4 or 5 cmc spell depending on your mana.

Oct 25, 2017
Well dang, that worked out in my favor. I didn't realize damage while fighting is not "combat damage", so I totally killed a first strike angel with a kraul harpooner after thinking I misplayed.